Thread: Motu re-imagining

Widget

Motu re-imagining

Hi

This is my re-imagining of the classic Skeletor. Taking influence from the foundation of the material then developing the design as I would for a real character in hi/her/its universe. My images have been used to promote MOTU movie news, I just wanted to point out I have nothing todo with the movie. This is for the love of MOTU and the art.

paul-gerrard-skeletorclassic-gerrardian-versions.jpg

This is really, really nice work. My only personal issue with it is the lack of a hood. Skeletor's hood is iconic. Other than that, beautiful job!
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Widget
    Thanks Wakko. I jhave put the hood on the todo list for sure. Aiming to do the armour version of him at some point as well.

I like seeing your artwork pop up in articles about the new movie... I hope the studio's design team is paying close attention to your approach, or even reaching out to you!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    I like seeing your artwork pop up in articles about the new movie... I hope the studio's design team is paying close attention to your approach, or even reaching out to you!
    Alas I have tried for years, pulled in every favour I ever had. I did a few pieces to try and get their attention. Sent it to everyone I knew, no replies. Then I saw what Goyer did to Teela . Thought, never mind I tried. So released the art publicly and started doing more of my own.

Top quality work as always! I did actually see this one back in December, along with your other MOTU pieces over at DevArt! How's the Kickstarter coming along?

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Top quality work as always! I did actually see this one back in December, along with your other MOTU pieces over at DevArt! How's the Kickstarter coming along?
    Building up to the big date now. Just a few more ink drawings and some big paintings and I think / hope it will be all ready by the 30th.

I'm certain you will get many orders

Widget
    This version of Skeletor is more in line with my own somewhat phantasmagorical take on things. Taking the premise that he is a being from a different dimension.

SKELETOR_GERRARDIAN_VERSION.jpg

Fantastic! Love seeing your art posted here, and now fans being able to ask you questions about your art!

Your book is going to be awesome.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Fantastic! Love seeing your art posted here, and now fans being able to ask you questions about your art!

Your book is going to be awesome.
    Exactly! I am so glad you said that. So many artists are distant from the people that enjoy their works. I hate that.

Widget
    Something I put together at the weekend . More about the vibe. .. Skeletor , Evil Lyn and King Hiss

SNAKES.jpg

Wow! The atmosphere those pieces have are amazing. Great work.

I wish to offer my most sincere adulation! This is the aesthetic I've always wished to see MOTU done in. In my humble opinion, your execution is simply superb, as well as greatly inspiring.

Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by The Timeless One View Post
    I wish to offer my most sincere adulation! This is the aesthetic I've always wished to see MOTU done in. In my humble opinion, your execution is simply superb, as well as greatly inspiring.

Thank you ! That means a lot as I am doing this for the fans that grew up on MOTU like me. As opposed to any new fans, or the younger new fans.

Widget
    Here is MAN E FACES. With the helmet off. Such a amazing character, a bio-mech warrior.

MANEFACES_GERRARDIAN_VERSION.jpg

Court Magician Beard of Stratos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GERRARDART View Post
    Here is MAN E FACES. With the helmet off. Such a amazing character, a bio-mech warrior.

MANEFACES_GERRARDIAN_VERSION.jpg
    That is cool.

Nice work. Never considered that he would actually take the helmet off.

Heroic Warrior
    Great pic. But the way the faces are arranged means that there is either a fourth face or a lot of empty space on the backside. Is that intended?

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Capeträger View Post
    Great pic. But the way the faces are arranged means that there is either a fourth face or a lot of empty space on the backside. Is that intended?
    Yep I wanted to add some mystery to it and put my own spin on the character,. One more unknown face.

Widget
    Some more of my favorites .. Man at Arms and Buzz off..

MANATARMS_GERRARDIAN_VERSION.jpg

BUZZOFF_GERRARDIAN_VERSION.jpg

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Awesome designs!!! Buzz Off is particularly impressive!
    10 Most needed items for MOTUC...

Heroic: King Miro / Prince Dakon
    Evil: Skeleteen
    POP: King Micah / Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Hunga the Harpy
    POG: Oracle
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Sebrian / Sagitar

I'm a huge MOTU art guy. This is simply amazing art. I'm picking up your book on Kickstarter. Well done, sir!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________
    Drak: Snake Mountain. It sounds so glamorous. Tell me about it.
    Skeletor: Well, it's, it's a dark and dismal.
    Trap Jaw: W-w-with slimey walls. Ugh!
    Whiplash: And strange, ugly creatures scurrying around.
    Skeletor: Just like any home, really.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    This is really awesome stuff! I really like the aesthetic. The characters are immediately recognizable, yet they have your own spin on them.

Totally Dyslexic
    Your photoshop skills and ideas are amazing.

It´s very far from the MOTU world i like. It´s to dark and nightmarish for my taste. A Buzz-Off who looks scarier than some of the creatures in Pans Labyrinth isn´t my thing.

But your creativity is absolutely astounding.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I'm with Niki on this one regarding Buzz-off. He's a little too creepy to be one of the good guys Man-e-faces will be fine if he puts the helmet back on

The rest is just plain awesome and your designs should certainly be considered for a movie version!

Keep it up!