Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay more for better quality from Super7?

Four Horsemen Mythic Legions are the same price and way better quality.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak04 View Post
    100% Agree with this statement! S7 needs to stick to ReAction figures. Nothing else, they can’t handle it. Stick with what you are good at and leave the quality to bigger companies. #MOTUMattel
    +1 for me
    Could not agree more.
    Out of their depth now.

It's pretty obvious most of us are fed up.

Good run S7 but all things come to an end.

I'm waiting to receive my wave 1 and 2 of MOTU vintage and this will dictate what I do next.
    So far, it is not looking good which is a real shame as I was so excited about supporting a smaller company doing great products for the fans. However it seems Brian & crew are more interested in cashing in rather than delivering.
    Last edited by Finn; November 30, 2018 at 01:52pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    Mattels ship has basically sunk. So sad too. It's like they don't even know what they're doing over there. I just found out that they didn't even replace Scott when he left. Literally no one took over for his position and that's when things got sent over to Super 7. Why would you not replace him? I get no one would do what he did to the scale that he did it but they never even replaced his position which means the marketing and leg work went to someone else who probably already had a lot on their plate. Online sales are a hard business and it leaves so many things to go wrong. They should just put these back in stores but apparently the cost is not there. I don't know...Hasbro finds a way to do it.
    I think Mattel is trouble, honestly. I'm not bashing their management. I don't think there's one key mistake. I think they're just in a rough spot and I don't mean this as a doom post.

Discontinuing online sales is a red flag.

So is their difficulty in getting DC Multiverse non-movie figures released and, when they get released, carried anywhere. And the waves shrinking dramatically from plans, down to 4 figure waves, which can't make the economics good for Build-A-Figures. If you planned on splitting a BAF across 8 figures and you release it in 4 figures without an MSRP increase, that reads to me like a "going out of business" move.

So is going to conventions with displays full of product that you have no plans for like Monster High Evil-Lyn and Slime Pit He-Man. What that says to me is that they have stuff they'd like to do but no investor money or retail support and they're trying to drum up social media interest to convince retailers and investors to support them. It's COOL when your display booth has a few concept figures that might get displayed if people are interested. When that's YOUR WHOLE DISPLAY (if you count a few waves of likely retail product with no hard release date) then that's a cry for help.

There will ALWAYS be a Barbie and Hot Wheels as long as we're alive, even if they become super-niche or transition to video game properties. And I think somebody will always use the name "Mattel" but it may end up being like Atari, where it goes through different owners or gets licensed out to slap on products sold at Cracker Barrel gift shops. Or the Horsemen or Super7 will buy the name.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    No I wouldn't pay more for better quality, we pay enough as it is and the quality should be there already.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Heroic Warrior
    Man, are American factories that expensive to use? At least in the U.S. there is a right to sue or leverage for a factory to redo the work.

And no, heck no- we should not have to pay extra if other toy companies who use Chinese factories are smooth.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    Man, are American factories that expensive to use? At least in the U.S. there is a right to sue or leverage for a factory to redo the work.

And no, heck no- we should not have to pay extra if other toy companies who use Chinese factories are smooth.
    I know with printing, you’re looking at 5x the cost to do it in the U.S. unless you have a run of 10-20k units or higher.

Quality requires either scale or exorbitant prices.

There’s a reason boutique 5.5 designers in the U.S. charge $80-250 a figure and it isn’t because they’re getting rich.

Super7 needs big retail commitments to even have a SHOT at higher quality. That doesn’t GUARANTEE higher quality. (Savage World was great until Thundercats and Primal Age, barring parts falling off; they at least weren’t damaged. But even that didn’t guarantee consistent quality.)

I’d PERSONALLY say the gold standard for build quality in toys right now would be Hasbro’s Marvel Legends, Transformers, Playmates’ TMNT. Those have huge runs.

IMHO, Funko and S7 should just consider putting their figures’ legs on hinge joints unless they can get partnership with Target and Walmart on toy aisle placements.

I THINK Funko’s first line to really do the numbers was Primal Age and the factory screwed them by gangmolding the crotch connector pieces with soft and translucent plastic to save costs, which the protos didn’t do and weren’t designed for. We’ll see if the Target release which is a totally different production run improves.

But if you could release MOTU vintage style figures at a reasonable price and consistent quality without a bigbox commitment, Mattel would have done it.

Part of the reason S7 can release such crazy products is because it would take a crazy fan mentality to attempt what they do. The numbers for hitting the pricepoint, quality, and level of demand they aim for have been dismissed by professionals. That’s essentially what their mission statement about making the toys that nobody else will means. They are aiming for some mix of pricepoint, quality, and anticipated demand that CAREER PROFESSIONALS said was impossible. It’s probably a miracle every time sonething S7 does works — and a testament to their fan blindness when the quality or demand is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkingfandom79 View Post
    I just heard about the no vac metal on He-Ro, this is very disappointing, it seems between Eldor's lack of Holograms and now this news we are paying for lack luster figures with no bells or whistles, if Super7 rased the price by another five to ten dollars and gave us near perfect replicas of the original figures would you pay? Also if these figures are not going to be accurate to the originals should we be getting vintage style versions of He-Ro's sword and Eldor's staff included with these figures?
    Vac metal is horrible for collectibles, because it ages badly. I'm glad it's not being used, it flakes and rubs off over time, and Mattel tried to avoid it in their Classics line for that reason. If you want a figure that's going to last, then no vac metal. I'd pay extra just for it to never be used frankly. I'd gladly pay more though if it meant there'd never be QC problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soothe777 View Post
    Are they based on licensed characters? Super7 is licensing Motu from Mattel correct?

Heroic Warrior
    Super 7 ain't qualified for quality. You got them mixed up with mattel.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

No I wouldn’t pay more. The figures are overpriced as is and honestly I don’t see the quality being that much better. They can’t even do the 5.5” without quality issues. They should just make non poseable muscle figures.

This whole adult collector toy industry makes me crazy. It was so much simpler when the shelves were stocked to the bone back in the 80's. I think technology, while good in many ways has also taken the joyful spirit out of collecting. I've been collecting for 30 years so I would know.

Quote Originally Posted by palazzolor View Post
    this whole adult collector toy industry makes me crazy. It was so much simpler when the shelves were stocked to the bone back in the 80's. I think technology, while good in many ways has also taken the joyful spirit out of collecting. I've been collecting for 30 years so i would know.
    amen!!!!!!!!
    GIMME TOYS!-

I won't pay more (which is already toooo much for filmation figures with less sculpt, paint apps and detail) to Super7 to give me product they show. And should be delivered as such. I really think the shiny plastic is horrible and the unpainted, glossy, wonky eyed females look terrible. I'm actually done supporting them after this upcoming wave. Do better with these figures or get out of the game. For 40+ each tax shipping I expect exactly what they show at cons. no more, no less.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Soothe777 View Post
    Very true. But ML relies on heavy heavy reuse of new parts and existing parts. I guess one could make the counter point that we get 20+ figures in a wave from ML too.

Seeing as we in Europe are already paying €60 per figure, I don’t think it would be okay for the prices to go up. (But clearly yes, I’m willing to pay more than the $35 per figure, but not if that translates to a _€75-80 figure after shipping/import)

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Very true. But ML relies on heavy heavy reuse of new parts and existing parts. I guess one could make the counter point that we get 20+ figures in a wave from ML too.
    4H also doesn't have to pay licensing fees to Mattel ^^

Heroic Warrior AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    Seeing as we in Europe are already paying €60 per figure, I don’t think it would be okay for the prices to go up. (But clearly yes, I’m willing to pay more than the $35 per figure, but not if that translates to a _€75-80 figure after shipping/import)
    It sounds like the prices might be going up after this year anyway. There was a post in the NA thread about it.

awesome. Then finally count me out of this because the majority of the characters offered at this point are ancillary.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    I won't pay more (which is already toooo much for filmation figures with less sculpt, paint apps and detail) to Super7 to give me product they show. And should be delivered as such. I really think the shiny plastic is horrible and the unpainted, glossy, wonky eyed females look terrible. I'm actually done supporting them after this upcoming wave. Do better with these figures or get out of the game. For 40+ each tax shipping I expect exactly what they show at cons. no more, no less.
    Agreed..

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Good. I like what I'm seeing. I come back to this thread every now and then just to see if anyone WOULD pay more for better quality. I hope I never see anyone post that they would.

Serving the Universe DennyCrane's Avatar
    I think the ReAction figures are looking better this year sculpt-wise. But no they shouldn't charge more, and I believe Mezco will give them some competition next year, provided the price point is not too severe.
    Shop DC Collectibles for Pop Culture Entertainment -
    Hot Toys, Action Figures, Game & Hobby, Comic Book, Retro / Vintage & More!
    http://DCCollect.com • #24Tuesday • Free Shipping • More!

Get Social for the latest news and reviews, product updates and sale announcements:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Pinterest

Heroic Warrior
    How about they give us the quality that we’re paying for first

Heroic Warrior
    It's always tough to answer, because it depends what that means. How much more? What are the improvements? I mean would I pay $40 to have it made out of the Mattel plastic and have good paint apps, straight eyes, painted skin, etc? Yeah I suppose so. Would I pay $50? Not unless it came with a ton of extra stuff I don't currently get.

Super 7 is actually very cost sensitive, which is why they are the lower quality. They make them at a factory that can get them to this price, and they aren't as good as a factory that would charge more. This is basically as good as this factory is going to get it. So the solutions are acceptance, pay more for a different factory, or sell way more units to get the cost down at a better factory.

It's a very niche line that has already made a ton of product, so it's a tough situation.

I would pay more for better quality for only a few select figures. Actually, with what they cost now I would only buy a few select figures. But with Super 7's abysmal quality (or should I say lack thereof), I just can't bring myself to give them any of my money. If the figures were of good quality, I would gladly pay more and buy at least a few of their figures that I wanted.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Another solution for those that are unhappy with S7 is collecting The Loyal Subjects line. Cheaper, cartoony looking (so likeness isn’t an issue) and incredibly fun to collect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mizterfish View Post
    Another solution for those that are unhappy with S7 is collecting The Loyal Subjects line. Cheaper, cartoony looking (so likeness isn’t an issue) and incredibly fun to collect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those are awesome and too expensive too. At least in wave 2 most of them aren't blind boxed. The days of collecting action figures for a reasonable price, like they used to be, are long gone.