Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Axel Giménez's designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I absolutely LOVE Totemaiden! Awesome concept and very clever way to recycle those Sorceress parts into something unique!
    Thank you! It was her or Ram Man. After I saw Hans Hammer Holder, it validated which direction I leaned haha

One of the Virginias, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    This was her bio. Axel's additions helped give her a closer association to He-Ro and Preternia. It was important I felt to have her contribute without retconning and honor what was already established:

Powers of Grayskull

Totemaiden: Secret Mystic of Prophecy

Within an undiscovered native tribe in the Wastelands, Kimi dreamed prophecies that she collected and illustrated using her dream catcher wand. These visions kept her peaceful tribe and its powerful magic safe from discovery. With the Great War foresaw, Totemaiden could no longer maintain neutrality. To protect her people, Kimi crafted and enchanted a totem pole. Its animals became magical weapons to fend off enemies. Her lion claws deliver powerful strikes, while the helmet protects her from a Snake Man's gaze. The manta armor deflects attacks and grants Totemaiden great speed and maneuverability underwater. Lastly, the griffin shin guards give her both dexterity as well as momentary levitation when midair. Not trained as a warrior that could control such powerful magic offensively, the armor took a physical toll on the young maiden. After the long-fought battle, she saw her time was short. Kimi's final act was to entrust He-Ro with the totem's spell stones of Defense and Healing, along with his pledge to keep her tribe protected. Her physical form vanished, and the armor returned to the totem. The totem animals and the unique properties of the spell stones were used to construct Eternia's Central Tower. Legends says her spirit still resides inside the tower. As for the tribe, Kimi's bravery inspired them to finally venture out. They followed the stars, pioneered new lands, and embarked on new adventures for generations to come!
    NEED IN PLASTIC NOW! This and every other figure/design in this thread. Mattel/Super7 don't you want money or not? Make these and my wallet is yours.

Mostly kidding here folks.

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties. I get comic books, novels, & ViewMaster Reels as well. If you want to discuss this stuff & other things, then PM me here on the .org. I enjoy anime, video games, & sci-fi, too. DC or Marvel, it's all good.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    NEED IN PLASTIC NOW! This and every other figure/design in this thread. Mattel/Super7 don't you want money or not? Make these and my wallet is yours.

Mostly kidding here folks.

Sent from my LGL56VL using Tapatalk
    I'm not. Haha

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jun-Yor; June 14, 2018 at 06:02am.

One of the Virginias, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    I'm not. Haha

Maybe Mattel and Super7 could let you guys do a free digital web comic one shot set in the MOTUC universe with these characters? They could commission some of talented artists and writers here on the .org to handle leg work. Then they offer it via a free web code from one of the digi-comic distributors when they order the next wave of MOTU content from Super7. Get the code immediately after the order is processed, getting the comic that day. Since it would be digital, they would not have to have a physical publisher. PDF format it and after 1 year passes make it publicly available for everyone else. For those who want it "word on paper", print it themselves or wait for it to be bonus content in an MOTU Trade Paperback.

We have the guys doing the "Three Towers" comic and the talent doing "The Song of Heroes". Plus we have Val and Emil with there skills. The there are all those people who have submitted work on the forums and fan sections on the main site.

Mattel has a lot of untapped talent that loves this franchise that could give this the proper love it deserves. In fact a lot of artist here do art that is almost indistinguishable from Filmation's work or looks like it is right from the vintage mini-comics. Some people might even work for figures instead of money.

At the very least give us a calendar with this artwork.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties. I get comic books, novels, & ViewMaster Reels as well. If you want to discuss this stuff & other things, then PM me here on the .org. I enjoy anime, video games, & sci-fi, too. DC or Marvel, it's all good.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    Maybe Mattel and Super7 could let you guys do a free digital web comic one shot set in the MOTUC universe with these characters?
    ... Some people might even work for figures instead of money.

At the very least give us a calendar with this artwork.
    Trust me, I know folks will work for figures haha!

A digital comic is a really neat idea.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Brilliant minds think alike :-)

I really wanted to make her work with Rio-Blast! When I fashioned her as a MOTU vintage entry, I thought that it could have been Rio that found her village, and hence the unique bond between the two. When the design evolved and the totem took on the specific three animals from Eternia's Central tower, along with chronologically being released after Sorceress, having her as a POG character made more sense in my head. I toy with the idea of her spirit with the intention of not losing that potential interaction with Rio Blast.

Anyway, this is my bio, but it's technically Mattel's now. They took a Snake Man hunter with Ra-Jar and made him a minion for Lady Slither *shrugs*. Anything goes and that's the fun of it.

What I wanted with the entry was a diverse character approach using a Masters buck, reinterpreted like always in a new light. When we realized she should have a Native American aesthetic, Sorceress' feathers became indian painted feathers, she has a dreamcatcher wand (mid-sized like Evil-Lyn's), and a totem pole. Keeping that theme, the gimmick became how to make the totem pole the action feature. With Rio-Blast being all offense, I considered complimenting that by making her all defense with a fold out defense station using the totem pole.

I don't think her name is any harder to say than "Evil-Lyn", but to each their own :-). She was to be named "Totemma" when I briefly considered her being a Princess of Power character.

But again, and I use Ra-Jar as a great example of this, I wanted to see new characters that felt missing or filled the appropriate niche in the collection, using what tooling was available at the time. I hoped her design conveyed this.

When I read here that she appears plausible in the original collection, that was my wish for her. We all have our favorites and personal tastes. I really appreciate the kind words and great feedback.

That she has defensive abilities to his offensive abilities is another reason why they should be contemporaries—they are perfect compliments of one another. I could easily see the wand of Frosta being repurposed for her.

Since she has potential ties to BraveStarr, perhaps if you want to divorce her from Preternia, she could have armor of hawk, wolf, puma, and bear?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    That she has defensive abilities to his offensive abilities is another reason why they should be contemporaries—they are perfect compliments of one another. I could easily see the wand of Frosta being repurposed for her.

Since she has potential ties to BraveStarr, perhaps if you want to divorce her from Preternia, she could have armor of hawk, wolf, puma, and bear?
    Her wand is a dreamcatcher. I wouldn't use Frosta's wand for Frosta, let alone TM haha. Frosta's wand is too big and mechanical IMO. Also, I used the lens if she were a vintage figure. In that regard, she wouldn't use She-Ra parts.

She is intended to be an ancestor, predating Shaman. She has a veiled association. With no rights to Bravestarr that I know of, this is how she shook out. I had 6 years to reconcile this haha but again, the character is there, and let your imagination run wild. I, too, like the pairing with Rio-Blast. There may be a story yet to be told there. :-)

SUCH good ideas though. :-) And I am happy with your interest in the character.

I see her as Rana’s Ancestor.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I see her as Rana’s Ancestor.
    After I read up on Rana, me too. :-)

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I love the color scheme! The green head really pops out from the black armor. And awesome idea to recycle Tung Lashor's head! I just would prefer the Tech Axe to be blue green so it would look more different to Blast Attak's weapon.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Looking great!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Widget
    Really looks good!

Interesting idea to use Tung's head but I much prefer the green snake head. Great work.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

The designs look really good. It's funny, I imagined the artwork showed Sssqueeze's head, not Rattlor's. Rattlor's head seems to work really well!
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I love the color scheme! The green head really pops out from the black armor. And awesome idea to recycle Tung Lashor's head! I just would prefer the Tech Axe to be blue green so it would look more different to Blast Attak's weapon.
    Thanks for your comment. You know, I felt the same as you about the color of the tech ax, and in fact, my original idea was to make it purple, so I returned it to that early option.

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Love it. There's our next Wave '88 3-pack, Slamurai & 2 Snake Troopers....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    I could finally take a few hours to finish the design of the SNAKE TROOPER, which as we already know, together with SLAMURAI, are the two characters that still remain to be made as Classics figures to complete the wave planned for the original line in '88, but that was never made.

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]Beyond trying to faithfully translate the design of the SNAKE TROOPERS that can be seen in the art of Errol McCarthy for the cardbacks, to the Classics line, I also thought about including a second head to give the option of having different reptile species in these troops. After analyzing the available choises, I decided that the head of TUNG LASHOR was a viable option, since it hasn't been reused before for other characters, and its size fits the body of the HORDE TROOPERS, since other heads, such as those of the generic SNAKE MEN, they look too small in that body. By the way, the colors for the second head are based on those of a blue gecko.

Attachment 116413 Attachment 116414 Attachment 116415
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Oh yeah, that purple axe is perfect! So cool, now I really MUST have that as a figure!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Real shame, I don't see the Snake Troopers everyone is talking about. I'm sure they were great though!
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    Thank you very much! And I agree with you. Keep in mind that several of these designs were made in 2013, when many of the figures we have today were not even planned. In the case of Jet Pak, I'd love to update his design to make him exact to the original version by Rebecca Taylor.

- - - Updated - - -

And now, a sneak peek to the design of a new Evil Warrior that was conceived more than ten years ago, but never came to life... until now.
    Hey Axel is this sneak peek ready to be unveiled, from the looks of it he seems to be finished. I would love to see what he looks like.

Attachment 115987

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Real shame, I don't see the Snake Troopers everyone is talking about. I'm sure they were great though!
    Mailed ya!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar