Thread: Taught myself resin casting this weekend

Heroic Warrior

Taught myself resin casting this weekend

While it is rainy season here, my metal casting hobby is on hold so I taught myself how to cast in resin last weekend. For the most part they came out OK and I m happy with the results.

I do have a question for the casting experts o the forum.

I am using the resin type where a catalyst is used and the cast pieces are a bit tacky after they have sat for a few days. I read that this is norml for this type of resin?

Is there a way to get rid of the tacky surface? A varnish or some sort of sealant?

Attachment 118025
    Attachment 118026
    Attachment 118027

Cheers

You need to clean the piece with acetone, after that the piece will lose its shine, so to return the shine it is necessary to use varnish. There are many types of varnish that can serve you, I suggest dealing with more than one so you know which one can serve you best.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by octavio View Post
    You need to clean the piece with acetone, after that the piece will lose its shine, so to return the shine it is necessary to use varnish. There are many types of varnish that can serve you, I suggest dealing with more than one so you know which one can serve you best.
    Thanks. Will give that a try.

Heroic Warrior
    So my first real casts. Pieces are cast individually and then glued together. Although not articulated, I am still happy with the results.

Slime Pit He Man
    Attachment 118211

The three terrors He Man Style.
    Anti, Horde and Slime Pit
    Attachment 118212

And of course Merman
    Attachment 118213
    Last edited by WalkerBoh; November 4, 2018 at 06:49am.

Very cool! They look great - especially the Slime Pit He-man. Some paint details, like eyes/brows and hair, would really make them stand out even more.
    After seeing the Men At Customs translucent figures a while back, I've wanted to get into injection molding and various forms of casting.

Very inspiring to see this kind of work, so please keep posting more pics!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by simensays View Post
    Very cool! They look great - especially the Slime Pit He-man. Some paint details, like eyes/brows and hair, would really make them stand out even more.
    After seeing the Men At Customs translucent figures a while back, I've wanted to get into injection molding and various forms of casting.

Very inspiring to see this kind of work, so please keep posting more pics!
    Thanks mate.

Still working on getting nice clean casts and also using different colours in the same casting. Not brave enough to try the painting yet, but I will definitely give it a try.

The Men At Customs figures are next level quality. One day......

Court Magician
    Those are so sweet bro! Do you think you will be selling any of them or are planning to?

Those are nice, good job sir.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Atolm View Post
    Those are so sweet bro! Do you think you will be selling any of them or are planning to?
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Those are nice, good job sir.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

Working on something big next.

I did try selling a few at cost, but after having a few buyers lodge paypal claims because of small imperfections and being unhappy with the colour once in hand (despite sending photos before posting and payment), I decided that I am just going to do this for myself.

Heroic Warrior
    A few casts that I painted over the weekend. Some of the casts came out with ait bubbles and other defects, but once painted they look like they have seen a few battles.

Slime Powered Elite Guard.
    54407636_10157074676602594_2703306326531899392_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    A few casts that I painted over the weekend. Some of the casts came out with ait bubbles and other defects, but once painted they look like they have seen a few battles.

Slime Powered Elite Guard.
    54407636_10157074676602594_2703306326531899392_n.jpg
    Nice!!!! those look really cool!

There is quite a thriving resin scene on Instagram if you have an account. Lots of MOTU 'inspired' stuff there, and people really dig the efforts of others (even with imperfections). I do a little casting myself here and there. Really dig your pieces! Have you used any inks at all in your coloring process?
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

Unapologetic TEELA fan.
    Check out some of my resin toys! some cool stuff coming soon! http://lordchaoscreations.bigcartel.com/
    This one goes up to 11... When Cannons Fade

Court Magician
    Thanks!

Working on something big next.

I did try selling a few at cost, but after having a few buyers lodge paypal claims because of small imperfections and being unhappy with the colour once in hand (despite sending photos before posting and payment), I decided that I am just going to do this for myself.
    Damn... Some people. Well you have true skill with casting

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderkill View Post
    Nice!!!! those look really cool!

There is quite a thriving resin scene on Instagram if you have an account. Lots of MOTU 'inspired' stuff there, and people really dig the efforts of others (even with imperfections). I do a little casting myself here and there. Really dig your pieces! Have you used any inks at all in your coloring process?
    Thanks.

Yeah I have tried the inks in th resin and have had some really nice results, especially with blues and greens. These guys were cast using the excess resin from other pours (I hate wasting resin) and were multi-multicolored. I used acrylic paint on them and needed at least three coats to get a decent even coat.

Do you have the name of the groups?

I see you are reproducing my trooper sculpt.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I see you are reproducing my trooper sculpt.
    Yep, its my favourite representation of Horde Troopers.

Not selling, just a little army building to build out my Neca Staction collection. Got a couple of Scareglows cooking as well

Looking forward to your Khan.

Court Magician
    LOL...I think you're becoming OBSESSED!!!...lol
    Seriously, this is so damn awesome. I am truly envious!