Thread: Looking at the new Super 7 figures from the eyes of a new collector ...

Widget

Looking at the new Super 7 figures from the eyes of a new collector ...

Hi all. Newbie around here and relatively newbie to the entire MOTUC line in general. I've read a lot of the posts on here complaining about the new Super 7 series and just wanted to throw in my two cents about how differently I view it all as a new collector.

I totally get the complaining once a line is as old as MOTUC -- I've been a collector in general my entire life, focusing mostly on wrestling. The current WWE line is in a similar spot to MOTUC. It's been around for years and years and now most people just want rare figures that only die-hards want, others almost nobody has heard of and others who just dislike where the line has gone. Overall that line is actually still pretty great. That's why it makes me chuckle to see some of the posts on here and how similar they are.

A few months back I decided to dip my toes into the MOTUC line. I fully admit I'm not an expert on MOTU in general ... I've enjoyed watching some of the show going back now on Netflix but went into the line really just because I thought some of the Mattel figs looked cool. I got my Super 7 first two sets in here other day, and I can see there are some minor issues here and there but overall I've just got to say as a new collector these figures look freaking fantastic. I've got over 1,000 wrestling figures in my collection but right now these two sets are some of my absolute favorite looking figures. The color, the design ... they look great! Originally I was more into the original Classics but these filmation figures continue to grow on me. They're really cool.

This may not be popular but with all of the complaints I've read on here I thought some might appreciate the perspective of a new collector. Thanks for reading!

Welcome aboard. Nice to see this view. I agree with you that they have a few issues but are overall fantastic. The issue is many that have collected since 2008 are use to a higher standard of toy. In example,armor swapping and head swapping. This seems to be less of a concern for super7. The plastic is still not Mattel quality,but I don't know if it ever could be. All in all,they are good figures,with room for much improvement. Which many of us believe is continuing to happen.

My wife is a Wwe collector,she has almost every Jakks classic figure. She bout a few Mattel figures but man what a collection she has.....maybe 300-400 figures. I can name maybe 5 of them.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLud View Post
    Hi all. Newbie around here and relatively newbie to the entire MOTUC line in general. I've read a lot of the posts on here complaining about the new Super 7 series and just wanted to throw in my two cents about how differently I view it all as a new collector.

I totally get the complaining once a line is as old as MOTUC -- I've been a collector in general my entire life, focusing mostly on wrestling. The current WWE line is in a similar spot to MOTUC. It's been around for years and years and now most people just want rare figures that only die-hards want, others almost nobody has heard of and others who just dislike where the line has gone. Overall that line is actually still pretty great. That's why it makes me chuckle to see some of the posts on here and how similar they are.

A few months back I decided to dip my toes into the MOTUC line. I fully admit I'm not an expert on MOTU in general ... I've enjoyed watching some of the show going back now on Netflix but went into the line really just because I thought some of the Mattel figs looked cool. I got my Super 7 first two sets in here other day, and I can see there are some minor issues here and there but overall I've just got to say as a new collector these figures look freaking fantastic. I've got over 1,000 wrestling figures in my collection but right now these two sets are some of my absolute favorite looking figures. The color, the design ... they look great! Originally I was more into the original Classics but these filmation figures continue to grow on me. They're really cool.

This may not be popular but with all of the complaints I've read on here I thought some might appreciate the perspective of a new collector. Thanks for reading!

Welcome to MOTUC!! All I'm going to say is thank you so much for the positive outlook and comments. Your perspective is very much appreciated! You are absolutely going to love collecting this/these lines (CC/CG). Please pay no attention to the negative people behind the curtains and just enjoy the experience!! I wish everybody else would lol.
    Last edited by depp76; March 31, 2018 at 06:37pm.

Welcome
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

Welcome aboard; it's great to read a fresh opinion. I've been pretty positive from the get-go on MOTUC, and even I could use a breath of this sorta air nowadays.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Welcome. Interesting point of view. It’s great to have a wide mix of collectors on here.

I think they look great. As you say, yes they can have issues, but what line does not? I think it's just having the correct perspective. This line is super great. I guess that's why it is what I am a fanatic of. I am a fan of it. Supafan really.

Hence why I post on these boards. I love the toyline, I love the toys, I love the property. I cannot imagine wasting time around a forum if I was not a fan of the line as it is versus the line I imagine in my head. It would be an endevour in futility.

Glad you like em, Welcome.

Hollywood Warrior InspectorZartan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkLud View Post

Welcome to the world of MOTUC collecting! Not to change topic, but something you said about Wrestling figure collectors caught my attention and I’m now curious about your perspective as an avid wrestling figure collector.

I collect many many different toy lines including some WWE figures. My wrestling figure collection is around 300-400 figures—so no where near as big as yours but also not shabby. That said I stopped watching wrestling on a regular basis about 10-12 years ago (right around the time of the Benoit incident) so while I still collect I don‘t keep up with the collector community outside of talking to a few people at SDCC every year and attending the WWE Mattel panel, and I don’t keep up with the who’s who of modern wrestlers outside of occasionally meeting a wrestler through friends, or work (I work in the film industry) or occasionally getting invited to hang out backstage at a TV taping when WWE is passing through town. So I’m admittedly out of touch with what/who the younger wrestling audience/collector is into and when it comes to my own wrestling figure collection I’m mostly just interested in the older ”legends” from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s and pass on most of the figures of the current era of wrestling. That said at least in terms of the legendary characters I feel like there are still a ton of top non-obscure legends yet to make it in the line and whenever I’m standing in the Mattel booth at SDCC looking at the new reveals what I’m often hearing (at least from the adult collectors) is “I can’t believe they still haven’t released such and such WWE Hall of Fame-er or such and such former Champion”. (Of course I know often times the reason these characters might be held up is due licensing contracts but nonetheless it doesn’t change their status as being demanded and not obscure).

But now I’m curious about what you were saying about most fans feeling like they have all the big guns and all that is left now are the obscure reminents. As a quasi outsider I always felt like there were tons and tons that Mattel still needed to do (at least among the legends). So now I’m curious and I’d like to hear more about your perspective and insight about how the wrestling figure community is viewing the line.
    Last edited by InspectorZartan; April 10, 2018 at 05:55am.
    TOP WANTS
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Malektha/Twiggets/RedKnight
    200X:Miro/Hawke/Illumina/BoneWarrior/ABCGiants
    NA:Nocturna/Sagitar/Kayo/Lizzor/Hoove/Vizar/
    Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    JETLAG:Sebrian/Andros/Drissi/Gleep/UR
    MISC:Delora/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndre/EvilRobot/Damon
    BEASTS:Stridor/Clawdeen/Storm/Bionotops/
    TyrantisaurousRex/Mantisaur/Moondancer

Totally agree with your observation.

Overall I felt the super 7 figures were great. Minor issues, sure. Most lines / figures have them if you look hard enough. Overall though they were well done and look good. They represented their source material well.

Character selection is where things get tough. You're right - we are in a point where all the main characters have been done and all that's left is more obscure ones. Before super7 wave 2 was revealed, Granita was one of the most requested. Hunga is one of those now in that spot. Had you said early in the line (like in 2010) that we needed Granita and Hunga, I think you would have gotten laughed at. I think anytime a line gets this far in fans are going to not be able to agree on the direction it takes. We can all agree Man-at-arms needed a figure before Granita, but not who should have been first between Lodar, Quuake, Hawke, or Fangor.

I think super7 is doing the best they can in trying to please as many as possible with the collector's choice. Obviously the filmation line is going to be met with more praise as they're hitting the A listers. Hordak and Teela are generally more desired than Lodar and Hawke. Overall the figures as action figures are good though.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorZartan View Post
    Welcome to the world of MOTUC collecting! Not to change topic, but something you said about Wrestling figure collectors caught my attention and I’m now curious about your perspective as an avid wrestling figure collector.

I collect many many different toy lines including some WWE figures. My wrestling figure collection is around 300-400 figures—so no where near as big as yours but also not shabby. That said I stopped watching wrestling on a regular basis about 10-12 years ago (right around the time of the Benoit incident) so while I still collect I don‘t keep up with the collector community outside of talking to a few people at SDCC every year and attending the WWE Mattel panel, and I don’t keep up with the who’s who of modern wrestlers outside of occasionally meeting a wrestler through friends, or work (I work in the film industry) or occasionally getting invited to hang out backstage at a TV taping when WWE is passing through town. So I’m admittedly out of touch with what/who the younger wrestling audience/collector is into and when it comes to my own wrestling figure collection I’m mostly just interested in the older ”legends” from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s and pass on most of the figures of the current era of wrestling. That said at least in terms of the legendary characters I feel like there are still a ton of top non-obscure legends yet to make it in the line and whenever I’m standing in the Mattel booth at SDCC looking at the new reveals what I’m often hearing (at least from the adult collectors) is “I can’t believe they still haven’t released such and such WWE Hall of Fame-er or such and such former Champion”. (Of course I know often times the reason these characters might be held up is due licensing contracts but nonetheless it doesn’t change their status as being demanded and not obscure).

But now I’m curious about what you were saying about most fans feeling like they have all the big guns and all that is left now are the obscure reminents. As a quasi outsider I always felt like there were tons and tons that Mattel still needed to do (at least among the legends). So now I’m curious and I’d like to hear more about your perspective and insight about how the wrestling figure community is viewing the line.
    Not to go too off topic but I did want to answer your question (and sorry for taking so long, hadn't been on here for a week or so).

My point with the WWE Mattel line (and I'm speaking also almost exclusively about the legends/flashback figures, those are my favorites too) is that it seemed similar to a lot of the posts I've seen on here where most die-hard collectors are unhappy about not getting obscure/rare names when in reality the line is still really great when you take a step back and think about it and people are just a little burned out (which goes along with what you said you're hearing at an SDCC, for example). With the WWE line in particular, really nearly all of the big guns have been made. It'd be cool if we got more obscure legends (I'd buy the hell out of a Repo Man or Ludvig Borga or The Mountie, and so on) but really the list of legitimate complaints shouldn't be that large at this point if you look at it objectively.

So yes, people do complain about not getting some of the random characters Jakks made, but to me a lot of those complaints are missing the point (I mean, do we really need an "Abe Knuckleball Schwartz"?) By the time Mattel is done with the line, they'll have a pretty darn full collection of legends (they just announced new Harley Race and Honky Tonk Man figures that look out of this world). And if the concussion lawsuit finally ends, then the floodgates could open -- that's really the only remaining sticking point that is tying up a lot of potential figures and it's hardly Mattel's fault. (If you want I could PM you a list of the guys remaining that Jakks did that Mattel hasn't, it's like 45 guys but I'd argue only 10 or so are must haves). Mattel has the line for a few more years and it would be a surprise if the agreement wasn't extended based on sales, so more names should get knocked off in time.

Also as an even further side note, if you don't watch the current WWE product (I only skim it myself, prefer classic WWF) give New Japan Pro Wrestling a look. It's incredible and rekindled my love of wrestling completely.

(Also love these new MOTUC figures!)

Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    Character selection is where things get tough. You're right - we are in a point where all the main characters have been done and all that's left is more obscure ones. Before super7 wave 2 was revealed, Granita was one of the most requested. Hunga is one of those now in that spot. Had you said early in the line (like in 2010) that we needed Granita and Hunga, I think you would have gotten laughed at.
    Actually, if I recall correctly, there were massive discussions back in 2010 amongst the fans about the need for Filmation figures, such as Shadow Weaver and Hunga. It was a massive sigh of relief in 2011 SDCC when Shadow Weaver and the Filmation rights were announced!

Otherwise, I agree with what you are saying in principle.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Positivity is always welcome around here!

Even I have fallen victim to the "curmudgeon curse", lol... and it's nice to hit the reset button every now and again!
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!