Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Official DC Aquaman movie thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I don't think it's a disappointment at all, I think Jason Momoa's Aquaman is brilliant and amazing, but I still love all the animated versions of Aquaman, they're what got me hooked on the character in the first place.
    Oh, I grew up with the super friends and wish Momoa was a little more blonde and a little shorter hair... still looks a bit too crazy Namor for my tastes.

But if people like the super tough macho Aquaman… those cartoons are NOT what they'll be seeing

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Oh, I grew up with the super friends and wish Momoa was a little more blonde and a little shorter hair... still looks a bit too crazy Namor for my tastes.

But if people like the super tough macho Aquaman… those cartoons are NOT what they'll be seeing
    I wasn't criticising you Phantom1592, I was just saying I still love Super Friends (I have all 12 seasons on DVD) and the new Aquaman movie equally. There was a time when I thought Paul Walker might be ideal as the Sea King, but since he's sadly no longer with us I'm happy with what I've seen of Jason Momoa's performance from the trailers. Being in Australia, I still have to wait a couple more days to see this amazing looking movie.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

But if people like the super tough macho AquamanÖ those cartoons are NOT what they'll be seeing
    I'm seeing it differently.

Namor is a snubby " I am better than anyone else" submariner..... pretty much unlike the macho, impulsive, "I am not a king" Aquaman that Mamoa characterized.

Superfriends Aquaman, Justice League Aquaman, Young Justice Aquaman, Brave and the Bold Aquaman were differently characterized but Mamoa's Aquaman nailed the cinematic version of the character.

The movie is doing well hope it makes enough to warrant immediate filming of Aquaman 2.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    This was bloated and boring.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the heck out of this!

The story is very similar to the Throne of Atlantis arc that ran in Geoff Johns' Aquaman books, and it translates very well to the big screen. It has a ton of beautiful imagery, lots of fantastic action (especially a certain scene in Italy!!) and the characters are all played, and cast, perfectly.

Is there some silly/cheesy parts? Of course, but I feel this was done purposefully to off-set the ridiculous and unneeded gloom of Goyer/Snyder's movies... I actually appreciate some of the silly dialogue and set pieces as it brings it even closer to that MCU-esque storytelling.

I highly recommend this movie. I can't wait to see it again!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I have to say, I really enjoyed the heck out of this!

The story is very similar to the Throne of Atlantis arc that ran in Geoff Johns' Aquaman books, and it translates very well to the big screen. It has a ton of beautiful imagery, lots of fantastic action (especially a certain scene in Italy!!) and the characters are all played, and cast, perfectly.

Is there some silly/cheesy parts? Of course, but I feel this was done purposefully to off-set the ridiculous and unneeded gloom of Goyer/Snyder's movies... I actually appreciate some of the silly dialogue and set pieces as it brings it even closer to that MCU-esque storytelling.

I highly recommend this movie. I can't wait to see it again!
    I like when Mera uses water drawn from Aquaman to power the machine in the temple and he suggests he could have just peed on it, and the look she gives him is priceless. Then when Mera smashes the device and Aquaman suggests they should have written down what King Atlan said, and she says she memorised it, didn't he, and Aquaman says "Oh yeah, sure", and Mera asks what was said, and Aquaman says "Something, something trident". Totally funny! The visual scenes are breathtaking, and the action is incredible.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: There is absolutely room for dark, heavy Superhero stuff like WATCHMEN, CHRONICLE, and The BOYS, but that's not what the general public wants to see with mainstream Marvel or DC.
    correction. That's not what the public wants to see with EVERY DC HERO. Not everyone can be batman. someone has to be 12 year old Billy Baston. DC was trying to make everyone dark and gloomy like batman, because they think that was the only reason why batman was working.
    they found out the hard way why that's not the case.
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    correction. That's not what the public wants to see with EVERY DC HERO. Not everyone can be batman. someone has to be 12 year old Billy Baston. DC was trying to make everyone dark and gloomy like batman, because they think that was the only reason why batman was working.
    they found out the hard way why that's not the case.
    DC didn't find out the hard way about anything. Mainstream DC's movies have all been brilliant, each in in their own way. Some work as heavy and dark, others work as light and comedic. It's all about balance. The Dark Knight Trilogy was brilliant, especially Dark Knight Rises with Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, and Ben Affleck have all been dynamic as Bruce Wayne/Batman, again, each in their own way. Adam West's Batman was great too, in the style and times his show was set in. All are equally relevant, just different, but it's a good kind of different.

I can't comment about Marvel, since I'm not really a Marvel fan, and I'm also not a fan of Vertigo related properties like Watchmen.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Its exactly what DC needed. Its big and dumb and super fun and full of color and energy.

Its much closer to a Marvel film than the Nolan/Snyder dreck they've been putting out for years and years. It embraces being a "comic book movie" instead of being embarrassed by it.
    This. I loved it! I've seen it twice and I enjoyed it even more on the second showing. It was the best DC film since Burton's Batman films IMO. Mamoa...and quite frankly the entire cast were all great. It was a bit long but after seeing it the second time, I don't see how they could have cut it down any more without cutting out out some of the "character" scenes. Those little scenes really add to the characters.

I purposely avoided media about the film so I could could go in "fresh." I was shocked to see Dolph Lundgren and Temuera Morrison in this! I nearly spit out of soda when Dolph showed up. He-Man and Jango in an Aquaman film? COOL!

And to top it off a Depeche Mode song!

EDIT: I forgot to say how much I enjoyed the soundtrack by RGW. Pitbull though should be beaten for butchering Toto's "Africa."
    Last edited by Bonehead; December 23, 2018 at 07:43pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Yeah. Everything was too OTT. The music was always loud, the characters were always shouting their lines and the acting was atrocious (with a few exceptions). There was no subtlety whatsoever. It was almost like a pantomime. The visuals were good, so there was lots of pretty things (or horrific things) to look at, but without the characters, who cares? When James Wan was announced as director, I had high hopes. However, he turned out, at best, a very mediocre film.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Yeah. Everything was too OTT. The music was always loud, the characters were always shouting their lines and the acting was atrocious (with a few exceptions). There was no subtlety whatsoever. It was almost like a pantomime. The visuals were good, so there was lots of pretty things (or horrific things) to look at, but without the characters, who cares? When James Wan was announced as director, I had high hopes. However, he turned out, at best, a very mediocre film.
    The music is amazing, the visuals are stunning, the actors were brilliant in their roles, especially Jason Momoa, Nicole Kidman, Amber Heard, Dolph Lundgren, and Julie Andrews (as the voice of Karathen), and Ocean Master and Black Manta were dynamic villains. Lots of people care actually, Aquaman is a colossal hit and is the best movie in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I loved it! I've seen it twice and I enjoyed it even more on the second showing. It was the best DC film since Burton's Batman films IMO. Mamoa...and quite frankly the entire cast were all great. It was a bit long but after seeing it the second time, I don't see how they could have cut it down any more without cutting out out some of the "character" scenes. Those little scenes really add to the characters.

I purposely avoided media about the film so I could could go in "fresh." I was shocked to see Dolph Lundgren and Temuera Morrison in this! I nearly spit out of soda when Dolph showed up. He-Man and Jango in an Aquaman film? COOL!

And to top it off a Depeche Mode song!
    I agree with all of this... especially this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    EDIT: I forgot to say how much I enjoyed the soundtrack by RGW. Pitbull though should be beaten for butchering Toto's "Africa."
    The music is amazing, the visuals are stunning, the actors were brilliant in their roles, especially Jason Momoa, Nicole Kidman, Amber Heard, Dolph Lundgren, and Julie Andrews (as the voice of Karathen), and Ocean Master and Black Manta were dynamic villains. Lots of people care actually, Aquaman is a colossal hit and is the best movie in a long time.
    And don't forget Willem Dafoe!

He was a perfect Nuidis Vulko!!

Wow... you think that a production like this is "at best, a very mediocre film"...??

I can't imagine what your expectations of an Aquaman movie must have been...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

OMG IT'S THE LATEST DCEU MOVIE! LOOK OUT, IT'S AQUAMAN! HE'S SOOO COOL.

Funny how my 8year old daughter manage to stay awake the entire movie the night when we watched it at cinema. Might not be boring enough.

Well, IMHO the movie is fun and entertaining while telling a great story Congrats to its cast and whole production team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I agree with all of this... especially this:

And don't forget Willem Dafoe!

He was a perfect Nuidis Vulko!!

I totally agree with you Ornclown, Willem Dafoe was awesome as Nuidis Vulko, the problem is I always leave someone or something out when I make a list. I also forgot to mention Temuera Morrison as Tom Curry.

I am going to see Aquaman more than once, and wait until I get the DVD, I'll probably watch it endlessly and wear the disc out.
    Last edited by Mikey; December 24, 2018 at 05:20am.

Just got home after watching Aquaman for the 2nd time in cinema. Went to see it with the wife and nephew.

There are lots of movies we’re excited to see this holiday season. Aquaman is at the top of our list!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

If a movie about a race of intelligent, shark riding 'humans' who live in a magical city on the bottom of the ocean seems a little too over the top, what in blazes would a MOTU movie seem like!!??

Last edited by DC_WARLORD; December 24, 2018 at 05:47pm.
    Odd Man Out

I can't believe it beat Bumblebee for the weekend! The combined might of John Cena and Transformers was beaten by a DC film. Shocked would an understatement! I guess many couldn't and didn't see you John! Ha!!!

With a global tally of $482.8M so far, I guess it can be called a success.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    If a movie about a race of intelligent, shark riding 'humans' who live in a magical city on the bottom of the ocean seems a little too over the top, what in blazes would a MOTU movie seem like!!??

Anything is game now. No more of this "Its too hard to faithfully translate MOTU to the big screen" nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Funny how my 8year old daughter manage to stay awake the entire movie the night when we watched it at cinema. Might not be boring enough.
    "Engaging for an 8-year-old."

Technically, Harry, Hermione, and Ron were 11 when they first started at Hogwarts.

Besides, Aquaman is engaging for anyone who loves the DC Comics movies and especially Aquaman fans. The movie is performed brilliantly, visually breathtaking and imaginative, and with a gripping storyline, plus a whole lot of humour and heart, as well as having heartwarming moments when there needed to be.

I'm sure of it since the popcorn lasted only half the movie.

Technically, Harry, Hermione, and Ron were 11 when they first started at Hogwarts.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, Aquaman, although leading the box office in its opening weekend, didn't seem to fare too well when compared to other films in its genre:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/aquaman_2018/

It has a 64% Rotten Tomato score (which is barely "fresh" by 4%) and with 82% of the audience loving it (just as an example not as concrete evidence).

Its 3 day opening weekend domestic box office is an estimated 72.7 million dollars (out of a supposed 190 million dollar budget) according to Box Office Mojo:

http://]https://www.boxofficemojo.co...dcfilm0617.htm

Unfortunately, that places last in the opening weekend box offices of the recent DCEU films:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonth.../#45b122050f3f

"Perhaps one of the most fanticipated films of the year, Aquaman, is here and dominating the holidays like a kind of wet Santa.

Even in recent weeks, industry insiders were predicting a box office debut of between $60 million and $82 million Ė even the best case scenario there was $10 million less than box office bomb, Justice League. Thatís despite Fandango reporting that their Aquaman pre-sales were outpacing those for Wonder Woman at the same point in the advance ticket sales cycle.

Fandango wasnít alone in seeing an uptick. Atom Tickets also reported that Aquaman was their top advance ticket seller ever in its first 24 hours of sales - Avengers: Infinity War previously held that honor. When you consider that the DCEU has only had a presence in theaters for five years versus MCUís decade, it suggests there are a lot of thirsty DC fans out there outside of the hardcore base.

6. Aquaman (Warner Bros) 2018

Opening Weekend: $72.1 million

Total Box Office: TBD

The sixth installment in the DCEU is the third live-action theatrical film featuring Aquaman and the first full-length feature film centered around the titular character. Opening overseas weeks ahead of its domestic debut, it had already taken over $360 million before hitting U.S. theaters - it performed particularly well in China where it had taken $189 million up to December 16, 2018, more than Justice League during its entire run there. FYI, Aquaman reportedly cost $200 million to make. Critics have been divided, and it remains to be seen if Aquaman has legs - not literally as we already know the answer to that.

5. Justice League (Warner Bros) 2017

Opening Weekend: $93.84 million

Total Box Office: $229.02 million

With a worldwide box office gross of $657 million and a break-even point of $750 million, Justice League is a bona fide box office flop - and is, currently, the lowest overall grossing entry in the DCEU. With an estimated production budget of $300 million, Justice League is also one of the most expensive films ever made. It got an exceedingly mixed reaction from critics and, evidently, audiences didnít get on board in the numbers the studio had hoped for. Even though it bombed, it still managed to open stronger than Aquaman.

4. Wonder Woman (Warner Bros) 2017

Opening Weekend: $103.25 million

Total Box Office: $412.56 million

Wonder Woman, the best-reviewed film in the DCU, and the franchise's most successful at the domestic box office had been in development since 1996. It grossed over $821 million worldwide, making it the seventh-highest-grossing film of 2017 and helped the DCEU to push past $3 billion at the worldwide box office. For a while, Wonder Woman was the highest rated superhero movie on Rotten Tomatoes - its 93% score has been bested by Black Panther and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse. A sequel, Wonder Woman 1984, is going to hit theaters on June 5, 2020.

3. Man of Steel (Warner Bros) 2013

Opening Weekend: $116.62 million

Total Box Office: $291.05 million

The first entry in the DCEU received mixed reviews, but that didnít stop it becoming a hit at the box office grossing over $668 million worldwide and making it the highest-grossing solo Superman film ever. Man of Steel was Henry Cavillís first outing as Superman/Clark Kent, roles he returned to for the 2016 follow-up, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and, in some form, in Justice League. Thereís a big question mark hanging over a Man of Steel sequel with it never being officially greenlit and never officially being nixed either.

2. Suicide Squad (Warner Bros) 2016

Opening Weekend: $133.68 million

Total Box Office: $325.1 million

Despite mostly negative reviews, Suicide Squad set new box office records for August and grossed over $745 million worldwide. It also has the honor of securing the second-biggest debut ever for a non-sequel, behind The Hunger Gamesí $152 million, and the fifth biggest opening weekend for a Warner Bros movie. Suicide Squad was nominated for and won multiple awards, including an Oscar (for Best Makeup). A Suicide Squad sequel is on the way as are a number of Joker and Joker-related projects, at least some of which are part of the DCEU.

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Warner Bros) 2016

Opening Weekend: $166.01 million

Total Box Office: $330.36 million

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice gave us a number of firsts for the DCEU. It was the first time we saw Ben Affleck donning the iconic cowl and also the first time Gal Gadot hit the big screen as Wonder Woman. With an opening weekend domestic take of $166 million, it topped another Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises, and its $160.9 million box office bow. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justiceís worldwide opening of $422.5 million remains as the second-biggest for Warner Bros and is only the fourth film to have a global debut above $400 million. Again, critics didnít exactly gush over the super sequel, but that didnít stop it making bank."

The only question remains is if Aquaman will be immune to the critical mixed reviews as Suicide Squad and Batman V Superman were or will it continue to sink domestically in the following weekends...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!