Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: DreamWorks unveils She-Ra and the Princesses of Power season 1 trailer

Grammer Flunky
    based on how this show is going, i'm not surprised if it would be. surprised hordak and bo and sea hawk even got speaking roles.

In regards to Bow, he is not an "idea" or a concept, he was an actual character. Now if in the original series, there was a position called "The Bow of the Rebellion", then yes, he could be changed into anyone.

I don't like racebending because I think specific characters' race and ethnicity are essential to who they are. Why didn't Stevenson make She-Ra into a Black woman? I think She-Ra's iconic looks mean she is an existing character. Incidentally, I also flipped out when Marvel race and gender bent most of it's comic book heroes, turning every hero into a "mantle" to be put on like a coat instead of intrinsic to the character's identity.

He wasn't a complete buffoon in the original series, he was a dapper, masculine dude who was silly at times. This new version is simply "The Black sidekick" who is there mostly for laughs. Seahawk is reduced in stature physically and the smooth, suave, in control pirate is now replaced by an (seemingly) effeminate loon. I am also guessing that any romance between he and Adora will be shelved for an Adora X Catra pairing.

Noelle Stevenson has taken her Lumber Jane and Nimona characters and just put She-Ra character skins on them. For fans of the classic content it's very troubling.

I've always thought this show is going to appeal more to teens and twenty somethings than kids or 1st generation fans for a variety of reasons. Noelle made it sound like the show would be about relationships. 1/3 about friendship, 1/3 about family, and 1/3 romantic relationships. To have 1/3 about romantic relationships is more than a typical kids cartoon. Them debuting the sneak on Teen Vogue's site is telling about what might be their ultimate target audience.

There seems to be some type implied relationship between Adora and Catra that they were more than just friends.

Well thankfully times have changed. PoP and MotU have always been about inclusion. If one is so offended over the concept, why even scheme about finding "alternate" means to watch it for "educational reasons"??? Just don't watch it at all.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    There seems to be some type implied relationship between Adora and Catra that they were more than just friends.
    Really? Where do you get that?
    I am Imp's number one fan.

No, I don't get that about Adora and Catra at all. A deep friendship, yes, but I don't think anything more.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've always thought this show is going to appeal more to teens and twenty somethings than kids or 1st generation fans for a variety of reasons. Noelle made it sound like the show would be about relationships. 1/3 about friendship, 1/3 about family, and 1/3 romantic relationships. To have 1/3 about romantic relationships is more than a typical kids cartoon. Them debuting the sneak on Teen Vogue's site is telling about what might be their ultimate target audience.
    Yeah, looks like relationships is one of the focuses for this series and one of the reasons why it would appeal to those audiences.

Hey guys. Let's everybody try to be a bit more respectful to each other in this thread. If you see a post that you feel violates a rule, you can report it and the moderation team will look into. Don't take matters into your own hands. If you don't like certain posters, I would recommend putting them on your ignore list. Thanks.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I have my fingers crossed for this as well. It would also help PoP in general feel more cut from the same cloth as MOTU- in which we have characters like Buzz-Off, Stratos, and Lizard Man who aren't just wearing beast-like costumes and are not entirely human but fight on the side of good. In all previous PoP stuff, it does seem like women in cosplay versus them being a different bee/butterfly/whatever race. I think the only exception has been Mermista?
    That's a good point, about sharing more similarities with MOTU. I just want to see them avoid a "humans v monsters" simplistic conflict.

There were "beastly" background characters in Queen Angella's castle, so I'm hoping that any new Princesses like Flutterina and Sweet-Bee are introduced, they're open to designs that aren't limited to the addition of aesthetically pretty wings.

In terms of the original series, I think the closest we ever got to different races would have been Huntara and Madame Razz? Even then, it was just their skin colour as opposed their forms. And Granita of course, although she still looked very humanoid apart from her skin colour and hair ... texture?

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post

In terms of the original series, I think the closest we ever got to different races would have been Huntara and Madame Razz? Even then, it was just their skin colour as opposed their forms. And Granita of course, although she still looked very humanoid apart from her skin colour and hair ... texture?
    no, there was also Netossa and Inspector Darkey for starters... and probably more which escape me at the moment..

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    That's a good point, about sharing more similarities with MOTU. I just want to see them avoid a "humans v monsters" simplistic conflict.

There were "beastly" background characters in Queen Angella's castle, so I'm hoping that any new Princesses like Flutterina and Sweet-Bee are introduced, they're open to designs that aren't limited to the addition of aesthetically pretty wings.

The Trolls of Spikeheart were also featured a few times. They even got used as a lesson on tolerance given the human Rebels shunned them. The Trolls even pointed out they'd been ready to help resist the Horde's invasion only to be rebuffed by the humans. I would like to see them revisited.

Widget

Marcus Scribner talks about She-Ra/his character/Bow's dads on "The Sit-Down", a segment on AM to DM by Buzzfeed News.

adtodm.jpg

Relevant parts:

34:34 - 35:07

AND

37:23 - 39:47

https://twitter.com/AM2DM/status/1050748170966249472
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

DreamWorks unveils She-Ra and the Princesses of Power season 1 trailer

I think Iím most excited to see how the relationship evolves between Catra and Adora....what little Iíve seen so far looks promising.

For some stupid reason I scheduled an appointment on November 16th....I need to reschedule so that I can come straight home after work and settle in with Netflix. Iíll probably wait to cancel my Netflix out of disgust until AFTER Iíve seen an episode or two...call me crazy, but I try to wait and judge something until after Iíve seen it, not before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Despara; October 12, 2018 at 01:38pm.

Good article, thanks for posting!

So... I finally saw the trailer today. My daughter and I watched it (she's five) and she seemed interested. Not over the moon, but interested. Here are my positives and negatives:

+ The animation style looks better in motion and with more context. The early stuff/ stills look pretty rough, but this looks pretty decent. Kind of reminds me of the recent Thundercats.
    + I like Catra being an actual cat person. Maybe the name Catra is a bit on the nose here but it works for Elfo in disenchantment, plus this is still MOTU, so I'm OK with it.
    + Hordak and Shadow Weaver look genuinely frightening. I like it.
    + I saw Imp! Now I'm pumped

The Negatives:

- I'm not sure about the dialogue. It sounds very "contemporary" which I think can be off putting in some fantasy and sci-fi. While any creation is going to have trappings of the current era in it (think everyone in Star Wars having sideburns) compare it to Starcrash that just screams the late 70s.
    - Did She-Ra/ Adora just reveal her secret to everyone in the trailer? If this were a continuation sort of series that would be intriguing, but for reboot this seems like a mistake. If I'm misinterpreting this, let me know.
    - The Character designs for the Great Rebellion still aren't gelling with me. For as diverse as the characters are, they just don't jump out at me like the original characters.

I'm interested, but reserved. I definitely am pretty sure this show isn't aimed at me, though. Honestly, comparing what I've seen of it to the other current shows my daughter likes (DC Superhero Girls, Super Monsters, Miraculous), I'm not quite convinced it is for her, either. It definitely seems like it's aiming for a teenage/ early 20s audience.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    So... I finally saw the trailer today. My daughter and I watched it (she's five) and she seemed interested. Not over the moon, but interested. Here are my positives and negatives:

+ The animation style looks better in motion and with more context. The early stuff/ stills look pretty rough, but this looks pretty decent. Kind of reminds me of the recent Thundercats.
    + I like Catra being an actual cat person. Maybe the name Catra is a bit on the nose here but it works for Elfo in disenchantment, plus this is still MOTU, so I'm OK with it.
    + Hordak and Shadow Weaver look genuinely frightening. I like it.
    + I saw Imp! Now I'm pumped

The Negatives:

- I'm not sure about the dialogue. It sounds very "contemporary" which I think can be off putting in some fantasy and sci-fi. While any creation is going to have trappings of the current era in it (think everyone in Star Wars having sideburns) compare it to Starcrash that just screams the late 70s.
    - Did She-Ra/ Adora just reveal her secret to everyone in the trailer? If this were a continuation sort of series that would be intriguing, but for reboot this seems like a mistake. If I'm misinterpreting this, let me know.
    - The Character designs for the Great Rebellion still aren't gelling with me. For as diverse as the characters are, they just don't jump out at me like the original characters.

I'm interested, but reserved. I definitely am pretty sure this show isn't aimed at me, though. Honestly, comparing what I've seen of it to the other current shows my daughter likes (DC Superhero Girls, Super Monsters, Miraculous), I'm not quite convinced it is for her, either. It definitely seems like it's aiming for a teenage/ early 20s audience.
    You and me both. Especially since he was a no show in the MYP series (what, he couldn't have been sitting in Hordak's shoulder).

It does seem as though this time around the Rebellion will know who she is, but I'm more intrigued by the idea that Catra may know as well, given their history. It makes for the possibility of an interesting duel or "I know you're in there" variation in the series. I mean, from Catra's perspective, her friend has been brainwashed.

I am going to give the show a go and reinstate my Netflix for the show.
    While I do not like the designs, I am willing to over look it should the content of story make up for the design, to me.
    I can get behind everyone knowing Adora is She-Ra.
    It's a great leasson in redemption and acceptance. Not such a bad message to be putting out.
    I also think Glimmer will be pivotal role in that, seeing as how she seems a bit aggravated the Adora is so readily accepted.
    Also, as a kid I was always excited for He-Man and She-Ra to finally reveal who they were to everyone...

Southern California. Toy Capital of the World!
    So essentially, some people are all in on this. Some people are cautiously optimistic about it, some people are very much against it, and some people are cautiously pessimistic about it. Sound right?

That about sums it up.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    This thread has had multiple warnings posted to stay on topic however that is not being followed. There is lack of respect, too much politics, & too much talking about each other instead of talking about the show. We will be closing this thread for now for clean up.
    PS4 contact: Petruk1976
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...edback-Thread!