Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Answers to Fan Q&A 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    They didn't admit that all. They didn't say a single thing in your answer in their answer.

Had they said that, the answer would have made sense.
    Of course they're not going to speak that plainly, you have to use some deductive reasoning. Everything in my answer they said:

1) "The figures are slightly shorter than the original" - they are admitting that the figures are shorter (anyone can see this, but they admitting it)

2) "there is a slight shrinkage in the process","they often break and have to be repaired on site, resulting in the figure shown being not exactly the true proportions." - they are admitting here that the figures being shorter is not intentional, it is either because there was shrinkage, or the resin prototypes were damaged, or both.

3) The factory is in charge of handling the resin prototypes (and if there is damage, compensating for it), and engineering the molds to compensate for plastic shrinkage.

4) They admitted the figures are shorter than intended, but clearly, they didn't catch it when they were doing QC on the test shots, Super 7 is responsible for verifying that the test shots that the factory gives them match the resin prototypes before going into full scale production

In summary, they admitted the figures, they admitted this wasn't on purpose, and they pinned the blame on the factory, and by admitting the figures were supposed to be taller, they admitted that they didn't catch this mistake.

The figures will be this size going forward unless Super 7 corrects their mistake.

I disagree with your interpretation but there's no point litigating it.

And I'm pretty sure that if you read the second part (about the resin breaking) carefully, a more reasonable translation is that the prototypes break when being transported to conventions to display, meaning that the proportions fan see initially is not necessarily what is intended. Otherwise I can't understand why they say "the figures shown."

I think Super7 should stop the PR-double talk. It isn't helpful.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I don't think it's because of complaining. I think they want to avoid all the noise and static that comes from revealing the figures early. I think Super 7 wants more creative control over production of the figures and professional choices.
    Yes, I agree they're trying to avoid noise and static and they want to have more control, but that is the result of complaining. Mattel always showed the 4H prototypes in conventions, S7 did as well continuing the tradition, but then the production process introduced so many uncontrolled changes for S7 Wave 1 that the complaints about the gaps and QC came in high numbers (it seems). So, I don't really think S7 will be able to significantly enforce more controls on the production process; if that was the case, they could confidently show early prototypes as always. Instead, I think they will see how the figures end up and will show something closer to final products, to avoid that situation that could be summarized as "Hey, we were promised a beautiful Teela and now we got a barely acceptable one!". They're reducing the likelihood of high expectations, that's all they're achieving with this new "policy", so from a certain point of view it's a reaction to complaints, and that's also kind of punishment.
    Last edited by man-at-work; April 3, 2018 at 11:22pm.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    I disagree with your interpretation but there's no point litigating it.

And I'm pretty sure that if you read the second part (about the resin breaking) carefully, a more reasonable translation is that the prototypes break when being transported to conventions to display, meaning that the proportions fan see initially is not necessarily what is intended. Otherwise I can't understand why they say "the figures shown."

I think Super7 should stop the PR-double talk. It isn't helpful.
    Hmmm, I guess that interpretation makes sense. However, it doesn't really hold water as an explanation from Super 7's end, as there was nothing "off" about the prototypes we saw. Has anyone determined exactly which piece it is that makes the females shorter now? Or is it a combination of factors?

Regardless, the rest of my argument still stands. Super 7 is admitting there's a problem, and they're blaming the tooling process (for not compensating for shrinkage), and they're implicitly admitting that it's not something that they caught in QA. Going back to the original question, it does sound like they're saying the shrinkage was an "accidental byproduct."

Hopefully it means there's a fix in the pipeline, but I wouldn't rest on my laurels if I wanted to see a fix.

I actually like the answer about the wave 3 reveals. Now we know for sure we won’t be seeing anything for the next couple of months. I guess this means they might reveal wave 3 at SDCC or PowerCon.
    I think this makes perfect sense because of the massive delays we have seen with wave 1. I think it’s better if we don’t have to wait a year between the reveal and the arrival of the figures.
    Moreover, we have just had three reveals for PowerCon and might see another reveal, namely of a possible SDCC exclusive (which hopefully celebrates 10 years of CC!) before wave 3 gets revealed.
    I think that’s enough to keep the excitement alive. And knowing there won’t be any reveals any time soon helps to prevent possible disappointments of fans who might have been expecting more reveals in the next couple of weeks.
    Awesome sticker included!

Heroic Warrior
    Personally, I always thought the fact that Mattel’s female figures were exactly the same height as the male figures with little variation unless it was extreme (Glimmer vs Angela, for example) was a odd.

Reading through the question about the female figure height, I also read it as they came out shorter than expected, but at the time, there was little that could be done about it because the molds had already been cast.

I don’t see any issue with Hawke’s height, per se, as I thought most of the MOTUC being Amazon giants was a bit ludicrous.

I don’t have an opinion on Teela as I don’t collect the CG figures, but to me a bigger issue than the height is the mis-matched leg pegs used no them both.
    Last edited by Capt_Piett; April 4, 2018 at 04:58pm.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    We are going to hold off on an announcement at present, the idea being for us to be closer to delivering your Wave 2 figures (as well as being further along on Wave 3) before we start talking about future items. But we're very glad that you're excited, and we'll have a reveal to announce in the next couple months!
    They should reveal them at Power-Con for a couple of reasons. It's the right timing, it will make their panel a must-see and it will help them frame the discussion and answer any questions immediately. And do it on Saturday so there's opportunity to see the prototypes and build the buzz around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    They should reveal them at Power-Con for a couple of reasons. It's the right timing, it will make their panel a must-see and it will help them frame the discussion and answer any questions immediately. And do it on Saturday so there's opportunity to see the prototypes and build the buzz around them.
    But SDCC comes before Powercon and No offence meant here but SDCC is a much bigger event.

Wave 2 at present is slated to start shipping to us from Super7 sometime in August. So wave three should be shown at SDCC because Super7 will be pretty far along on them by that point not to mention There might be a Collectors Choice or Club Grayskull Super7 exclusive for SDCC.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

Heroic Warrior
    wait wait wait. Parts? I distinctly remember hearing four distinct body types. I think it was during a "Pixel" Dan walk through last year.

If it is truly parts instead of body types then I'm going to be a bit disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Super7 has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 6 questions!

This round of questions were selected by mjw41.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

1. King Tamusk: In an interview with Pixel Dan at SDCC 2017, Brian Flynn said that he obtained some tooled factory templates for toy pieces that were never used but intended for the 80s MOTU line. When will these be revealed to fans?

Yes, we do have some samples and test parts from the 80s line that were ultimately not developed. We are working on the cartoon accurate vintage style line now, and will be introducing these pieces at some point when that line is established. We don't have a time-frame to announce just yet, but please stay tuned!

the size difference was considerably smaller and actually figure ruining. if you keep them in box it doesn't make much difference, but like many, I take mine out and display- and Teela looks like an 11 year old amongst the other figures. that is not just shrinking in the mood there... i kinda need to see that sorceress now, and hope she hasn't suffered the same fate...
    Last edited by thatbloodymikey; April 8, 2018 at 07:18pm.