Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Captain Marvel 2019 Movie Thread

Official Captain Marvel 2019 Movie Thread

So the latest Entertainment Weekly broke the silence with Captain Marvel... and revealed a lot of cool information.

I won't go into detail for fear of spoilers, but needless to say, I'm looking forward to this movie even more than I was before.

I will say that there are a ton of characters returning to the MCU who we have seen in slightly different roles... because this movie is a bit of a prequel...

Anyway, here is a shot of the EW Cover:

And a shot of Brie Larson in action:

Regardless of whether you're a fan of Larson or not, you have to admit, the costume looks good... real good.

Apparently Marvel Studios has no qualms with stating that Captain Marvel is the most powerful character to have been introduced into the MCU so far. Which sets up a very likely meeting between her and Thanos...

Either way, I'm pretty excited to see this. I just love Cosmic Marvel, and this movie seems like it's going to get a lot right.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Here's the first teaser trailer:

It is the first teaser, and personally not really digging it. I prefer Carol more as Ms Marvel in the comics than Cap Marvel, and this trailer seems to be a mix between Green Lantern & Wonder Woman by design and tone. It also seems that the tone is quite more "respectful" (?) or "solemn" for being MCU first female hero solo movie.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

was ok, but its only the first trailer. i will watch it either way, since she is the one called to help against darkseid

kidding.. thanos
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Lots of slo mo and a woman looking mainly bored, hopefully that'll be tied in to her being part alien.

My concern isn’t for this movie but the second half of the infinity war.

The MCU has spent so many years developing the heroes. Some for longer than others of course. If they are going to use Captain Marvel at this stage of the game to go against Thanos it may come across as cheap. Of course I’m making an awe full big assumption here and the Russo Brothers and KF have done nothing to make me second guess their story telling thus far. But, to just pull a Superman level hero out of outer space in the 9th inning may feel a bit taudry. Time will tell and I’m hope I’m wrong as I haven’t been this excited for a sequel since Empire.

I love this teaser.

I'm not really concerned with the whole Infinity War tie-in, I'm just so jazzed that a character like Captain Marvel is being introduced in the MCU.

The current MCU was getting a bit crowded... but now that the whole universe has become fair game, we might see some incredible stuff coming in the next phase. (Especially if Marvel Studios can get back the FF/Silver Surfer/Namor rights...)

I can't wait to see Ronan again, along with the rest of the Kree - plus the Skrull are finally getting a proper introduction... it all seems to lend itself to a much more diverse and expanded stable of heroes. If it turns out to be true that many of the original Avengers die/leave/retire, then there are plenty of awesome characters to fill their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    My concern isn’t for this movie but the second half of the infinity war.

The MCU has spent so many years developing the heroes. Some for longer than others of course. If they are going to use Captain Marvel at this stage of the game to go against Thanos it may come across as cheap. Of course I’m making an awe full big assumption here and the Russo Brothers and KF have done nothing to make me second guess their story telling thus far. But, to just pull a Superman level hero out of outer space in the 9th inning may feel a bit taudry. Time will tell and I’m hope I’m wrong as I haven’t been this excited for a sequel since Empire.
    I agree overall with what you're saying here. But I also agree that I don't think that's the direction the movie will take.

This last movie will probably be a send off for a few of our long time Avengers, I doubt seriously they'd let a new character steal that thunder.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

I rather enjoyed the trailer and am glad to see a break in the timeline between all the Marvel Movies. Back to Back movies the intertwine gets a little tiresome. I love to see some more movies that break away from the current Infinity War story and set up for Phase 4.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

http://give.transplants.org/goto/justintrease

Quote Originally Posted by Jobber View Post
    I rather enjoyed the trailer and am glad to see a break in the timeline between all the Marvel Movies. Back to Back movies the intertwine gets a little tiresome. I love to see some more movies that break away from the current Infinity War story and set up for Phase 4.
    Even though this still technically intertwines with Infinity War, I agree with you... it will be a nice break from the "norm" in the MCU.

Heck, I had a huge grin on my face when Carol crashes into a Blockbuster Video... ahh, revisiting the nineties...

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    It was a decent trailer but it had no real sequences that really grabbed my attention or made my job drop. That being said, I know this is only a teaser trailer so it's had a lot of ground to cover as far as character introductions and story elements go for the general public. However, I was planning on seeing this movie no matter what because of it's role and importance in the current MCU storyline and because I love the inclusion of more Marvel characters into films from Marvel Studios.

I loved that I will see helmeted Captain Marvel (I love that look!) and hints of the Monica Rambeaux "Captain Marvel" as well as the introduction of the Skrulls. I also like Ronan the Accuser and Korath's return, especially Ronan who got a raw deal in Guardians of the Galaxy (he'll get a bit more expansion into his motives/background in this film). I also enjoy seeing the return of Agent Coulson into the MCU and relish the idea of Fury and Coulson meeting for the first time.

So all in all, I feel it was an above average trailer that looks great but only scratches the surface of the probable gold that lays underneath.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Looks good to me. Can't wait to see this one, too.

Bandai / Tamashii Nations revealed pictures of their upcoming Captain Marvel figure (which looks freakin' fantastic!), and unwittingly dropped a spoiler.

Check her out - I've already got mine pre-ordered!

Her helmeted head looks sweet! And they kept her pseudo-mohawk too!

- - - Updated - - -

New trailer was debuted during Monday Night Football.

Check it out:

I can't wait for this!

Not feelin' it. In comparison, woman to woman wise Wonder Woman looked much better. *Just going by the trailers at this time for both to be fair* Maybe it's just me, but I think it's hard to pull off a female orientated super hero flick. Just looks blah...Nothing too exciting villain wise either IMO.

That figure looks awesome!

That trailer is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    Not feelin' it. In comparison, woman to woman wise Wonder Woman looked much better. *Just going by the trailers at this time for both to be fair* Maybe it's just me, but I think it's hard to pull off a female orientated super hero flick. Just looks blah...Nothing too exciting villain wise either IMO.
    While I agree that the trailer was underwhelming, I do not agree that it's difficult to make good super hero movie about a woman. It should not matter at all that the hero is woman or man, they can still be super no matter their gender. But yeah, I am not impressed with this Captain Marvel trailer. It just looks like another generic superhero movie with nothing special standing out. If Captain Marvel was a man, it would not have been any better. In fact it would have been worse if it was a man since they only thing this Captain Marvel movie has going for it is that their hero is woman, and that is not enough to make it compelling. I might skip this one in the theaters and catch it on video.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    I pretty much feel the same, probably because I rather prefer Ms Marvel than Captain, and just by the trailers, Brie Larson's performance seems to be a little shallow. Probably it would step up in other movies, like Chris Evnas has owned Captain America from Avengers to CA:Winter Soldier
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, this trailer is definitely better than the first one for me. I understand people being not too impressed with these but as an origin movie that this movie is, a lot of exposition will be needed. Captain America First Avenger and Thor suffered the same problems in their initial debuts.

However, given Marvel Studios’ track record, I am confident that this movie will turn out at the very least fine to great.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Looks fantastic.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I dunno exactly why, but I just can't muster any interest in this movie. I've enjoyed most of the Marvel movies to various degrees, and this one looks good visually, and has a neat hook of being set before any of the others. But for whatever reason, I just don't care. I'm sure I'll wind up seeing it eventually, but it's just not grabbing my interest like most of the Marvel movies have, even in the early marketing stages. So far, the big takeaway for me is that those are some impressive effects used to de-age Sam Jackson!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    I dunno exactly why, but I just can't muster any interest in this movie. I've enjoyed most of the Marvel movies to various degrees, and this one looks good visually, and has a neat hook of being set before any of the others. But for whatever reason, I just don't care. I'm sure I'll wind up seeing it eventually, but it's just not grabbing my interest like most of the Marvel movies have, even in the early marketing stages. So far, the big takeaway for me is that those are some impressive effects used to de-age Sam Jackson!
    I'm feeling exactly the same way. It might be Marvel fatigue at this point? Mostly I'm just like "Eh, I want to see how they un-do the ending of Infinity War in the next Avengers movie and Captain Marvel just feels like a speed bump to getting there..."
    Maybe if it had come out a few years ago I'd be more "oooh cool!", but right now it doesn't feel like something I need to see opening weekend when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I'm feeling exactly the same way. It might be Marvel fatigue at this point? Mostly I'm just like "Eh, I want to see how they un-do the ending of Infinity War in the next Avengers movie and Captain Marvel just feels like a speed bump to getting there..."
    Maybe if it had come out a few years ago I'd be more "oooh cool!", but right now it doesn't feel like something I need to see opening weekend when it comes out.
    Haha I'd say this is exactly what I'm thinking. I feel like I've seen half of a great movie and can't wait to see the rest. Everything else is just a way to kill time till then.

I do agree with Benny though and believe this will be a good to great movie.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    That trailer is amazing!
    I agree!

Everyone seems so hung up on Avengers 4, whereas I am looking for a break from the crossovers. I know that Captain Marvel will play a pivotal role in Avengers, but right now I'm just looking forward to a nice stand-alone origin style story.

Plus: Skrulls!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I do not agree that it's difficult to make good super hero movie about a woman. It should not matter at all that the hero is woman or man, they can still be super no matter their gender.
    Why aren't there more of them out there then? Aside from Wonder Woman. What other movies do you have to back these statements? I can rattle off a bunch of female comic book characters *as big as they get* that couldn't pull the numbers needed to justify their own movie. It's just one of those things that doesn't really work.

In general, it's just not something that the "majority" of a male dominated audience really wants to see. Maybe the characters aren't all that compelling to justify a solo flick or again, for whatever reason people just don't really care.

Please don't mistake my "hard to make a female super hero movie" as "females can't have powerful ass-kicking roles." Two especially iconic roles that immediately come to mind, Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner, Sigourney Weaver as Ripley and since we're on the topic let's add Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow. A whole movie about Black Widow though? Nah...wouldn't work.

Females leads can defiantly and have had plenty of successful movies. Again, I'm just purely relating this whole scenario to the whole "solo superhero movie" themed universe. There just aren't too many cases of it working.

The big issue with most super-heroines is that they are the derivative female counterpart of a male super-hero(Batgirl, Supergirl, She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, etc), including Captain Marvel. Wonder Woman was the template and was not easily followed by many known female super-heroes, I may only recall original super-heroines like Black Canary and Phantom Lady.
    In order to break that 75+ years mold in cinema I think that Marvel should have done a Ms Marvel movie. Same origin, same plot, but IMHO it would have had more impact in positioning a female super-hero.

I much rather prefer that way instead of doing the late trend of replacing male protagonist with female versions as it has been seen in Star Wars (Rey), Cars (Cruz Ramirez) and even Incredibles 2 (more focused on ElastiGirl against a female villain)

I do really support a Black Widow movie and any upcoming female super-hero movie, but it needs to really embrace its own "personality" and tone instead of being a derivative from a male super-hero, I think that is what has worked quite well with Wonder Woman

My feedback thread