Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axel Giménez's designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
    Is there anyway I can read these mini comics without opening my figures (moc guy)? I’ve been dying to see this story. I have the mini comic collection from dark horse but it only includes the three ultimate battleground ones
    There you go!

https://mega.nz/#!aMhXyY4S!Z3v-fx1I3...nFLzjNXfNM8GVs

https://mega.nz/#!XAA3FCBQ!-nuI8-0sB...Bz0z5s8LI633j8

https://mega.nz/#!bRZQUaSQ!V-Fl1duub...RvRIcWTBuJFD7Q

https://mega.nz/#!aU4TUYJJ!CNpeVOce0...JhKCVfqJOorT0U

https://mega.nz/#!HQBVjAyJ!HOUHG402v...sWnm88G51fwlls

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Thank you very much!... I really like the color gradient for this specific character: white flirting with some subtle gray etc ...

When (if) a slot is dedicated to this figure anytime soon, i'd like every blue colored parts to sound
    as spectral as possible coz to me, this is what it's all about regarding Slamurai (previously called Ghost by TheFwooshredaction.).
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

Heroic Warrior
    Did this character come with a bio from the creator?

TOTEMAIDEN - What a great concept and awesome design!

Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by Capeträger View Post
    Did this character come with a bio from the creator?
    Yes, the creator has a story for TOTEMAIDEN, which, between some aspects, links her to two other "new" characters. I'm sure that he will reveal her bio soon.

Totemaiden, what a clever concept.

Thanks for sharing.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Love this thread! Totemaiden is much better than the "Totem" one I submitted. Well done.
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

She reminds me of Princess Rana.

Very cool! I love the inspiration of the Eternia playset cat head and claws.

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    It has been while without sharing more of my designs for the Classics line, now Collector's Choise. This time is one of the characters from that wave planned for the original line in 88, but never made. I really, REALLY hope to have SLAMURAI as part of the regular line, or even as an exclusive figure in a future Power-Con.

Attachment 116328
    Cool to see you back on the forums axel, Great to see a final version of Slamurai. Theres 2 things about this design i would have changed,one due to the orignal design, the other an aesthetic choice to fit this character better. First one is the loin cloth. If you look at the original design
    mashup4.jpg
    mashup5.jpg
    I feel like using Demomans loin would work better then the furry loin and add more of a difference beteween him and Ninjor. The second one is his feet, if you used the feet from the furry boots, it would look like those socks that ninjas wear, forgot what they are called, helping his cause a little more. Just my opinion, still great designs, like totem maiden as well. keep it up

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, the creator has a story for TOTEMAIDEN, which, between some aspects, links her to two other "new" characters. I'm sure that he will reveal her bio soon.
    There were a few hands that helped breathe life into this character. Happily, I feel she is a great example of a culmination of great ideas.

Her faction is Powers of Grayskull and she is a neutral character. As Axel stated, her story does incorporate 2 new characters, and fleshes out Powers of Grayskull in interesting ways, I think. Association with other characters make her (and them) more compelling. Axel's additional touches polished off the character design flawlessly.

She came a long way in design from a simple device to reuse the Sorceress body. And as a "Native" character, she diversifies He-Ro's universe. For that reason, I am a BIG fan of Ra-Jar, too. Being a Snake Man hunter, Powers of Grayskull gets another fantastic warrior. Finding creative ways to reuse tooling gives me a special fondness for her and Ra-Jar.

I'll unearth the bio and update. Thank you so far for the kind words. I like her too. :-)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jun-Yor; June 5, 2018 at 08:42am.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    She reminds me of Princess Rana.
    Same here. Another character I really want to see designed/updated by Axel!
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Heroic Warrior
    If you add a full helmet and redeco CastleGrayskullman in ivory to mimic the 200X Preternia Castle Grayskull, one heck of a Powers of Grayskull Great Wars 3 pack takes shape. :-D A chance encounter between Castle Grayskullman, Vypor, and Totemaiden observed by He-Ro and the Oracle is the basic concept of the mini-comic we discussed. The stones are a late edition to the totem, but one can see them finding their way to our He-Ro. ;-)

Thank you again Axel for the finishing touches on her design. I am so glad more Powers of Grayskull characters are seeing representation!
    Last edited by Jun-Yor; June 14, 2018 at 07:00am.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    It has been while without sharing more of my designs for the Classics line, now Collector's Choise. This time is one of the characters from that wave planned for the original line in 88, but never made. I really, REALLY hope to have SLAMURAI as part of the regular line, or even as an exclusive figure in a future Power-Con.

Attachment 116328
    Axel, I have no issues with your design, as it improves Slamurai a little. However, the mostly all white or translucent white and blue look blah to me. I would prefer he just have wacky out of place neon colors. Like a translucent neon yellow and orange swirled together on his ninja outfit. It would make him so ridiculous, but would be more in line with the changing color palettes of toys after Masters of the Universe died out. I don't think we'd see something that wacky for 1988 (when he was likely to be released), but maybe 1991. I loved the 200x re-decos, so I guess I grab inspiration from that to liven up characters.

And since I haven't shared new designs for months, this time there will be a bonus.

She's TOTEMAIDEN, and although it's not a design required by Mattel or Super7, she was one of the entries of the "Create a Character" contest of 2012, so belongs to Mattel. Her concept had already been defined in some way for the contest, but her creator, Anibal Pires, commissioned me to work on a final design to redefine some details.

There are two versions, and the only difference between them, is in the color of the totem.

Attachment 116340Attachment 116341
    Interesting. She definitely feels 80's fantasy. I'd be down with it.

Axel, it'd be cool if Mattel had you work on a CAC contest book where you redrew all the designs. I'd love to see what else others had, and know you could make my entries better too.

Evil Sorcerer & Commander Zargon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post

Axel, it'd be cool if Mattel had you work on a CAC contest book where you redrew all the designs. I'd love to see what else others had, and know you could make my entries better too.
    I'd love this! Instant buy, especially since I'd love to see my 20+ designs done properly....

My 4000th post, BTW.
    Last edited by Zargon; June 5, 2018 at 03:03pm.
    Top MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack, "new" characters as designed by Axor (Axel)

Jet Pack Looks so cool! WANT!

Attachment 116328
    Your Slamurai looks great. I hope we get him some day.

- - - Updated - - -

And since I haven't shared new designs for months, this time there will be a bonus.

She's TOTEMAIDEN, and although it's not a design required by Mattel or Super7, she was one of the entries of the "Create a Character" contest of 2012, so belongs to Mattel. Her concept had already been defined in some way for the contest, but her creator, Anibal Pires, commissioned me to work on a final design to redefine some details.

There are two versions, and the only difference between them, is in the color of the totem.

Attachment 116340Attachment 116341
    Totemmaiden also looks great. I think I prefer the one with the same color on all four sections.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Attachment 116328
    Easily one my most wanted characters, really hope we can get him with soon along with the Snake Troopers.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Heroic Warrior
    This was her bio. Axel's additions helped give her a closer association to He-Ro and Preternia. It was important I felt to have her contribute without retconning and honor what was already established:

Powers of Grayskull

Totemaiden: Secret Mystic of Prophecy

Within an undiscovered native tribe in the Wastelands, Kimi dreamed prophecies that she collected and illustrated using her dream catcher wand. These visions kept her peaceful tribe and its powerful magic safe from discovery. With the Great War foresaw, Totemaiden could no longer maintain neutrality. To protect her people, Kimi crafted and enchanted a totem pole. Its animals became magical weapons to fend off enemies. Her lion claws deliver powerful strikes, while the helmet protects her from a Snake Man's gaze. The manta armor deflects attacks and grants Totemaiden great speed and maneuverability underwater. Lastly, the griffin shin guards give her both dexterity as well as momentary levitation when midair. Not trained as a warrior that could control such powerful magic offensively, the armor took a physical toll on the young maiden. After the long-fought battle, she saw her time was short. Kimi's final act was to entrust He-Ro with the totem's spell stones of Defense and Healing, along with his pledge to keep her tribe protected. Her physical form vanished, and the armor returned to the totem. The totem animals and the unique properties of the spell stones were used to construct Eternia's Central Tower. Legends says her spirit still resides inside the tower. As for the tribe, Kimi's bravery inspired them to finally venture out. They followed the stars, pioneered new lands, and embarked on new adventures for generations to come!
    Last edited by Jun-Yor; June 14, 2018 at 07:01am.

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting story.
    The one thing that still makes me kinda stumble over the name is that in german "tote Maiden" literally means "dead girls". But I guess unintended meanings in other languages are just something that happens.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Capeträger View Post
    Interesting story.
    The one thing that still makes me kinda stumble over the name is that in german "tote Maiden" literally means "dead girls". But I guess unintended meanings in other languages are just something that happens.
    In English, it is a portmanteau of "totem" and "maiden". Totem refers to the totem pole which is the focus of the toy's action feature. And an old adage used to describe young Native American girls were indian maidens. Both parts of the name feel very "on the nose" to the character, as we say here. :-)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    In English, it is a portmanteau of "totem" and "maiden". Totem refers to the totem pole which is the focus of the toy's action feature. And an old adage used to describe young Native American girls were indian maidens. Both parts of the name feel very "on the nose" to the character, as we say here. :-)

Yeah, that works in german, too. The word "Totem" is the same. It is just not the first thing that springs to my mind when I read the name.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I like the design a lot, but I think I would like the character more as a contemporary to Rio Blast instead of He-Ro. The obvious "cowboy and Indian" parallels aside, both characters have potential ties to Brave Starr, which I think is very interesting.

I understand the "Totemaiden" naming convention, but I think it is a little difficult to say. It is either pronounced "toh-tuh meyd-n," in which case you lose the play on "totem," or it is pronounced "toh-tuh-m meyd-n," with two M sounds back-to-back. I wish her name was something like "To-Tem," which is a little more punchy.

Overall, I think she is the best fan-created character I have seen, and the one that feels most like something we would have received in the vintage line.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I like the design a lot, but I think I would like the character more as a contemporary to Rio Blast instead of He-Ro. The obvious "cowboy and Indian" parallels aside, both characters have potential ties to Brave Starr, which I think is very interesting.

I understand the "Totemaiden" naming convention, but I think it is a little difficult to say. It is either pronounced "toh-tuh meyd-n," in which case you lose the play on "totem," or it is pronounced "toh-tuh-m meyd-n," with two M sounds back-to-back. I wish her name was something like "To-Tem," which is a little more punchy.

Overall, I think she is the best fan-created character I have seen, and the one that feels most like something we would have received in the vintage line.
    Brilliant minds think alike :-)

I really wanted to make her work with Rio-Blast! When I fashioned her as a MOTU vintage entry, I thought that it could have been Rio that found her village, and hence the unique bond between the two. When the design evolved and the totem took on the specific three animals from Eternia's Central tower, along with chronologically being released after Sorceress, having her as a POG character made more sense in my head. I toy with the idea of her spirit with the intention of not losing that potential interaction with Rio Blast.

Anyway, this is my bio, but it's technically Mattel's now. They took a Snake Man hunter with Ra-Jar and made him a minion for Lady Slither *shrugs*. Anything goes and that's the fun of it.

What I wanted with the entry was a diverse character approach using a Masters buck, reinterpreted like always in a new light. When we realized she should have a Native American aesthetic, Sorceress' feathers became indian painted feathers, she has a dreamcatcher wand (mid-sized like Evil-Lyn's), and a totem pole. Keeping that theme, the gimmick became how to make the totem pole the action feature. With Rio-Blast being all offense, I considered complimenting that by making her all defense with a fold out defense station using the totem pole.

I don't think her name is any harder to say than "Evil-Lyn", but to each their own :-). She was to be named "Totemma" when I briefly considered her being a Princess of Power character.

But again, and I use Ra-Jar as a great example of this, I wanted to see new characters that felt missing or filled the appropriate niche in the collection, using what tooling was available at the time. I hoped her design conveyed this.

When I read here that she appears plausible in the original collection, that was my wish for her. We all have our favorites and personal tastes. I really appreciate the kind words and great feedback.

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I absolutely LOVE Totemaiden! Awesome concept and very clever way to recycle those Sorceress parts into something unique!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."