Thread: Should He-Man and Skeletor be Reissued Frequently for New Collectors?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Court Magician

Should He-Man and Skeletor be Reissued Frequently for New Collectors?

Should the standard outfit He-Man and Skeletor figures be frequently released?

I really want both the CC and CG lines to go as long as possible. For new collectors though, the lines would be hard to jump into without having the main characters easily attainable. The prices for the standard outfit He-Man and Skeletor are rather high on Ebay. Especially for Skeletor. Even the recent Ultimate and Filmation versions are priced exorbitantly high. I personally think someone getting interested in the line will quickly lose their appetite for motu if they can't easily get ahold of the two main characters. I also don't think the variants of the leader figures hold the same appeal. I suspect someone who hasn't jumped into the line already wouldn't be as attracted to Thunder Punch He-Man as they would the standard He-Man look. There was an attempt a few years ago on Mattycollector to keep the most popular characters available but I don't know if that helped bring in new collectors. Maybe it did? Someone here might know if it helped. I also think keeping other characters (in their standard outfits) readily available probably makes a difference. If I grew up loving Teela and can find her figure then that may get me interested enough to take a chance on a figure like Lodar.

Anyway, what do you think? Should Super 7 make He-Man, Skeletor, and maybe some of the other main characters frequently available?
    Last edited by zeiss; March 28, 2018 at 09:16pm.

I have often thought that He-Man and Skelly should be made evergreen for the exact same reasons you are saying...but it has been expressed to me numerous times that that CANNOT and WILL NOT happen. Ever.

Warehoused figures = Death of MOTU Classics.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 28, 2018 at 09:45pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Warehoused figures = Death of Line.
    Yeah. Just like warehoused Reaction figures have brought down that line.

Or warehoused He-Man glasses have brought down Super7.

Or warehoused T-Shirts have bankrupted Flynn.

I get they won't ever maintain evergreen figures (both Mattel and Super7), but I'd love to hear an actual reason why not.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I think He-Man and Skeletor as evergreens encourages new buyers to jump in.

Court Magician
    In most other enduring toy lines, the main characters are almost always available. You can always find a Darth Vader figure. Even with the expensive Hot Toys line, Darth Vader has been released multiple times in the past couple years. Optimus Prime and Megatron show up in every major transformers line. For example, in the main mass market adult oriented transformers line there have been four Optimus Prime figures in the last three years, all heavily influenced by his G1 appearance. And it is widely speculated that the next figure in their masterpiece series is G1 cartoon version Optimus Prime. While collectors sometimes moan about seeing too many versions of Vader and Prime, it seems Hasbro has figured out that they sell.

The ultimate line was a great idea from Super 7. I think it could be a good idea to release more waves and include He-man and Skeletor in each of them.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes. Albeit, with slight, mostly logical variations (e.g. whether that is paint differences or re-releases of the Battle Armour versions).

I'd personally extend it to also include She-Ra and Hordak. And I'd be tempted to go even further and include Man-At-Arms, Teela, Evil-Lyn and ... maybe Beast-Man (or perhaps Trap-Jaw) as well. Again, with slight, mostly logical variations.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post

I get they won't ever maintain evergreen figures (both Mattel and Super7), but I'd love to hear an actual reason why not.
    It's not just the cost warehousing but also production. Classics figures will cost much more to produce than any of that stuff.

There's also probably a bigger market for shirts and glasses than for toys. I've known plenty of people with He-Man shirts who do not buy the toys.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior
    He-man, Skeletor and several of the main cast should definitely be reissued and made available, but unfortunately the powers that be that hold the license, be it either Mattel or Super 7, don't seem to know how to market the line.
    The reason that Darth Vaders, Optimus Primes, Batmans, etc. sell is because they are out where they can actually be bought.
    We seem to constantly get this run around that Masters is a small niche market and they would wind up sitting on the figures in a warehouse. It's a small niche market because no ones trying to market it.
    Put just 4 to 6 of the main characters out in store shelves at a reasonable price and tell me they wouldn't sell, because if anyone believes that, they're kidding themselves. Just look at the Funko Pop or Loyal Subjects Masters. They constantly sell out.
    Holding a toy or collectors line hostage by only offering sales online in a buy all or nothing scenario is nuts. It's was crazy when Mattel did it, it's just as crazy now. Does anyone think Marvels Legends line would have been out for as long as it's been if it was only a niche collectors line sold online, with minimal marketing, no less?
    Sorry for the rant, but I'm kinda tired of hearing that only those of us who grew up on the Filmation line would collect the figures. Transformers, GI Joe, hell even DC and Marvel would only be niche lines if it weren't for being out in stores and accessible.

If Super7 had any retail outlet aside from their two stores that would be huge.
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post

To be fair, that stuff costs very little to make whereas Classics/CG figures are very expensive. It would have a lot more of their capital resources tied up on a lower margin item. From a business perspective, that's not the best use of your resources.

When you're a small company like Super 7 in particular, you have to really be smart about that and how you allocate things.

That said, I get your point and agree with you despite explaining their viewpoint above. He-man and Skeletor will always sell, and if they were making them to replenish stock when they go into production on the pre-order figures, they could likely get the cost of production down for all of the figures and pad their margins.

You'd also be able to draw in more new customers to potentially sell other items to.

Southern California. Toy Capital of the World!
    I think evergreen anything kills a line. I remember that gi joe tried to keep several characters "evergreen" as recently as a several years ago. people quickly got tired of only finding snake eyes and cobra commander and duke on the pegs.

Anyone remember 200x? He-man and skelly waaaayyy to accessible lol.
    Vintage mattel had the right idea with recreating heman and skeletor every year with a new gimmick.

I think semi-frequent re runs would be very welcome.

I had to buy both filmation he-man and Skelly from resellers. I paid £100 for Skeletor, and £150 for he-man!

If I could pick up one more pair to keep moc, I’d be over the moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not frequently, but yes.

We got a 2.0 early on. We got reissues later. We got the Ultimates. I'd like to see more runs of the previous Ultimates for sure. I'd like to see reissues of Filmation He-Man & Skeletor.

Heroic Warrior
    I think before super 7 even considers this, they need to improve their quality a lot! If new collecters get the same quality control issues that happened with wave 1, it will discourage them, just how i am now discouraged to get any new CC and CG waves from super 7.

Surely once Prince Adam has been made, most of the tooling would be there for He-Man? Wouldn't it just be the harness left to tool?
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

https://super7.com/collections/m-o-t-u/reaction-figures

You guys aren't talking about these are ya?

EDIT: Kidding of course, I know they also have the classics, but it would be great to play out some scenes I have dreamed about with this one.
    https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...nDetails/15900
    Last edited by Jaspercoyle; April 10, 2018 at 07:47pm.

I noticed that Club Grayskull He-Man and Skeletor are selling for big money each on ebay. Like Fisto & Shadow Weaver range. Maybe the Toys That Made Us doc on Netflix is stoking interest.