Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Man Toys - The JCPenney Christmas Catalogs 1982-86

He-Man Toys - The JCPenney Christmas Catalogs 1982-86

For your nostalgic enjoyment, here are select pages scanned from my personal collection of JCPenney Christmas Catalogs (and my lone 1982 Sears catalog). Enjoy.

1982 JCPenney p517.jpg1982 Sears p608-609.jpg

1983 JCPenney p502.jpg1983 JCPenney p522-523.jpg1983 JCPenney p545.jpg

1984 JCPenney p451.jpg1984 JCPenney p486-487.jpg1984 JCPenney p555.jpg

1985 JCPenney p348.jpg1985 JCPenney p387.jpg1985 JCPenney p406.jpg1985 JCPenney p414-415.jpg1985 JCPenney p416.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MOTU FAN since 1982

1986 JCPenney p353.jpg1986 JCPenney p405.jpg1986 JCPenney p428-429.jpg1986 JCPenney p482.jpg

Sadly, I did not find any MOTU or POP products in the 1987 JCPenney Christmas Catalog.
    MOTU FAN since 1982

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Thanks, I always enjoy looking at these old catalog pages.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Yeah, thanks for posting these scans!

Thanks a lot.

Interesting, on the 1982 catalog there is a Prototype Teela that I never seen before.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    That takes me back to being a kid and making out my Christmas list! Thanks for posting these!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Thanks a lot.

Interesting, on the 1982 catalog there is a Prototype Teela that I never seen before.
    Totally missed that...she has white boot tops and white bracelets!

I really like the design and orange & blue color scheme of the Attak Trak model in the last '83 picture and on the box. Apparently though it was actually red & blue (or reversed blue & red) used for the item itself.

You gotta love those 1980s prices.

Love this, thank you so much for sharing!

Heroic Warrior
    I have been collecting for many years and I've never seen that Table and Chairs set before. Wish there was a better image of the top.

Since these catalogs featured an assortment of MOTU products, from slippers & sleeping bags to bikes & books, here are a few more scans - just about everything I could find.

1983 JCPenney
    1983 JCPenney p316.jpg1983 JCPenney p487.jpg

1984 JCPenney
    1984 JCPenney p474.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Love, love, love that Road Ripper Mighty Cycle from 1985!

1985 JCPenney
    1985 JCPenney p57.jpg1985 JCPenney p471.jpg1985 JCPenney p490.jpg
    MOTU FAN since 1982

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    That yellow 1985 Masters of the Universe raincoat looks like something Super7 should recreate!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Thanks once again for sharing these, rmhart!

These are wonderful!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

It's my pleasure! In the days before the internet, browsing through these mail-order catalogs was the next best thing to visiting the toy store. I was surprised to find MOTU completely absent from the 1987 JCPenney catalog. Despite the release of a feature-length film that year, its popularity had evidently run its course by late '87.
    Last edited by rmhart; September 9, 2018 at 08:57pm.
    MOTU FAN since 1982

rmhart was nice enough to share some really high resolution scans of these pages, which I've included in the following blog post:

https://battleram.wordpress.com/2018...ogs-1982-1986/

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    rmhart was nice enough to share some really high resolution scans of these pages, which I've included in the following blog post:

Great stuff.

Also noticed that with Man-E-Faces, during the years they keep switching him from normal-face to robot-face. But never a monster-face in these photos..
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Great stuff.

Also noticed that with Man-E-Faces, during the years they keep switching him from normal-face to robot-face. But never a monster-face in these photos..
    Monster face didn't get nearly enough love

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post

I've been a huge fan of the Battle Ram blog since 2015. Thank you so much for including these scans! Let's hope there are fans out there with a full assortment of Sears or Montgomery Ward catalogs!
    MOTU FAN since 1982

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    WOW rm and lich, thank you guys so much for sharing these (rm for sharing them here, and lich for putting them large on your blog [and rm for granting permission] ). God I miss childhood...that's why I have so many collectibles/memorabilia from my '80s childhood in my bedroom. :-)

Man those catalogs were AWESOME...oh, the time I would spend perusing those pages and daydreaming...[sigh]...

(and I especially love seeing all the children's books!)
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Heroic Warrior
    So cool! There's few things I like more than seeing the old toy catalogs and photos of toy aisles. It really was the golden age of toys and imaginative play.

Quote Originally Posted by rmhart View Post
    I've been a huge fan of the Battle Ram blog since 2015. Thank you so much for including these scans! Let's hope there are fans out there with a full assortment of Sears or Montgomery Ward catalogs!
    Thank YOU! Yes, would love to see similar hi res scans across the different catalogs.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the memories & scans. I'm an '80's kid as well, and do clearly remember looking through these catalogs (especially the Sears "Wishbook") in the Fall, during the early - mid '80's. I especially enjoyed the pics. of the MOTU, Star Wars, and G.I. Joe toys. IIRC, in at least some cases these toys weren't even out yet?!, though I may be mis-remembering this.

It's funny that in the '84 catalog, they "combine" MOTU & Blackstar - given that the cartoons were both done by the same company & given that the figures had similar "builds", I guess that makes sense - LOL.

Cool pic. of the "Eternia" playset in the '86 catalog; I never had this toy, but did want it. Also, nice. pic. of the Castle Grayskull alarm clock - never knew this existed prior to this catalog pic.!

What's interesting is that as a kid, I never even though about ordering these toys through the catalog - which was the whole point of the "mail order" concept - I guess I just preferred to see if I could find them in stores, even though I had no drivers license at the time & was dependent on others to take me to stores. Also, I never had much spending $ as a kid, so was limited in what I could get, anyway. Ironically, these days I order a lot of things online - go figure (pun intended - LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by rmhart View Post
    It's my pleasure! In the days before the internet, browsing through these mail-order catalogs was the next best thing to visiting the toy store. I was surprised to find MOTU completely absent from the 1987 JCPenney catalog. Despite the release of a feature-length film that year, its popularity had evidently run its course by late '87.
    Agreed - before the Internet, catalogs like this were really the only way to "see" the toys, prior to getting them. Not surprised that MOTU was absent from the '87 catalog. By that time, the line had faded & other than a handful of movie figures & some dinosaurs?!, I don't remember many other MOTU toys that year.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; September 16, 2018 at 04:32pm.

I had just mentioned to my wife this morning how that old JC Penny catalog and the Wish Book would have been arriving soon. Good times.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    So cool! There's few things I like more than seeing the old toy catalogs and photos of toy aisles. It really was the golden age of toys and imaginative play.
    It was such a great time. I would study the Sears catalog for weeks making my Christmas list.

Heroic Warrior
    Most of my toys came from Hills, but I remember getting the catalogs in the mail.