Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?

Heroic Warrior
    [QUOTE=mjw41;3773535

Hey Brian & super7 could surprise us at some point saying we got the Thundercats Lic. [/QUOTE]

I would so love that.
    But not right now. I feel that until Super 7 can get ahead of all these quality and shipping issues, not to mention customer service responses, they need to focus on what they have now without over extending themselves any further then they are already.
    I don't want subpar figures just to say I have the figures. I'm willing to pay premium price for a premium figure. Nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by TAAO View Post
    I would so love that.
    But not right now. I feel that until Super 7 can get ahead of all these quality and shipping issues, not to mention customer service responses, they need to focus on what they have now without over extending themselves any further then they are already.
    I don't want subpar figures just to say I have the figures. I'm willing to pay premium price for a premium figure. Nothing less.
    They do seem to be in over their heads right now... acquiring the ThunderCats license would be an absolute nightmare at this point in time.
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

8 years without Filmation figures and then finally a good chunk show up. Suddenly there's 'fatigue'. I think if we replace 'fatigue' with 'I'm not a big fan of Filmation and I think we should get back to more years of classics' then that might be a better way of saying it.

I personally like the classics, but I also like Filmation. I feel I have enough vintage and 200x figures and want more Filmation at this point. I was actually going to quit MOTUC back before the Filmation figs were announced.

But I hope to pick and choose (and get help through friends and penpals) when it comes to what Filmation figs I'll get. There's a lot of lame looking minor Filmation characters, yes, I do admit it. And some of the classic versions look better.

To keep the line going, I hope Super7 also puts out more Ultimates and Mattel Grayskull Series 1 so new fans can catch up.

Hate to say it, but if there is no marked 'tuning' of the plastic to be seen, and definite improvements over the many and varied qc issues we've witnessed, then come wave 2, I am going to have to count myself among the "back to the original factory or bust" crew.

The ultimates had their faults to be sure, ie. ram mans 'gray', skeletors painted hands, but... that's all I can think of! Super7's second offering pales in comparison.
    Last edited by Zodac; March 23, 2018 at 08:15am.

I cannot describe myself as having Filmation fatigue as there are still so many figures in that style I would like to see.

My personal preference would be instead of a four : four split between Classics and Filmation, if we got a six : two split in favour of Classics. I guess this bias comes out of wanting to see so many new characters realised in figure form while we have this opportunity.

Classicized versions of Filmation characters could help even out the offerings so it is win-win for everyone, leaving room for new characters. Something like:

Filmation:
    Stratos
    Grizzlor

Classics:
    Hunga the Harpy
    Kothos
    Lady Slither
    Garn (mini-comic)
    Queen Andreeno
    Great Black Wizard
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Warrior
    I wouldn't say that I am suffering Filmation fatigue. I have enjoyed being able to collect both toy based versions and animated versions of each character as they are both iconic looks for me, and though they are so different, I love both versions. I can't wait to see more animated versions of the rest of the Horde characters. The only characters that that I may have a little Filmation fatigue on is the POP characters as most of them were more Filmation based. I like Club Grayskull, but they are the one faction I may not need to see in that line, and would actually like to see versions based more on their vintage figures.

I wonder how people would feel about a Filmation Horde heads pack... similar to the Heads of Eternia pack?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I wonder how people would feel about a Filmation Horde heads pack... similar to the Heads of Eternia pack?
    No. I want the full figure of filmation mantenna, grizzlor, leech. And for that matter bright pink Shadow Weaver with Styrax, entrapta and catra with a less bulky outfit and cape with a harsher head with blue hair to go with Hordak and dylamug and tung lashor That’s just half-assing things. We had enough of that with the poor Pop girls in Motuc.

No do the filmation Horde all the way like they did Hordak
    Last edited by degra; March 24, 2018 at 01:25am.

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , moss man, icer , buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, stratos ram man, frosta, bow, shadow weaver, catra, catra frosta, panther form ,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    No. I want the full figure of filmation mantenna, grizzlor, leech. And for that matter bright pink Shadow Weaver with Styrax, entrapta and catra with a less bulky outfit and cape with a harsher head with blue hair to go with Hordak and dylamug and tung lashor That’s just half-assing things. We had enough of that with the poor Pop girls in Motuc.

No do the filmation Horde all the way like they did Hordak
    I agree, besides what good is an head pack if the Filmation accurate head is a different colour to the Classics body (definitely in the case of Leech) and the fact that some folks have reported the Super7 heads aren't compatible with the Mattel figures. Not even mentioning it's very expensive for new folks to buy the original Classics versions and MOC collectors would not be happy having a Filmation Hordak, but no Leech, Grizzlor or Mantenna to go with him.

It worked for 200x to get a 200x/Classics hybrid design but it would not work for Club Grayskull since the idea is pure Filmation aesthetic.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Grizzlor, Mantenna, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Val Confirmed filmation Club Grayskull outsells Collectors Choice
    Well I mean, this makes sense because CG is starting at the beginning; it’s a chance to start a collection with the most important characters. CC is reaching deep into the cracks and crevices, and personally I find that really interesting and want to stick with that.

But really, please remember that this is not a competition guys.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultramega View Post
    8 years without Filmation figures and then finally a good chunk show up. Suddenly there's 'fatigue'. I think if we replace 'fatigue' with 'I'm not a big fan of Filmation and I think we should get back to more years of classics' then that might be a better way of saying it.

I personally like the classics, but I also like Filmation. I feel I have enough vintage and 200x figures and want more Filmation at this point. I was actually going to quit MOTUC back before the Filmation figs were announced.

But I hope to pick and choose (and get help through friends and penpals) when it comes to what Filmation figs I'll get. There's a lot of lame looking minor Filmation characters, yes, I do admit it. And some of the classic versions look better.

To keep the line going, I hope Super7 also puts out more Ultimates and Mattel Grayskull Series 1 so new fans can catch up.
    I agree with pretty much all of that.
    My assumption was that the "fatigue" question pertained more to actual Club Grayskull collectors, not to people who don't care for or collect CG to begin with. Although, I suppose the fact that there has been some bleedover of CG aesthetic/design into CC muddies this a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I cannot describe myself as having Filmation fatigue as there are still so many figures in that style I would like to see.

My personal preference would be instead of a four : four split between Classics and Filmation, if we got a six : two split in favour of Classics. I guess this bias comes out of wanting to see so many new characters realised in figure form while we have this opportunity.

Classicized versions of Filmation characters could help even out the offerings so it is win-win for everyone, leaving room for new characters. Something like:

Filmation:
    Stratos
    Grizzlor

Classics:
    Hunga the Harpy
    Kothos
    Lady Slither
    Garn (mini-comic)
    Queen Andreeno
    Great Black Wizard
    I'm not sure that I would be entirely opposed to the idea of this, provided that 2 of the offerings in CC were indeed Filmation figures done in such a way that they were compatible with Club Grayskull figures. I suppose Lizard Man would be an example of this (I don't have him so can't say for sure) but I do have Scorpia, and she fits well with my CG. Sure some liberties are taken, but IDK, I guess if the balance is like 80 pure Filmation/20 Classics, it seems to gel ok.

But I would say, definitely release the true A/B list heavy hitters as pure Club Grayskull Filmation.

Not saying that this is neccessarily what I personally want to see, but its also not something I would neccessarilyn never want to see. Just kicking around ideas.

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultramega View Post

Eight years of no FILMATION?

FILMATION is every where in MOTUC: Starting with Adora and Orko. Queen Marlena. Castaspella. Peekablue. Entrapta. Glimmer and than we got Shadow Weaver, King Randor, Fang-Man, Octavia, Sea Hawk, Plundor, Shakoti, Lizard Man, Madame Razz, Arrow and many more.

Some small details like dots and lines where added but still those are pure FILMATION.

I thought about it and in the end itīs all about money. As international customer i had to pay the double price anyway sometimes even more than that with taxes and shipping but with those reduced detailed figures i have to pay more and i get less. So itīs up to me if i decide if itīs worth it and frankly, iīm not sure.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Eight years of no FILMATION?

FILMATION is every where in MOTUC: Starting with Adora and Orko. Queen Marlena. Castaspella. Peekablue. Entrapta. Glimmer and than we got Shadow Weaver, King Randor, Fang-Man, Octavia, Sea Hawk, Plundor, Shakoti, Lizard Man, Madame Razz, Arrow and many more.

Some small details like dots and lines where added but still those are pure FILMATION.

I thought about it and in the end itīs all about money. As international customer i had to pay the double price anyway sometimes even more than that with taxes and shipping but with those reduced detailed figures i have to pay more and i get less. So itīs up to me if i decide if itīs worth it and frankly, iīm not sure.
    Some of those are Filmation accurate like Razz Orko Kowl Broom Lookee But the others are filmation characters in decidedly inaccurate overly stylized figures. So really 2016 is first year of getting Filmation characters that look cartoon accurate in thirty years. So between CG releases and the few MOTUC filmation characters that slipped through like Adora Hawke Dylamug that’s still maybe 20-24 figures compared to 300 of CC.

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , moss man, icer , buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, stratos ram man, frosta, bow, shadow weaver, catra, catra frosta, panther form ,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Totally Dyslexic
    Some of those are Filmation accurate like Razz Orko Kowl Broom Lookee But the others are filmation characters in decidedly inaccurate overly stylized figures. So really 2016 is first year of getting Filmation characters that look cartoon accurate in thirty years. So between CG releases and the few MOTUC filmation characters that slipped through like Adora Hawke Dylamug that’s still maybe 20-24 figures compared to 300 of CC.
    Donīt get me wrong but there is no accurate in any case.

Original He-Man was created with long hair in the mini comics and he never had that. So he will never be 100% accurate. Itīs all interpretation and itīs more the design that counts when it comes to FILMATION. The symmetric designs to make the cells more changeable.
    Teela in that weird laughing sequence looked different since they used the laughing thing for Evil Lyn and Teela. All the characters looked different from time to time since they were drawn from different persons.

And when it comes to sizes. Lizard Man is smaller but when you look at Ceratus, he was sized down for MOTUC as well so FILMATION isn't the only style who is not 100% accurate.
    They decided early on every woman is as tall as the men. In the early mini comics Teela clearly was smaller than the guys but in MOTUC she isnīt. Not 100% accurate and interpretation.

Thatīs why i think FILMATION is given to much importance in the last few months or so.

I want more diversity again like we had before. I love Granitas design but to make her more fitting with her team mates itīs good that she gets more details since their outfits were reduced because of FILMATIONs design choices for the cartoon. Hawkes outfit is pretty but she has lost every ape aspect Stratos has and thatīs bad since her 200X counterpart has them and that makes more sense if you ask me.

Diversity is my wish. In MOTUC and in real life but thatīs political and that doesīt belong in this forum
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I don't know if I would call them overly stylized. Do the Filmation CC figures have a bit more detail? Yes. But, I think that they lean more toward their Filmation appearance than not. I am content with characters like Masque, Fang Man, Lizardman, E.P. Randor, Marlena, Shokoti, Strong Arm, Shadow Weaver, etc.

These characters are so close to their cartoon counterparts that it would be a huge mistake for S7 to implement them in Club Grayskull. They would be a tough sell to anyone, Filmation fan or not, to put more money on a figure who might look just slightly different than the ones they already have...

Donīt get me wrong but there is no accurate in any case.
    This is true.

Never mind all of the myriad interpretations of characters (Alcala, Norem, Texiera, Timm, etc, etc.), just look at He-Man from the Fimation cartoon. He looks different from scene to scene... and is incredibly hard to pinpoint an "accurate" portrait. Mattel did a good job of capturing the animated look, but as much as I love their version, I have seen customs that look way better.

Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?

Seriously, this “inaccurate” thing has to go. “Inaccurate” would be if they colored Shadow Weaver bright blue. That she has some shading and a toy style horde bat is a design embellishment.

The only way to get perfect Filmation anything would be to get cels, because figures are in three dimensions and thus “inaccurate” at all but except one very specific viewing angle.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    If you ain’t down with that, we got two words for you... Filmation Forever.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Seriously, this “inaccurate” thing has to go. “Inaccurate” would be if they colored Shadow Weaver bright blue. That she has some shading and a toy style horde bat is a design embellishment.

The only way to get perfect Filmation anything would be to get cels, because figures are in three dimensions and thus “inaccurate” at all but except one very specific viewing angle.
    Inaccurate is the perfect word. The motuc pop match nothing. Not toys nor filmation. You’d be hard pressed to show me an image of those gals in those exact costumes from
    A comic panel or filmation episode

On the other hand, you can see the CG figures look spot on. I could post screenshots or cels of he-man, Teela, Tri-klops, beastman, evil-Lyn etc and the figures side by side. Can’t do that with POP gals or Fang-or or Icer(a figure I’d like revisited properly in CG) for example

Yes there’s a lot of sources for how many motu characters look That’s not an issue. My issue is a lot of motuc aren’t based on those sources but are an amalgamation by the 4H and license by their artists which sucks

Totally Dyslexic
    Inaccurate is the perfect word. The motuc pop match nothing. Not toys nor filmation. You’d be hard pressed to show me an image of those gals in those exact costumes from
    A comic panel or filmation episode

On the other hand, you can see the CG figures look spot on. I could post screenshots or cels of he-man, Teela, Tri-klops, beastman, evil-Lyn etc and the figures side by side. Can’t do that with POP gals or Fang-or or Icer(a figure I’d like revisited properly in CG) for example

Yes there’s a lot of sources for how many motu characters look That’s not an issue. My issue is a lot of motuc aren’t based on those sources but are an amalgamation by the 4H and license by their artists which sucks
    Iīm one of the biggest vintage POP fan out there and i had hoped for vintage POP inspired outfits for MOTUC believe me BUT iīm glad we got amalgamation when it comes to their faces and hair. The FILMATION artists and designers gave all the characters their distinctive look.

The figures more or less had the same face with slightly different make up appliances. The hair length was all the same so they were brush-able. At the cartoon we got ... wait for it ... diversity and iīm glad we got that for MOTUC. Sure i had hoped for a curly haired second head for Glimmer and maybe a brunette long hair extra head for Angela. Maybe one day

And whatīs wrong with Icer. He is a fabulous figure. He looks like living ice. How awesome is that!?

Degra iīm honest here. Up until now i was a little jealous of you and all the others who only seem to like FILMATION aesthetics. You are getting all you wanted now while people like me who are not into the mainstream are still waiting for things. But i just realized you are trapped in your own world.

The saying be cautious what you wish for it could come true applies here. You are getting almost everything and you still arenīt happy at least it seems to me that way.

When ever there is the slightest argument involving FILMATION you are fighting everyone who isnīt completely agreeing with you. That must be exhausting. MOTUC opened up my horizon. I really like Icer as a figure, a character i never cared much for.

And thatīs why i say FILMATION is a great part of MOTU/POP but just one part there is still so much more we can get and thatīs why i want SUPER 7 to put the FILMATION aesthetics in the line they created especially for FILMATION but keep the other line as detailed and divers as it had been before.

Heroic Warrior
    Iīm one of the biggest vintage POP fan out there and i had hoped for vintage POP inspired outfits for MOTUC believe me BUT iīm glad we got amalgamation when it comes to their faces and hair. The FILMATION artists and designers gave all the characters their distinctive look.

The figures more or less had the same face with slightly different make up appliances. The hair length was all the same so they were brush-able. At the cartoon we got ... wait for it ... diversity and iīm glad we got that for MOTUC. Sure i had hoped for a curly haired second head for Glimmer and maybe a brunette long hair extra head for Angela. Maybe one day

And whatīs wrong with Icer. He is a fabulous figure. He looks like living ice. How awesome is that!?

Degra iīm honest here. Up until now i was a little jealous of you and all the others who only seem to like FILMATION aesthetics. You are getting all you wanted now while people like me who are not into the mainstream are still waiting for things. But i just realized you are trapped in your own world.

The saying be cautious what you wish for it could come true applies here. You are getting almost everything and you still arenīt happy at least it seems to me that way.

When ever there is the slightest argument involving FILMATION you are fighting everyone who isnīt completely agreeing with you. That must be exhausting. MOTUC opened up my horizon. I really like Icer as a figure, a character i never cared much for.

And thatīs why i say FILMATION is a great part of MOTU/POP but just one part there is still so much more we can get and thatīs why i want SUPER 7 to put the FILMATION aesthetics in the line they created especially for FILMATION but keep the other line as detailed and divers as it had been before.
    I guess I look at it differently. I waited 30 years to get animated figures. Had to settle for motuc classicized filmation figures. Then when finally getting animated and accurate figures I hear whining about Filmation fatigue. Motuc guys have 300 plus figures classicized. Filmation fans have like 20 and I have to hear complaining about Hawke or Dylamug or Granita being too simple or CG is getting three Power Con exclusives and poor CC is getting the shaft lol So I think I’m justified in countering that frankly the Motuc/CC fans act quite entitled. No we didn’t get Filmation POP we got some hideous hybrid of toy meshed with cartoon. No not every unique zfilmstion character has to be in CC with details because you know what they originated in the cartoon
    Last edited by degra; March 26, 2018 at 01:24am.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    CG is getting three Power Con exclusives
    Is there any photo of any of these items??

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhelmsley View Post
    Is there any photo of any of these items??
    Check the PowerCon thread, Val has been posting teasers.
    PS4 contact: Petruk1976
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...edback-Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
    Check the PowerCon thread, Val has been posting teasers.
    I know Val is so bad showing unpainted figure hints Someone even asked are you showing us the siding on your house
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

My two cents:

MOTU Classics was never intended to be an accurate representation of anything. From the release of King Grayskull, He-Man and Beastman back in 2008 the line had always been its own thing. It drew inspiration for characters from all the various versions of them over the years (toys, comics, cartoons) but the look of the resulting toy was unique to the MOTUC line. The goal of the line - as Scott pointed out years ago with his clumsy 'Classicizer' analogy - was to create all the characters in a stylistically similar manner. It was something that had never been done before, and to me this was the crowning strength of the line.

As the years went by the goal-posts moved. Mattel acquired the licence for Filmation characters. Passionate fans (of mini-comics and 200X as well as Filmation) told Mattel that they'd like to see specific versions of their favourite characters in the line. Mattel generally held firm and didn't bow to this pressure. 200X heads were even removed from releases that were planned to have them.

But then they relented. We started getting characters in the line where very little effort had been made to 'classicize' them. Not just Filmation characters such as Madame Razz, but also extra-detailed characters like Gwildor. When Scott left and the new Club Grayskull line was mooted, the writing was already on the wall for the one seamless style that had first been introduced in 2008.

Am I suffering from Filmation fatigue?

Well, it's not my favourite representation of the characters to be sure. In fact, it's probably my least favourite. I'd prefer a more consistent level of extra detail across all figures in the line. But I'm not going to let myself get too upset about it.

We're all MOTU fans and I'm not going to begrudge Blackiecats or Degra getting the versions of the characters they've always wanted. Sure if we get a Club Grayskull Kittrina instead of Collector's Choice one, I'll be disappointed. She won't fit quite as well with King Carnivus as I'd like. But I'm sure plenty of Filmation POP fans thought the same thing about Mermista's legs.

It's swings and roundabouts. The line had been going in one direction for years, now it's changed course, maybe in a few years it'll change course again. I'm happy to enjoy what we have while we have it. MOTUC is already a ridiculously long-lived line, if it's going to last for another ten years we're all going to have to accept that it has not, does not, and will not satisfy all of us all the time.

Actually that was probably more than two cents.

@Neil, i guess that is the most enlightening 2cents i read. Thanks for the perspective.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!