Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Captain Marvel 2019 Movie Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    when you see all this crap happening with YT algorithms and RT protection, why is it so hard to believe that disney would buy a buttload of tickets to inflate sales numbers, so they can have a 'win' and another another solo flop?
    I'm being 100% serious when I say that:

A. I don't believe they need a win. They're not in danger of doing poorly and Star Wars aside, they make some of the most generally popular movies around.

B. I believe Rotten Tomatoes did what they did because they feel like their review site was being compromised by negativity rather than the content of the movie. They want to remain popular because it's profitable. I don't think Disney had anything to do with it. Think about it, if reviewers (actual paid reviewers) start losing faith in the credibility of the site because it's being over run with trolls, they'll disconnect themselves from it.

C. There's no solid proof of anything they've been accused of when it comes to ticket sales. None. Everything is word of mouth from some Joe Schmo. If there were really any truth to it you would be reading about it somewhere besides comic fan sites and Youtube video boys.

D. Comic fanboys do what they do and ignore other Disney movies that flopped. Why wouldn't they have done the same thing for those movies that they're supposedly doing for Captain Marvel? Go look at the Rotten Tomatoes page for A Wrinkle in Time. If Disney DOES influence RT they didn't try very hard for that movie.

ooops..

anyone getting feigbuster vibes? LOTS of empty theater reports, yet it made money somehow..
    God's my witness that I did not like CM (or SW:TLJ for the matter) but it is nonsese for the same company releasing the movie to spend money on tickets to make it seem successful.
    The movie is successful as everything that Marvel shall release in the next 3 years. People may enjoy it or as myself just don't find it appealing since the moment Ms Marvel became Cap Marvel in the comics, but I don't think there's any conspiracy to make it look successful when clearly it is. Disney/Marvel has put a lot of money in marketing already to purchase tickets and word to mouth is good for the majority, there's the best publicity the movie can get.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    God's my witness that I did not like CM (or SW:TLJ for the matter) but it is nonsese for the same company releasing the movie to spend money on tickets to make it seem successful.
    common sense makes no difference where a SJW movie is concerned. these people have lost their reasoning long ago. and they've SEEN how these types of movies have faired in the past. all they care about is talking points. 'first this', powerful that...hateful this, trolls that. if it fails, they don't get any of that. if it works.. they can be one of the few that get to brag about it.
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'm being 100% serious when I say that:

A. I don't believe they need a win. They're not in danger of doing poorly and Star Wars aside, they make some of the most generally popular movies around.

B. I believe Rotten Tomatoes did what they did because they feel like their review site was being compromised by negativity rather than the content of the movie. They want to remain popular because it's profitable. I don't think Disney had anything to do with it. Think about it, if reviewers (actual paid reviewers) start losing faith in the credibility of the site because it's being over run with trolls, they'll disconnect themselves from it.

C. There's no solid proof of anything they've been accused of when it comes to ticket sales. None. Everything is word of mouth from some Joe Schmo. If there were really any truth to it you would be reading about it somewhere besides comic fan sites and Youtube video boys.

D. Comic fanboys do what they do and ignore other Disney movies that flopped. Why wouldn't they have done the same thing for those movies that they're supposedly doing for Captain Marvel? Go look at the Rotten Tomatoes page for A Wrinkle in Time. If Disney DOES influence RT they didn't try very hard for that movie.
    Rotten Tomatoes is owned by Warner Bros. Why would they be conspire to help their competitor? It is just dumb.

common sense makes no difference where a SJW movie is concerned. these people have lost their reasoning long ago. and they've SEEN how these types of movies have faired in the past. all they care about is talking points. 'first this', powerful that...hateful this, trolls that. if it fails, they don't get any of that. if it works.. they can be one of the few that get to brag about it.
    Well at the same time the general public is being asked to believe the polar opposites of SJW's when they declare Disney is buying up tickets to make their movie look good. That looks and sounds equally as crazy of reasoning to most people.

I think you're giving SJW's too much credit.

Have you seen the movie yet?

Heroic Warrior
    Well at the same time the general public is being asked to believe the polar opposites of SJW's when they declare Disney is buying up tickets to make their movie look good. That looks and sounds equally as crazy of reasoning to most people.

I think you're giving SJW's too much credit.

Have you seen the movie yet?
    Cause it IS crazy to buy up tickets to your own movie so you can say it's a success. that's the entire SJW mantra.

No intention of seeing this movie.

I think my MCU will end with endgame it Bri is the new face of it.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    when you see all this crap happening with YT algorithms and RT protection, why is it so hard to believe that disney would buy a buttload of tickets to inflate sales numbers, so they can have a 'win' and another another solo flop?
    Really??? They are going to spend even more money to but the tickets that would mean that they are LOSING money then...does that make sense? You people have to stop this "Conspiracy" crap already....

Funny nothing bad was said about Wonder Woman...why not? Those movies were both good not great but watchable I think you keeping beating the Ghostbusters remake to death we get it already most people have moved on hasn't it been like 2 years already?
    Last edited by Megalodon; March 15, 2019 at 07:45pm.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Cause it IS crazy to buy up tickets to your own movie so you can say it's a success. that's the entire SJW mantra.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

And mildly exhausting.

Heroic Warrior
    Most people I know who saw it loved it. I thought it was pretty good. Regardless, the theaters were packed opening weekend.

This is not just a movie... it's part 21 of a 22 part series. Just like Guardians of the Galaxy the majority of people didn't run to see it because it was the guardians... they did it because of the interconnected universe. there were a lot of people who didn't want to miss out on what the gems were... Infinity War ended with a CM teaser, and people don't want to be lost when she joins in with Avengers Endgame.

"I like Santa!" Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I highly recommend watching the Half in the Bag review from Red Letter Media on Youtube on Captain Marvel. They do go into the controversy over Brie Larson's public "SJW" statements and criticize them, but they also point out the absurdity of the "anti-SJWs" who keep going on and on and on about this movie. They do ultimately give their opinions on the movie on it's own merits. One guy didn't recommend it, the other guy only does so mildly for fans and followers of the MCU. But their less than stellar reviews are not based on the controversy itself.

The actual discussion about Captain Marvel starts around the 5:40 mark. Up until then, they are having a lot of conversations about Milwaukee, WI (where they are based out of) for whatever reason, as they do these reviews as characters to a certain extent and for some reason that was some tangent that they went on. There is some swearing in it, which is why I'm linking it instead of embedding it.

https://youtu.be/9pQNYeOEFJc

Below are my thoughts on the movie itself (in short: I liked it) and the controversy. Due to them being rather lengthy and going off on a tangent from the main point of this thread, I am putting them in spoiler tags.

I saw and heard about Brie Larson's public comments (i.e. not caring what a "40 year old white dude" thought about "A Wrinkle in Time" and so on), and I will admit that didn't sit well with me. Not that I'm against diversity, but it was more of this forced "SJW-y" form and calls for it that I find rather grating. And I will admit that it did reduce my interest in going to see the movie. I never got to the point of refusing to see it, largely because I knew I would go no matter what with it being an MCU movie and with Avengers Endgame coming in the near future.

So my wife and I saw the movie last weekend, and we both enjoyed it overall. I don't consider it the best MCU movie by any means, but it is certainly not the worst either IMO. It also has what is now one of my favorite Stan Lee cameos of them all. The movie also wasn't hitting people over the head with any kind of agenda or overly feminist ideology. Sure, there's some bits of of sexism in the movie, most of it being pretty accurate to the era that this took place in, including some flashback scenes that take place years before the 1990s setting of most of the film. None of it seemed ridiculous.

While I am rather anti-SJW myself as I have expressed in other threads elsewhere in the "other discussion forum" and even more so in the "Tar Swamp," the backlash against this movie has gone overboard and is WAY out of proportion.

As a basis for comparison on the two extreme ends of this (no SJW stuff happening at all, and a ton of it happening), let's look at the Wonder Woman movie and Ghostbusters 2016.

Starting with GB2016, I was pretty upset with that movie and a lot of the stuff surrounding it. And I largely agreed with most of the outrage as it was happening for a few reasons. Ghostbusters is a very beloved franchise for many who grew up with it, and from the perspective of many, doing a half-hearted cash-in reboot of it was far worse than doing the same for most other older movies. Most fans never wanted to see Ghostbusters rebooted in any capacity, regardless of the gender of the characters. Most either wanted the original team back together, or at least having the originals pass the torch to a new generation. I know some feel even that shouldn't happen now (especially with the passing of Harold Ramis), but the point is that those approaches in general would have been better accepted than what actually happened.

The type of humor that Paul Feig was going for was a completely different tone than the original films (more slap-sticky jokes) and relied WAY too heavily on ad libbing. I know there was some ad libbing in the original films, especially on the part of Bill Murray, but none of it felt out of place or distracting to the story of the film like it does in GB2016.

Then we do get to the gender change of the reboot. Whether or not it was the actual intention of Feig for it to be any kind of over the top SJW feminist message in doing so (he may have just liked the idea of it being women in general without it being politically driven), it did at best come across as being a gimmick under the circumstances, and at worst came across as some kind of ideological message.

Before the cast was announced, but the fact that it was being rebooted with women in the roles, for me personally I wasn't thrilled with it (especially the reboot aspect), but what I was more concerned about was who they would cast. With it being Paul Feig, the director of Bridemaids, I was really worried about him casting Kristin Wiig (who is kind of hit and miss with me) and Melissa McCarthy (who over time I came to find rather grating), and basically making "Bridesmaids with Proton Packs." Then when they did announce the cast, that's pretty much exactly what happened, and any shred of hope that I had for the movie pretty much flew out the window.

While I'm sure there were some people out there who were sexist, and many may not have shared my specific opinions of the people casted in the movie, most of the outrage was in regards to the cheap cash-in reboot aspect, with the all female gimmick just being the icing on the cake. But what happened then was people involved with the film (the actors, director, people at Sony, etc.) were replying specifically to that outrage and spinning it to say that everyone who was upset was sexist, hated women, live in "their mom's basement", etc. These were statements being directed at Ghostbusters fans in relation to the new reboot movie specifically. And that just upset people more, making them want the movie to fail, including me, and ultimately it pretty much did fail.

Onto Wonder Woman. That film came out without pretty much any SJWish talk at all (that I recall anyway) from anyone majorly involved with the film, especially not Gal Gadot or director Patty Jenkins. And with that being the case, there really wasn't any major backlash over it like there was with GB2016 or now with Captain Marvel. It was a good, generally well received movie with a female lead based on an existing female comic book character (no gender changes here), and it went over well.

So circling back to Captain Marvel, here's the issue with the backlash...

For the most part Brie Larson's comments, as cringe-worthy as they are IMO, were not directly in regards to the Captain Marvel movie or it's audience. Yes, she did make some comments about white males in the business of film review, and being that it is on the topic of movies in general, I can see where some take issue with it in connection with Captain Marvel than if she were just making some non-film related comments.

The only two things that were more tied into this movie and the MCU that went on were Brie's campaign to have people donate to buy tickets for little girls who couldn't afford to see the movie, which was questionable since it didn't include boys, and would go towards to purchasing of tickets that Marvel/Disney would profit from. Why not just set up a free screening with the studio paying for any costs involved, and include any underprivileged kids? But still, even that wasn't intended as a jab against anyone.

The other comment was her saying that she would like to play the lead in an all-female Avengers movie in the future. And yes, that would be more remnicent of GB2016 if that happened, but that was just her saying that she'd like to see that. It doesn't mean that the creative team behind the MCU would allow that and purposely push any male characters who will continue to be in the films after Avengers Endgame to the side just to make that happen. Until anything credible comes about indicating that will happen, people need to not jump the gun about it.

The thing about the Captain Marvel backlash is that the anti-SJW crowd are making themselves look just as crazy as many of the crazy SJWs out there. They really need to learn to pick their battles. Unlike GB2016, no one involved with the movie is directly making SJWish comments directly towards them about the movie itself.

In terms of the end movie and how much (if any) SJW content is in it, Captain Marvel is roughly on par with Wonder Woman in terms of how little is in there. Wonder Woman, taking place during World War I, of course had some "sexist" aspects of how men reacted to a woman being in battle like she was and so on, but it never hit you over the head with it and it wasn't some big preachy ideological movie in that sense. And no one complained. But I would say that Captain Marvel is on par with Wonder Woman in that respect, with it not containing too much of that sort of thing. But the people speaking out against it? They are nitpicking the hell out of any little thing that they can find in it and blowing it out of proportion. As stated in that Red Letter Media review that I linked above (much of which I not only agree with, but was already thinking myself before watching it) is that some of these Youtubers taking issue with it are making videos daily just to nitpick it and force any "updates" in people's faces that they can even slightly spin as a negative against the film - including, but not limited to, the box office drop off on Monday following the opening weekend.

Yes, SJWs tend to blow the issues that they complain about and fight against out of proportion to the point of just being obnoxious and grating. But right now, the anti-SJWs are just as grating with their backlash over this movie. They need to reign it in and pick their battles if they want to be taken seriously when they do express actual legitimate complaints.

I'm also a big believer in trying, where possible, to separate the art from the artist. I didn't like Brie Larson's comments, but I saw the movie and enjoyed it. I recently started a thread in the Tar Swamp about a season 3 episode of The Simpsons that is being removed from circulation (no more reruns on TV, the streaming apps, online purchases, and supposedly won't be in any releases of the season 3 DVD set) because it featured Michael Jackson, and there is a lot of rekindled controversy over him with that documentary that recently came out. And I expressed that I don't think removing it is the right thing to do, and that kind of censorship shouldn't be necessary - especially removing it as an option to purchase even if it doesn't air on TV. It would be completely hypocritical of me to feel that way about this Simpsons episode given what the accusations (true or not) against Michael Jackson are, while boycotting Captain Marvel purely based on Brie Larson's comments outside of and separate from the movie, itself.

I also want to say in regards to my issues with GB2016, unlike certain individual(s) around here that I won't specify by name, while I was upset about it and had the issues with it that I explained above, I wasn't still going on about it many months after the fact or randomly shoe-horning it into other completely unrelated discussions in manners that defy any and all logic and reasoning.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; March 16, 2019 at 05:33am.

Welcome to the family Carol, it's good to have you!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

I think that if Disney bought tickets to increase box office it could be fraud, a crime. Why would they risk being exposed just to inflate the box office? They've had many flops before, such as Solo. It makes no sense. And you can't compare it to the last Ghostbusters since that actually lost money or barely broke even.

The truth is Captain Marvel is making a lot of money. Way more than I or most people thought it would. It looks like it will beat Wonder Woman and is headed to the billion-dollar club. Boycotts by a small group of fanboys barely affect the box office of a movie at all and might actually HELP the movie with the press covering the boycott.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    it's a big corporation with billions. they think they can get away with anything...and if someone suspects something, file it away under conspiracy theory.

same thing happened with feigbusters. reports of LOTS of theaters with empty seats, yet somehow it made $250 million. and there where no where NEAR enough ghostbuster fans to help that along compared to marvel fans.

Although I think it's less likely sony bought tickets, being smaller than disney.. but the situations are similar.

it's a big corporation with billions. they think they can get away with anything...and if someone suspects something, file it away under conspiracy theory.

same thing happened with feigbusters. reports of LOTS of theaters with empty seats, yet somehow it made $250 million. and there where no where NEAR enough ghostbuster fans to help that along compared to marvel fans.

Although I think it's less likely sony bought tickets, being smaller than disney.. but the situations are similar.
    Well at the end of the day there's no real proof Disney or Sony bought tickets to inflate numbers. To most people it makes zero sense for them to do so. The only people that want to believe they did, just so happen to be the same people that were talking this movie into the ground prior to it's release. Not a single person with any credibility. Disney doing something like this would be NEWS. If there were any credibility to the story, someone real would be covering it.

Meanwhile the rest of us are seeing it in packed showings. There's plenty of proof that people are enjoying it and seeing it in theaters.

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    Shredder is absolutely correct! This is clearly yet another move by the Shadow Gynocracy in their neverending campaign to oppress straight white men - already the most oppressed group in all of human history, and probably a few other species' histories, too! Every movie, TV show, novel, and comic strip that doesn't feature a straight white man in the leading role gets us one high-heeled step closer to a successful coup by the Deep Pink State, and if we don't start fighting back now, they'll keep digging their long, well-manicured nails deeper and deeper into us until they finally achieve their goal of enslaving us and forcing us to toil endlessly in their underground tampon mines! Wake up, sheeple!
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Quote Originally Posted by KidTDragon View Post
    Shredder is absolutely correct! This is clearly yet another move by the Shadow Gynocracy in their neverending campaign to oppress straight white men - already the most oppressed group in all of human history, and probably a few other species' histories, too! Every movie, TV show, novel, and comic strip that doesn't feature a straight white man in the leading role gets us one high-heeled step closer to a successful coup by the Deep Pink State, and if we don't start fighting back now, they'll keep digging their long, well-manicured nails deeper and deeper into us until they finally achieve their goal of enslaving us and forcing us to toil endlessly in their underground tampon mines! Wake up, sheeple!
    How do you know so much??

Wait a sec: animator x Disney + (over the top theory meant to distract) =

obvious Disney plant here in these threads to disguise the truth!!! How long have you been under their influence!?!?

Heroic Warrior
    Well at the end of the day there's no real proof Disney or Sony bought tickets to inflate numbers. To most people it makes zero sense for them to do so. The only people that want to believe they did, just so happen to be the same people that were talking this movie into the ground prior to it's release. Not a single person with any credibility. Disney doing something like this would be NEWS. If there were any credibility to the story, someone real would be covering it.

Meanwhile the rest of us are seeing it in packed showings. There's plenty of proof that people are enjoying it and seeing it in theaters.
    like those same people bought and paid for by hollywood, that may or may not share the same ideals? ;o)
    'real' people like comicbookresources or variety? :O) or the ever un biased The Gaurdian or New york Times?

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    How do you know so much??

Wait a sec: animator x Disney + (over the top theory meant to distract) =

obvious Disney plant here in these threads to disguise the truth!!! How long have you been under their influence!?!?
    You fool! That's what they want you to think! Disney's been deep in their Gucci handbag for years! They're not the puppeteer, they're just another marionette, being worked by the slender hands of the Feministas! Do you think it's a coincidence that Frozen had two female leads? This is all part of their plot, to get us fighting among ourselves so we don't notice them casually slipping civilization into their TUMI purse! Don't let yourself be blinded by their silk sleep mask your whole life!

like those same people bought and paid for by hollywood, that may or may not share the same ideals? ;o)
    'real' people like comicbookresources or variety? :O) or the ever un biased The Gaurdian or New york Times?
    Exactly! The Ovarian Dictatorship has all of Hollywood and the media firmly under its Manolo Blahniks! There's too much at risk to ignore the obvious, no matter how implausible or silly it may be!
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    It looks like it will beat Wonder Woman and is headed to the billion-dollar club.
    This makes me sad because everything I have read or heard says it is no where as good as WW. It just goes to show that a movie does not have to be great to make money.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    This makes me sad because everything I have read or heard says it is no where as good as WW. It just goes to show that a movie does not have to be great to make money.
    Or it just goes to show that you rely too heavily on opinions you read online, and should form your own opinions.

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...

Meanwhile, back in reality...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...obally-1195271

”Captain Marvel easily stayed No. 1 in its second weekend, earning another $69.3 million in North America and $119.7 million overseas for a mighty worldwide total of $760.2 million.

The pic's global tally includes $266.2 million in domestic ticket sales, and $494 million from overseas.

The first female-led superhero pic from Marvel Studios and Disney — starring Brie Larson — is now assured of ultimately earning $1 billion. It's already passed a slew of superhero pics, including Suicide Squad ($747 million), Captain America: Winter Soldier ($714 million), Doctor Strange ($678 million), Man of Steel ($668 million), Justice League ($658 million), Thor: The Dark World ($645 million), Iron Man 2 ($624 million) and Ant-Man and The Wasp ($623 million), not adjusted for inflation.

Overseas, Captain Marvel has also zoomed past Wonder Woman, which finished its run with a foreign tally of $409 million (Wonder Woman's global total was $821.8 million).

In North America, where it declined 55 percent, Captain Marvel scored one of the top 20 second weekends of all time. While males continued to make up the majority of ticket buyers (57 percent), the female portion grew slightly from opening weekend (43 percent versus 42 percent), according to PostTrack.”
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; March 18, 2019 at 11:21am.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

I'd then ask why do these theories only arise when a movie comes along that has a strong female lead or cast? Also only when the original content did NOT have a strong female lead or cast?

This is the number one flaw in the theory every time in that it only seems to apply to a tiny select handful of movies. And those movies just so happen to have fanboys that aren't happy with the direction the movie is taking. Why is it only certain movies? Why do they let other fail?

Again, where's the proof? a few shots of an empty theater lobby? How is Disney manipulating all the non-US sales?

Heroic Warrior
    maybe because these movies are too big to fail?

no one cares if a wrinkle in time fails. no one cares if alita fails. those movies are allowed to stand on their own merits. but Captain Marvel got off on the wrong foot right from the start and got branded as 'a femenist movie'...

that's why those types of movies are 'targeted', because they disney brass want all the good headlines that go with that kind of 'publicity'.

I'd then ask why do these theories only arise when a movie comes along that has a strong female lead or cast? Also only when the original content did NOT have a strong female lead or cast?

This is the number one flaw in the theory every time in that it only seems to apply to a tiny select handful of movies. And those movies just so happen to have fanboys that aren't happy with the direction the movie is taking. Why is it only certain movies? Why do they let other fail?

Again, where's the proof? a few shots of an empty theater lobby? How is Disney manipulating all the non-US sales?
    Please don’t encourage him. You will not convince him that he is wrong about his false and erroneous beliefs about box office manipulation. This will just turn into another Last Jedi and Ghostbusters remake thread. This is the only attention he seeks and gets...