View Poll Results: Are you interested if Mattel relaunch a MOTU vintage "commemorative" toyline?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES I am interested!

31 60.78%
  • NO thanks!

20 39.22%

Thread: Are you interested if Mattel relaunch a MOTU vintage "commemorative" toyline?

Are you interested if Mattel relaunch a MOTU vintage "commemorative" toyline?

Checking at the ended prices of the 2001 commemorative Mattel toyline on the Bay these last months, I can see many interest by collecting them today, more than ever because
    original vintage toys (new in packagings) are now very expensive and hard to find for "pristine" ones (clear bubbles, minty cards, perfect boxes etc)
    I am pretty sure that many collectors will be interested to see a relaunch of commemorative toys by Mattel + the fact that Super 7 is now doing a continuity of the vintage line, perfect match IMO.

Mattel shown recently few customized 5" figures (Slime Pit zomby He-man, Anti-Eternia He-Man etc) it might be so cool to include that kind of variants with a reissue of most of the old figures.
    Also many of us are asking hopelessly for Giants and Lasers figures reissued... the potential is really big for Mattel.

(image from https://battleram.wordpress.com )

I know that Mattel pay attention to his future projects, they do not want to lose money by producing new things for collectors, but what is better for them than produce new reissues of the vintage toyline next to the potential 12" Jumbo figures and 12" Deluxe Dolls?
    What they just have to do is to take really care about details of the figures (like again this damnit He-man head, the 2001 commemorative one is just
    botched...)

Regarding the last 12" He-Man jumbo figures shown (just awesome), I keep hopes with Mattel, they can do things right if they really want.

About the prices of the 2001 commemoratives toys, we can cross He-Man/Battle Cat set sold at $200/250, Skeletor/Panthor set at $150/200 ,5-Figures Packs at $300/400, figures like He-Man, Skeletor, Faker at $70/100 if no more etc etc (significant at my eyes of a large demand).

I also think that a limited edition, as the 2001 commemorative line, is necessary.

Well, it is just my feeling, do you also need to see new commemorative toys like me?

Last edited by TOKYONEVER; September 14, 2018 at 11:33pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I had a lot of fun collecting them the first time around and was sad they didn't do more commemorative. I'd love if they did them again and got to more characters and items.

Heroic Warrior
    I voted yes because it's an intriguing idea. In practice, would I really feel I could commit to another MOTU line? I'm not sure. When I started the VoG website I actually hoped Mattel would do something like this. (The 2002 line was an epic failure in my eyes.) But that was before the Classics, which have pretty much become the definitive versions of the characters (except when Filmation seeps in and affects the styling).

I think my reluctance to commit to a relaunch of the vintage figures is influenced by how much I'm still invested in the current lines. Everything is so expensive now. The 5.5" figures are the same price as the Classics were at the start of the line (actually more for He-Ro and Eldor).

But I have started buying the Filmation 5.5" figures, so it would be nice to own the 'real' ones too. We'll have to see if Mattel runs with this idea. We know they can't be trusted to stay committed to a project, so I'm wary at the moment of buying into something they might not finish.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Will be cool with good molds to have great heads, I hate commemo heads.
    If they can make the head right like they showed us for Giants, that would be awesome to have a relaunch
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

As with most things, I might cherry pick some of them if they are reasonably priced. I'm thinking no more than 25 bucks.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; December 18, 2018 at 01:11am.
    Odd Man Out

Yes! Especially focusing on rare figures as Tokyonever mentioned (Laser figures, giants). I would also add Rotar/Twistoid, Scare Glow, etc.

This would be a great chance to make some corrections, as they did recently with the MOTU Giants He-Man head. Would love to see a bit more attention to detail. For example, aside from the corrected head, He-Man should have the colors from the original Taiwan release, not the Mexico variant, IMO.

I would collect this for sure, as an easy way to have carded vintage style MOTU figures.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; September 16, 2018 at 06:32pm.

Hell yes!!! I have nothing else to say lol.

I’d probably pass for the most part but some items may be too hard to pass. Personally I really enjoy the modern line and aside from picking a few cherries I don’t think I’d want to juggle another line. Best of luck to you vintage fans hoping to see this come to fruition.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm interested in mattel relaunching the classics and filmation. That's for sure. Let's go..

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

So long as it was Mattel and not Super7 handling the figures, I'd be all over it!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Checking at the ended prices of the 2001 commemorative Mattel toyline on the Bay these last months, I can see many interest by collecting them today, more than ever because
    original vintage toys (new in packagings) are now very expensive and hard to find for "pristine" ones (clear bubbles, minty cards, perfect boxes etc)
    I am pretty sure that many collectors will be interested to see a relaunch of commemorative toys by Mattel + the fact that Super 7 is now doing a continuity of the vintage line, perfect match IMO.
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/ebay/come3.jpg

Mattel shown recently few customized 5" figures (Slime Pit zomby He-man, Anti-Eternia He-Man etc) it might be so cool to include that kind of variants with a reissue of most of the old figures.
    Also many of us are asking hopelessly for Giants and Lasers figures reissued... the potential is really big for Mattel.
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/ebay/come2.jpg
    (image from https://battleram.wordpress.com )

I know that Mattel pay attention to his future projects, they do not want to lose money by producing new things for collectors, but what is better for them than produce new reissues of the vintage toyline next to the potential 12" Jumbo figures and 12" Deluxe Dolls?
    What they just have to do is to take really care about details of the figures (like again this damnit He-man head, the 2001 commemorative one is just
    botched...)

Regarding the last 12" He-Man jumbo figures shown (just awesome), I keep hopes with Mattel, they can do things right if they really want.

About the prices of the 2001 commemoratives toys, we can cross He-Man/Battle Cat set sold at $200/250, Skeletor/Panthor set at $150/200 ,5-Figures Packs at $300/400, figures like He-Man, Skeletor, Faker at $70/100 if no more etc etc (significant at my eyes of a large demand).

I also think that a limited edition, as the 2001 commemorative line, is necessary.

Well, it is just my feeling, do you also need to see new commemorative toys like me?

http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/ebay/come.jpg
    There's a whole new slew of people on fb that's why. All us dudes that been doing it for 10 years and more seen these things as they came out and already know about them. Now there's people just finding out.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Not interested. If Mattel does this they need to somehow re-create accurate molds for the vintage toys. Some type of scan or recreation of a mint original figure - perhaps an early release from taiwan. Customizers do this quite well why can't mattel? Besides he-man's head sculpt there are issues with almost all of the figures released in 2001. There is a lack of musculature and veins on heroic biceps and hands. Heroic right shoulder is missing muscle detail. The gripping hand also has malformed fingers. Some of the areas that came out soft in the arms you can tell that they went in and recreated detail such as the finger nails and inside of the arms where detail is now super sharp but innacurate. The main torso is missing details in areas such as the belly button and ab area. He-Mans axe is missing an entire ring under the head of the axe. Also when measuring the heroic body one can oberve that it is slightly smaller than the originals in all dimensions.

Beastman's head is narrower and squished in on both sides in the commemorative.
    Skeletor's head appears a bit large and ballooned out.
    Etc

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    As with most things, I might cherry pick some of them.
    Same most likely

Little up

would be cool

I sold all mine to fund my MOTUC collection, so Im not too fussed. I donated my He-Man and Battle Cat and Skeletor and Panthor sets to a charity auction and while I absolutely do not regret that, I wish I still had them. So Id rebuy those if a new commemorative series ever happened.

Yes, but only if they are affordable in such a way as to buy these for my son. AND, hey need to incorporate POP and Filmation characters; in other words, sculpts that match the vintage style MOTU recreations. My son loves both He-Man & She-Ra.

Id love to see:

Prince Adam
    He-Man
    Sorceress
    Teela
    Orko
    Man-At-Arms
    Ram Man
    Man-E-Faces
    Roboto
    Buzz-Off
    Stratos
    Adora
    She-Ra
    Bow
    Glimmer
    Kowl
    Angella
    Castaspella
    Frosta
    Netossa
    Mermista
    Sea Hawk
    King Randor
    Queen Marlena
    Hawke

Vs

Skeletor
    Evil-Lyn
    Beast Man
    Mer-Man
    Tri-Klops
    Trap-Jaw
    Clawful
    Faker
    Whiplash
    Hordak
    Leech
    Mantenna
    Grizzlor
    Catra
    Scorpia
    Shadow Weaver
    Horde Trooper
    King Hiss
    Tung Lashor
    Rattlor
    Kobra Khan
    Snake Warrior

Battle Cat
    Panthor
    Swift Wind

Castle Grayskull
    Snake Mountain (Filmation / 200X style)
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot