Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Official DC Shazam movie thread

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Also, as much as I LOOOOOVED Levi's performance... and the movie in general... They really didn't do a service to the Wisdom of Solomon. Not sure how they could have done that without ruining a lot of my other favorite parts of the show... but I would like to see ALL of his aspects showing up.
    This has historically been one of the greatest conundrums for the writers who pen Captain Marvel... on one hand, you have an altruistic boy who turns into a superman with all the powers of the gods - including the wisdom of Solomon... but, on the other hand, it's that very lack of wisdom and child-like attitude that help Captain Marvel stand apart from similar superheroes.

I much prefer the dichotomy between Billy Batson and Captain Marvel when they exhibit the other's demeanor... i.e. Billy the brave and Captain Marvel the inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Disagree. Dr. Sivana has historically been Shazam's main and most important villain.

Captain Marvel and Dr. Sivana were introduced together in 1939 and have a long and frequent history. Black Adam came around 6 years later, appeared just that one time in the Fawcett comics (and died!) and wasn't seen again until DC resurrected the character more than 30 years later in the 1970s.

Dr. Sivana is Captain Marvel's "Lex Luthor". Black Adam is closer to being his "Bizarro".
    I agree with this.

Black Adam may be Captain Marvel's most recognizable villain, but Dr. Sivana and even Mr. Mind are much more prominent arch-nemeses.

And this contrast has worked so well for so long because it resembles the brain vs. brawn, or experience vs. innocence that create the best stories.... not just a slug-fest between two super-powered beings.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Regarding the Solomon angle... One of my favorite portrayals of Captain Marvel was in the Justice League cartoon. He still had the wonder of a young kid, but could also drop some Wisdom of Solomon nuggets on you. He was the more rational one as the big Superman fight started and then he schooled the JL at the end.

Great episode!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Disagree. Dr. Sivana has historically been Shazam's main and most important villain.

Captain Marvel and Dr. Sivana were introduced together in 1939 and have a long and frequent history. Black Adam came around 6 years later, appeared just that one time in the Fawcett comics (and died!) and wasn't seen again until DC resurrected the character more than 30 years later in the 1970s.

Dr. Sivana is Captain Marvel's "Lex Luthor". Black Adam is closer to being his "Bizarro".

Yeah, that's probably true. At least originally. Now days Sivana hasn't had a solid story in decades... Lex has stolen all his thunder...

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

Black Adam may be Captain Marvel's most recognizable villain, but Dr. Sivana and even Mr. Mind are much more prominent arch-nemeses.

And this contrast has worked so well for so long because it resembles the brain vs. brawn, or experience vs. innocence that create the best stories.... not just a slug-fest between two super-powered beings.
    This is probably a better way to phrase it. When you look at the video games, toys, books and cartoons... Black Adam has moved up to the #1 spot. He's more marketable, he's more 'fun'... He's spun off into his own story and ughhh… become 'anti-hero'. Personally I like him best as a Superman foil... There's just something about a character who is just as powerful as Superman and can literally kick his tail.... and is NOT kryptonian. That same but different really works well there. But I still think of him as the 'core' SHAZAM villain.

Though I do admit a soft spot for Mr. Mind... That guy is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah, that's probably true. At least originally. Now days Sivana hasn't had a solid story in decades... Lex has stolen all his thunder...

This is probably a better way to phrase it. When you look at the video games, toys, books and cartoons... Black Adam has moved up to the #1 spot. He's more marketable, he's more 'fun'... He's spun off into his own story and ughhh… become 'anti-hero'. Personally I like him best as a Superman foil... There's just something about a character who is just as powerful as Superman and can literally kick his tail.... and is NOT kryptonian. That same but different really works well there. But I still think of him as the 'core' SHAZAM villain.

Though I do admit a soft spot for Mr. Mind... That guy is awesome.
    I love Black Adam, but I think his story is just too much to pack into a Shazam origin story. I think you need to establish Shazam on his own with a new audience before you can start looking at "what would happen if the powers corrupted the host?"

There is just too much depth that is needed for the character to do two origin stories. And if you water him down, you just end up with a tired "evil doppelganger of the hero" story without any of the needed nuance. And without context it comes off even worse as it boils down to American Shazam = good, middle-eastern Shazam = bad.

I love Black Adam, but I think his story is just too much to pack into a Shazam origin story. I think you need to establish Shazam on his own with a new audience before you can start looking at "what would happen if the powers corrupted the host?"

There is just too much depth that is needed for the character to do two origin stories. And if you water him down, you just end up with a tired "evil doppelganger of the hero" story without any of the needed nuance. And without context it comes off even worse as it boils down to American Shazam = good, middle-eastern Shazam = bad.
    I'm just throwing this out there but as a very casual fan, I didn't realize that Sivana wasn't Black Adam till nearly the end of the movie. I even found myself, during the movie, trying to remember the boy's name from the early scene in the movie (I have a horrible auditory memory). I tricked myself into thinking it was "Adam" for a bit. And even once I KNEW he wasn't supposed to be Black Adam I assumed (because of his powers) that he was supposed to be a version of Black Adam.

I imagine I'm not the only one.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    I'm not sure the world is ready for Georgia and Sivana Jr.

But you'd could use them, Magnificus and Beautia in a sequel. I could see them all working to position Black Adam and Billy against each other, separating the Marvel Family (Shazam Family?), etc.
    Like I said Mark Strong was great but he should have been more of a Luthor to Shazam instead of a Black Adam typed super villain...

For a cool and quick mini-lesson on Captain Marvel, the uninitiated should watch:

Batman the Brave and the Bold Season 2, episode 10 - this is an awesome episode of one of my all-time favorite shows.

Also, for an excellent read, check out:

Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil - this is an incredible book written and illustrated by Jeff Smith... the very same guy who brought us Bone!!

For a cool and quick mini-lesson on Captain Marvel, the uninitiated should watch:

Batman the Brave and the Bold Season 2, episode 10 - this is an awesome episode of one of my all-time favorite shows.

Also, for an excellent read, check out:

Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil - this is an incredible book written and illustrated by Jeff Smith... the very same guy who brought us Bone!!
    MSOE is so, so, so, so good.

I just saw the movie, and as a man-child that collects action figures, watches super hero cartoons, and wore a Shazam shirt to the theater tonight, I thought it was a little too kiddie. As a pure kid's movie, sure, it was pretty dang good. But this was no where near the level of Wonder Woman or Aquaman. Different genres almost. While you could argue that all super hero movies are geared toward kids, I think most of them in the recent decade ride the line much better.

Really good for the kiddos, but so-so for this man-child. (And I am a DC fanboy through and through.)

MSOE is so, so, so, so good.
    Absolutely agree.

This is probably one of the best Captain Marvel limited series in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    I just saw the movie, and as a man-child that collects action figures, watches super hero cartoons, and wore a Shazam shirt to the theater tonight, I thought it was a little too kiddie. As a pure kid's movie, sure, it was pretty dang good. But this was no where near the level of Wonder Woman or Aquaman. Different genres almost. While you could argue that all super hero movies are geared toward kids, I think most of them in the recent decade ride the line much better.

Really good for the kiddos, but so-so for this man-child. (And I am a DC fanboy through and through.)
    I suppose so....

...if you take out the horrific car accident at the beginning, the innocent board members being flung from a 30-story building by demons, a junkie mom who willingly abandons her child, and a son letting his father get mutilated by a nightmarish beast...

... then I guess it could be "kiddie."

Absolutely agree.

This is probably one of the best Captain Marvel limited series in recent memory.

I suppose so....

...if you take out the horrific car accident at the beginning, the innocent board members being flung from a 30-story building by demons, a junkie mom who willingly abandons her child, and a son letting his father get mutilated by a nightmarish beast...

... then I guess it could be "kiddie."
    And the strip club! haha. Maybe more tweenie. The sins weren't any scarier than stuff from the Ghostbuster cartoon back in the day. They gave a Mumm-ra spirits of evil vibe, too.

The humor, tone, etc. was just more Nickelodeon/Sky High/Power Rangers -ish.

Again, not bad for what it was. I just felt I should have had a kid (or tween) with me watching.

I really enjoyed it, very fun blast.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I just discovered that Shazam will be released on DVD/Blu-Ray on July 17. That's awesome, and earlier than I expected!

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...3WVEVKZB&psc=1
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

I feel like the only person who didn't like Jeff Smith's MSOE. Maybe I'll re-read it someday if I still have it, but I recall it being a big disappointed for me.

I've watched it this past weekend and I thought was a true funny film. It has a mix between Big and Strnagers Things vibe but mainly it is funny. I found some sort of displacement between young Billy Batson and Shazam, but I think it is ok. I wish it has good box office revenue and I would like it to be more action oriented in a potential sequel and yes, I'd like to see Mr Mind to develop an evil plan; although, everything indicates that shall be a match between Black Adam and Cap Marvel
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Shazam! held the number 1 spot for the second weekend with the bombing of Hellboy:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...es-12m-1201919

"New Line and DC's Shazam! easily stayed No. 1 in its second outing, earning $25.1 million from 4,306 theaters and sending rival superhero pic Hellboy up in flames.

Shazam! fell a respectable 53 percent, underscoring its appeal among kids and families. The pic's 10-day domestic tally stands at $94.9 million. Overseas, it also topped the chart with $35.9 million for $258.8 million globally. China led internationally with $40.4 million, followed by the U.K. ($11.7 million) and Mexico ($10.1 million)."

Unfortunately the movie's second weekend box office was not so good in the major market of China:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...izzles-1202038

"Hong Kong crime thriller P Storm continued to make it rain at China's box office over the weekend, while DC's family-friendly superhero flick Shazam! sputtered.

P Storm, the wince-inducing title exerting little deterrence, earned $18.5 million in its second frame, taking its total to a healthy $89.4 million, according to data from Artisan Gateway.

Shazam! plummeted 85 percent, meanwhile, reflecting its lukewarm local word-of-mouth. The film added just $4.8 million for a $40.4 million total. Still, China remains the film's second-biggest international market by far, ahead of the U.K. ($11.7 million) and Mexico ($10.1 million). The pic's 10-day North American tally was $94.9 million, for a worldwide total of $258.8 million.

Next weekend will bring the release of a slew of local titles, as the market at large revs up for the opening of Avengers: End Game on April 24."

Shazam! will probably end up with a total box office of around $300 million when it's all said and done and I honestly don't know how much of a profit that will leave given the film's budget of $100 million and the theater's cut (both domestically and internationally)...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

i saw it, was funny. a bit too long though, they could have cut out about 15 min from the intro of the film or in between the intro
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!