Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I thought it had useless articulation. He really could only stand there, just like the vintage one, lol. So there were ugly line breaks that weren't even necessary. Also, hated the wind blown fur on the legs. Lastly, he would not stay looking up. His head would always fall down. And again, I considered the neck articulation useless and a problem that didn't need to exist.
    Wow! Personally, I love the MOTUC Battle-Cat!!

But, I can see where your coming from... I had a similar problem with the neck. I ended up using mini-rubberbands to tighten the joint and keep him looking forward.

That said, I would absolutely love a definitive Filmation version! I feel he is just as important a character as He-Man himself. And since he would essentially be a newly tooled figure, he would look grand!! (Yellow eyes and all!)

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    The only fatigue I experienced was loose ankle fatigue, followed by reversed shoulder fatigue, and then bobble head fatigue.
    Faker, you might want to see a doctor about that!

JK!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the NEW ADVENTURES lineup !!!

Since when is the voicing of opinion propaganda?
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by FAN-DOR View Post
    No but I am getting tired of the anti-Filmation propaganda.

It makes me wonder if people even listen to the words "collector's choice". To me that says that it can be anything. Any character from any era and in any style. It doesn't say it has to be in any particular style. I mean it's weird that people hate the Filmation lack of detail but never complain about characters like Gwildor who are overly detailed and also don't fit in with the average classics styled figure.

At any rate, the complaining gets old. Personally, I've been tired of classics characters I've never heard of for years. Is there a thread on that?
    Trust me, I have nothing good to say about Gwildor.

'Collector's Choice' isn't really a good name because we all want different things. In fact I read it literally as 'the choice of one collector'. I don't know who that collector is, but I know his choices and mine aren't exactly aligned.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

As a fan of NA, I'm highly annoyed that the CG slots seem to be going to Filmation characters, but I do like getting the Filmation figures in Classics. As for the vintage style figures, I think the Filmation versions are a complete waste, at least in terms of my own interest. I'd rather see unproduced figures, and perhaps even re-issues of the laser figures.

Totally Dyslexic
    No but I am getting tired of the anti-Filmation propaganda.

It makes me wonder if people even listen to the words "collector's choice". To me that says that it can be anything. Any character from any era and in any style. It doesn't say it has to be in any particular style. I mean it's weird that people hate the Filmation lack of detail but never complain about characters like Gwildor who are overly detailed and also don't fit in with the average classics styled figure.

At any rate, the complaining gets old. Personally, I've been tired of classics characters I've never heard of for years. Is there a thread on that?
    Figures like Gwildor are not fitting either, you are totally right all the movie figures are designed after actual real life designs. As stunning as these are they are simply not fitting well with most of CLASSICS figure aesthetics. I totally agree with you.

But there are people who say they need FILMATION versions for characters like Adora, Jitsu or Entrapta. Which makes me go like:

Entrapta for example is suppose to have two colored hair. Its mentioned in her bio on the back of her CLASSICS blister card and the figure has single colored pink hair with ribbons because the FILMATION artists had to find ways to keep the designs simple so they can reuse them.

I´m pretty sure these artists would have preferred more variety in the design as well but were limited because of the cell reuse process.

That´s why i always liked the CLASSICS aesthetics and there is a to much or to less. It´s the balance i´m looking for.
    Last edited by Niki; March 15, 2018 at 10:38am.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    Trust me, I have nothing good to say about Gwildor.

'Collector's Choice' isn't really a good name because we all want different things. In fact I read it literally as 'the choice of one collector'. I don't know who that collector is, but I know his choices and mine aren't exactly aligned.

But he speaks so highly of you!

He is probably one of the more over detailed figures. Which goes to show you that the CC line does include a huge variation. I don't think any of the figures I have seem really out of place with one another from cc - but that's just me.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I am really enjoying this discussion. Seems like we have an even split. Some folks have been desperate for these truer Filmation versions, while others are less enthused like I am

Filmation was, is, and always will be a big part of Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power to me, but there's been too much of a glut of it both lately and forthcoming for my own personal tastes. I liked it being a part of Masters of the Universe Classics (Ex. Adora, Orko, Queen Marlena, Plundor, etc...) but not stylistically taking over. I just find myself caring less about releases the more Filmation creeps in. My enthusiasm has dulled.

Haven't read the thread, I intend to and will after posting this, but in response to the question the thread poses?
    My answer is a firm YES. I've never been a huge Filmation fan, I've tolerated it, I appreciated it to a degree for what it is and what it did for the brand. But it's not ever been "my MotU". And lately I'm feeling like it's taken over the brand. Yay for the Filmation fans. But again... #notmymotu.

My wallet is appreciating this Filmation trend though. With Club Grayskull, a lot of the Funko PoP stuff, etc. All this MotU merchandise I'm not buying!

EDIT: Okay, quickly browsed the thread. Only thing I'd like to re-iterate is... I am happy for the Filmation fans, they're getting their due for sure because they're right, there has not been Filmation specific product like this ever before. I know Eric loves making the Filmation stuff because it creatively stretches new muscles for him so to speak. And at the end of the day, I feel like they make great figures. And I'm still keeping my statement that, YES... I am experiencing "Filmation fatigue".
    But I don't think it's just "Filmation fatigue"... I honestly feel "MotU fatigue" right now.

But I'm still in the camp, and always will be, one that has never really cared for the Filmation take on MotU. I've got the Classics, I'm a fan of the added details, and the slightly more serious tone for MotU. And I love my collection because it reflects that. But I have nothing against anyone that loves their Filmation stuff.

I love MotU. I always will.
    I've loved and continue to love everything the Horsemen are doing for and with MotU.
    I still want Snake Mountain, Stridor, etc. in Classics. I still want Classics to continue, but I'm happier honestly at this slower pace for it. I don't need a figure or three a month anymore. I'm good with a yearly small batch of new figures. I've loved getting the Classics again with this recent Super7 release, I feel like I've been able to appreciate these few four figures more because it's been so long.

I'm just fine with waiting another 6-8 months to get the next batch. I'm sure it won't be that long? But if it is? That's fine for me.

Really I need some inspiration to do some really epic MotU art again. Maybe someday...
    Last edited by Baena; March 15, 2018 at 07:33pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    As a fan of NA, I'm highly annoyed that the CG slots seem to be going to Filmation characters, but I do like getting the Filmation figures in Classics. As for the vintage style figures, I think the Filmation versions are a complete waste, at least in terms of my own interest. I'd rather see unproduced figures, and perhaps even re-issues of the laser figures.
    I also don't mind the Filmation aesthetics creeping into CC... then again, if I had my way, we would see four New Adventures figures and four Filmation figures every wave!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    While I have no interest in Filmation-style figures, I can't say I'm fatigued by them. I simply don't buy them. I'm glad they're making them for those who want them, they're just not for me. I do find it a little annoying that Filmation seems to be the main focus of Super 7's MOTUC continuation, but at the same time, I understand why that is. With traditional MOTUC-style figures, we're down to mostly Z-list characters, while the Filmation line still has plenty of major characters left to be produced. It's obvious which of those lines is going to sell better, regardless of the inherent quality of the figures themselves.
    My only major gripe is figures that are obviously Filmation-styled taking spots in the Collector's Choice waves. That should absolutely never happen, and hopefully wave 2 will be the last we see of that. Can you imagine the reactions if CC figures were eating up spots in CG waves?
    I was going to type out my thoughts but then this post said basically exactly what I was going to say.

I'm not personally interested in the Filmation style figures but I don't hate that they exist or anything. I am disappointed that a figure like Hawke was clearly a Filmation design and was shoved into Collector's Choice because it was a new character. For Collector's Choice it definitely should have been "Classicized" more and the alt head should have drawn more from 200x design than simply plugging in a different hair color.

I don't have Granita in hand obviously, but I'm also worried that her design is more Filmation simple than Classics detailed and feel like she may look a little out of place next to Rokkon and Stonedar for that reason.

I suppose it's a result of Super7 wanting to have it's cake and eat it too with Collector's Choice. But it's frustrating for me since I don't want or need the Filmation style figures in my collection. Filmation characters are fine but keep them in that classics style please if they are slotted into Collector's Choice. The CC wave 1 has such a stark contrast between the detailing on Quakke and Fangor compared to Hawke. If I'm only getting 4 CC figures a year at this point, I need them to all hit the mark.

I fully understand those who have been waiting more than 30 years for cartoon faithful figures and I don't begrudge them their line at all. I just wish it didn't come at the potential diminishment of the line I prefer.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually when Gwildor was released there WERE complaints about "over detailed" styling. But, since the figures existed in the vintage line with more movie detailed looks they probably got a little extra leeway with some Classics collectors. But you're right, Gwildor stands out in my classics collection - even more so than Blade and Saurod - so I tend to hide him in my display. And people complained about Madame Razz, for example who was a little "too simple" for the line at the time because she didn't have any vintage figure to fall back on she was much more 'animated'.

So the complaints about figures aesthetics not meshing with Classics style isn't new. It's just that those issues were old, the issue with Hawke, and potentially Granita are fresh and relevant and voicing opinions about them now could potentially have some impact on Super 7's choices going forward.

At any rate, the complaining gets old.
    But complaining about complaining is ALWAYS fresh and interesting

Personally, I've been tired of classics characters I've never heard of for years. Is there a thread on that?
    I think almost every character poll thread and every new figure reveal thread features a healthy dose of exactly that. So no worries, plenty of opportunity for you to get that stuff off your chest I think.

Court Magician
    MOTU is an unusually diverse brand, so it follows its fans are as well; every new reveal is going to **** off a whole bunch of people.

I'm not too bothered about the amount of Filmation we've been getting recently - there's plenty of weird or obscure stuff sat on my shelf that I've always wanted but never got before, it wouldn't feel right to me to begrudge Filmation fans the same thing.

Myself, I would prefer previously-unreleased Filmation characters to have a bit more 'oomph', but since it might be the only versions we'll get of, say, Hawker or Dylamug, I can understand leaving them more cartoon-based since that's their primary source. I mean, I'd have loved all those straight-up vintage replicant figures in the last few years to have had a bit more going for them too, but I get why it didn't happen.

I guess it depends on how much a fan you are of a particular part of the mythos. My favourite part has always been POP - in all its forms, but particularly the cartoon. So all those classics that took more from the 'toon than the toys seemed utterly right to me, but must haves grated on fans of the vintage figures. Sometimes the brand decisions work in your favour; sometimes they don't.

I also understand the thinking behind keeping previously-unreleased characters in Collector's Choice - the classics have always been about maximising the number of characters they can sell (ToyGuru straight up said it in the early days, hence the various new characters borne from concept designs), so it makes sense to me that new characters would end up there, with the Filmation line being a string of variants.

All in all though, I think of myself less as a Filmation fan or Classics fan or NA fan or whatever, and more as a really greedy fan that's easily swayed by neat-looking figures. In a collection that spans a couple hundred figures and a dozen different takes on the property, you're bound to get a continuum of detail from Filmation Beast Man to Gwildor, and I really enjoy that diversity.

Yes and no.

As someone who loves every facet of MOTU, I have loved Classics’ approach to bringing all factions and eras into the same line with a mostly uniform style, and thought I didn’t need Filmation versions, until I actually had them in hand, and now Filmation He-Man is undoubtedly my definitive version.

But I don’t want to see Filmation styled figures in the CC line. Hawke wasn’t ‘Classicised’ enough for my taste, she looks far too plain and underdetailed.

Characters like Scorpia and Shadow Weaver were done perfectly for me. They look close enough to their Filmation versions that they can work in a Filmation display, but were given enough detailing to not look out of place with the other Classics.

If a character has never been made before I’d rather see them in CC with that level of detail.
    I’m worried that figures like Hunga will be in the CC line but with completely Filmation styling, but I think she’d look better with detailing in her fur and wings.

And for the CG line I mainly want to see characters that are very different to their toy versions, like the Horde mostly. I’m not really interested in characters that will look the same but with the details smoothed out, like Man-E. He looks dull to me.

Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Not at all. I love the Filmation figures that we're getting with Club Grayskull. They're the only new figures that bring me joy.
    MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Filmation Buzz-Off, Filmation Sy-Klone, Ice Armor He-Man, and SNAKE MOUNTAIN!!!

I still love watching the cartoon.

However, as far as figures are concerned, I‘m definitely worn out. I have stopped collecting CG and sold all my Filmation figures. I just don’t think they are executed very well. Especially the S7 figures are sub par in my opinion.

Im actually on the verge of starting to hate the Filmation aesthetic for the negative influence it has had on CC Hawke.

We are getting way too many Filmation figures in wave 2 and I hope future waves will be more evenly balanced.
    Last edited by Grayskull's Heir; March 21, 2018 at 10:56am.
    Awesome sticker included!

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    i hate that simplified childish cartoon design. sure if was fine for what it was meant for, but it's horrible in toy form. standing next to motuc or other current modern action figures, the CG figures look like big versions of the reaction figures (which i also hate). they shouldn't be in collector's choice.

the fact that the cartoon aesthetic didn't bring droves of new customers proves that it isn't the huge draw that people kept saying it would be.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    the fact that the cartoon aesthetic didn't bring droves of new customers proves that it isn't the huge draw that people kept saying it would be.
    That's a very good point which I hadn't considered. Of course we don't know for definite that Filmation sales aren't crushing the regular Classics, but I suspect it's the collectors who've been here since the beginning who are supporting both lines equally.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    i hate that simplified childish cartoon design. sure if was fine for what it was meant for, but it's horrible in toy form. standing next to motuc or other current modern action figures, the CG figures look like big versions of the reaction figures (which i also hate). they shouldn't be in collector's choice.

Val Confirmed filmation Club Grayskull outsells Collectors Choice
    Last edited by degra; March 21, 2018 at 10:06pm.

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, roboto, shadow weaver, entrapta , adora, moss man, stratos, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

That makes sense. A lister is an A lister.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Val Confirmed filmation Club Grayskull outsells Collectors Choice
    That's not gospel or official.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    That makes sense. A lister is an A lister.
    It makes you wonder how Super7 will keep this boat floating without characters like Teela, Hordak, MAA, and tri-Klops...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    It makes you wonder how Super7 will keep this boat floating without characters like Teela, Hordak, MAA, and tri-Klops...
    It won’t. I see between motu fatigue, the over demanding nature of current fans and the dwindling list of characters that there’s only a few years left. Once the bulk of CG is done it’ll end

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, roboto, shadow weaver, entrapta , adora, moss man, stratos, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    It won’t. I see between motu fatigue, the over demanding nature of current fans and the dwindling list of characters that there’s only a few years left. Once the bulk of CG is done it’ll end
    I agree with you.

But, I think you're being generous when you say a few years left... I'm not sure there's enough gas left in the tank for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    That's not gospel or official.
    Well to be bluntly honest I'll take Val's words anyday than mere speculation.
    But it surely is nice to have a official statement about CG sales. Again loving the Filmation, I almost get rid of my classics in favor of shifting to CG but reconsider due to all the things and issues surrounding the current CG, Super7 might get crazy and suddenly drops it and I'll end up with incomplete set of my favorite characters ( it will be matty thundercats scenario again).

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I agree with you.

But, I think you're being generous when you say a few years left... I'm not sure there's enough gas left in the tank for a few years.
    You better hope there is if you and the other NA collectors want GG or Sagitar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Well to be bluntly honest I'll take Val's words anyday than mere speculation.
    But it surely is nice to have a official statement about CG sales. Again loving the Filmation, I almost get rid of my classics in favor of shifting to CG but reconsider due to all the things and issues surrounding the current CG, Super7 might get crazy and suddenly drops it and I'll end up with incomplete set of my favorite characters ( it will be matty thundercats scenario again).

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    Hey Brian & super7 could surprise us at some point saying we got the Thundercats Lic.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Kittrina, Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor.

It isn't just MOTU. Transformers Masterpiece has followed a very similar trend in that the Takara Masterpiece line is now very much slavish towards the original G1 cartoon and there's fans that absolutely detest it......

Not me though. I grew up on this stuff. It's like pure nostalgia hits one after another and long may both Club Grayskull MOTU and Sunbow Masterpiece rule. I got into MOTUC not that long ago and the after market prices were absolutely ridiculous. Not only have I been able to essentially collect from the start at reasonable prices (and for all the posturing about Super 7 prices, this stuff is small fry money wise for collectables) but it's been really invigorated by that simple Filmation styling.

Love it. I hope at the very least we get the main tv cast before all the complaining brings it to a crashing halt. Which it will do in time sadly.