Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PROTECTED: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Animated Series Positivity Thread

PROTECTED: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power Animated Series Positivity Thread

Protected thread!

Here is the link for the debate-friendly general discussion thread for the show:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...etflix-in-2018

Forum Members can use this thread as a place to discuss and celebrate in a positive manner the She-Ra and the Princesses of Power animated series coming to Netflix on November 16, 2018.

Rules:

No arguments. Protected threads are not open for debate or argument. These threads are for people to discuss a belief without fear of being attacked and/or challenged. If you want to continue to argue or discuss an opposing opinion, please visit the link at the top of the thread to participate in the previous debate-friendly discussion.

No "call outs." If you disagree with something that has been said in a Protected Thread, you can't call that person out into another thread to discuss/argue about it. Nor can you use that user's post against them in another thread. Protected threads are just that: protected, and so are the comments inside. If you disagree with the general topic and want to start your own thread to the contrary, then that's one thing. But Protected threads are not about fighting with individual users.

I think this thread is needed.

And I'm here to celebrate the return of She-Ra. Very timely thread.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    She-Ra is back! For the Honor of Grayskull!

I've been saying everywhere I've been looking forward to watching this with my soon-to-be 4 year old daughter. November 16th can't get here soon enough!
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

I am super excited about this show - November can't be here soon enough!

So, while we wait, some speculation is fun. I am looking at the images from EW and here are my theories.

Scene with Glimmer, Bow and Adora:

- Adora still has the Horde insignia here (and a grumpy horde face), so I assume this is before she learned of her powers. Bow is standing on the same side, as if they arrived together, so does that mean that Bow was leading a search party to find Adora? Maybe Glimmer sent him there because she's holding the sword (and also looks like she is the only one in this scene who knows what's going on). Also, where are they exacly? The background looks like a cave, or crystals? Crystal caves???

image-2.jpg

Scene with Catra and Adora:

- Adora is holding the Horde insignia that she was wearing in the other picture. She looks like she is making a difficult decision, and the way Catra is looking away, I bet you this is the scene where Adora is leaving the Horde (she just took off the Horde symbol) and Catra is probably feeling abandoned, maybe disappointed in She-Ra. But it seems like she isn't ready to fight her or even stop her. She looks more like someone who feels betrayed by a former friend. If any of this is right, I think it will create a great dynamic between them. That image almost seems like two siblings choosing the opposing sides in a war, both struggling with that fact but unable to choose otherwise.

image-4.jpg

Glowing She-Ra image:

No major theories here, just curious if the background is Whispering Woods. It looks great if it is.

image-3.jpg

BTW, just to be clear, all of this is just pure speculation as I look at the images. It is probably totally wrong

The background for the first image seems more rock-like than woody, but too smooth to be natural. Perhaps the interior of Castle Brightmoon?
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    I can't wait until 16 November! I hope that we get to see some more character designs and possibly even a trailer or TOYS before then.

I like everything that we've seen to date. The apparent backstory between Adora and Catra looks interesting. And Glimmer appears to be a bit more mature and in more of a leadership role. I look forward to seeing Glimmer butting heads with Adora for control of The Great Rebellion, especially given Adora's history with the Evil Horde.

I'm impressed that all of the character designs are pretty "fresh", but faithful to the original colour palettes. I'm not sure if I have a favourite to date, but Catra's design is probably one of the coolest with a bit more ... "detail" in the design (especially in comparison to the simpler, regal Glimmer).

Castle Bright Moon looks really lovely. I wonder if it will have greater prominence / more regular appearances in this series. Perhaps The Great Rebellion live in the castle and the castle is located within The Whispering Woods? The small glimpses of the Fright Zone and the Whispering Woods also appear to be faithful to the original, Filmation designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    I can't wait until 16 November! I hope that we get to see some more character designs and possibly even a trailer or TOYS before then.

I like everything that we've seen to date. The apparent backstory between Adora and Catra looks interesting. And Glimmer appears to be a bit more mature and in more of a leadership role. I look forward to seeing Glimmer butting heads with Adora for control of The Great Rebellion, especially given Adora's history with the Evil Horde.

I'm impressed that all of the character designs are pretty "fresh", but faithful to the original colour palettes. I'm not sure if I have a favourite to date, but Catra's design is probably one of the coolest with a bit more ... "detail" in the design (especially in comparison to the simpler, regal Glimmer).

Castle Bright Moon looks really lovely. I wonder if it will have greater prominence / more regular appearances in this series. Perhaps The Great Rebellion live in the castle and the castle is located within The Whispering Woods? The small glimpses of the Fright Zone and the Whispering Woods also appear to be faithful to the original, Filmation designs.
    Well, Mattel will have a panel at Power-Con. They could show off the corresponding toy line then!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

One of the many reasons I'm excited about this show is to (hopefully) get a better sense of Etheria overall. I know MOTU gave us more episodes to play around in Eternia with, but I feel like Etheria in the old PoP never reached it's full potential storywise. I can't wait to see what the new show gives us in terms of landscapes, different parts of the planet, Fright Zone, Horror Hall, if they'll remain completely Etheria-bound the way MYP He-Man never left Eternia for other planets, moons, etc. I'd like to know lots more about the Crystal Castle and wonder if it'll be kept a secret or if it will be a seat of power that others are trying to obtain, that sort of stuff.

I am very excited to see the story lines for this show. The animation backgrounds look like they are going to be breathtaking from what I've seen so far. Many of the redesigns may take some getting used to, but there are none shown so far that I out and out hate.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

And Glimmer appears to be a bit more mature and in more of a leadership role. I look forward to seeing Glimmer butting heads with Adora for control of The Great Rebellion, especially given Adora's history with the Evil Horde.
    I really like this, I want to see a more competent Glimmer leading the rebels, and I am especially interested in how they all deal with Adora's history. This was swept under the rug in the original show. I don't think it would work today. I see two ways of solving this: either they downplay Adora's involvement with the Horde, instead of Force Captain Adora the new cartoon could give us a sheltered Horde "princess" who lives in a fake fairytale where everyone pretends that everything is fine and there is no occupation. Or, her road to redemption has to be more demanding, with a lot more atonement and suspicion from the rebels.

One way to handle it would be, the rebels don't even accept Adora because of what she did (at least not in season 1) but they do accept She-Ra because they have no idea it's the same person. So it's not until season 3 or 4 (when She-ra has done enough good) for Adora to finally be accepted and join the rebel camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Well, Mattel will have a panel at Power-Con. They could show off the corresponding toy line then!
    Yes! Is this too much to ask?

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    So happy with the look of this show and looking forward to it!
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/

I'm Bacccck!

So, any thoughts on how the characters' might be improved upon this time around from their old selves? Faults (not the same as flaws) that could be removed to make them more well rounded? Backgrounds that could be expanded upon?

Basic stuff for me is more based around abilities and powers being more well thought out.
    The writing for the old show was all over the place and part of the problem with the lesser episodes was that some of the folks who had one off episodes seemed to be... well, they just threw whatever in there and sometimes it was a mess. Entertaining, because it's a cartoon after all, but nonetheless kind of a mess. I'm expecting Dreamworks is going to present a show that's been gone over with a fine toothed comb, which should hopefully result in a more coherent world of characters.
    For example, Catra in the episode Magicats (I think?) using her new-found "Freeze Fire!" powers via beams coming out of her... cat mask. It's like... what?! Sometimes things would happen in Filmation and even as a kid you'd wonder what drugs were the writers on? Ha ha! So yeah... I'd like Catra with more natural cat-like abilities rather than having a transformation sequence into an armored cat where she would end up in a barrel of water after tussling with She-Ra.

Glimmer and her mother Angella and more background about them and their people and powers. Having Glimmer actually being able to use consistent powers and magic throughout the series.

The Star Sisters. Cool. They popped up in one or two scenes randomly in an episode and were never seen or mentioned ever again. Let's get them some actual showtime in the new show!

Kowl, per the toy, was referenced as being some sort of "Know-It Owl". I thought that meant he was going to be, well, a wise old owl who was going to be a great reference point for Adora and friends to go to. Nope. In Filmation he was just a constant ***** all the time! It was always like "little dude, you're not helping with your comments!", you know?

Hmmm.... overall the Horde (Shadow Weaver aside) needs to be made to be more competent. Entrapta should be able to use those braids to do more than move a lever up and down inside a vehicle once or twice. Let's see where she gets that name from, shall we?

I think the old version of Imp could translate pretty well into the new PoP. Light Hope could benefit from more involvement in the stories. Compared to how He-Man and the Sorceress' relationship was in MOTU, She-Ra and Light Hope barely connected in the old show. So let's see some more of the two of them together, Adora/She-Ra going to Light Hope for guidance and knowledge, and the Crystal Castle needs more fleshing out as well (yeah, I know it's an inanimate object, but you get the idea).

There's also things, if they are to be included, that could be improved upon- Butterflyer, Enchanta... are these beings like Swift Wind who can speak or are they merely one appearance only steeds in the new show? Is the Butterflyer alive?

Horde Troopers- I guess I'd like to know how they came about in the first place. They were always there in Filmation and at first they seemed to be human, but later in the series definitely shifted to being robots that broke apart in battle. So what's the deal with them in a new series, if they appear? Haunted suits of armor? Cybernetic robots? Mindless slaves? Willful villains who have sided with evil?
    Last edited by zodak74; July 18, 2018 at 08:27pm.

Based on the images I've seen so far I want to see what this new She-Ra series is like.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Hopefully the lessening of restrictions will let them flesh out the characters more this time around.

Thanks for making this separate thread. The negativity around this relaunch has been kind of overwhelming, and I've been sort of afraid to check in on the other one.

I'm looking forward to modern TV writing approaches to these characters - Deeper characterization, more of a focus on emotional growth, and arching storylines. Fingers crossed for some cool fight scenes with slicker animation, too! I wonder if we'll get any subtle Eternian Easter eggs, even though Dreamworks doesn't have the MOTU rights.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    I wonder if we'll get any subtle Eternian Easter eggs, even though Dreamworks doesn't have the MOTU rights.
    Dreamworks/Universal do have the MOTU+POP Filmation rights. That's why their logo is on Dark Horse books that feature Filmation materials one way or another.

dreamworks-filmation-motupop.jpg
    Last edited by Jukka; July 26, 2018 at 06:48am.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    So, any thoughts on how the characters' might be improved upon this time around from their old selves? Faults (not the same as flaws) that could be removed to make them more well rounded? Backgrounds that could be expanded upon?
    Consistent powers. Consistent characterisation. And character growth would all the major pluses for me. Glimmer was obviously the character that suffered the most from being rewritten in almost every episode - going from leader of The Great Rebellion to extremely foolish child.

It would also be good if the motivation for some characters isolating themselves from the fight against The Evil Horde was clarified. Frosta, Mermista, Castaspella, etc all just hiding away in their kingdoms, never offering any real help to The Great Rebellion, except in the odd episode or two was a little strange. Queen Angela at least seemed to have more of a vital role in offering sanctuary for members of The Great Rebellion in Castle Bright Moon.

Things like Sea Hawk and General Sudner’s character evolutions should definitely repeated and expanded upon. Sea Hawk going from someone profiteering from war to fighting against the Horde was great to see. Same with Sunder being convinced by She-Ra to see the truth about the evilness of the Evil Horde.

The fact that they appear to be acknowledging some kind of relationship / friendship between Adora and Capra bodes well. It was always a little odd that Force Captain Adora seemingly didn’t have much to do with Catra, Scorpia, Entrapta, Grizzlor, Mantenna or Leech during her 18 odd years in the same army.

As "Force Captain", no less! It was a title she bore, but even in Secret Of The Sword says something akin to the fact that she was sheltered in the Fright Zone most of her life.

I would also be happy to see the rebellion make some headway in actually fighting the Horde back. 90-something episodes of Filmation PoP and they made very little- if any actual- progress in their goal of freeing Etheria, really. "...Strive to free Etheria, for a season and a half! For the honor of Grayskull, we ain't doing much of anything but reacting over here! Bless our hearts!"
    If the Horde got driven back (even if it took a couple of seasons), that would be rewarding to finally see. It wouldn't even have to be the end of the series, as a new threat could pop up a time later.

Consistent powers. Consistent characterisation. And character growth would all the major pluses for me. Glimmer was obviously the character that suffered the most from being rewritten in almost every episode - going from leader of The Great Rebellion to extremely foolish child.

It would also be good if the motivation for some characters isolating themselves from the fight against The Evil Horde was clarified. Frosta, Mermista, Castaspella, etc all just hiding away in their kingdoms, never offering any real help to The Great Rebellion, except in the odd episode or two was a little strange. Queen Angela at least seemed to have more of a vital role in offering sanctuary for members of The Great Rebellion in Castle Bright Moon.

Things like Sea Hawk and General Sudner’s character evolutions should definitely repeated and expanded upon. Sea Hawk going from someone profiteering from war to fighting against the Horde was great to see. Same with Sunder being convinced by She-Ra to see the truth about the evilness of the Evil Horde.

The fact that they appear to be acknowledging some kind of relationship / friendship between Adora and Capra bodes well. It was always a little odd that Force Captain Adora seemingly didn’t have much to do with Catra, Scorpia, Entrapta, Grizzlor, Mantenna or Leech during her 18 odd years in the same army.
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    As "Force Captain", no less! It was a title she bore, but even in Secret Of The Sword says something akin to the fact that she was sheltered in the Fright Zone most of her life.

I would also be happy to see the rebellion make some headway in actually fighting the Horde back. 90-something episodes of Filmation PoP and they made very little- if any actual- progress in their goal of freeing Etheria, really. "...Strive to free Etheria, for a season and a half! For the honor of Grayskull, we ain't doing much of anything but reacting over here! Bless our hearts!"
    If the Horde got driven back (even if it took a couple of seasons), that would be rewarding to finally see. It wouldn't even have to be the end of the series, as a new threat could pop up a time later.
    I agree, even though I got a different impression. For all that the Horde was supposed to be in charge of the planet, Hordak seemed to have missed quite a few Kingdoms. Spikeheart makes sense, but Chill and Mermista's Kingdom, to say nothing of the Twigget Kingdom which was apparently outside the Woods enough it could be taken over for one episode.

Can we create a general negativity thread with no arguments or call outs?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    They did free Castle Bright Moon, but ... that was about it! They also expanded their army, with Sweet Bee and her people and Granita and her fellow Rock Warriors. But, we never actually saw any of them meaningfully engaging with the Evil Horde very often.

I might be misremembering, but I'm not even sure She-Ra managed to destroy / close Beast Island. Or, if she did, I think it popped back up in a later episode.

I agree that it would be good to see of a "give and take" / "battles won and last" for both The Great Rebellion and The Evil Horde. It shouldn't be easy for Adora and She-Ra to defeat The Evil Horde. Not only should the Evil Horde be a physical force to be reckoned with, but they should also be a mental / emotional force to be reckoned with. By controlling the flow of information, feeding the people of Etheria false information, etc, it should be difficult for The Great Rebellion to convince some villages, etc to rise up against the Evil Horde. I guess a little like the citizens of North Korea, although I prefer to avoid real world comparisons when it comes to cartoons. She-Ra and The Great Rebellion should also encounter issues with leaders / rulers of areas who are in league with the Evil Horde and happy to sell their people into slavery, etc if it means their own personal safety (and wealth).

All of the complexities of freeing an entire planet from the rule of a totalitarian dictator should be considered. And, once that is done, they can move onto trying to figure out how to free the galaxy. At least one or two off-world adventures, like the planned episode where She-Ra was meant to reunite with Huntara to help her planet, would be good to see as an absolute minimum.