Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answers to Fan Q&A 3.8

Answers to Fan Q&A 3.8

Super7 has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 8 questions!

This round of questions were selected by wayne-klops.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

1. wayne-klops: Most of the male figures released by Mattycollector had removable armor. When produced correctly so the figures didn't look bloated, it was great to have removable armor. Will you continue to keep armor glued in place, or will you start designing the armor to be removable as long as it doesn't ruin the look of the figures?

Wherever possible we will make armor removable. In some cases it may not work, and we may then glue in place or make a full sculpted torso, like we did with Club Grayskull Hordak.

2. man-at-work: Stridor is receiving a positive response from customers with the $60.00 price. If Stridor's sales were a success, will you start to offer more oversized items on a regular basis, using more existing tooling from Mattel's factory?

We are certainly open to this! If the tooling is available, which tends to be a case-by-case issue, and enough people are interested, we will explore what other larger items are possible.

3. Niki: In 2016, Mattel's Sanders brothers told POP fans about never-before-known characters Spidra, Volcania and La-Ver. Does Super7 have the rights to release them in Collectors Choice?

We would have to investigate that one. It seems to us that we should be able to go there, but there could be unforeseen issues that arise in using characters that were realized and released as part of the 80s POP intellectual property versus characters that were conceptualized but never existed beyond that. We'll have to discuss with our friends at Mattel!

4. King Tamusk: Previously, Mattycollector offered an annual subscription incentive to subscribers of the Classics line in the form of a sub exclusive figure. Have you considered doing something similar as an incentive item to preorder both semi-annual waves of CC & CG? It might be a good opportunity to get a highly demanded variant or pack-in out there, and increase sales further for both waves as a whole.

We looked at the Mattycollector model as well as several other possibilities for the release plan of the Classics line. Ultimately, the current model was the most feasible for a company our size, and we will likely maintain this model for the foreseeable future. That said, we know that having some fun surprises and extras are part of what make this hobby fun, and we will continue to find ways to add these types of items to the line.

5. nickdoobs: The quality of the Ultimate figures Super7 released was outstanding, thanks to use of Mattel's factory. But it seems like the Club Grayskull and Collector's Choice figures you've released at your own factory have had quite a bit of QC issues. Is it possible for Super7 to go back to using Mattel's factory? A number of fans are concerned the QC issues will not improve and are hesitant to keep pre-ordering as a result.

We are committed to getting any QC issues resolved and we are hopeful that the next wave of figures will have everyone satisfied. The specifics of manufacturing at any factory gets a bit murky for discussion, but we want everyone to have high-quality products!

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 9!
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions with Super7.
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions with Mattycollector.
    And, have fun discussing Super7's answers to your questions!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Well, I'm glad they didn't outright say no to removable armor. But I think at least Quakke's and Fang-Or's armor could have been made removable, so I'm not sure in what instances they think it's possible vs not possible. With the type of material they used for Tri-Klops, Man-at-Arms, and Lodar, I can understand those needed gluing down, as disappointing as it was to know Tri-Klops couldn't easily get a switched out armor in a different color.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    My original question was more related to oversized items requiring new tooling. Framed in this way, my understanding is that the possibility of more oversized items like Stridor depend on existing tooling from Mattel. So, still the door is not open to Sagitar
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

I’m so glad they aren’t going with Mattel’s model. I do not like exclusives. Every figure is an exclusive already because they’re all made to order. I hope they start offering made to order for previously released figures. Also, I love the Ultimates. I really hope they keep offering them from time to time.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    My original question was more related to oversized items requiring new tooling. Framed in this way, my understanding is that the possibility of more oversized items like Stridor depend on existing tooling from Mattel. So, still the door is not open to Sagitar
    That's unfortunate, but the situation isn't hopeless either.

I find quite interesting that they could find an agreement with Mattel to keep using
    their materials despite they chose switch back to their own factory.

Also, I'd kill to know what exactly Mattel still can use in terms of potential toolings
    after all these years ... Many of us feared for the worst.

But if I get my attention to the previous Power-Con exclusive figures well, that's pretty decent.

Regarding the mounts, I think the easiest options they got right now
    are definitely the vintage Pop horses and Clawdeen not that they're on my top list
    but facts are what they are.
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Flee The Moon" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8qrmaFmq0

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    That's unfortunate, but the situation isn't hopeless either.

I find quite interesting that they could find an agreement with Mattel to keep using
    their materials despite they chose switch back to their own factory.

Also, I'd kill to know what exactly Mattel still can use in terms of potential toolings
    after all these years ... Many of us feared for the worst.

But if I get my attention to the previous Power-Con exclusive figures well, that's pretty decent.

Regarding the mounts, I think the easiest options they got right now
    are definitely the vintage Pop horses and Clawdeen not that they're on my top list
    but facts are what they are.
    Yes, those are my thoughts also: existing tools gives room for horses and Clawdeen, and maybe Red Beast using Gygor's tooling and Hans Hammerholder using Ram-Man's (those would be my only top-wanted items in that scenario of tooling reuse). As you say, S7 has a capability for new tooling that is decent, so I don't see why they should be constrained to existing tools.

PS: PLEASE GIVE ME SAGITAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Yeah, I'm it sure why your question was rephrased in that way, as it wasn't really the intent of your question to only know if new items would be available only using existing tooling.

But, the Four Horseman have been able to use existing tooling in creative ways before. I'm not sure how you get a Sagitar or Mantisaur out of existing parts (or at least partially made of existing parts), but who knows?

Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

The problem with your original question is that you asked about new oversized items, using Stridor and its price point as the example. So if you're asking more releases similar to Stridor, then you're not asking about new tooling, as Stridor was not new tooling.

There's no way you're going to get brand new oversized MOTUC similar in size, scale and articulation to Stridor, with all new tooling, at $60.00. That's not going to happen at this point in time.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Yes, those are my thoughts also: existing tools gives room for horses and Clawdeen, and maybe Red Beast using Gygor's tooling and Hans Hammerholder using Ram-Man's (those would be my only top-wanted items in that scenario of tooling reuse). As you say, S7 has a capability for new tooling that is decent, so I don't see why they should be constrained to existing tools.
    Had Club Eternia prospered one more year Hans Hammer Holder would be on our shelves right now, as would Stridor by the way ... Toyguru confirmed that a few month ago.

As for concepts such as Red Beast, long overdue indeed. Can you imagine that redish grizzly bear crushing soldiers on the battlefield? Dreams, dreams ...
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Flee The Moon" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8qrmaFmq0

So the door is not closed for more horses, Charger, Spirit, Clawdeen, Red Beast and Hans Hammer Holder?! That fantastic news indeed! Charger is my number one most wanted item right now!
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    The problem with your original question is that you asked about new oversized items, using Stridor and its price point as the example. So if you're asking more releases similar to Stridor, then you're not asking about new tooling, as Stridor was not new tooling.

There's no way you're going to get brand new oversized MOTUC similar in size, scale and articulation to Stridor, with all new tooling, at $60.00. That's not going to happen at this point in time.
    Now I know, because you're stating so. So, the question for you now (since you knew in advance that 60$ was not a viable price for a new tooled item that size) is what would be your estimated price for an item the size of Stridor and/or the size of Tuskador if it had to be fully tooled.

So, the question for you now (since you knew in advance that 60$ was not a viable price for a new tooled item that size) is what would be your estimated price for an item the size of Stridor and/or the size of Tuskador if it had to be fully tooled.
    Hmmmm.... I can only guess, so please do not cite this as actual pricing.

It's going to come down to how big, how much new tooling, and the pre-order quantity (one issue with over-sized items is they are almost always ordered in a quantity below that of the 7" action figures).

At this point in the line, to do Sagitar in the proper scale, and have all new tooling, and considering the lower sales due to it being over-sized... Based on Stridor being $60.00 and how they probably had to pay a fee to lease the mold, I'd guess a price point of around $100.00 for Sagitar.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Hmmmm.... I can only guess, so please do not cite this as actual pricing.

It's going to come down to how big, how much new tooling, and the pre-order quantity (one issue with over-sized items is they are almost always ordered in a quantity below that of the 7" action figures).

At this point in the line, to do Sagitar in the proper scale, and have all new tooling, and considering the lower sales due to it being over-sized... Based on Stridor being $60.00 and how they probably had to pay a fee to lease the mold, I'd guess a price point of around $100.00 for Sagitar.
    Thanks for that clear/direct answer (fully aware that's just an unofficial yet educated guess). I would be willing to pay that, but most likely I would have to miss other items if issued around the same time/wave.

Thanks for that clear/direct answer (fully aware that's just an unofficial yet educated guess). I would be willing to pay that, but most likely I would have to miss other items if issued around the same time/wave.
    With lots of Fans complaining about the $35.00 cost of a figure before shipping cost I highly doubt Super7 is going to make a possible $100.00 Sagitar Although N/A fans would want him the cost might be more than a lot are willing to pay especially with the Quality of the plastics still being worked on.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

It would surprise me quite a bit if Sagitar was $100. Tuskador was $35 at Mattel. Obviously I don't have any insider knowledge, but I would expect more around $80 at the max. If he was $100, while I would bite the bullet, I don't think many others would.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    It would surprise me quite a bit if Sagitar was $100. Tuskador was $35 at Mattel. Obviously I don't have any insider knowledge, but I would expect more around $80 at the max. If he was $100, while I would bite the bullet, I don't think many others would.
    It's not accurate to compare Sagitar to Tuskador.

Tuskador in the original NA line was a regular action figure. In Classics, he was an over-sized 7" action figure, akin to Ram Man. But Sagitar is a beast/vehicle. He's much larger than Tuskador. And unlike Tuskador, he has no shared parts like Classics Tuskador had with Ram Man. Super7 can't work out a deal to get any parts from Mattel's factory that would help save on cost. Sagitar is 100% new tooling.

Just take a look at this photo of the original NA figures. Not sure who's collection is, but it's a great shot. And it shows just how big Sagitar is.
    27581469_163349031120821_8429226523625521152_n.jpg
    Maybe they could go $90.00 on him, but I would definitely expect him to be expensive if you want the figure done correctly.

...I feel like the eternal wet blanket.

But, I always try to be realistic for everyone's benefit. I don't want anyone to get their hopes up without first knowing what we're all facing.

I would argue if they could find a way to use Ram Man parts to make Tuskador, they could find a way to use Ram Man/Tuskador parts on Sagitar. And Tuskador also sets the standard that they don't have to use the vintage figure's scale for Classics. He doesn't have to be absolutely massive. It sounds like you'd be putting him in the scale close to Tytus/Megator/Procrustus, and I'd rather keep him around Tuskador's size. I even have a custom Sagitar that is basically two standard Classics torsos on top of one another and that matches his Jetlag scale, and while I'd like him to be a bit bigger than that, I could accept him in that scale.

...I'd rather keep him around Tuskador's size. I even have a custom Sagitar that is basically two standard Classics torsos on top of one another and that matches his Jetlag scale, and while I'd like him to be a bit bigger than that, I could accept him in that scale.
    I seriously doubt that'll happen. I'm sure if they release him, they will want to do him right and produce a brand new sculpt that puts him into the proper scale.

Heroic Warrior
    Didn't know about those Princess of Power characters. But then I'm not the biggest Princess of Power fan. They sound like they could be interesting characters and figures.

I would argue if they could find a way to use Ram Man parts to make Tuskador, they could find a way to use Ram Man/Tuskador parts on Sagitar. And Tuskador also sets the standard that they don't have to use the vintage figure's scale for Classics. He doesn't have to be absolutely massive. It sounds like you'd be putting him in the scale close to Tytus/Megator/Procrustus, and I'd rather keep him around Tuskador's size. I even have a custom Sagitar that is basically two standard Classics torsos on top of one another and that matches his Jetlag scale, and while I'd like him to be a bit bigger than that, I could accept him in that scale.

I second that. Regardless of the scale of the vintage toy, in the Jetlag series Sagitar seems to me like a normal torso put on top of a different body. I don't think he needs to be a steed necessarily, and that is to say that I don't see it the size of Stridor when in centaur form. I'll take Axel's pitch on Red Beast as example: the "right" way to do it is to take Gygor's body, but also he had an alternative to make Red Beast on the regular scale. Also, I will take one more example that was implemented: King Grayskull, the right scale for him was to be at least the height of Gygor, so Battle Lion should have been bigger than Battle Cat as well, instead they were scaled down to regular size. So, why Sagitar could not have same treatment.

However, JSV3 has consistently said several times that Sagitar should be the "right" size if done to be considered "done well", so I suppose this topic has been discussed and the design team made a decision on that. I'm sure it's the best decision design-wise, but sadly it makes this character less likely to be produced due to the resulting price.

I second that. Regardless of the scale of the vintage toy, in the Jetlag series Sagitar seems to me like a normal torso put on top of a different body. I don't think he needs to be a steed necessarily, and that is to say that I don't see it the size of Stridor when in centaur form. I'll take Axel's pitch on Red Beast as example: the "right" way to do it is to take Gygor's body, but also he had an alternative to make Red Beast on the regular scale. Also, I will take one more example that was implemented: King Grayskull, the right scale for him was to be at least the height of Gygor, so Battle Lion should have been bigger than Battle Cat as well, instead they were scaled down to regular size. So, why Sagitar could not have same treatment.

However, JSV3 has consistently said several times that Sagitar should be the "right" size if done to be considered "done well", so I suppose this topic has been discussed and the design team made a decision on that. I'm sure it's the best decision design-wise, but sadly it makes this character less likely to be produced due to the resulting price.
    I fully agree with both of you! Classics Tytus and Megator are another example that comes to mind for figures that were smaller in scale than their vintage counter parts.
    The only realistic way to get Sagitar done is to make use of the existing parts library and reuse of parts. To make a fully new tool will make him way too expensive.
    I seriously hope the design team has not made a final decision on this. It would be a horrible error of judgement which would result in us never getting a Sagitar figure.

I quickly googled „Sagitar custom“ and found this picture. I don’t know who made this so apologies to the customiser for not giving him credit:

Last edited by Grayskull's Heir; June 4, 2018 at 02:31am.

Honestly, Sagitar in the scale of Stridor would be ridiculous. Way too big. I also think using him as a steed is rather awkward since he is much closer to human than any other steed we have. Making him look cool and having the option to have him standing on 4 limbs or standing upright on two is more important than making sure that He-Man or any other standard figure can "ride" him ( oh myyyy....).

Last edited by wayne-klops; June 4, 2018 at 10:31am.

Honestly, Sagitar in the scale of Stridor would be ridiculous. Way too big. I also think using him as a steed is rather awkward since he is much closer to human than any other steed we have. Making him look cool and having the option to have him standing on 4 limbs or standing upright on two is more important than making sure that He-Man or any other stand figure can "ride" him (:triblush: oh myyyy....).

I couldn’t agree more!!

Moreover, Sagitar isn’t exactly the type of A-list character that people would be willing to spend $100 on just in order to re-create the embarrassing awkwardness pictured here:

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Didn't know about those Princess of Power characters. But then I'm not the biggest Princess of Power fan. They sound like they could be interesting characters and figures.
    The panel with the Sanders brothers was super interesting and there were other characters mentioned as well like Frostas sister.

They told us that Spidra was that far along in development that her prototype was shown in TOYFAIR back in the days. I would love to see these POP characters designed by the FOUR HORSEMEN or Axel Giménez. And reading that SUPER 7 is willing to look into that issue is great if you ask me.

Sagitar has to be made. Like any other NA character for that matter. His design is so unique and to be honest not very practical. To be fair Mattel called him a beast on his original package and he was massive not only height wise but his arms and his legs and feet.
    Back than his legs and arms were´t articulated so that wasn´t an issue today it would be and that makes him even trickier to do i guess.

Im an international customer and therefor i say let him cost up to 80$ higher than that and it´s most unlikely people are buying him no matter how awesome he is and he is a fantastic character with an outstanding design to doubt about that.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Sagistar has to be made. Like any other NA character for that matter. His design is so unique and to be honest not very practical. To be fair Mattel called him a beast on his original package and he was massive not only height wise but his arms and his legs and feet.
    He's definitely cool. But he's a tough call. Even that double-torso custom Grayskull's Heir posted is a costly item.
    It won't work in a standard 7" package, so he would require custom packaging.
    On top of that, even that custom design shows how he needs a lot of new tooling.

Maybe we could do a poll about it (I've lost track of all the things we've said "maybe we could do a poll about it"). But even if he came back with a majority of fans saying they'd accept him in the 7" scale, we'd still need to put him back into the annual poll and see where he ranks against other 7" characters.

It's all theoretical discussion at this point. Who knows what the future holds. I suppose anything is possible, right?