Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axel Giménez's designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

Axel Giménez's designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

An update of a design already shared here at the time, to show it now in colors, obviously based on the main reference to create this new character, which was the space suit drawn by Rebecca Taylor and included as an insert with the Castle Grayskull playset of the original line.
    Last edited by AXOR; June 13, 2018 at 06:45pm.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Thank you dude, I never thought i could like such a simplistic design, yet i DO!!

Allow me just a little damper about Jet pack's face who, for me, spoils a bit the nostalgic factor (human face vs multicolore helmet).

So should the figure appear on S7 booth one day, i'd strongly suggest an alternative head
    so every fans (old & new) can express their own vision of the character once in hand.

Thanks again and please, keep up the good work, we lOoooove it!

PS: The sub was a brilliant idea! And it may the next poll i'll be posting on the org.
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Flee The Moon" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8qrmaFmq0

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    Thank you dude, I never thought i could like such a simplistic design, yet i DO!!

Allow me just a little damper about Jet pack's face who, for me, spoils a bit the nostalgic factor (human face vs multicolore helmet).

So should the figure appear on S7 booth one day, i'd strongly suggest an alternative head
    so every fans (old & new) can express their own vision of the character once in hand.

Thanks again and please, keep up the good work, we lOoooove it!

PS: The sub was a brilliant idea! And it may the next poll i'll be posting on the org.
    Thank you very much for your words about my work!

The observation about the helmet is valid, and if the figure were made, perhaps the option of a second multicolor viewer could be considered. My intention to reuse the design of the space suit from the castle insert, was to give the chance to have a new character wearing that suit, or the option to remove the head and have an articulated version of the suit. Maybe Man-At-Arms or other warriors could wear it too

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Jet Pak looks like he'd fit right in with the Galactic Guardians in New Adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Jet Pak looks like he'd fit right in with the Galactic Guardians in New Adventures.
    My thoughts too…he'd be a nice "go between" character with MotU on Eternia and MotU on Primus.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    My thoughts too…he'd be a nice "go between" character with MotU on Eternia and MotU on Primus.
    See? NA was already foreshadowed in the vintage line in '83!

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    See? NA was already foreshadowed in the vintage line in '83!
    If I recall correctly, Mark Taylor designed both Castle Grayksull (and its insides) and He-Man 1989.

I agree, and yet being conceived in the original line, makes it even more significant. Anyway, there are several characters from New Adventures that can also fit in the original line. One of them is Sagitar, and I really want to have it in Collector's Choise.

Hi Axel,
    This is a nice tribute to the Grayskull space suit. Originally I wasn't taken with the Trollan Defender wearing the armor, but any chance to receive an articulated Grayskull space suit is to be grasped! (Even if the design needs to be Classicized for parts re-use)

I am very much in the camp of this figure, if designed, to utilise the head swapping ability such the Adam, Duncan, Teela, Marlena, almost anyone could wear it!

Can I ask, is there a reason you didn't include the left wrist mounted rocket blaster in the design?

If ever we are lucky enough to receive this character as a figure, I would love for a pack-in computer to plug him to.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    That looks awesome Axel!

- - - Updated - - -

If I recall correctly, Mark Taylor designed both Castle Grayksull (and its insides) and He-Man 1989.
    Mark Taylor designed (and sculpted) Castle Grayskull itself, and Rebecca Taylor designed the spacesuit, labels, and cardboard inserts inside the castle.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; April 13, 2018 at 10:16pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Mark Taylor designed (and sculpted) Castle Grayskull itself, and Rebecca Taylor designed the spacesuit, labels, and cardboard inserts inside the castle.
    Well the point remains, they were Taylor made.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Well the point remains, they were Taylor made.
    True.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; April 15, 2018 at 10:18pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Although I am curious where you got the 1989 at.....MOTU debuted in 1982.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    Although I am curious where you got the 1989 at.....MOTU debuted in 1982.
    Mark Taylor returned to Mattel to head the 1989 He-Man relaunch.

For the 1989 line, Mark Taylor designed Butthead and Battle Punch He-Man. Could have been others, those are the only two I know of though.

For the original line, he designed the first 8 figures, Grayskull, Battle Cat, MEF and Ram Man He worked on Prince Adam too but his design was very different.

Jetpack is still a cool idea. Buster Crabbe is an AWESOME idea. I have to grudgingly agree that perhaps a opalescent painted visor (to make the multicolours?) or some paint that has that shimering colouration that you see sometimes to give the effect. Not necessary but as previously stated by some would be cool for vintage look.

I love the Jet Pak idea too, not to mention the design with its clever parts re-use. Now that the old molds are more than likely lost to us, it would be cool to see a more faithful rendering. Not that I wouldn't be happy to see a figure made of what you've done already Axel!
    Last edited by Zodac; April 16, 2018 at 09:36am.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodac View Post
    I love the Jet Pak idea too, not to mention the design with its clever parts re-use. Now that the old molds are more than likely lost to us, it would be cool to see a more faithful rendering. Not that I wouldn't be happy to see a figure made of what you've done already Axel!
    Thank you very much! And I agree with you. Keep in mind that several of these designs were made in 2013, when many of the figures we have today were not even planned. In the case of Jet Pak, I'd love to update his design to make him exact to the original version by Rebecca Taylor.

- - - Updated - - -

And now, a sneak peek to the design of a new Evil Warrior that was conceived more than ten years ago, but never came to life... until now.

W - Sneak Peek.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    And now, a sneak peek to the design of a new Evil Warrior that was conceived more than ten years ago, but never came to life... until now.

W - Sneak Peek.jpg
    More than 10 years ago?!?!?

More than 10 years ago?!?!?
    Even before. Its creator is not sure of the exact date.

Really great Jet pack design but I think I'd prefer it with a mirrored visor so you cant see the head in the helmet.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Really great Jet pack design but I think I'd prefer it with a mirrored visor so you cant see the head in the helmet.
    I agree with you on that as a second option, and we talked about it in a previous answer.

Always look forward to your sketches, one of the highlights for sure of visiting the forums !

Methinks it is a flying insect-like creature, perhaps?

Thank you very much! And I agree with you. Keep in mind that several of these designs were made in 2013, when many of the figures we have today were not even planned. In the case of Jet Pak, I'd love to update his design to make him exact to the original version by Rebecca Taylor.
    If you get around to it, I'd love to see it! The inclusion of the computer for him to plug into ( as Swanmarsh suggested ) would be great too.

Is there anyway I can read these mini comics without opening my figures (moc guy)? I’ve been dying to see this story. I have the mini comic collection from dark horse but it only includes the three ultimate battleground ones