Thread: How do you deal with/adjust to a lifestyle-changing injury?

Master of New Adventures!

How do you deal with/adjust to a lifestyle-changing injury?

Note: This thread only deals with 'injuries'; not 'diseases', which can be treated with varying degrees of success.

As many here know, about six weeks ago I sustained a badly torn meniscus in my right knee as a result of doing heavy iron squats. After an MRI my doctors, for a number of reasons, advised against surgery. Despite the pain, I only did prescription meds for a day as I found them disgusting. For four weeks I took daily doses of Advil to address the pain. I discontinued that a few days ago because of concerns about potential liver damage from large doses of Advil. I've been in physical therapy for about a month and while I see some gains, I've been told the meniscus does not repair itself and that the best that can be hoped for is to strengthen the muscles around it. Not wanting surgery and with its attendant problems, I've come to the conclusion that moderate pain is a consequential part of life and that it will be a part of the rest of my life.

Fortunately, I have a very high tolerance for pain. The larger issue, for me, is that it means a considerable lifestyle change. I'm an avid skier and I think that's pretty much out now. The same goes for competitive tennis. I can handle the discomfort of golf, but I find I can't race around with my children like I used to and that bothers me.

I'll be frank in saying that I realize my problem pales in comparison to serious diseases and major injuries. Yet it's something that affects me personally and is, in some measure, a matter of pride and enjoyment of time with my family.

Have any orgers also sustained physical injuries that have changed what you can and cannot do and, if so, how do you deal with it?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 14, 2018 at 11:14am.

I'm sorry to hear you got hurt. That stinks.

I'll spare the graphic details, but when I was 30, I got hit with a 2 x 4 between the legs so hard it took 2 surgeries to get things fixed. For many years I couldn't wear jeans. I could only where sweatpants or stretchy golf pants. I took between 8-10 ibuprofen a day. I had to quit weight lifting. I had to quit skateboarding. To experience such severe pain and in such a sensitive area was a life changing injury. I went through a huge bout of depression.

It's been about 10 years after the incident. I can lift and skate again. I bought a skateboard for my 40th birthday last year. Trying to get back into it at 40 was rough. I don't take ibuprofen anymore, unless it's because of something else. I still can't wear regular jeans but I can wear jeans that have at least 2% spandex in them. But I usually still wear sweatpants if I can get away with it.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Jack first let me say I'm sorry. When people like us love being active and then can't, it's very depressing.

First I'd really look into the doctors advice and see if strengthening combined with some type of athletic brace could allow you to ski/play at an enjoyable level. Maybe not the level you're used to but still enough to enjoy it.

My best advice would be to find other physical activities that you can do safely and really dive into them. Find other sports and activities that you can get into to replace the ones you might not be able to do anymore. Especially ones that you can do with your kids well into age.

I know it's heck getting old Jack and you have me by a few years. I've said it before though, I'll play golf with ladies flex equipment if I have to for as long as I can walk.

Sorry to hear about your injury as well Faker

Invest in a really good, comfortable knee brace that can give you extra support on the days you need it. And take it easy, Jack. I hit my left knee in a way that really debilitated it a couple years ago, and it's really easy to overestimate how much you can do and knock yourself a back a peg or three from recovery. Also, have you tried Alleve? It helps me out on sore days.

I am sorry to hear you are going through this, knee injuries are the worst! I fractured my tibial plateau two years ago in Tae Kwon-Do and my knee has never been the same. I still have my hardware and some folks say that is why. The surgeon says he does not remove it unless there are complications. I am currently working with a trainer to strengthen the knee. I tried to bowl a few weeks back with my kids and I really tweaked it. I almost fell into the gutter - LOL! I guess I will not be bowling in the immediate future

Jack, I would recommend also wearing a brace on the good knee if you're going to be on your feet for a while. When you have one bad leg, you'll be favoring the good leg. That's going to put extra pressure on your good knee.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Note: This thread only deals with 'injuries'; not 'diseases', which can be treated with varying degrees of success.

As many here know, about six weeks ago I sustained a badly torn meniscus in my right knee as a result of doing heavy iron squats. After an MRI my doctors, for a number of reasons, advised against surgery. Despite the pain, I only did prescription meds for a day as I found them disgusting. For four weeks I took daily doses of Advil to address the pain. I discontinued that a few days ago because of con ferns about potential liver damage from large doses of Advil. I've been in physical therapy for about a month and while I see some gains, I've been told the meniscus does not repair itself and that the best that can be hoped for is to strengthen the muscles around it. Not wanting surgery and with its attendant problems, I've come to the conclusion that moderate pain is a consequential part of life and that it will be a part of the rest of my life.

Fortunately, I have a very high tolerance for pain. The larger issue, for me, is that it means a considerable lifestyle change. I'm an avid skier and I think that's pretty much out now. The same goes for competitive tennis. I can handle the discomfort of golf, but I find I can't race around with my children like I used to and that bothers me.

I'll be frank in saying that I realize my problem pales in comparison to serious diseases and major injuries. Yet it's something that affects me personally and is, in some measure, a matter of pride and enjoyment of time with my family.

Have any orgers also sustained physical injuries that have changed what you can and cannot do and, if so, how do you deal with it?
    I’m sorry to hear about your current prognosis my friend.

Right off the bat I’d like to advise you to avoid opioid based pain killers at all costs. I have seen them destroy lives more so than the injuries they were prescribed to aid.

I have no advise for the pain, we spoke in a previous thread and I am recovering from surgery myself but for my part I’ll be fine in time. For emotional support I’ve know people find solace in talking with others suffering similar issues. I’m not the type to share myself and have a hard time admitting pain (as my surgeon recently warned his nursing staff about me in that regard- “watch out for Tommy, he’ll say he is fine while is arm is hanging off by a tendon”.) Plus I’m not really a joiner. But maybe find some local support groups in your area to at least talk to. It may help you deal with your new limitations.

My wife suffers from a curvature of the spine and I can see the toll is just as much emotional as it is physical. If there is nothing to be done to easy your physical pain look for aid in other places. Your issue may affect your life going forward as far as what activities you can enjoy or the exten that you can enjoy them, but there is still much to enjoy in life.

Have you inquired about swimming? Growing up on a beach I know many people who suffer from knee injuries/pain have strengthened the supporting stabilizer muscles by swimming, Simply treading water for extended periods of time is an impact free resistance exersize.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; June 14, 2018 at 01:19am.

Heroic Warrior
    N

Well, I don't have a comparable situation. I have weight issues and broke my feet once that still bothers be today, but I wasn't overly active to start with... but yeah, hitting 40 and not being able to do some of the little things bugs me.

The only advice I have and it can be taken with a grain of salt... is to find new hobbies. If You can't ski or play tennis, try painting or video games or card games or RPGs or something that's 'fun'. Things you can do with friends or with the kids or even by yourself. If you dive head first into a new hobby and get obsessive about that... you may not even miss the stuff you 'used' to do. For me it's painting miniatures for our D&D games. the kids love to help when they're around and it's something I can do that my friends don't.

The key is to focus more on the enjoyment of what you're doing NOW... and not focus on what you COULD have been doing BEFORE... Look at the good stuff you have in your life and not the stuff you're losing. Or even tone down what you did before. You may not be able to play competitive Tennis anymore or Heavy weight lifting... but you may still be able to teach the kids or do light exercise or something.

But yeah, focus on the new and leave the past in the past.

I've tried a high quality brace with varying degrees of success. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it hinders my abilities in golf so far this summer, so it's a work in progress. I'm not sure what the deal with be with skiing, but I'll find out this winter.

As for your other advice, Kim and I assuredly do enjoy other "physical activities" -- as you say -- that we "really dive into" and I'm delighted to say my injury has had no effect on them.

As for the rest and having to give up some sports activities:

"You know, Stallion, it's too bad we gotta get old..."

Apollo Creed, ROCKY III

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Jack first let me say I'm sorry. When people like us love being active and then can't, it's very depressing.

First I'd really look into the doctors advice and see if strengthening combined with some type of athletic brace could allow you to ski/play at an enjoyable level. Maybe not the level you're used to but still enough to enjoy it.

My best advice would be to find other physical activities that you can do safely and really dive into them. Find other sports and activities that you can get into to replace the ones you might not be able to do anymore. Especially ones that you can do with your kids well into age.

I know it's heck getting old Jack and you have me by a few years. I've said it before though, I'll play golf with ladies flex equipment if I have to for as long as I can walk.

Sorry to hear about your injury as well Faker
    - - - Updated - - -

I've tried Aleve in the past and it does little for me. I think different people respond differently to meds, but thanks. Anyway, I'm not a fan of meds, prescription or OTC, so I'd prefer to tough it out. I've got a great knee brace that I wear from time to time, especially on occasionally bad days, but there are times when it negatively impacts my golf game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    Invest in a really good, comfortable knee brace that can give you extra support on the days you need it. And take it easy, Jack. I hit my left knee in a way that really debilitated it a couple years ago, and it's really easy to overestimate how much you can do and knock yourself a back a peg or three from recovery. Also, have you tried Alleve? It helps me out on sore days.
    - - - Updated - - -

Agreed and I do find myself favoring my other leg at times, which is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    Jack, I would recommend also wearing a brace on the good knee if you're going to be on your feet for a while. When you have one bad leg, you'll be favoring the good leg. That's going to put extra pressure on your good knee.
    - - - Updated - - -

Gosh are we ever on the same page! I took one Hydrocodone and that was enough for me. I don't see how people get hooked on that stuff. Kim is a United Way President and is heavily involved in the opioid battle, working with numerous law enforcement agencies and serving as a consultant on an upcoming PBS series on the subject. She tells me the problem is rampant. So sad, especially the collateral damage to families.

I, as well, am not a complainer, although my family is very supportive.

Great advice about swimming! We have a pool at our club and I'll start using it. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    I’m sorry to hear about your current prognosis my friend.

Right off the bat I’d like to advise you to avoid opioid based pain killers at all costs. I have seen them destroy lives more so than the injuries they were prescribed to aid.

I have no advise for the pain, we spoke in a previous thread and I am recovering from surgery myself but for my part I’ll be fine in time. For emotional support I’ve know people find solace in talking with others suffering similar issues. I’m not the type to share myself and have a hard time admitting pain (as my surgeon recently warned his nursing staff about me in that regard- “watch out for Tommy, he’ll say he is fine while is arm is hanging off by a tendon”.) Plus I’m not really a joiner. But maybe find some local support groups in your area to at least talk to. It may help you deal with your new limitations.

My wife suffers from a curvature of the spine and I can see the toll is just as much emotional as it is physical. If there is nothing to be done to easy your physical pain look for aid in other places. Your issue may affect your life going forward as far as what activities you can enjoy or the exten that you can enjoy them, but there is still much to enjoy in life.

Have you inquired about swimming? Growing up on a beach I know many people who suffer from knee injuries/pain have strengthened the supporting stabilizer muscles by swimming, Simply treading water for extended periods of time is an impact free resistance exersize.
    - - - Updated - - -

Good advice. For me I enjoy physical activities. Years ago I was a certified SCUBA diver, so taking MJOLNIR's advice a step forward I'm going to book a family vacation at a local where I can return to the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Well, I don't have a comparable situation. I have weight issues and broke my feet once that still bothers be today, but I wasn't overly active to start with... but yeah, hitting 40 and not being able to do some of the little things bugs me.

The only advice I have and it can be taken with a grain of salt... is to find new hobbies. If You can't ski or play tennis, try painting or video games or card games or RPGs or something that's 'fun'. Things you can do with friends or with the kids or even by yourself. If you dive head first into a new hobby and get obsessive about that... you may not even miss the stuff you 'used' to do. For me it's painting miniatures for our D&D games. the kids love to help when they're around and it's something I can do that my friends don't.

The key is to focus more on the enjoyment of what you're doing NOW... and not focus on what you COULD have been doing BEFORE... Look at the good stuff you have in your life and not the stuff you're losing. Or even tone down what you did before. You may not be able to play competitive Tennis anymore or Heavy weight lifting... but you may still be able to teach the kids or do light exercise or something.

But yeah, focus on the new and leave the past in the past.
    - - - Updated - - -

Heartfelt thanks to everyone for their advice and thoughts. This kind of support, imo, is one of the best things about the board. Just knowing you are all out there and generously take from your busy time to be supportive to a fellow orger brings this aging warrior comfort.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 14, 2018 at 11:13am.

Well, I've never been all that active. My problem is becoming more active so I don't turn diabetic. I don't have any chronic pain like this, so I'm not sure if I can give firsthand advice. However, my wife messed up her knees pretty good back in her 30's and I have seen some of the things that she does. I'm not sure exactly how her injury compares to yours, but I do know that over time other things will also begin to bother you as they try to compensate for favoring the knee.

Before the injury, she was a distance runner. Like, serious, competitive, possibly competition quality distance running. She was thinking of becoming a marathoner professionally. She was a lifter too. That was the big adjustment - running is now gone. She can't even really power walk or ride a bike very much. She's had to find other ways to stay active, and they don't work as well, which she doesn't like. She went through some IVF treatments a few years ago, these unfortunately did not work but they did make her gain weight, which has now been hard for her to lose.

She has a knee brace, and yes, she has a cane, although she does not use it all the time. If we're out walking much she needs it. She's also been prescribed some ibuprofen pills that would choke a horse, though she doesn't use them very much. The best thing to do is to keep active but take it slow. Now you're a tortoise where once you were a hare. Less impact, more often. She's also had good results from acupuncture treatments - she just started them, and they have improved flexibility a bit. Leg day is going to be painful, but actually if you can handle it and keep your knee stronger its going to be better as the strong muscles will take pressure off the torn tendon.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; June 14, 2018 at 05:51pm.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

I am not crazy. The Bishop had me tested once.

Being active is important, but diet is even more important. How is your diet, Dave-Man? You can reverse being pre-diabetic with diet changes. Cut sugar and processed foods first. If it comes prepackaged or says 'low fat' then run away. I always tell my friends that I no longer see the words 'low fat' on a package, I read 'chemical crap storm.' LOL! You have to do eliminations in stages or your body will go into detox mode.

Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    As you know, I've had a great deal of injuries over the last year with my left total knee replacement being the most severe/challenging. It is one of the most difficult and painful surgeries that exist. I have just finished 4 months of physical therapy by working out 3 days a week at a rehab center. I now do physical therapy exercises on my own 2 times daily and in a pool 3 times a week. Full recovery takes 1 year, but the knee will never be the same.

For me, the hardest part is learning to accept my new normal which includes lots and lots of pain (as I am highly allergic to any type of pain medicine and things like Advil just don't work). There are also things I will never be able to do again, which includes running, jogging, squatting, kneeling, sitting cross-legged, etc. But I am slowly healing both physically and mentally. Next up is my right knee, but not something I want to entertain until I am fully healed.

Best of luck with your torn meniscus.
    TOP 5 MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Ice Armor He-Man, and Snake Mountain Man

As for your other advice, Kim and I assuredly do enjoy other "physical activities" -- as you say -- that we "really dive into" and I'm delighted to say my injury has had no effect on them.
    Holy crap Jack, that is RACY!!! Jk, glad you are getting all the exercise you need on various fronts.

I'm glad (semi-vicariously) that golf is still doable. May I also suggest pounding the weights. Build up (or reinforce) that upper body. Might produce even more diving opportunities (though I'm sure you don't need them).

Racy indeed. After 22 year old marital bliss I get to boast a bit.

Well I'm definitely hitting upper body full blast. But it will be at least another two months before I can return to lower body. The good thing is, after a meeting with my physical trainer, I now understand what I did during squats that caused my meniscus to tear, so I won't be making that mistake again.

As an aside, I had the darnedest thing happen last week. Woke up in the morning and my knee was really bothering me. I reminded the Lord about the deal I have had with Him for over thirty years and told Him I need to get back to work without distraction. An hour later my pain was completely gone and hasn't come back. Non-believers can say it's a placebo effect and believers will say it's the power of prayer. I guess I won't know for sure until I breath my last breath but at the present I'm fine with it either way. Just glad to have the pain be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by moltak View Post
    Holy crap Jack, that is RACY!!! Jk, glad you are getting all the exercise you need on various fronts.

I'm glad (semi-vicariously) that golf is still doable. May I also suggest pounding the weights. Build up (or reinforce) that upper body. Might produce even more diving opportunities (though I'm sure you don't need them).

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    The good thing is, after a meeting with my physical trainer, I now understand what I did during squats that caused my meniscus to tear, so I won't be making that mistake again.
    What is it exactly that you did wrong?

When I did the squats I failed to keep my back straight and instead leaned forward, putting exponentially more strain on my knee.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    What is it exactly that you did wrong?

Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    As you know, I've had a great deal of injuries over the last year with my left total knee replacement being the most severe/challenging. It is one of the most difficult and painful surgeries that exist. I have just finished 4 months of physical therapy by working out 3 days a week at a rehab center. I now do physical therapy exercises on my own 2 times daily and in a pool 3 times a week. Full recovery takes 1 year, but the knee will never be the same.

For me, the hardest part is learning to accept my new normal which includes lots and lots of pain (as I am highly allergic to any type of pain medicine and things like Advil just don't work). There are also things I will never be able to do again, which includes running, jogging, squatting, kneeling, sitting cross-legged, etc. But I am slowly healing both physically and mentally. Next up is my right knee, but not something I want to entertain until I am fully healed.

Best of luck with your torn meniscus.
    Not sure if you got my reply. As someone with a serious knee ailment, was hoping to help shed some light/ease your fears.
    TOP 5 MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Ice Armor He-Man, and Snake Mountain Man

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    When I did the squats I failed to keep my back straight and instead leaned forward, putting exponentially more strain on my knee.
    I've never had that bad of an injury before, but I rarely lift properly with my back straight. Seems unnatural in a way, but pulled muscles and tears say otherwise.

See, that is why I refuse to work out on my own anymore. Right now I am only seeing a trainer twice a week (its expensive), but I just do not feel comfortable doing it on my own anymore. Granted I was in the dojang surrounded by people when I got injured. I will never understand why they thought it was OK to pair me with a guy that was twice my size. I am 5'9 and a tough chick, but when this kid kicked the bag he sent me flying backward a few feet. Then he wasn't there when I threw a combo (on the move) and I spun into the ground and landed on my knee.

Thanks for that. We're in different places. First, mine was apparently not as severe as yours. I was told six to ten weeks before I'm back in good shape. After five weeks, I'm now 90%. I responded well to physical rehab and am now doing exercises at home. I've always been into heavy iron but now, somewhat restricted, I'm heavily into upper body iron and look forward to returning to moderate lower body in about four weeks. Golf is no longer a problem for me. We'll see what happens with skiing this winter. Going SCUBA diving in a few weeks. Being at ideal body weight, having an extremely healthy diet of whole foods, very, very low sodium and virtually no processed foods or sugar, eating tons of vegetable and having an athlete's blood pressure of 116/78 surely helps.

I appreciate your comment about easing my 'fears', but as a former USAF helicopter search-and-rescue combat medic and having been a triumphant warrior in the entertainment industry for nearly forty years, I fear no thing and no one.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Not sure if you got my reply. As someone with a serious knee ailment, was hoping to help shed some light/ease your fears.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 17, 2018 at 03:48pm.