Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should He-Man and Skeletor be Reissued Frequently for New Collectors?

Widget

Should He-Man and Skeletor be Reissued Frequently for New Collectors?

Should the standard outfit He-Man and Skeletor figures be frequently released?

I really want both the CC and CG lines to go as long as possible. For new collectors though, the lines would be hard to jump into without having the main characters easily attainable. The prices for the standard outfit He-Man and Skeletor are rather high on Ebay. Especially for Skeletor. Even the recent Ultimate and Filmation versions are priced exorbitantly high. I personally think someone getting interested in the line will quickly lose their appetite for motu if they can't easily get ahold of the two main characters. I also don't think the variants of the leader figures hold the same appeal. I suspect someone who hasn't jumped into the line already wouldn't be as attracted to Thunder Punch He-Man as they would the standard He-Man look. There was an attempt a few years ago on Mattycollector to keep the most popular characters available but I don't know if that helped bring in new collectors. Maybe it did? Someone here might know if it helped. I also think keeping other characters (in their standard outfits) readily available probably makes a difference. If I grew up loving Teela and can find her figure then that may get me interested enough to take a chance on a figure like Lodar.

Anyway, what do you think? Should Super 7 make He-Man, Skeletor, and maybe some of the other main characters frequently available?
    Last edited by zeiss; March 28, 2018 at 09:16pm.

I have often thought that He-Man and Skelly should be made evergreen for the exact same reasons you are saying...but it has been expressed to me numerous times that that CANNOT and WILL NOT happen. Ever.

Warehoused figures = Death of MOTU Classics.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 28, 2018 at 09:45pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Warehoused figures = Death of Line.
    Yeah. Just like warehoused Reaction figures have brought down that line.

Or warehoused He-Man glasses have brought down Super7.

Or warehoused T-Shirts have bankrupted Flynn.

I get they won't ever maintain evergreen figures (both Mattel and Super7), but I'd love to hear an actual reason why not.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I think He-Man and Skeletor as evergreens encourages new buyers to jump in.

Widget
    In most other enduring toy lines, the main characters are almost always available. You can always find a Darth Vader figure. Even with the expensive Hot Toys line, Darth Vader has been released multiple times in the past couple years. Optimus Prime and Megatron show up in every major transformers line. For example, in the main mass market adult oriented transformers line there have been four Optimus Prime figures in the last three years, all heavily influenced by his G1 appearance. And it is widely speculated that the next figure in their masterpiece series is G1 cartoon version Optimus Prime. While collectors sometimes moan about seeing too many versions of Vader and Prime, it seems Hasbro has figured out that they sell.

The ultimate line was a great idea from Super 7. I think it could be a good idea to release more waves and include He-man and Skeletor in each of them.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes. Albeit, with slight, mostly logical variations (e.g. whether that is paint differences or re-releases of the Battle Armour versions).

I'd personally extend it to also include She-Ra and Hordak. And I'd be tempted to go even further and include Man-At-Arms, Teela, Evil-Lyn and ... maybe Beast-Man (or perhaps Trap-Jaw) as well. Again, with slight, mostly logical variations.

Ideally, they would have the 8 main characters in the line (perhaps substituting Evil-Lyn for Zodak) available all the time. But they would have to view the line as a long-term investment (and not even Mattel really ever did that) and not something that has a dwindling customer base with no chance of renewal.

I believe (and Val and others disagree) that producing He-Man and Skeletor figures would be the equivalent of printing money. They have never failed to sell out and go for absurd prices almost as soon as they are released (look at the Ultimates).

Oh well. There are still a few tricks available for getting a Classics Skeletor and I don't really need any more He-Mans I guess.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    Ideally, they would have the 8 main characters in the line (perhaps substituting Evil-Lyn for Zodak) available all the time. But they would have to view the line as a long-term investment (and not even Mattel really ever did that) and not something that has a dwindling customer base with no chance of renewal.

I believe (and Val and others disagree) that producing He-Man and Skeletor figures would be the equivalent of printing money. They have never failed to sell out and go for absurd prices almost as soon as they are released (look at the Ultimates).

Oh well. There are still a few tricks available for getting a Classics Skeletor and I don't really need any more He-Mans I guess.
    He Man and Skeletor took a long time to sell out on Matty the last time they were on there. For a filmation reissue s7 can take preorders on both since they're made to order I dont see any downside to that unless they don't get enough interest for a full run.

I still stand by my idea that Super7 will, at some point, reissue Club Grayskull versions of He-Man and Skeletor.

I would take it as a two pack, I would take it as separate figures, heck, I'd even take them as convention exclusives!

Of course, I have a selfish ulterior motive for my optimism... see, I already have multiples of both HM and Skeley, but I want versions with corrected ankles and proper paint apps!!

Maybe, Super7 could sell a Filmation "Faker" that is essentially a He-Man figure with (fixed ankles) and a newly sculpted head that has white eyes.

Skeletor could be the "Three Terrors" version with removable wraps and a newly sculpted pointing hand and havok staff!
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Maybe not just as "evergreen" but just a simple re-issue would totally be welcomed, because prices for those on the secondary market skyrocketed fast. I really hope so, a 2 pack would be good too. You know they're fundamental for CG collectors
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Heroic Warrior
    I could see he man being in a future CG wave to bolster sells. With redder trunks and boots and a Faker Head pack in

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , moss man, icer , buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, stratos ram man, frosta, bow, shadow weaver, catra, catra frosta, panther form ,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Heroic Warrior
    And the prices for the Matty releases will probably still retain their value as the S7 will probably be of a lesser quality so the have and have nots both win

Heroic Warrior

I get they won't ever maintain evergreen figures (both Mattel and Super7), but I'd love to hear an actual reason why not.
    It's not just the cost warehousing but also production. Classics figures will cost much more to produce than any of that stuff.

There's also probably a bigger market for shirts and glasses than for toys. I've known plenty of people with He-Man shirts who do not buy the toys.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Court Magician
    He-man, Skeletor and several of the main cast should definitely be reissued and made available, but unfortunately the powers that be that hold the license, be it either Mattel or Super 7, don't seem to know how to market the line.
    The reason that Darth Vaders, Optimus Primes, Batmans, etc. sell is because they are out where they can actually be bought.
    We seem to constantly get this run around that Masters is a small niche market and they would wind up sitting on the figures in a warehouse. It's a small niche market because no ones trying to market it.
    Put just 4 to 6 of the main characters out in store shelves at a reasonable price and tell me they wouldn't sell, because if anyone believes that, they're kidding themselves. Just look at the Funko Pop or Loyal Subjects Masters. They constantly sell out.
    Holding a toy or collectors line hostage by only offering sales online in a buy all or nothing scenario is nuts. It's was crazy when Mattel did it, it's just as crazy now. Does anyone think Marvels Legends line would have been out for as long as it's been if it was only a niche collectors line sold online, with minimal marketing, no less?
    Sorry for the rant, but I'm kinda tired of hearing that only those of us who grew up on the Filmation line would collect the figures. Transformers, GI Joe, hell even DC and Marvel would only be niche lines if it weren't for being out in stores and accessible.

If Super7 had any retail outlet aside from their two stores that would be huge.
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Court Magician
    Even supplying Gamestop or Hot Topic with a run would drastically change the playing field. Hell, even if they struck a deal with Amazon, they'd be way more accessible then they are right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    Maybe not just as "evergreen" but just a simple re-issue would totally be welcomed, because prices for those on the secondary market skyrocketed fast. I really hope so, a 2 pack would be good too. You know they're fundamental for CG collectors
    It would be cool to see a He-man vs. Skeletor 2 pack, or even a He-man / Adam / Faker 3 pack, since we're mostly talking about paint and accessories. Since old tooling isn't accessible (we think), then it would be new tooling, anyway, new accessories (slight differences, anyway - maybe omitting Skeletor's energy blade from the new rendition), and I'm in agreement with others: I'd likely buy them again this way. It really seems like a good way to get new folks into the line and/or maybe get some folks who missed the first go-round excited again.
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Heroic Warrior

To be fair, that stuff costs very little to make whereas Classics/CG figures are very expensive. It would have a lot more of their capital resources tied up on a lower margin item. From a business perspective, that's not the best use of your resources.

When you're a small company like Super 7 in particular, you have to really be smart about that and how you allocate things.

That said, I get your point and agree with you despite explaining their viewpoint above. He-man and Skeletor will always sell, and if they were making them to replenish stock when they go into production on the pre-order figures, they could likely get the cost of production down for all of the figures and pad their margins.

You'd also be able to draw in more new customers to potentially sell other items to.

Southern California. Toy Capital of the World!
    I think evergreen anything kills a line. I remember that gi joe tried to keep several characters "evergreen" as recently as a several years ago. people quickly got tired of only finding snake eyes and cobra commander and duke on the pegs.

Anyone remember 200x? He-man and skelly waaaayyy to accessible lol.
    Vintage mattel had the right idea with recreating heman and skeletor every year with a new gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by TAAO View Post
    Even supplying Gamestop or Hot Topic with a run would drastically change the playing field. Hell, even if they struck a deal with Amazon, they'd be way more accessible then they are right now.
    Wasn't it said here that Super7's license for CC/CG doesn't really include the ability to do a large retail deal (ie they couldn't really sell them retail outside of their own two store locations)?

I could have swore I read that somewhere here...

I wouldn't say Reissued Frequently or even as evergreen items, But reissued yes.

Filmation He-Man & Filmation Skeletor many people want who missed out on the Mattel subscription for these. Also maybe reissue Ultimates He-Man & Skeletor

Since these would be made to order they get one reissue and if you snooze you lose.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

This is just a random thought, perhaps Super7 would be willing down the line to perhaps set a special wave where previously released figures are given a pre-order limit to be made and seeing if the fans are actually interested in buying more?

Seems like that'd be one way to have a "kind of" evergreen product in a made to order system. I think the limitation would be what Super7 had the tooling for that there wouldn't be a new expense to make (ie anything made in Mattel's factories - Ultimate Skeletor, Teela, Faker, Ram Man and He-Man, the CG releases under Mattel - might not be able to be made without, essentially, recreating them at this point)

No, I don't think they should be. It wasn't that long ago when Filmation He-man was available and you immediately heard lots of people expressing remorse that they didn't buy. And Ultimate He-man was just recently available and more people ended up passing and regretted it later. He-man has been available multiple times during the line's run.

Most people who passed already knew about this toyline. And these companies do less than nothing to introduce the line to some people who don't already know about it (kids, mostly...).

People need to stop being cheap and just buy them from resellers. I don't know why someone who's really cheap would be collecting toys in the first place. But I know from personal experience that they are legion.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; March 30, 2018 at 09:30am.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

I think semi-frequent re runs would be very welcome.

I had to buy both filmation he-man and Skelly from resellers. I paid £100 for Skeletor, and £150 for he-man!

If I could pick up one more pair to keep moc, I’d be over the moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not frequently, but yes.

We got a 2.0 early on. We got reissues later. We got the Ultimates. I'd like to see more runs of the previous Ultimates for sure. I'd like to see reissues of Filmation He-Man & Skeletor.