Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Official Captain Marvel 2019 Movie Thread

I hate when people invoke Wakefield or Jenny McCarthy. I belong to several groups for folks injured by vaccines and the vast majority of them couldn't tell you who either one of those people are. Most people who are dealing with injury or death from a pharmaceutical product are not really taking their cues from a D list celebrity or discredited doctor. They are in their own personal hell and they are just trying to understand how they could be injured by something they were told was 'safe and effective.'

I honestly do not think we should hijack the thread anymore and I am done with the topic, but you cannot just go around assuming you know what these folks think or are going through based on a few whackadoos (and yes, I have seen them too but only online). When I attend support groups I see parents of dead or injured children. I see adults who have lost the use of their limbs. I see people who are trying to cope with the loss of their health. I do not see people who are embroiled in conspiracy theories.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mod note:

Hey folks, let's keep this thread on topic and stick to discussion about the Captain Marvel movie. If you'd like to discuss conspiracies, vaccines or anything else not directly related to Captain Marvel, please do so in the appropriate threads/forums. Thanks!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Did the scene with the planes flying through the canyons remind anyone else of Independence Day? I'm wondering how intentional that was as a 90s homage?

I totally wanted Captain Marvel to punch someone in the face and say "Welcome to Earth!"
    Yup, I got that homage as well. However, since it was Maria Rambeau piloting the ship, it would have to be her or Fury to do the punching/catch phrase saying.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Well, since they actually showed this happening in Avengers I assumed Stark did find it. But who was "SHIELD" at that time? I suppose a scientist that was developing revolutionary new military aircraft could have gotten possession of the tesseract to experiment with?

I wish they done a little better job of explaining it though.
    According to the Project Pegasus sign, it was a joint NASA / SHIELD program. Since SHIELD was involved and since Howard Stark and Peggy Carter reportedly helped found the organization, and since they knew how Red Skull was using it, I dont think it's a leap to guess that Pegasus was just the kind of joint project (astrophysicists!) to study the tessaract.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Yup, I got that homage as well. However, since it was Maria Rambeau piloting the ship, it would have to be her or Fury to do the punching/catch phrase saying.
    I was hoping the punch to happen when Jude Law finally made it to earth. Two separate scenes but for some reason I really wanted it to happen.

Any other movie references anyone caught? There is obviously the Top Gun reference with the cat being named Goose. It's a stretch but wasn't it a True Lies cardboard standup that got shot up at the Blockbuster? I was trying to see if I recognized any more nods to 90s sci-fi films, ala the Independence Day styled chase, but can't recall any off hand.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    According to the Project Pegasus sign, it was a joint NASA / SHIELD program. Since SHIELD was involved and since Howard Stark and Peggy Carter reportedly helped found the organization, and since they knew how Red Skull was using it, I dont think it's a leap to guess that Pegasus was just the kind of joint project (astrophysicists!) to study the tessaract.
    That makes perfect sense. I guess time limitations kept them from getting into much more explanation.

Master of New Adventures!
    I'm an ollllllllld man who can't remember anything. What was this thread about?

Okay. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Mod note:

Hey folks, let's keep this thread on topic and stick to discussion about the Captain Marvel movie. If you'd like to discuss conspiracies, vaccines or anything else not directly related to Captain Marvel, please do so in the appropriate threads/forums. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Mod note:
    If you'd like to discuss conspiracies, vaccines or anything else not directly related to Captain Marvel, please do so in the appropriate threads/forums. Thanks!
    That's one of the funnier sentences I've read in a while... I choked on my water just now, ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    Spoilers for the Cpt marvel film.
    I assumed that she was added to fill the gap left by Adam Warlock. I guess time will tell. Regardless of power limitations I just fell that she should have been woven into the plot before the "snap." Adding a resolution after the snap comes across as cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    I assumed that she was added to fill the gap left by Adam Warlock. I guess time will tell. Regardless of power limitations I just fell that she should have been woven into the plot before the "snap." Adding a resolution after the snap comes across as cheap.
    Well that's another thing that bothers me. Where the heck has she been all this time? Ronin was running wild about to destroy a planet. Thanos was running around mass murdering populations. Where was she during all that?

I personally want the main players to have the biggest roles in EndGame. But I don't see how that's possible once you introduce a character that you've given a ton more power to than any other.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Are we going to nitpick about that now? I have faith in Kevin Feige more so than anyone to tell a story it is perfect no but TOO MANY people think it should 100% come out of the comic.

Like in Endgame everyone gets beat (including Captain Marvel) then when Thanos is going for the Kill here comes Adam Warlock to beat him like he did in the comic:

See people that read the comics are ALWAYS going in the wrong direction and not focusing on WHY Thanos killed off half of the universe? They're was NO reason and I never heard anyone mention Mistress Death:

THIS is why he did it for her attention and love which could never be Marvel dropped the ball on this one that would make sense...They better mention something like this in endgame...
    Last edited by Megalodon; March 23, 2019 at 02:31pm.

"You should have aimed for my hea....*" BAM!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Are we going to nitpick about that now? I have faith in Kevin Feige more so than anyone to tell a story it is perfect no but TOO MANY people think it should 100% come out of the comic.

Like in Endgame everyone gets beat (including Captain Marvel) then when Thanos is going for the Kill here comes Adam Warlock to beat him like he did in the comic:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...aper-in-hd.jpg

See people that read the comics are ALWAYS going in the wrong direction and not focusing on WHY Thanos killed off half of the universe? They're was NO reason and I never heard anyone mention Mistress Death:

http://warcraft.blizzplanet.com/wp-c...ress-death.jpg

THIS is why he did it for her attention and love which could never be Marvel dropped the ball on this one that would make sense...They better mention something like this in endgame...
    You’re twisting my argument to fit your own defense. I don’t care if they are using Captain Marvel in place of Warlock, they along with many of the cosmic Marvel heroes of human size are largely interchangeable. My nitpick is poor story telling IF Captain Marvel (or Adam Warlock) swoop in for part two to save the day. We won’t know if that will happen until the film comes out but introducing the resolution for your conflict after the cliff hanger is a cop out. This is presumptuous on my part for sure, but GotG Vol 2 was the optimal time to roll out a Uber powered cosmic type. Then you have time to forget about the character so when they pop in in End Game, it’s not a magic rabbit out of the hat.

There is only aspect of the original story line that I hope comes to pass. There is one character that I’d love to see restored to her beautiful, original self and kid butt. And it’s not Danvers. And Yes his desire for Death was a lame reason in the first place and I don’t see that angle being used in a Disney film.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's another thing that bothers me. Where the heck has she been all this time? Ronin was running wild about to destroy a planet. Thanos was running around mass murdering populations. Where was she during all that?

I personally want the main players to have the biggest roles in EndGame. But I don't see how that's possible once you introduce a character that you've given a ton more power to than any other.
    Yeah, my concern is the End Game will be like watching a Superman movie without the existence of Kryptonie, Zod, or Luthor.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; March 23, 2019 at 06:10pm.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    And Yes his desire for Death was a lame reason in the first place and I don’t see that angle being used in a Disney film
    No it does make sense what they made him do makes no sense whatever....I guess you never read those stories to see why it makes sense to have death...

So I'm sympathetic about my home world starving and killing itself so I am going to go planet to planet killing half the populations to "Spare" them from extinction then your at peace? No and I made a point people still think she's going to kill Thanos and save everyone where was that leaked? People jump the gun too much
    Last edited by Megalodon; March 23, 2019 at 08:27pm.

Yeah, my concern is the End Game will be like watching a Superman movie without the existence of Kryptonie, Zod, or Luthor.
    In any case you probably want to prepare for that possibility, it's not far fetched that it can happen.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

I came late to the party because most of the comments I see are only indirectly relate to the film.

I saw Captain Marvel with a buddy last night, and I didn't care for it. He was jazzed, so I didn't poop on his party. I hate it when I enjoy something and someone else starts slamming it. To me, friendship is more important than disagreements about movies.

*****Spoilers****

I'll share my thoughts here to get them off my chest.

Overall, I didn't like the film. Here's why:

1)The non-linear storytelling with flashbacks was annoying. We open on an alien planet, and I'm wondering how an Earthling got there, but apparently that's not an issue since Jude Law mostly looks human too. We go on a mission that I barely understand or care about. Carol seems thrown into a bunch of conflict before I give two cents about her or see any character trait beyond the idea that she likes to spar to relieve stress.

There were several times in the movie where I couldn't remember what was happening or why someone or something was important.

Here are some questions that dogged me at different parts of the movie.

A) Why does she seem so casual about landing on an alien planet (Earth?) where she has "never" been? She knows there are enemies around, but she stands in an open phone booth with zero cover. No soldier would do that.
    A2)Is she an alien that looks like an earthling or an earthling that went into space?
    B1) Why does she think the Security Guard at Blockbuster will accept her falling out of the sky as normal?
    B2) Why does she think he's more important than he is?
    C) How does she know who Fury is?
    D) When the Skrulls took her prisoner, why didn't think they lock her up in something stronger? When they were in her mind, why didn't they realize she was conscious?
    E)Why is she the only alien on the initial team that can shoot lasers?

That scene where Annette Bening keeps talking to her on the airbase like a loop annoyed the heck out of me. I realize now that the Skrulls were re-playing it to find something specific, but after the disjointed jumble of memories montage, I was thinking, "When is this movie going to end?"

I was curious to know why the Skrulls mostly all looked the same, but the Kree didn't. I've never cared for Marvel stories in space, and sometimes I was confused about if the Kree were supposed to be the good bad guys. I also had no idea why one alien race was supposed to be bad, but the other aliens who seemed more diverse looking were good.

By the end of the movie, I was just glad it was over because I didn't care what alien race wanted the cube or how it wound up in this movie when Captain America had drowned it years earlier.

2) I've never been a fan of Carol Danvers. I mostly knew her from the X-Men episode "A Rogue's Tale" which was very compelling to me as a teenager. That episode boasted no right or wrong choices, and I always found it powerful. However, compared to Rogue Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel feels like dry toast without butter.

90s Rogue is such a vivid, cool, sassy but sweet character that Carol Danvers pales in comparison. The main thing I wanted Captain Marvel to do was fight the X-Men so the real Rogue (not the crappy Bryan Singer version) could stand up and be counted.

Question to my fellow fanboys****Are the photon blasts a new power? Rogue never displayed them, so I wondered if this was a Retcon.

3) Brie Larson was meh. Frankly, I had never heard of her before the bigoted comments, but I thought she was bland. Nothing about her acting struck me. In fact, I thought Captain Marvel's character development was too plot-driven. She never displayed any personality, quirks, etc. The best we got from her was that side-smirk to Fury at the end.

I think it was a bad combination between the actor and character but both felt devoid of personality or anything specific that made the story/experience unique. It felt like Carol could have been anyone and the move wouldn't have been any different.

As an example of how bland Carol Danvers is, I'll direct you to her memories of earth. What did she remember? Partying in a bar? Her main recollections seem to a montage of hurting herself. They could have made this comical. Hey, why can't she be powerful but also a klutz at the same time?

4)The ONLY unique thing about Captain Marvel seemed to be her cat. It was strange that the cat shows up, and people just start taking it on the adventure. Not one of the good guys questioned why it was there or anything. I did leave for the bathroom for a few minutes so maybe I missed the throw away line where they decided to take the cat everywhere.

5) Why did the movie take place in the 90s? Is that so it would be before the original Avengers movie? Again, just like Carol/Captain Marvel, nothing about the 90s affected the movie. She fell into a Blockbuster. Big deal! It could have been anywhere.

What pulled me out of the film as well were all the 90s songs that kept playing. It felt like the director was saying, "Let's remind the audience, this is the 90s!"

6) I'm also tired of how films show someone learning to fight, and then they can beat everybody including people who's studied combat for far longer. This problem isn't specific to Captain Marvel, but when she was defeating her whole team to the annoying Gwen Stefani song, it highlighted how movie protagonists that learn to fight always becoming the best at everything they do. Most people that learn martial arts NEVER go on to defeat everyone else in their class or their mentor, yet the movies act like this is the usual scenario.

7) Fury loses his eye, but doesn't complain and apparently needs no medical attention. He acted like it was another day in the office. That was one time where it was highly evident that we're dealing with someone who acts more like a machine than a human.

But the movie wasn't all bad.

Things I liked:

1) I liked that the aliens that were bad turned out to be good/basic refugees at the end. That element of the story reminded me of when Adora had the same revelation about the Horde, realizing that she was on the wrong side. However, that hurt the film at the same time because I remembered how much I love Adora. In the theater I started thinking, "They should have made a She-Ra move instead!"

2) Samuel Jackson was great in the film. His personality compensated for Brie Larson's stiff performance in several scenes.

3) I liked how they emphasized the importance of getting back up after a fall. It made me think that most of us recall the times we failed, but we don't emphasize how we rebound. I wish that had been discussed a little bit more. I still think it would have been better if they had established her as a klutz in the beginning of the film. Now that would have been funny and memorable. The disjointed memories at the beginning made me think this woman has a knack for remembering times she fell down.

Mostly, I was glad when the movie was over. I also don't quite understand why some movie reviewes have said that Captain Marvel is the strongest or most powerful hero when she certainly doesn't seem any more powerful than Thor or the Hulk.
    Last edited by Blue; Yesterday at 10:11am.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

I thought this was one of the more run of the mill Marvel films, not one I have a need to watch again anyway, the one thing that did bother me is that Talos sounded like a cockney barrow boy.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, the universe is a big place. And there's only 1 Captain Marvel. Conversely, the Guardians of the Galaxy were keenly aware of Thanos' existence for years and they didn't directly engage him even though 1 member had a blood oath of revenge (Drax). I'm sure they were other disasters that came up.

I don't have any worries. The Russo brothers have helmed the most highly acclaimed of all the MCU films (Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity War). I don't think they'll ruin their streak by making Captain Marvel the end all be all deus ex machina for End Game. The trailers for End Game clearly show that. The Russo brothers aren't Zach Synder after all. They know how to balance a myriad of characters to the benefit of the overall story.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

You better watch out
    What you wish for
    It better be worth it
    So much to die for
    Love is to die.
    Love is to not die.
    Love is to dance.

I don't have any worries. The Russo brothers have helmed the most highly acclaimed of all the MCU films (Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity War). I don't think they'll ruin their streak by making Captain Marvel the end all be all deus ex machina for End Game. The trailers for End Game clearly show that. The Russo brothers aren't Zach Synder after all. They know how to balance a myriad of characters to the benefit of the overall story.
    I agree with this.

It kills me how many people think that Captain Marvel will jump in and finish off Thanos easy-peasy... it's not going to go down that way.

Is she incredibly powerful? Yes. But, I believe that Doctor Strange is even more powerful than Carol, and the Russo bros. found a way to downplay both Strange and the Hulk (two of the strongest characters to exist in the MCU...) in Infinity War.

I do believe that she will play a crucial role in the defeat/reversal of Thanos and the events of Infinity War, but it will be a concentrated team effort. Strange kept Tony alive for a reason, and Fury paged Captain Marvel for a reason, so it will be interesting to see how and why these two are essential for the undoing of Thanos.

I keep posting these fan art pics of Carol confronting Thanos because I love Captain Marvel (both the character and the movie) and I like to see fan reaction to the nigh-impossibility of her dropping in the last minute to save the universe. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Mostly, I was glad when the movie was over. I also don't quite understand why some movie reviewes have said that Captain Marvel is the strongest or most powerful hero when she certainly doesn't seem any more powerful than Thor or the Hulk.
    Well to quick answer a couple of your questions, Carol was an earthling that got caught in a engine blast powered by the tesseract. She always had energy projection in the comics.

Why we think she's more powerful?

She flew through space and then through a giant war ship. That ship would have probably had shields and she flew through it exploding and came out completely unscathed. She's like a giant, more powerful, human version of Yondu's arrow.

Well, the universe is a big place. And there's only 1 Captain Marvel. Conversely, the Guardians of the Galaxy were keenly aware of Thanos' existence for years and they didn't directly engage him even though 1 member had a blood oath of revenge (Drax). I'm sure they were other disasters that came up.
    Well with the Guardians I would imagine they knew they weren't a match for Thanos and his forces. His daughter was fully aware of that. They don't possess any big hitters like Captain Marvel.

I'm with you on the fact these guys have made great movies. I just don't know how you introduce a character like that and find a way to keep them out of the fight that A. isn't some silly way where she just doesn't get the opportunity or B. isn't some "kryptonite" style way where Thanos can control her due to her powers coming from the space stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Is she incredibly powerful? Yes. But, I believe that Doctor Strange is even more powerful than Carol, and the Russo bros. found a way to downplay both Strange and the Hulk (two of the strongest characters to exist in the MCU...) in Infinity War.
    And that's my (and other's) gripe about her vs. the other characters. Dr. Strange should be more powerful than her. A fully powered Strange could have easily kept the time stone away from the MCU universe's Thanos forever. The Hulk, who in one movie is body slammed through a high rise with missiles and gets right up, is easily swatted around by Thanos. A body slam that didn't even damage the floor of the ship they were on. Even Thanos, with the gauntlet, has been powered down in this movie. So when they bring in a full powered character at the last second, people are going to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I do believe that she will play a crucial role in the defeat/reversal of Thanos and the events of Infinity War, but it will be a concentrated team effort. Strange kept Tony alive for a reason, and Fury paged Captain Marvel for a reason, so it will be interesting to see how and why these two are essential for the undoing of Thanos.
    She's not part of the team. She won't become part of the team until EndGame. To me it's odd that you'd wait to bring in a character that's supposed to be part of the "team" only in the last movie. Oh wait, that's because they made her so powerful she could have easily ended every other threat they've faced with little help from the rest of the team.

Brie Larson’s “Captain Marvel” continues to do heroic business. In its latest box office milestone, the female-fronted superhero tentpole zoomed past $900 million in ticket sales worldwide.

“Captain Marvel” brought in a mighty $87 million globally this weekend, including $52 million from international territories. It has now generated $589 million overseas for a global haul of $910 million. At the domestic box office, “Captain Marvel” brought in an impressive $35 million during its third weekend of release, bringing its North American tally to $320 million.

It now ranks as the 10th-biggest comic-book release of all time, surpassing the lifetime hauls of superhero movies like “Thor: Ragnarok” ($854 million), “Venom” ($855 million), and “Spider-Man: Homecoming” ($880 million).

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...?.tsrc=fauxdal