Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official Captain Marvel 2019 Movie Thread

I still want a Catwoman movie that's not that Halle Berry hot mess.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Right? That movie was seriously terrible!
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

She-Ra: Never Forget! RockinHard's Avatar
    Brie Larson's acting and presence look AMAZING in this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    It was a decent trailer but it had no real sequences that really grabbed my attention or made my job drop. That being said, I know this is only a teaser trailer so it's had a lot of ground to cover as far as character introductions and story elements go for the general public. However, I was planning on seeing this movie no matter what because of it's role and importance in the current MCU storyline and because I love the inclusion of more Marvel characters into films from Marvel Studios.

I loved that I will see helmeted Captain Marvel (I love that look!) and hints of the Monica Rambeaux "Captain Marvel" as well as the introduction of the Skrulls. I also like Ronan the Accuser and Korath's return, especially Ronan who got a raw deal in Guardians of the Galaxy (he'll get a bit more expansion into his motives/background in this film). I also enjoy seeing the return of Agent Coulson into the MCU and relish the idea of Fury and Coulson meeting for the first time.

So all in all, I feel it was an above average trailer that looks great but only scratches the surface of the probable gold that lays underneath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    Not feelin' it. In comparison, woman to woman wise Wonder Woman looked much better. *Just going by the trailers at this time for both to be fair* Maybe it's just me, but I think it's hard to pull off a female orientated super hero flick. Just looks blah...Nothing too exciting villain wise either IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I pretty much feel the same, probably because I rather prefer Ms Marvel than Captain, and just by the trailers, Brie Larson's performance seems to be a little shallow. Probably it would step up in other movies, like Chris Evnas has owned Captain America from Avengers to CA:Winter Soldier
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    I dunno exactly why, but I just can't muster any interest in this movie. I've enjoyed most of the Marvel movies to various degrees, and this one looks good visually, and has a neat hook of being set before any of the others. But for whatever reason, I just don't care. I'm sure I'll wind up seeing it eventually, but it's just not grabbing my interest like most of the Marvel movies have, even in the early marketing stages. So far, the big takeaway for me is that those are some impressive effects used to de-age Sam Jackson!
    I'm feeling exactly the same way. It might be Marvel fatigue at this point? Mostly I'm just like "Eh, I want to see how they un-do the ending of Infinity War in the next Avengers movie and Captain Marvel just feels like a speed bump to getting there..."
    Maybe if it had come out a few years ago I'd be more "oooh cool!", but right now it doesn't feel like something I need to see opening weekend when it comes out.
    Yeah, while this has the stamp of great production quality that we have come to expect form the MCU I canít get excited for this. It just seems like itís in the way for me to get to the infinity war sequel. Also I was never a huge fan of the chagrin the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Brie Larson's acting and presence look AMAZING in this . . .
    Am I right reading this as sarcasm? LoL

She-Ra: Never Forget! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post

Am I right reading this as sarcasm? LoL
    I would never EVER do that!

and since we're on the topic let's add Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow. A whole movie about Black Widow though? Nah...wouldn't work.
    https://variety.com/2018/film/news/m...er-1202643908/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/1...lett-johansson
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

On one hand I'm surprised, but on the other this is Disney. MILK MILK MILK....It was stated, although this is probably a few years ago now that they would in all likelihood never do standalone films for a handful of characters *BW being one of them.*

With a lot of things coming to an end in the Marvel Universe both story and actor wise I guess this is the result. Seems more of a push to just get stuff out there then "hey we've got a blockbuster on our hands here so let's make it!"

Heck, at this rate maybe they'll change their mind and do another Hulk standalone as well. 6 months after that....Hawkeye..

A whole movie about Black Widow though? Nah...wouldn't work.
    Of course it could.

While they haven't done that much with the character yet in the movies, Black Widow has a terrific backstory and loads of movie potential. Even the terrific AGENT CARTER series did some really good work with the Red Room and the start of the program that created Black Widow.

Heroic Warrior
    I still say Entrapment with Catherine zeta jones and sean Connery was the best Catwoman movie out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Of course it could.

While they haven't done that much with the character yet in the movies, Black Widow has a terrific backstory and loads of movie potential. Even the terrific AGENT CARTER series did some really good work with the Red Room and the start of the program that created Black Widow.
    Not really.

Super sexy spy is the most derivative character of them all. It's been to death from everything to Nikita to Alias to the Bond Femme Fatales. Even in Winter Soldier she points out that she doesn't have much personality, she's 'Whatever she needs to be at the time'.

Even her Ex-Ballerina turned Spy backstory was just robbed by Red Sparrow.... So really there is nothing here that we haven't seen a thousand times in six decades, and has been mostly irrelevant since the collapse of the Berlin Wall.. . The movies have made her popular but before that, Marvel didn't know WHAT to do with her... much like Iron Man. But Black Widow still seems to be the most boring part of any team she's on.

They'll try to make a movie out of her... but they are going to have to REALLY pull out the stops and have an amazing script... because right now they're just trying to skate by on 'woman power' and Scarlett johnasens popularity. Not because of any inherent awesomeness of the character.

Heck, at this rate maybe they'll change their mind and do another Hulk standalone as well. 6 months after that....Hawkeye..
    Um, have you read the recent Hawkeye series by Matt Fraction? It's one of the best books on the shelf right now, not only is it critically acclaimed, but it would make for a fantastic movie/mini-series.

I highly recommend it.

Of course it could.

I completely agree.

There is a reason why we keep paying to see Bond films, and Jason Bourne movies, and John Wick, and Mission Impossible etc. It's because when they are done right, they are fun and exciting movies.

Black Widow would be a fantastic break from the Superhero norm that has taken over Hollywood by keeping the characters more grounded, but it would still draw in the casual and comic-book moviegoers alike.

Of course it could.

Ok, let me put it this way. They "could" make it and then watch it flop at the box office in Marvel/Disney terms. If they don't have high expectations then perhaps it could skate by, but this is Marvel/Disney so I doubt it.

In "general" no ones clamoring for a Black Widow solo flick. The die hards will see it along with a few others and that will be the end of it. I'm sure they'll pump the trailer full of cameos to get you in there, but well...you know that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Um, have you read the recent Hawkeye series by Matt Fraction? It's one of the best books on the shelf right now, not only is it critically acclaimed, but it would make for a fantastic movie/mini-series.

I highly recommend it.
    I haven't, but that doesn't mean that it's movie/box office worthy. Why do you think that Daredevil and Punisher are on Netflix and not in the theaters? People love those series, BUT STILL they just can't crack the big screen with them. All the DC stuff on CW Green Arrow etc. same thing. Hawkeye IS RIGHT in that category. TV series at best. They're side characters AND they've been tried how many times and it just doesn't work.

It's not like a bunch of these characters aren't fun/cool/wanted whatever you wanna call it, but I'm referring to an actual solo theatrical big budget movie here.

It's the same case for Black Widow IMO. She's cool and I like her, but a solo movie? That's a lot to ask.

In "general" no ones clamoring for a Black Widow solo flick. The die hards will see it along with a few others and that will be the end of it. I'm sure they'll pump the trailer full of cameos to get you in there, but well...you know that goes.
    You mean like how people were clamoring for Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man flicks?

Ok, let me put it this way. They "could" make it and then watch it flop at the box office in Marvel/Disney terms. If they don't have high expectations then perhaps it could skate by, but this is Marvel/Disney so I doubt it.

It's the same case for Black Widow IMO. She's cool and I like her, but a solo movie? That's a lot to ask.
    I feel like you're overestimating your feel for what the public does and doesn't want. I also think you're underestimating Marvel/Disney's ability to put out a solid movie.

Other than those two things I also think you're forgetting that, for the most part, none of the Marvel movies have really been stand alone movies. Whether it's co-starring another hero, or really good villains, there's going to be more to a Marvel movie than just a Black Widow "spy movie".

I think Marvel can surprise the crap out of us with the quality of movie they can produce now.

You mean like how people were clamoring for Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man flicks?
    How are you even remotely comparing Guardians to Black Widow. Guardians is a group of characters and comedy always sells. From the moment that trailer dropped people were on board with it. Guardians has/had MASS appeal with ALL demographics the moment they were exposed. BW also exposed, and is out there MANY times over. I'm sorry, but I 'm not seeing the same mass appeal/some burning want among the masses for a solo movie. Two totally different things.

On to Ant Man...Are you really using Ant Man as your argument?.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I feel like you're overestimating your feel for what the public does and doesn't want. I also think you're underestimating Marvel/Disney's ability to put out a solid movie.

Other than those two things I also think you're forgetting that, for the most part, none of the Marvel movies have really been stand alone movies. Whether it's co-starring another hero, or really good villains, there's going to be more to a Marvel movie than just a Black Widow "spy movie".

I think Marvel can surprise the crap out of us with the quality of movie they can produce now.
    Ok, we'll just see how it does at the box office then. There's no sense in us going back and forth speculating. We can re-visit it when the numbers are in although, that can still be deceiving. The interweaving of the story lines within the movies are a draw in itself no matter whom the movie is about.

Marvel/Disney has worked that aspect in masterfully. To have an element in each movie that ties it into another brings a certain amount of people in regardless of the character.

For instance, I don't think that the Captain Marvel movie looks like anything special and under normal circumstances wouldn't see it in the theater, but to see how it plays in with everything else it might draw me in. That's an element that can be deceiving to the numbers.

So where's the success really coming from here? On the face it looks like it's the character, but in my case as well as many others it's due to the tie ins within the story.

I'm not doubting that a BW movie could be fun especially with a lot of the elements that you mentioned incorporated. Marvel rarely disappoints with this kinda stuff. I simply question the validity of a solo flick. Needless to say it won't be the first nor the last time we see it.

I would watch a Black Widow movie, but I think they did so much of her back story in the other flicks it might be redundant.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    It seems like the "general public" does not care about certain characters and like's "certain one's" or picks which one "they like"

Good I'll take all the Marvel/Dc/Dark Horse/Valiant etc. Comic Book movies because I grew up with them and actually KNOW them...Bring it on!

I had no knowledge of GotG when I first saw the trailer. I was thinking 'This movie looks TERRIBLE! A talking racoon and tree?' Then I watched it and absolutely loved it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I had no knowledge of GotG when I first saw the trailer. I was thinking 'This movie looks TERRIBLE! A talking racoon and tree?' Then I watched it and absolutely loved it.
    That was a lot of people's reaction. Same with Ant-man. The most genius thing that Marvel did was their 'combined universe' with bits and pieces of the Infinity gems scattered around the franchise. Most of the people I know, knew NOTHING about Guardians but were afraid to 'miss out' on some important easter egg. And they were right to. Guardians had a LOT of exposition about the stones in that show. Ant-man... not as much but everyone who saw them loved them... Though to be fair a COUPLE of people I knew said 'TALKING RACCOON WITH A GUN??? ROCK ON!!!!

Marvel has a reputation now of taking the weirdest, silliest, most obscure things and making solid blockbusters out of them They haven't actually had a BAD movie since the MCU started. I think BW could be the first... but if anyone CAN pull it off, it would be Marvel.

I DO think they need to have some kind of connective tissue after Avengers 4 though. They need to lead up to Secret Wars or Something to keep that 'MUST SEE' thing going... otherwise they'll fall into the DC trap of "meh... don't care about suicide squad, easy skip...."

A whole movie about Black Widow though? Nah...wouldn't work.
    Marvel/Disney has worked that aspect in masterfully. To have an element in each movie that ties it into another brings a certain amount of people in regardless of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Most of the general populace had no knowledge of the Guardians of the Galaxy... especially this particular version of them. (The GotG have gone through a number of rosters...)

But, that's the beauty of it. When a movie is done well, and with the right amount of skill and passion, it can be a sleeper-blockbuster!

And this is exactly why a well-done Hawkeye or Black Widow or Kate Bishop or Spider Woman or Wonder Man, etc. movie would be awesome - because it's what people don't expect that generates the most interest.

GOTG and Ant-Man in particular appeal to two different audiences. This is where I see something like Black Widow falling short for a lesser know character/franchise which is why I've said what I've said for a mainstream solo flick. Black Widow defiantly has one of the audiences that I'm about to mention, but not so much the other which hurts it in the marketing dept. Also, as stated, she's been out there already so much that they've let the cat out of the bag in certain regard.

Those two movies were funny and SUPER gimmicky which helps the sale, but it can still be tough as Ant-Man is regarded as just ok at best box office wise.

A talking raccoon, walking tree, a guy that can shrink, grow, run around with actual ants, all the cool special effects, laughs etc . It's just family fun. How many people went to see it for that reason alone and not so much the Easter Eggs? You've got kids that see the trailer that don't know jack about the story line for the most part and could care less that want to see it and parents themselves that aren't really following it or could care less, but just see the movie as family fun and must see.

Then you've got the other group like us, that actually pays attention to all of these little nuances and wants everything that comes with it ALONG with just about any character. There's much less of the over-all market for JUST that.

The real goal when making these is to really try to nail down both of those audiences PLUS if possible.

P.S.

I can't quote your emojis Ornclown so hopefully this clarifies my point. Not sure where the confusion is from. The Easter Egg and cross over element in these movies is always there and brings "a certain amount" people in regardless of the character BUT, the question is if it's enough?

I personally don't think so. Hey, it's not impossible, but I think you'll strike out more then you'll get a hit on this sorta thing.

I'm just saying that I think you need some other things going on there to draw more people/demographics to the "lesser characters" of the franchise, such as those attributes listed with GOTG and Ant-Man.
    Last edited by Riddle of Steel; December 10, 2018 at 10:08pm.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I do not think there is much interest in a Black Widow movie. Part of what makes the character interesting is that she is a cypher. If you show her past, then she is no longer mysterious. I think the closest they could come is a Captain America/Black Widow espionage movie like Winter Soldier.

"I like Santa!" Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I do not think there is much interest in a Black Widow movie. Part of what makes the character interesting is that she is a cypher. If you show her past, then she is no longer mysterious. I think the closest they could come is a Captain America/Black Widow espionage movie like Winter Soldier.
    Well, I agree that a Black Widow movie that goes into her origins (beyond that which has been alluded to in the existing films) would not be something that I would want to see.

But I wouldn't necessarily mind a movie that takes place in "present day" and is connected into the next phase of the MCU (or whatever they are going to collectively call the post-phase 3/post- Avengers 4 films), and is just her going on some kind of mission akin to what you described, but maybe without Captain America coming along (not that I would have a problem with him being there, but I'm not sure how many of the original "main four" MCU heroes - Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, and Thor - are going to be in future movies beyond Avengers 4).

They could possibly have other MCU characters in supporting roles, kind of like Hulk appearing in Thor Ragnarok. Maybe have the someone like Falcon, War Machine, or Dr. Strage, etc. in there as well.

Captain Marvel seems to have a pretty good story so far plus you can see where it's links to the end of Infinity War's post credit scene. Not everyone will agree but I like that it takes place in the 90's. There's a lot you can do with that.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    Captain Marvel seems to have a pretty good story so far plus you can see where it's links to the end of Infinity War's post credit scene. Not everyone will agree but I like that it takes place in the 90's. There's a lot you can do with that.
    Yes like the Kree/Skrull war....