Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Official DC Aquaman movie thread

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, Aquaman, although leading the box office in its opening weekend, didn't seem to fare too well when compared to other films in its genre:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/aquaman_2018/

It has a 64% Rotten Tomato score (which is barely "fresh" by 4%) and with 82% of the audience loving it (just as an example not as concrete evidence).

Its 3 day opening weekend domestic box office is an estimated 72.7 million dollars (out of a supposed 190 million dollar budget) according to Box Office Mojo:

http://]https://www.boxofficemojo.co...dcfilm0617.htm

Unfortunately, that places last in the opening weekend box offices of the recent DCEU films:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonth.../#45b122050f3f

"Perhaps one of the most fanticipated films of the year, Aquaman, is here and dominating the holidays like a kind of wet Santa.

Even in recent weeks, industry insiders were predicting a box office debut of between $60 million and $82 million – even the best case scenario there was $10 million less than box office bomb, Justice League. That’s despite Fandango reporting that their Aquaman pre-sales were outpacing those for Wonder Woman at the same point in the advance ticket sales cycle.

Fandango wasn’t alone in seeing an uptick. Atom Tickets also reported that Aquaman was their top advance ticket seller ever in its first 24 hours of sales - Avengers: Infinity War previously held that honor. When you consider that the DCEU has only had a presence in theaters for five years versus MCU’s decade, it suggests there are a lot of thirsty DC fans out there outside of the hardcore base.

6. Aquaman (Warner Bros) 2018

Opening Weekend: $72.1 million

Total Box Office: TBD

The sixth installment in the DCEU is the third live-action theatrical film featuring Aquaman and the first full-length feature film centered around the titular character. Opening overseas weeks ahead of its domestic debut, it had already taken over $360 million before hitting U.S. theaters - it performed particularly well in China where it had taken $189 million up to December 16, 2018, more than Justice League during its entire run there. FYI, Aquaman reportedly cost $200 million to make. Critics have been divided, and it remains to be seen if Aquaman has legs - not literally as we already know the answer to that.

5. Justice League (Warner Bros) 2017

Opening Weekend: $93.84 million

Total Box Office: $229.02 million

With a worldwide box office gross of $657 million and a break-even point of $750 million, Justice League is a bona fide box office flop - and is, currently, the lowest overall grossing entry in the DCEU. With an estimated production budget of $300 million, Justice League is also one of the most expensive films ever made. It got an exceedingly mixed reaction from critics and, evidently, audiences didn’t get on board in the numbers the studio had hoped for. Even though it bombed, it still managed to open stronger than Aquaman.

4. Wonder Woman (Warner Bros) 2017

Opening Weekend: $103.25 million

Total Box Office: $412.56 million

Wonder Woman, the best-reviewed film in the DCU, and the franchise's most successful at the domestic box office had been in development since 1996. It grossed over $821 million worldwide, making it the seventh-highest-grossing film of 2017 and helped the DCEU to push past $3 billion at the worldwide box office. For a while, Wonder Woman was the highest rated superhero movie on Rotten Tomatoes - its 93% score has been bested by Black Panther and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse. A sequel, Wonder Woman 1984, is going to hit theaters on June 5, 2020.

3. Man of Steel (Warner Bros) 2013

Opening Weekend: $116.62 million

Total Box Office: $291.05 million

The first entry in the DCEU received mixed reviews, but that didn’t stop it becoming a hit at the box office grossing over $668 million worldwide and making it the highest-grossing solo Superman film ever. Man of Steel was Henry Cavill’s first outing as Superman/Clark Kent, roles he returned to for the 2016 follow-up, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and, in some form, in Justice League. There’s a big question mark hanging over a Man of Steel sequel with it never being officially greenlit and never officially being nixed either.

2. Suicide Squad (Warner Bros) 2016

Opening Weekend: $133.68 million

Total Box Office: $325.1 million

Despite mostly negative reviews, Suicide Squad set new box office records for August and grossed over $745 million worldwide. It also has the honor of securing the second-biggest debut ever for a non-sequel, behind The Hunger Games’ $152 million, and the fifth biggest opening weekend for a Warner Bros movie. Suicide Squad was nominated for and won multiple awards, including an Oscar (for Best Makeup). A Suicide Squad sequel is on the way as are a number of Joker and Joker-related projects, at least some of which are part of the DCEU.

1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Warner Bros) 2016

Opening Weekend: $166.01 million

Total Box Office: $330.36 million

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice gave us a number of firsts for the DCEU. It was the first time we saw Ben Affleck donning the iconic cowl and also the first time Gal Gadot hit the big screen as Wonder Woman. With an opening weekend domestic take of $166 million, it topped another Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises, and its $160.9 million box office bow. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’s worldwide opening of $422.5 million remains as the second-biggest for Warner Bros and is only the fourth film to have a global debut above $400 million. Again, critics didn’t exactly gush over the super sequel, but that didn’t stop it making bank."

The only question remains is if Aquaman will be immune to the critical mixed reviews as Suicide Squad and Batman V Superman were or will it continue to sink domestically in the following weekends...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Well, Aquaman, although leading the box office in its opening weekend, didn't seem to fare too well when compared to other films in its genre:...
    Well considering the fact that it was the weekend before Christmas, when people are out shopping, and the stiff competition it was facing at the BO it's still a massive accomplishment. In November, people were predicting it to loose money. It's now made over half a billion worldwide. WB is stoked and they should be.

Mattel's stock falls after it loses licensing rights for some DC Comics toys

Mattel Inc. shares’ losing streak continued Monday after the toymaker lost the licensing rights for certain DC Comics products, including boys’ action toys, and Goldman Sachs analysts cut their estimates for the company.

Toronto-based Spin Master Corp. will be the new licensee for DC in the boys’ action category, remote control and robotic vehicles, water toys, and games and puzzles, displacing El Segundo-based Mattel. The three-year global agreement with Warner Bros. begins in spring 2020. Mattel will keep some of its licensing rights, including for preschool and girls’ toys, Goldman analyst Michael Ng said in a note to clients.

In October, Mattel reported gross sales of $303.9 million of its partner brands, including DC Comics, for the nine-month period that ended Sept. 30. That was a 15% decline from the same period last year. Mattel partially attributed the loss to lower sales of DC Comics girls’ and boys’ products.

Ng expects Mattel to “aggressively pursue” new licenses, noting that Hasbro Inc.’s licenses to Marvel and Star Wars toys expire in 2020.

In the meantime, investors may be watching the box office, where this weekend’s top performers included Warner Bros.’ “Aquaman,” based on the DC Comics character, and Hasbro’s new Transformers film, “Bumblebee.” The two movies helped propel the weekend receipts to the highest level in a month. “Aquaman” was the top performer.

Mattel shares, which were already trading at an 18-year low, dropped an additional 3.1% on Monday. The stock has lost nearly 40% of its value this year; the Standard & Poor’s 500 index, meanwhile, has lost about 12%.

The company reported net income of $6.3 million for the quarter that ended Sept. 30, compared with a loss of $603.2 million during the same quarter last year. But Mattel’s quarterly sales of $1.4 billion missed analysts’ estimates.

In July, the toymaker said it would cut more than 2,200 jobs as part of a $650-million cost-cutting plan announced last year. Like its industry rivals, Mattel has struggled to bounce back from the demise of Toys R Us this year.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...224-story.html
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

For someone who hasn’t been a fan of the post Christopher Nolan era of DC films I enjoyed the film. I wasn’t excited about Mamoa’s casting as Arthur Curry but he is likeable and charismatic enough to get behind. It is a solid 3 star movie on par with Wonder Woman. I had some eye brow raiseing questions with some of the action sequences regarding his teammates but it was a fun, no overly deep or emotional action film.

I saw Aquaman again today, and loved it even more. I think the first time I was too jaw-droppingly, breathtakingly, and totally awestruck by the beauty of the movie, but this time I also paid more attention to the fantastic performances, the humour, the romance, and the magnificent action. The BEST DC movie ever, in my opinion, and I can't wait for the DVD. I also liked how they set-up a potential sequel. Jason Momoa, Nicole Kidman, and Amber Heard are brilliant. Although I knew Julie Andrews was the voice of Karathen, she totally did not sound like herself, which I mean as a compliment to her acting skills. I wasn't expecting Mary Poppins and Maria Von Trapp or anything, but she really amazed me with her vocal range and pitch.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    OMG IT'S THE LATEST DCEU MOVIE! LOOK OUT, IT'S AQUAMAN! HE'S SOOO COOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3QGyBY5-c&t=0s
    "I think this film will play very well to 13-year-old boys and mentally-deficient adults. . . . They'll be wowed by it."

I saw it yesterday and thought it was great. Visually it felt unlike anything I've seen before... which, seeing this is like the 500th comic book movie to come out in the past decade or two, was cool to see that they can still wow us with these types of films. It's also so much of what I want to see in an eventual MOTU movie, that's it's hard NOT to like what they did with Aquaman. Whoever did the costumes for this one should get tapped for live-action He-Man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Much as I loved Wonder Woman, I have to say that James Wan's Aquaman tops it in all ways. A visual feast for the eyes, (ironic that ILM is the special effects house for the movie, particularly since they are owned by the House of Mouse, who of course owns DC's rival Marvel). The story is coherent, fast paced without leaving you wondering what the heck is going on, and stands completely on it's own.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I really LOVED Wonder Woman, but left the theatre yesterday feeling like this was just a better movie all around... which is not what I was expecting at all, because the trailer from months back didn't do much to impress me. But's that's ultimately how it should be with these movies. At this point in time, each new one SHOULD be topping the previous one and improving upon everything. I just wasn't expecting a Jason Momoa as Aquaman motion picture to be any good at all, so I was quite impressed, ha ha!

Also- I really want Dolph Lundgren as King Randor in the He-Man movie after seeing Aquaman.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Anything is game now. No more of this "Its too hard to faithfully translate MOTU to the big screen" nonsense.
    I do worry what's going to happen with the MOTU film.
    But after seeing Aquaman, it just has to be handed to the right people who "get it" and can run full throttle with the concept. Which is what I absolutely loved about Aquaman!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    "I think this film will play very well to 13-year-old boys and mentally-deficient adults. . . . They'll be wowed by it."
    Comments like these are potentially hurtful and definitely unnecessary.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Well considering the fact that it was the weekend before Christmas, when people are out shopping, and the stiff competition it was facing at the BO it's still a massive accomplishment.
    It was Warner Bros. who chose to release Aquaman on this weekend (as well at the other film companies for the other movies, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins Returns) so I am sure that the people in charge took into account the Christmas shopping/stiff competition into account. Yet, it still remains the lowest weekend opening box office amongst all DCEU films.

In November, people were predicting it to loose money. It's now made over half a billion worldwide.
    While it is commendable that Aquaman took in over $400 million internationally, the amount that Warner Bros. will actually receive from those international markets will only be 25%-50% (depending on the country). Hence the importance of the domestic box office and the subsequent performances during its time in theaters. So, it is vital that word of mouth propels this movie's domestic income as box office success is a marathon and not a sprint.[/QUOTE]
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Hey Mikey don't let such things get thru you.☺

I wasn't able to watch Aquaman at 3D, did you? Both times its in 2D for me yet I appreciate the visuals. In 3D that end battle scene will surely be awesome, right?

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

It was Warner Bros. who chose to release Aquaman on this weekend (as well at the other film companies for the other movies, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins Returns) so I am sure that the people in charge took into account the Christmas shopping/stiff competition into account. Yet, it still remains the lowest weekend opening box office amongst all DCEU films.
    But that doesn't make it a failure which you seem to keep inferring. Remember this is Aquaman and not Batman or Superman. It's a character that the general public probably knows very little about. Batman and Superman are the most well known comic book characters ever. Wonder Woman had a whole TV show for years in the late 70's and that show survived for many years even in syndication. Suicide Squad had the luck of having many well known Batman villains in it including the Joker, arguably the most known comic villain of all time in it. Aquaman had none of these advantages. He's most known for Super Friends and the horrible JL movie and yet still won the weekend against a Transformers franchise that has made almost 1.5 billion dollars. No matter what spin you put on it, Aquaman is still a huge success for WB and DC.

While it is commendable that Aquaman took in over $400 million internationally, the amount that Warner Bros. will actually receive from those international markets will only be 25%-50% (depending on the country). Hence the importance of the domestic box office and the subsequent performances during its time in theaters. So, it is vital that word of mouth propels this movie's domestic income as box office success is a marathon and not a sprint.
    [/QUOTE]

So since WB isn't getting 100% of the profits it's a failure? You just seem to be coming up with more nonsense excuses to knock the film now. It's been out for less than a week and still making money.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Hey Mikey don't let such things get thru you.☺

I wasn't able to watch Aquaman at 3D, did you? Both times its in 2D for me yet I appreciate the visuals. In 3D that end battle scene will surely be awesome, right?

I've only seen Aquaman in 2D, but you're right about how awesome it would be in 3D. I've never seen a more beautiful film, speaking visually of course, and the performances were absolutely the best. I'm so glad Atlanna came back in the end and stopped the war with love, instead of with violence and death. That was absolutely the perfect message to send. Too many characters in movies kill off the villain and learn nothing from it, but THIS ending was amazing. I doubt Orm/Ocean Master and Black Manta learned anything from the outcome, but Aquaman and Mera, as well as the Atlanteans/surface dwellers sure did, and so did the audience.

You're also right about not letting things get to me, I need to invoke the lessons I learned from the movie.

But that doesn't make it a failure which you seem to keep inferring.
    I never inferred that this movie is a "failure". I have only listed the fact that it had the lowest domestic opening weekend box office of all DCEU films released to date ($72.1 million) and listed its purported budget, $130 to $190 million (which is difficult to accurately determine as movie studios are reluctant to release such info so I have stated it at its high point to ensure a somewhat certain point of assurance when claiming profit). I have only claimed that it will still take more time to determine how profitable (or not) this film will be for Warner Bros.

Remember this is Aquaman and not Batman or Superman.
    Yes, I am well aware of who the subject of the movie is as his name is the only word in the film's title. But who the movie is about does not matter when it comes to if a movie is profitable and thus considered a success according to the movie studio that releases said film.

The only thing that matters to studio executives is Gross - Cost = Profit. And the most widely accepted belief for films is that a movie must earn 1.5 to 2 times its production budget (cost) just to break even. This is to take into account marketing costs and other overhead costs as well as production.

And that is why it is so important that a movie with such a large budget do well domestically where bigger percentages of ticket sales receipts (Gross) goes back to the film studio. A smaller film, like Venom, was considered a great success because it only had a production budget of $100-115 million (of which 33% was subsidized by Chinese company, Ten Cent Pictures, making the movie even more profitable for Sony) and domestically took in $213 million. That means that even if it had twice what it cost Sony ($66 million x 2 = $132) it already had $80 million in profit. Then factoring in the foreign box office take ($642 million) and given at most 50% of that got back to Sony ($321 million) and at the least 25% ($160 million), Venom made between $160 to $262 million in profit after all is said and done (assuming Ten Cent Pictures also got 33% of the profit).

And just to reiterate, that film studios do not ever retrieve 100% of gross from foreign markets. As I stated previously, China only returns 25% of what a Hollywood film makes in that country:

http://chinafilminsider.com/box-offi...e-china-works/

"Hollywood imports and Co-Productions are accorded their split (25% and 40%, respectively) from the full revenue, with the distributor and theaters subsequently dividing 91.7% of what’s left over.

Sometimes even less if Chinese theaters skim off the top:

https://variety.com/2017/film/box-of...ud-1202479488/

"The movie business has taken a hands-off approach to ticketing fraud in China over the last few years, worried that if it’s too aggressive, it could alienate the world’s second-largest film market. But as negotiations loom for a new film import agreement, Hollywood is finally getting tough.

Under the current agreement, signed in 2012, studios get 25% of gross ticket receipts, half of what theaters usually cough up in other major territories. The agreement also allows just 34 overseas releases to play in China each year, though that quota was exceeded last year. The agreement is due for renegotiation this year, and the studios will be seeking to sweeten the terms.

China has long been plagued by box office irregularities. In some cases, distributors have skimmed profits from producers by not reporting the full gross. In other cases, tickets for a major Hollywood release might be credited to a Chinese propaganda film to inflate its grosses. Sometimes tickets to a domestic release will be issued and then have the title crossed out, with the name of a Hollywood movie written on top.

China also has a powerful interest in puffing up its overall box office revenue, as it eagerly anticipates becoming the world’s largest film market within the next few years.

No matter what spin you put on it, Aquaman is still a huge success for WB and DC.
    I have put no "spin" on anything. I am only suggesting that more time is needed to claim "a huge success" for this film. To do so after only one weekend and with the least amount of opening domestic box office of all DCEU films so far is premature.

So since WB isn't getting 100% of the profits it's a failure?
    Again, I never called this film a "failure". Only you have used that word. My breakdown above about cost analysis of film production should state the importance of profit to a movie studio in determining success in their eyes.

You just seem to be coming up with more nonsense excuses to knock the film now.
    Please let me know what factually inaccurate information I have posted. I don't seem to recall any "nonsense" or any "knocking" of the film. Only information to the best of my knowledge.

It's been out for less than a week and still making money.
    I have never denied either. The only thing I dispute is calling it a "huge success" after only being out less than a week and making the least amount of money any DCEU film released on such a big production budget. The second weekend will be the most telling. If it only drops 40%, then it will most likely be a profitable success. However, if it drops 60% or more, then it will most likely not be considered one. As I stated in my initial post, we will just have to wait and see...
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; December 27, 2018 at 09:36pm.

I've only seen Aquaman in 2D, but you're right about how awesome it would be in 3D. I've never seen a more beautiful film, speaking visually of course, and the performances were absolutely the best. I'm so glad Atlanna came back in the end and stopped the war with love, instead of with violence and death. That was absolutely the perfect message to send. Too many characters in movies kill off the villain and learn nothing from it, but THIS ending was amazing. I doubt Orm/Ocean Master and Black Manta learned anything from the outcome, but Aquaman and Mera, as well as the Atlanteans/surface dwellers sure did, and so did the audience.

You're also right about not letting things get to me, I need to invoke the lessons I learned from the movie.
    Seen Mafex Aquaman action figure in the interwebs, looks nice than its JL version, check it out Mikey....

By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Well considering the fact that it was the weekend before Christmas, when people are out shopping, and the stiff competition it was facing at the BO it's still a massive accomplishment. In November, people were predicting it to loose money. It's now made over half a billion worldwide. WB is stoked and they should be.
    I agree.

Aquaman is an awesome movie (I saw it again yesterday...)

It almost seems that people don't want DC to succeed at the box office. Many of the criticisms that Aquaman has been given are common among the comic-movie genre and many a marvel movie has been guilty of the same criticism. I can't prove it (obviously), but I suspect that if this was the exact same movie - yet titled Namor, it would fare much better in the eyes of critics... sad.

I honestly don't know why anyone would come here and quote this... and it speaks volumes about the people if they actually agree with it.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I agree.

Aquaman is an awesome movie (I saw it again yesterday...)

It almost seems that people don't want DC to succeed at the box office. Many of the criticisms that Aquaman has been given are common among the comic-movie genre and many a marvel movie has been guilty of the same criticism. I can't prove it (obviously), but I suspect that if this was the exact same movie - yet titled Namor, it would fare much better in the eyes of critics... sad.

I honestly don't know why anyone would come here and quote this... and it speaks volumes about the people if they actually agree with it.

Aquaman is definitely a huge success and has been DC's biggest money earner, and one of 2018's biggest hits to date. Anyone who says otherwise clearly has no clue. It's absolutely the best movie I've seen in a long time, if not ever. I'm looking forward to Shazam as well, but I don't think anything will beat the Sea King's success.

Aquaman is definitely a huge success and has been DC's biggest money earner, and one of 2018's biggest hits to date. Anyone who says otherwise clearly has no clue.
    Well at $666 million worldwide through today, it just surpassed Justice League's total BO at $658 Million and it's just 2 million shy of beating Man Of Steel's total BO of $668 million. The $666 million Aquaman has made so far makes it the 9th highest film of 2018 after just over a week. Experts are predicting it to make over $900 million total which would make it the highest earning DCEU movie...even beating 2017's Wonder Woman. HA! HA! Remember though people it's not making any money.

Not too shabby for that little fish.

Well at $666 million worldwide through today, it just surpassed Justice League's total BO at $658 Million and it's just 2 million shy of beating Man Of Steel's total BO of $668 million. The $666 million Aquaman has made so far makes it the 9th highest film of 2018 after just over a week. Experts are predicting it to make over $900 million total which would make it the highest earning DCEU movie...even beating 2017's Wonder Woman. HA! HA! Remember though people it's not making any money.

Not too shabby for that little fish.
    I hope there will be a sequel, if any movie deserves to have an awesome sequel that rivals even the parent movie's box office success, it's Aquaman. I think an ideal sequel storyline would be Aquaman marrying Mera and having their son, thereby prompting Black Manta and even Orm coming back for revenge on the happy family. Of course, I don't want anything bad to happen to the little minnow, but it would echo the famously sad story from the comics.

Saw Aquaman on Christmas. Visually it is amazing. Story-wise, it is just ok. I definitely enjoyed Justice League and Wonder Woman more than this, but it's not a bad movie. Hopefully, the success of this movie will breathe new life into the DC movie franchise.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

I hope there will be a sequel...
    There will be. WB already confirmed that they were working on it back at the beginning of December once reviews came in from test audiences. Wan is already in discussions to direct again. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II confirmed during press for the movie that he had signed a multi-picture deal to play Black Manta. He hinted at possibly appearing in a JL film also...LOD?

As for the updated box office, Aquaman's new numbers put it at $748.8 Million WW. That puts it past Suicide Squad's total WW box office of $746 million and only behind B vs. S and Wonder Woman.

There will be. WB already confirmed that they were working on it back at the beginning of December once reviews came in from test audiences. Wan is already in discussions to direct again. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II confirmed during press for the movie that he had signed a multi-picture deal to play Black Manta. He hinted at possibly appearing in a JL film also...LOD?

As for the updated box office, Aquaman's new numbers put it at $748.8 Million WW. That puts it past Suicide Squad's total WW box office of $746 million and only behind B vs. S and Wonder Woman.
    That is awesome news indeed, I would love the sequel just as much as the original. Speaking of which, I assume the DVD will be released around April 2019, the average date for a DVD release is around four months after the cinematic release.

I saw Aquaman yesterday, and the theater was full. Too full if you ask me. My buddy and I had to sit in the front row and I hate that. Maybe I would have liked the movie better if I had a better seat.

****Potential Spoilers*****

Pros:

Jason was great as Aquaman. I loved his relationship with is father. Who wouldn't want a father like that?
    Cool Visuals
    Mera had cool effects

I loved seeing both Nicole and Dolph in the movie. I had no idea Dolph would play a part. I enjoy seeing him in anything. He's in better shape at 61 than most guys at any point in their lives.

Cons:

While watching the film, it felt far too much like Black Panther right down to the duel for the kingdom.
    Too much CGI

Sometimes it felt like I was looking at plastic fakery, especially with the scenes that were meant to make you drop your jaw while heading into Atlantis. It was overkill but this isn't the fault of just Aquaman, most movies lately have lavish scenes that are supposed to make you "ooh and ahh" whenever you arrive in magic place X. Some recent examples off the top of my head...Atlantis, Wakanda, Oz. As a result, all the scenes feel oddly familiar with only a few specifics to differentiate the films from one another. In short, certain parts felt recycled.

I also hate it when characters are CGI'ed while fighting. The first time I noticed this was in the river scene in The Hobbit with the elves jumping around fighting the Orcs. It looked fake, but then it got worse when Hela fought and defeated the army of Valhalla. That fight looked SUPER fake as you KNEW it wasn't Cate Blanchette but rather a CGI figure bounding around. In Aquaman it was Nicole Kidman who looked fake as she defeated the mercenaries who came to get her in the first act of the film. This, however, is a new formula used it most super hero or fantasy movies, so it's not necessarily Aquaman's fault. My problem is that there are some killer martial artists out there who don't need CGI help in most cases to look cool. I'd much rather see the real thing. Give me a good Ray Park, Donnie Yen or Michelle Yeo to watch fight, not a CGI figure.

Serious question: Why did some of the Atalantians need water suits to breathe on land, and yet Aquaman and Mera didn't? Aquaman's brother and mentor also seemed to breathe fine as well and didn't need to rely on a toilet--which was quite comical.

All in all, I'd give Aquman 7 out of 10, but another major problem in my mind is that they had to re-arrange Arthur's entire look to sell him to the audience. It doesn't bother me much since I've never been a major Aquaman fan, but for a purist, it would be upsetting.
    Last edited by Blue; December 31, 2018 at 10:31pm.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

I finally saw this over the weekend. It's a lot of fun. I can see why it has its detractors, I have since the first trailers with roaring sharks, but it's a fun ride just the same. I liked that both Orm and Black Manta had sympathetic sides and weren't just tedious baddies (and that they weren't really done by the end of the film). Well, I guess Orm might have been a little tedious, IDK. I actually liked the Power Ranger-y level of the costumes. I'm glad they embraced that. I am sure James Cameron would have done something different but this was mostly what I would have wanted from him if he'd made Aquaman. It's everything I thought a big Aquaman movie ought to be in the post-Peter David era, minus a hook hand. We've come a long way from the 60s cartoon I remember, but at least Manta was there with his voice, helmet, and cool manta ship. I'm sure I'd have loved it a million times more if I were 13 again, but it's still fun to watch (but then, I thought the same of John Carter and Gods of Egypt).

The moment with Nicole Kidman that strongly reminded me of a scene with Michelle Pfeiffer in Ant-Man and the Wasp was kind of funny since both of them were in Batman movies and both have aged amazingly well.

If I had one complaint it was that the Atlanteans end up as quite a lot of cannon fodder throughout the movie. Hollywood is always making soldiers too expendable, but in this case it seemed to dehumanize the whole kingdom that Aquaman is supposed to rule. I hope a sequel could fix that. I mean don't go overboard like the way Batman v Superman did to try and justify the excessive casualties in Man of Steel, but let the common Atlanteans have some heart and voice besides mindless hyped gladiator crowds and fighters that might as well be robots. We only really met the highborns who could breathe air, and everyone else was reduced to disposable effects. I feel like the commoner would have been pretty demoralized by Arthur's rise in this movie, with so many of their people dead just so that a new king could rule over them. I'd have liked to have seen their view of Arthur evolve from the jeers at the Ring of Fire. Valko and the mer princess were as close as we got to sympathetic non-lead Atlanteans but they were still from the nobility.

Also poor Djimon Hounsou. Did we not all know he was going to get skewered the minute he spoke? I knew Orm not killing Dolph earlier meant he would have to kill *someone* who tried to argue with him eventually. Also I guess they didn't want to give Djimon too many lines so we wouldn't notice he'll be returning as both Shazam and Korath in the next few months.

Also I had just rewatched Victor/Victoria the day before so it took me just a second to realize that was Julie Andrews. Holy crap! I don't think I'd have known if I hadn't read it first AND just heard her "manish" voice.
    Last edited by gbagok; January 1, 2019 at 08:23am.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I consider myself an Aquaman purist, I'm a member of The Aquaman Shrine and FOAM (Friends Of Aquaman), and I have a whole lot of love and respect for the movie and everything it tried to do in regard to visual effects, characterisations, and story. I still love all of Aquaman's animated forms, especially the Super Friends era, but the movie was pure pleasure for me and I give it 100%.

We saw it last night with Hermione’s best pal and my mother-in-law; we all loved it!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy