Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funko Savage World

I'm not a Zorn or Mortal Kombat follower but I really love the Savage World figures: I've collected them all and preordered all the new announcements! Sure wish Funko had the MOTU licence! Ball jointed hips for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisLasek View Post
    If this sells enough that they release the second wave, we will have the core thundercats (minus the kittens and Snarf) as Cheetara, Tygra, Jackalman, and Monkian are all sculpted (we saw them at TF) they just decided to split them into 2 waves!

Also to me they fit well with MOTU. I have Kitana from Mortal Kombat and Zorn from Son of Zorn and think thy look pretty cool with them 13977.
    Yeah, I think that the core T'Cats will definitely be released. Many online stores have them up for pre-order and they will be available through brick-and-mortar stores, like Target, once released. So, I have a good feeling that these will sell better than expected.

I just can't wait to see the second wave of Mortal Kombat figures!

Quote Originally Posted by toohunky View Post
    I'm not a Zorn or Mortal Kombat follower but I really love the Savage World figures: I've collected them all and preordered all the new announcements! Sure wish Funko had the MOTU licence! Ball jointed hips for the win!
    Well said!

It would have been awesome if Funko acquired the rights to do the vintage-styled MotU figures... they would be a higher quality and cost less.

Nevertheless, the MotU S7 figures seem to blend well with the Savage World lines, so that just bolsters the ranks of these nostalgic, chunky little guys!

We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the NEW ADVENTURES lineup !!!

For anyone interested there is a seller on eBay by the name of zweito8 who is selling all five Horror Savage World figures carded for $19.99 Plus $5.00 shipping. I messaged him to make sure the listing was correct and he said it was...$24.99 for all five.

Widget
    I’m curious to see what else they do in the horror or DC vein as adapted properties compared to the straight fantasy stuff.

Straight fantasy might mean some non-Amazon exclusive DC stuff that isn’t adapted. Warlord, Arak, Hercules, and Deimos as more comics accurate versions of the Remco characters. Amethyst would be a good fifth one. New Gods would also be great as a fairly straight adaptation and they could double dip on the ones like Orion and Kalibak who had 80s toy designs. 80s toy Orion had a Man-E-Faces look.

Justice League Dark might also have a few gems. Demon, Zauriel, Swamp Thing, Zatanna, Wonder Woman. All have magic/fantasy/warrior themes. Constantine would be the odd one out.

These all work as “straight” takes, no Primal Age adaptation needed.

Of course a Marvel style Primal Age would be fun.

I don’t know if Hasbro would sign on for Joe or TFs. If they DID, it would be because they were too busy with other formats to take the risk on 80s niche takes. But Visionaries would be a great option.

But following the Horror approach, Funko could adapt things like it did for Pops. Breaking Bad, Star Trek, lots of options there. I doubt Playmates would want them doing TMNT but Nickelodeon has done a lot of side licensing. It might be neat to borrow from the first Playmates wave which had MOTU-like qualities. The TMNT have been barbarians, knights, samurai — but never quite the Conan riff we had with MOTU.

Star Trek amuses me a lot though to think about precisely because of how it both does and doesn’t fit. Sulu with his fencing sword fits. TOS was full of medieval gladiator stuff you could use as a baseline. Kirk and Spock with Vulcan Lirpas. Kirk had about 5 gladiator looks you could mix. Spock and McCoy used broadswords and shields. Worf is a good fit too. Picard is such a bad fit I’d want to see it and I imagine Data with exposed steampunk bits. I think the key to Star Trek is to get the division color in there prominently and the Starfleet badge but to win over the purists a little by going through all of a character’s melee weapons and one off fighter looks to create a figure that’s a multi-reference. Once you remind people how often Kirk was shirtless in straps and harnesses and how many melee weapons he used, it becomes easier to envision a He-Man Kirk.

Warcraft would be a decent fit. I had zero interest in movie toys or deluxe (read: more expensive style) toys but I’d be intrigued by, say, Arthas, Sylvanas, Illidan, Thrall, and Magni Bronzebeard. The WCIII and WOW art style is an easy adaptation.

COBRALA, I absolutely love the way you think!! Your 'Savage' STAR TREK idea is very, very creative, and it makes perfect sense for this line. I would totally buy those!!

It would be so awesome if WARLORD, ARAK, HERCULES, ( plus Stalker and maybe Beowulf ) turned up, too. Total dream come true!

WORLD of WARCRAFT goes without saying. If that happened, I might have to sell a kidney.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; October 9, 2018 at 06:04pm.
    Odd Man Out

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    COBRALA, I absolutely love the way you think!! Your 'Savage' STAR TREK idea is very, very creative, and it makes perfect sense for this line. I would totally buy those!!

It would be so awesome if WARLORD, ARAK, HERCULES, ( plus Stalker and maybe Beowulf ) turned up, too. Total dream come true!

WORLD of WARCRAFT goes without saying. If that happened, I might have to sell a kidney.
    Since Funko’s Superman design has a mace hand, I think we could get a new Machiste from that tooling. The comics character is most well known for his mace hand and the 80s figure had two hands for some reason. I think one perk of redoing the Remco figures aside from them being collectable is to fix the imperfections and make more appealing re-dos.

Amethyst is, like I say, an easy addition.

Kirby’s Atlas as well.

Oh! I believe DC owns the never-made Wonder Woman and the Star Riders She-Ra competitor. As I recall, they intro’d them to continuity. I’d at a minimum buy a Teela-style figure of that WW design.

Atomic Knight based on his unproduced Super Powers costume. That property has riding Dalmatian mounts in the comics which would be an easy shared tooling with Krypto as a mount.

not crazy about these at all, and the dc ones look even worse.
    I love the format for MOTU because its what made it unique, same goes for the reaction toys- bleh,

Masters are unique in that size scale, anything else...meh.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    For anyone interested there is a seller on eBay by the name of zweito8 who is selling all five Horror Savage World figures carded for $19.99 Plus $5.00 shipping. I messaged him to make sure the listing was correct and he said it was...$24.99 for all five.
    He's got 'em at $39.99 now...

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    not crazy about these at all, and the dc ones look even worse.
    I love the format for MOTU because its what made it unique, same goes for the reaction toys- bleh,

Masters are unique in that size scale, anything else...meh.
    Did you play with Super Powers, G.I.Joe, Thundercats, and He-Man toys as a kid? I ended up spending fifteen solid minutes every time explaining their scale differences. It was easier and cheaper to fill out a roster with Remco figures or Sunlords.

And, man, those Funko figures can be had for $5-12 whereas the Vintage MOTU from Super7 cost $20 and will likely never cost less than $20 even loose.

So, for me, not only does this get He-Man together with the whole toybox like I always wanted but it makes me say, “Would you rather have Lion-O and Panthro or Man-at-Arms?”

Outside of He-Man and Skeletor (and maybe She-Ra and Hordak and MAYBE Trap Jaw and Tri-Clops and Sorceress and Battlecat and Faker and Teela and Man-at-Arms), there is no single MOTU character I wouldn’t rather have at He-Man’s side than ANY two Thundercats or Justice Leaguers or Ninja Turtles or Warlord characters or characters from Cheers or ALF hulked out and wearing furry loinclothes.

If you offered me a choice between ONE Mer-Man and a set of two figures including a hulked out versions of a Koopa Troopa and Hefty Smurf in MOTU style, I’d rather stand He-Man with the turtle and the smurf.

This line definitely is not for everybody....but does everything have to be? I would rather have a huge selection of toys coming out to choose from than just X number of mainstream lines. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

On top of that, it's exciting to see a new line of very unique figures that are under 20 bucks a piece. I would love to see that trend continue.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; October 11, 2018 at 08:42pm.
    Odd Man Out

Serving the Universe DennyCrane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    He's got 'em at $39.99 now...
    A bit more believable. If that original price is honored, I'd be surprised. More likely it's another HK Con Job with Ebay left holding the bag.

Heroic Warrior
    I want Savage World Game of Thrones figures. Then He-Man and Conan can join forces with Jon Snow and Danerys.

Widget
    I feel like WB cooperating on Primal Age probably opens the door for Mighty Mightor, Thundarr, Shazzan, Herculoids, Galtar, and Space Ghost as well as maybe a DC line with, say, The Demon, Warlord, and some other DC barbarians, especially ones featured in the collectible Remco line.

Bravestarr is still owned by Dreamworks, right? That would be a real shot across the bow as a competing line as my hunch would be that 5.5” Filmation Bravestarr figures would rank higher on the list for collectors of Super 7’s vintage Filmation than a lot of the figures they’d have planned beyond Teela and Man-at-Arms.

There's just so, so much potential here! I would love to see Thundarr, Bravestarr, and many others.

Plus, as the whole "SuperHero" thing continues to rise in popularity, I lean more and more toward Fantasy and Sword & Sorcery properties.
    Odd Man Out

Widget
    There's just so, so much potential here! I would love to see Thundarr, Bravestarr, and many others.

Plus, as the whole "SuperHero" thing continues to rise in popularity, I lean more and more toward Fantasy and Sword & Sorcery properties.
    Somebody elsewhere mentioned Blackstar.

Super7 is a hardworking, super small team (my understanding is fewer than 15 employees) so I don’t think they’d get around to some of the Filmation stuff this decade, especially with Blackstar and Bravestarr rights being separate and a large chunk of the other barbarian properties (Warlord, Thundarr, Mighty Mightor) being held by WB and other properties like Crystar, Shanna the She-Devil, etc. being Marvel/Disney properties.

I can see Savage World AT LEAST getting a foothold into the DC/Hanna Barbara properties. My sense is that Hasbro largely doesn’t want to touch the jungle/barbarian types.

So far, we have:

Primal Age (DC, Warner Bros.)
    Thundercats (Warner Bros.)
    Friday the Thirteenth (Warner Bros.)
    Nightmare on Elm Street (Warner Bros.)
    Mortal Kombat (Warner Bros.)

Conan, Hellraiser III, Halloween H2O, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are the non-WB figures in the line.

WB owns a ton of barbarian cartoons and comics. Notably all the Hanna Barbera ones.

But you also have the other filmation properties:

Blackstar (Classics Media, I think? I think Dreamworks picked it up.)
    Bravestarr (Purchased by Dreamworks last I heard).
    Isis (Another WB property).
    Flash Gordon, Phantom (King features: who licenses to EVERYBODY)
    Ghostbusters (The one with the monkey, predates the Ramis/Akroyd/Murray movie. Dreamworks owns it.)

The bulk of these are WB (which is what Savage World is, 90%) or Dreamworks (who Funko licenses with).

I think it’s good for MOTU from two directions.

Competition keeps Super7 on their toes.

Companion lines can increase demand for Super7 product.

Getting the Thundercats vintage figures for just under $10 a piece convinced me to get the Super7 vintage He-Man, She-Ra, and Skeletor. I balked initially at $20 each for those but knowing I’d be filling a shelf with DC, Thundercats, and Mortal Kombat (I payed $5 a piece for the MK figures) meant I knew I had to get a new He-Man and Skeletor.

Funko doing the other Filmation stuff would likely get me in on Man-at-Arms, Teela, and a hypothetical vintage filmation Battlecat.

Wow!! You have so many great ideas! I hadn't even thought of The Phantom and Flash Gordon. They would be awesome! John Carter of Mars would fit in seamlessly, too.
    Odd Man Out

Wow!! You have so many great ideas! I hadn't even thought of The Phantom and Flash Gordon. They would be awesome! John Carter of Mars would fit in seamlessly, too.
    I would be ALL OVER THIS!

Actually, any of the Amazing Heroes characters (licensed by Fresh Monkey Fiction, ATM) would fit right in.

I would also like to see Funko get the rights to Super Naturals and Visionaries as they would be a perfect fit to the Savage World.

And, since we will see a Conan line, I would love to see Kull the Conqueror added in as well as the world of Willow! All would go well with the Savage World theme.

Not sure they would translate as well as Thundercats, but I would love to see Silverhawks, and Tigersharks figures as well in this line.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by haled75 View Post
    Not sure they would translate as well as Thundercats, but I would love to see Silverhawks, and Tigersharks figures as well in this line.
    Not sure why but Tigerhawks brought Bionic Six to mind. Their toys were LJN as well, I think.

Now, THERE was a property that was a knock off of the Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Six Million Dollar Man. And I don't care. It had some really disturbing undertones with the parents presumably adopting kids to make cyborgs out of them. And I don't care. They literally could have just kept the franchise going for 30 years as a comic book and I think I'd have followed it. They had chemistry and team dynamics down which is INCREDIBLE as it's a fairly large team to do a TV show about.

And, of course, Alan Oppenheimer, Skeletor himself, was the dad.

I'd suggest that but I'm not sure I've met anybody else who gets as nostalgic for that as I do. That and COPS/Cyber-COPS are up there with MOTU, Joe, and Transformers for me. But aside from a few G.I.Joe references to COPS on file cards, Hasbro didn't even look like they were eyeing COPs for their cinematic universe.

Bionic Six had fairly uniform body types so I think they could be done in a retro line like this. I think Reaction would be too puny for them. But MOTU also feels like too much. I feel like what they need is a proper 4.5" Super Powers style release. Those Super Powers were definitely a bigger scale than the smaller Galoob/Kenner thing Reaction homages.

Frankly, that midrange scale (also used for ToyBiz Batman '89 and Marvel Super-Heroes and the Batman Animated/JLU figures) is something I get more nostalgic for and what I'd rather see MOTU done in than the Reaction style. That midrange physique would work for Filmation He-Man and Lion-O would look undistorted in it. Thing is, you're actually getting into knees, action features,cloth accessories, and real engineering in that scale so I understand nostalgia lines avoiding it.

By contrast, Savage World (or Reaction or Amazing Heroes) is really just a similar amount of effort to a Funko Pop to design (particularly with 3D sculpting). More plastic, sure, but design-wise it's not a huge leap from making collectible vinyls with 1 POA to doing deformation figures with 5-6 POA.