Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Captain Marvel 2019 Movie Thread

I really liked the Wonder Woman movie. Captain Marvel is no Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Stinkor; March 7, 2019 at 09:46pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    I really liked the Wonder Woman movie. Captain Marvel is no Wonder Woman.
    You've seen it already?!

What did you think? Is it good? And is it integral to Avengers End Game??
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    You've seen it already?!

What did you think? Is it good? And is it integral to Avengers End Game??
    I should have been clearer. I was comparing the two characters, not the films.

I just got back from seeing it. It was good. Not great, but good. The super duper girl power thing was more of a marketing ploy. The movie itself didn't lay it on nearly as thick as the marketing. I still don't think Brie Larson was the best pick for the lead role. But I felt the same way about Iron Fist and still was able to enjoy it anyway.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I just got back from seeing it. It was good. Not great, but good. The super duper girl power thing was more of a marketing ploy. The movie itself didn't lay it on nearly as thick as the marketing. I still don't think Brie Larson was the best pick for the lead role. But I felt the same way about Iron Fist and still was able to enjoy it anyway.
    With out spoilers would you say it is an important piece before viewing End Game? Or can we enjoy End Game without seeing this? How much of a tie in is there?

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    I 100% agree with this. The Avengers do NOT need to be bailed out by Captain Marvel. Dr. Strange saw one outcome that would change the tide and he saw Tony in that outcome or he would have never handed over the stone.

I am all for girl power, but this whole 'The Future is Female,' 'The Force is Female,' 'The (insert whatever here) is Female' feels forced and I feel like I am being pandered to not empowered.
    Icey, I fully agree with you. The whole forced girl power thing of the Captain Marvel marketing is way too much and may be pushing some people away.. The thing they did when the word "hero" was on screen and the letter "e" faded away first leaving behind the "her" is just soooooo cheesey and lame and forced and eyeroll-inducing.

I don't remember the marketing for the Wonder Woman movie was like this. Was it?

Anyway, I'm still seeing Captain Marvel. Shrug.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Icey, I fully agree with you. The whole forced girl power thing of the Captain Marvel marketing is way too much and may be pushing some people away.. The thing they did when the word "hero" was on screen and the letter "e" faded away first leaving behind the "her" is just soooooo cheesey and lame and forced and eyeroll-inducing.

I don't remember the marketing for the Wonder Woman movie was like this. Was it?

Anyway, I'm still seeing Captain Marvel. Shrug.
    I honestly do not pay too much attention to marketing, so I am not sure. I know there was a lot of backlash from 'feminists' because Gal had shaved armpits. The film was also banned in several Muslim countries because Gal is Israeli. I do not think WW would have gotten the same accolades from that crew because there were capable men in the movie.

Wonder Woman was amazing, it had heart, Gal made you believe. She was not cocky or in your face about how capable she was, she just did what she had to do. I have said this before, but every single time I watch the movie and she crosses 'No Man's Land' I cry. It is such a beautiful moment in the film and for every single little girl who grew up dreaming she was WW.

If people wanted they could take that particular scene and make it all about feminism. The only person capable of crossing 'No Man's Land' was a woman and what not, but you do not need to. Wonder Woman was a movie about a strong woman, but they did not beat you over the head with feminism. There were quirky lines and moments where the subject was discussed, but it was not preachy and they did not have to tear down men to do it.

I could be wrong, but I do not think Captain Marvel is going to have the heart that WW had.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Heroic Warrior
    don't they realize that this type of thing turns audiences off big time?

Disney is so concerned about this movie that they are allegedly trying to disable live streams when they get to review territory with copyright strikes,
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

I honestly do not pay too much attention to marketing, so I am not sure. I know there was a lot of backlash from 'feminists' because Gal had shaved armpits. The film was also banned in several Muslim countries because Gal is Israeli. I do not think WW would have gotten the same accolades from that crew because there were capable men in the movie.

Wonder Woman was amazing, it had heart, Gal made you believe. She was not cocky or in your face about how capable she was, she just did what she had to do. I have said this before, but every single time I watch the movie and she crosses 'No Man's Land' I cry. It is such a beautiful moment in the film and for every single little girl who grew up dreaming she was WW.

If people wanted they could take that particular scene and make it all about feminism. The only person capable of crossing 'No Man's Land' was a woman and what not, but you do not need to. Wonder Woman was a movie about a strong woman, but they did not beat you over the head with feminism. There were quirky lines and moments where the subject was discussed, but it was not preachy and they did not have to tear down men to do it.

I could be wrong, but I do not think Captain Marvel is going to have the heart that WW had.
    What I appreciated about Gal's WW was that she was confident and brave enough to show vulnerability at moments. It made her identifiable and human. Heros over come fear, self doubt, their own short comings to win the day. When the hero is perfect it makes for a static protagonist.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; March 8, 2019 at 03:08pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    With out spoilers would you say it is an important piece before viewing End Game? Or can we enjoy End Game without seeing this? How much of a tie in is there?
    Well, I didn't see anything in the main movie itself that looked like it would tie in directly to Avengers End Game. There are some things that tie into the entire MCU. The mid-credits scene has a tiny hint of a tie-in to Avengers End Game in a similar fashion to how the post-credits scene in Avengers Infinity War tied in to Captain Marvel. If you're OK just accepting that Captain Marvel shows up in End Game and is super duper powerful and you don't care to know what her backstory is then I suppose you could skip it. But really, the movie isn't that bad. It's just not outstanding. With Brie Larson, it's mediocre. With someone else in the lead it could have been much better. I think the story was great. I was really rooting for all the other characters. I thought the story was great. There were some good twists. And not The Last Jedi kind of twists, but actual good ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    don't they realize that this type of thing turns audiences off big time?

Disney is so concerned about this movie that they are allegedly trying to disable live streams when they get to review territory with copyright strikes,
    Having seen the movie, it doesn't appear as though Marvel or the director set out to make a feminist movie. It was pretty much just the marketing that did it. Really, Brie Larson doesn't come off as a feminist in the movie. She just has a sort of smug arrogance to her. But maybe that's my own personal bias having already heard and read all the crap the actress has said. To be fair, Chris Evans has said some crap too but I still enjoy seeing him as Steve Rogers. But maybe that's because I liked him first as Captain America before he started running his mouth off but with Brie Larson, she ran her mouth off before I saw her in an MCU movie. I think Brie Larson wanted to make this movie into something it wasn't but Marvel and the director pretty much kept it in check. It feels like a standard cookie-cutter Marvel origins movie. I said it before, I think Brie Larson's performance can best be compared to Finn Jones' portrayal of Iron Fist. It just wasn't the right casting choice. And that's a shame because I think it is an otherwise good movie.
    Last edited by FAKER II; March 8, 2019 at 02:02pm.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I just saw it, and really liked it!!!!

Well, I didn't see anything in the main movie itself that looked like it would tie in directly to Avengers End Game. There are some things that tie into the entire MCU. The mid-credits scene has a tiny hint of a tie-in to Avengers End Game in a similar fashion to how the post-credits scene in Avengers Infinity War tied in to Captain Marvel. If you're OK just accepting that Captain Marvel shows up in End Game and is super duper powerful and you don't care to know what her backstory is then I suppose you could skip it. But really, the movie isn't that bad. It's just not outstanding. With Brie Larson, it's mediocre. With someone else in the lead it could have been much better. I think the story was great. I was really rooting for all the other characters. I thought the story was great. There were some good twists. And not The Last Jedi kind of twists, but actual good ones.

Having seen the movie, it doesn't appear as though Marvel or the director set out to make a feminist movie. It was pretty much just the marketing that did it. Really, Brie Larson doesn't come off as a feminist in the movie. She just has a sort of smug arrogance to her. But maybe that's my own personal bias having already heard and read all the crap the actress has said. To be fair, Chris Evans has said some crap too but I still enjoy seeing him as Steve Rogers. But maybe that's because I liked him first as Captain America before he started running his mouth off but with Brie Larson, she ran her mouth off before I saw her in an MCU movie. I think Brie Larson wanted to make this movie into something it wasn't but Marvel and the director pretty much kept it in check. It feels like a standard cookie-cutter Marvel origins movie. I said it before, I think Brie Larson's performance can best be compared to Finn Jones' portrayal of Iron Fist. It just wasn't the right casting choice. And that's a shame because I think it is an otherwise good movie.
    Thanks. Appreciate it. I was always more of a Monica Rambeau fan anyway. I heard the film, or a least the star was flat so if there isn't any dire piece of the End Game puzzle in the movie I'll catch it on cable.

All the usual online naysaying doesn’t seem to be hindering the film’s performance. Going to check it out tomorrow.
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...ay-1203158181/

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    What I appreciated about Gal's WW was that she was confident and brave enough to show vulnerability at moments. It made her identifiable and human. Heros over come fear, self doubt, their own short comings to win the day. When the hero is perfect it makes for a static protagonist.
    Yes! I had my doubts when they cast her in the role. My only point of reference for her prior was the F&F franchise and she was skeletal in those movies (not really Amazonian like). I thought she was amazing. She was really the best thing about some of the other flicks too. I just adore her and I am really looking forward to the next movie because it is set in the 80's.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I just saw it, and really liked it!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    All the usual online naysaying doesn’t seem to be hindering the film’s performance. Going to check it out tomorrow.
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...ay-1203158181/
    Got my tickets for Saturday Morning!! Can't wait!!

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar

See you shouldn't compare this movie to Wonder Woman...totally different vibe and setting all female leads films should NOT be the same remember she is an alien/human hybrid on an alien world unlike wonder woman who was always on earth and is part god...

And will people stop with the picking sides? I grew up with BOTH and both marvel and dc at times had stinker tv shows and movies this modernized picking sides is stupid...I've glad I like both but will admit when something is good or bad this one was good but you can't compare it to WW just because they both had female leads...

Just got back and thought it was a blast... I appreciated how the story unfolded in terms of addressing origin, backstory, and the like without everything being presented in a chronological order. What is this- the 21st Marvel movie? That's kind of insane when you think about it and it's amazing that they can find an angle to still keep these origin type of stories still feeling fresh and not quite so formulaic. I think Black Panther is my personal favorite out of all of them, and so it's going to be hard for anything that comes after that to top it for me... but this one was quite good, especially for a character that I didn't really have any interest in or much prior knowledge of (aside from some of the animated series appearances years back). I loved her and Fury's relationship, and in general felt like all of the characters worked well together. Curious what happens with the next Avengers. This movie was a good time... I feel like going into Avengers is going to be sort of a depressing drag again, ha ha.

I wasn't picking sides, I have not point of reference for Captain Marvel. I did not even know she existed until the first trailer for the movie I like both DC AND Marvel.

I wasn't picking sides, I have not point of reference for Captain Marvel. I did not even know she existed until the first trailer for the movie I like both DC AND Marvel.
    Yes but too many people like to pick sides and I hate that I grew up on both and know most of the characters....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See you shouldn't compare this movie to Wonder Woman...totally different vibe and setting all female leads films should NOT be the same remember she is an alien/human hybrid on an alien world unlike wonder woman who was always on earth and is part god...

And will people stop with the picking sides? I grew up with BOTH and both marvel and dc at times had stinker tv shows and movies this modernized picking sides is stupid...I've glad I like both but will admit when something is good or bad this one was good but you can't compare it to WW just because they both had female leads...
    Maybe practice what is being preached?

No problem in comparison, in reality, eveything is being compared to something.... we just have to be respectful in others opinion while bejng sensitive on how we express that opinion.

Oh, and I love both too. Growing up when this superheroes are most of the time in comicbooks only, and for "geeks" life is simpler and no need to choose but only to enjoy.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

7/10

It’s not a bad movie at all. As a stand alone film it’s a typical run of the mill cosmic superhero film but for a younger audience than where we find ourselves at this stage of the MCU. It’s got a pre Russo bros vibe. What didn’t work for me was trying to force it to fit into the current state of the MCU. It would have been better off being left without any tie ins as a stand alone film. It works better by itself.

It was well done but bland and predictable, like an early 2000s super hero film. I can’t say a bad thing about it but it didn’t really wow me. The bar for the Marvel cosmic universe has been set very high by James Gunn and Taika. It doesn’t really rise to that challenge. It lacks a distinct director’s signature, and feels a bit generic. Maybe that’s the effect of two directors? By all means take your little ones to go see it, the kids will enjoy it, but anyone vested in the MCU larger picture may want to wait for cable.

I’d like to knock down a couple common detractors that I read before seeing it. The 90s references felt ok and natural, not to forced to me. They didn’t bother me. (Nevermind on vinyl though? Nope in that time it was CD or nothing, sorry hipsters) Jude Law was good, I read a lot of bad reviews about him but I liked him in his role. Jackson is as good as he is in every MCU film but the writing did knocked him down to comic relief and that bothered me. That’s on the writers though. The cat is was very over rated per the reviews I read. Larson isn’t horrible but was not well chosen for the role. She seems to have trouble dropping her arrogance to be human or vanish into the role and it’s hard to like her. To quote someone else I read, she is to devoid of self deprivation to like. It’s like trying to be friends with the class president. Mendelsohn is fantastic. He really steals the show. Honestly the guy saves the movie for me.

There are more than a handful of cringe moments that come off clunky, like a made for TV movie. They can kick you out of the story for a minuet. Almost like you would expect a character to look at the camera and wink. But what made the movie hard to get invested in was how Uber powerful our protagonist is. Imagine a Superman movie without Kryptonite or Zod. The stakes are never high, there is never a second where you fear for any of the heroes and it sort of comes across like a kids movie in that regard. It would fit in with the earlier MCU origin films but in the post Winter Soldier era where the tension and action is high this feels a little late to the party.

By all means take the kids. It works as a superhero movie for little girls but that’s about it.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; March 9, 2019 at 10:26pm.

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    You are asking for a miracle that no being, no matter how powerful, could possibly fulfill.

As for the movie, I saw it tonight. It was pretty good. Not one of the best MCU films, but still very entertaining. It was a flood of 90s nostalgia, especially the music. I LOVED Stan Lee's cameo in this and the reference that happens in it. I also enjoyed

the tribute to him with the Marvel logo at the beginning and the thank you message... I actually teared up a bit at that.

Wow... this movie is awesome! I really enjoyed it and cannot wait to see it again!

Brie Larson totally nailed the character... after seeing the movie this morning, I actually have a hard time thinking of someone else filling the role.

I can't wait to see what the studio has planned for Captain Marvel after Endgame... I really want to see more of her, the Skrulls, and the Kree.

Also, it was refreshing not having to juggle multiple heroes and just focus on one characters development throughout the movie (although a couple of other cast members get some cool origin nods...)

@ Dynamo

I wonder if the Stan Lee tribute will play before all of this years MCU movies?

Last edited by Ornclown; March 9, 2019 at 11:39pm.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post

No problem in comparison, in reality, eveything is being compared to something.... we just have to be respectful in others opinion while bejng sensitive on how we express that opinion.

Oh, and I love both too. Growing up when this superheroes are most of the time in comicbooks only, and for "geeks" life is simpler and no need to choose but only to enjoy.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    How come you only post with a snip at me? Don't have anything better to do? Keep the topic at hand ok? I only care about opinions that do not try and take a swipe at people (like you always do) got it?