Thread: Mister Rogers theatrical documentary - "Won't You Be My Neighbor?"

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Mister Rogers theatrical documentary - "Won't You Be My Neighbor?"

I was lucky enough to catch this on its final night in my city last night. It is quite an emotional experience---I smiled, I laughed, I cried, I was deeply touched, I was heartbroken, I was disgusted* --- it's a roller coaster, but overall a glorious one. At the end I had had tears streaming down my face and I felt "put through the emotional wringer"; it is an amazing film. I highly recommend it if it comes to a theater near you!

I just wish Betty Aberlin had been one of the interviewees, as she was such an enormous part of that show as "Lady Aberlin" in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.

And speaking of the NoMB, cast your votes for your favorite neighborhood puppets here! :-)

*(not disgusted with Mister Rogers, but over a news clip on racism from 40 or 50 years ago which was ludicrous).

Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Loved Mr. Rogers! I do not know anything about this film, but I know Rogers himself tried to use his platform (the show) to combat racism. I remember watching an episode with my kids and he asks Officer Clemmons to cool off in his pool with him. I think that was his way of addressing segregation and blacks being kicked out of 'white only' pools. I could be wrong though. It just seemed like the kind of thing he would do.

Yes, that's it! That was all tied together in the film.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Yes, that's it! That was all tied together in the film.
    How neat! My hubby absolutely adores Mr. Rogers, so I am sure he will want to see it. He even has a Mr. Rogers hockey card or something - LOL!

I can't wait to see this - I have heard so much about it! I had tears in my eyes from the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    How neat! My hubby absolutely adores Mr. Rogers, so I am sure he will want to see it. He even has a Mr. Rogers hockey card or something - LOL!
    lol, nice...did your hubby know about when Twitch streamed the entire series* of MRN last spring and this spring? Weeks and weeks of non-stop Mr. Rogers bliss!

*(minus the "Conflict" week Fred Rogers never wanted shown again)

Quote Originally Posted by Magicat View Post
    I can't wait to see this - I have heard so much about it! I had tears in my eyes from the trailer.
    Yeah if you had tears in your eyes from the trailer, just wait till you see the film!

lol, nice...did your hubby know about when Twitch streamed the entire series* of MRN last spring and this spring? Weeks and weeks of non-stop Mr. Rogers bliss!

*(minus the "Conflict" week Fred Rogers never wanted shown again)
    I do not think so. I feel like Amazon or Netflix has some of the series. I want to show it to my children. I think they would really enjoy it!

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    I was lucky enough to catch this on its final night in my city last night. It is quite an emotional experience---I smiled, I laughed, I cried, I was deeply touched, I was heartbroken, I was disgusted* --- it's a roller coaster, but overall a glorious one. At the end I had had tears streaming down my face and I felt "put through the emotional wringer"; it is an amazing film. I highly recommend it if it comes to a theater near you!

I just wish Betty Aberlin had been one of the interviewees, as she was such an enormous part of that show as "Lady Aberlin" in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.
    It was a good film and I had a similar emotional reaction.

I also missed Betty Aberlin - she was in chat during the recent twitch streams, and she was a delight. Apparently she wouldn’t agree to being interviewed on camera, for whatever reason. Our loss.

My kids were immediately captured by Mr. Rogers whenever twitch was streaming it. It still captivates after all these years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    It was a good film and I had a similar emotional reaction.

I also missed Betty Aberlin - she was in chat during the recent twitch streams, and she was a delight.

You were there too?? So was I! What a small online world, lol...were you a chatter? If so, who were you? I was "GreenFraggle"

I grabbed a lot of her comments in chat and saved them. :-) She even spoke to me a few times!

Apparently she wouldn’t agree to being interviewed on camera, for whatever reason. Our loss.
    Yeah I think with the Tom Hanks/Mr. Rogers film coming out she said either she wasn't asked to be in it, or she turned it down; maybe she turned down this one as well? A good friend of mine said she said in chat something about wanting to leave the memories as they are and not go back into things too much, but just enjoy them for what they are and how we remember things. Something like that.

My kids were immediately captured by Mr. Rogers whenever twitch was streaming it. It still captivates after all these years.
    That's awesome :-)

When they showed a clip of King Friday "getting amorous" over Queen Sara, as he said, "Ohhh, Saraaaaa" and started kissing her, some guys and gals in their 20s or 30s in the back row burst out laughing---I loved that!

And since Grandpere is my favorite puppet but one of the more seldom-used ones, I knew not to hope too much he would appear. So you can imagine my excitement when I got to soak him up for 2 seconds when they showed this clip!

QSG.jpg

It is on PBS tonight. I'm going to DVR it.

Being on twitter during his birthday in 2018 was honestly horrible, lots of people openly talking about how they hated him.

Anyone who has bad things to say about this man... sorry but you are not a good person. That's what really annoys me- if he were still alive he'd be labeled on a regular basis by the internet for his beliefs and the way he presented himself.

Worse off he was influential in the VCR being a common home device with the ability to record from TV as a feature- the industry rich bigwigs claimed it would kill entertainment but he fought their claims with basic logic and won, and these days they're so strictly anti-piracy and greedy they're pushing for worldwide laws to jail people who make copies of media and both the MPAA and RIAA would be putting out attack ads against him for supporting copying.

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood also seems to have failed to take over that niche or get any real recognition. Plus the MLP fans attack the show, I guess it being what their toy commercial fad tried to be yet fails upsets them.

In some ways we are better off than we used to be but in many other ways it feels like we're going backwards at a quick pace. Not only is everything he stood for and the word he did slowly being undone but more and more are willing to villify him because they think "saying mean things" and treating other people like garbage is a life necessity.

As much as I wish this and the Hanks film might begin to reverse that, I fear the damage has been done and is too irreversible. I don't see anyone else really stepping up to fill the void either, nor would I expect them to do so without a lot of resistance.
    Last edited by Uki; February 11, 2019 at 09:12pm.

Every now and then it's really good to step away from the internet and social media. It's become it's own little world and a LOT of people choose to live there rather than in the real world. People will say things they'd never have the courage or gall to say in public. People say and do things they don't even believe in just to make others angry. People like to talk about how awful the world is and how awful humans are.

But these people are sad. They're lonely. They're hurting. The internet world is where they can try and project to be the person they aren't.

My overall point is that internet opinions aren't worth much unless you know the PERSON they're coming from.

I believe that if a "Mister Rogers" appeared today out of nowhere, everyone would be suspicious of his motives. But if Mister Rogers were still alive today, he'd be the one "celebrity" in the world people could trust.
    Last edited by Dice; February 12, 2019 at 10:36am.

The world sucks and it is because the vocal minority of people on this planet, on both sides, are vile creatures who lack any personal accountability or self respect. The vast majority of people keep their heads down and just try to live their lives and stay out of the fray. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    Last edited by Uki; February 11, 2019 at 09:15pm.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Folks, let’s make certain to keep ALL political discussion to the Tar Swamp, as Forum Rules dictate. I’ve edited several posts here for such content. Carry on!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy