Thread: Favorite horror anthology movies anyone?

Favorite horror anthology movies anyone?

Since it's Halloween time and we all know shows like Tales from the Crypt, Twilight Zone, Tales from the Darkside, Are you Afraid of the Dark etc.

What about for movies, what are your faves?

Mine are:
    Creepshow 1 & 2.
    Tales from the Darkside the Movie (aka THE TRUE Creepshow 3, accept no substitutes like that crappy in name only cashgrab "sequel" calling itself "Creepshow 3").
    Trick R Treat.
    Black Sabbath.
    Dead of Night 1945.
    Twilight Zone the Movie. (Just for the last 2 segments).
    Asylum.
    Tales from the Crypt the movie.
    Vault of Horror.
    Cat's Eye.
    Tales from the Hood.
    From a Whisper to a Scream.
    Necronomicon: Book of the Dead.
    Trilogy of Terror.
    Body Bags (just for the first and last segments).
    Twice Told Tales.
    Torture Garden.
    Grim Prarie Tales.
    V/H/S 2 (Better than the first).
    ABCs of Death 2. (Better than the first)
    Nightmares.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 12, 2018 at 08:38pm.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Wow! Not too many you left!

You have a few of my favorites up there but one from a few years ago I really enjoyed is Tales of Halloween. It reminds me a bit of Trick 'r Treat but nearly every one of the 10 segments is a different genre. Great cameos in it, too.

There is also a movie called A Christmas Horror Story that is quite fun, and a bit spooky in a few places. I also really liked the first V/H/S. The third one had strong segments but the overarching storyline/ segment was terrible.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Wow! Not too many you left!

You have a few of my favorites up there but one from a few years ago I really enjoyed is Tales of Halloween. It reminds me a bit of Trick 'r Treat but nearly every one of the 10 segments is a different genre. Great cameos in it, too.

There is also a movie called A Christmas Horror Story that is quite fun, and a bit spooky in a few places. I also really liked the first V/H/S. The third one had strong segments but the overarching storyline/ segment was terrible.
    Those are on netflix, i should see those

the Monster Club... one of my all time fav horror in general!

House of the Dead 1978

Torture Garden

Trick R Treat

Cats Eye

Tales from the crypt/ Vault of Horror 1972

Nightmares

3 Extremes

Dr. Terrors house of horrors

Spirits of the Dead

Trilogy of terror

Twice Told Tales

Tales of Halloween

GIMME TOYS!-

3 Extremes is quite nice.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    In the last decade or so, I became a big fan of 50's-70's Hammer Horror films. I pretty much like anything with Peter Cushing and/or Christopher Lee that I've seen.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    In the last decade or so, I became a big fan of 50's-70's Hammer Horror films. I pretty much like anything with Peter Cushing and/or Christopher Lee that I've seen.
    Have you seen House of the Long Shadows? From 1983. It's not an anthology, but it has Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, and Vincent Price (and Desi Arnaz, Jr., lol).
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Have you seen House of the Long Shadows? From 1983. It's not an anthology, but it has Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, and Vincent Price (and Desi Arnaz, Jr., lol).
    You forgot John Carradine
    An insatiable hunger for Hunga!
    Twiggets & Widgets & Garth, Oh my!!
    Articulated Cringer & Catra in Cat form would be Pawsome, too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagnataur View Post
    lol, well, I don't really know him.

However, I just Googled him, and scanning quickly through his filmography, I saw his credits include The Ten Commandments and The Secret of NIMH!
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I have not yet. Recommended?

lol, well, I don't really know him.

However, I just Googled him, and scanning quickly through his filmography, I saw his credits include The Ten Commandments and The Secret of NIMH!
    He played Dracula in House of Dracula & House of Frankenstein, sequels to Universal's Dracula in the 1940s.

If you're looking for a recent horror anthology, that really hits the spot, you should try Ghost Stories (2018). Adapted from the stage show. I went to see this in the West End... brilliant show. They released scents/odours/smells relevant to the story into the audience... really messed with your senses and added to the overall experiences! Obviously, this doesn't happen with the movie, but still stands strong. Stars Martin Freeman. Here's the trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5-S3djB44
    Last edited by Stagnataur; October 18, 2018 at 07:55pm.
    An insatiable hunger for Hunga!
    Twiggets & Widgets & Garth, Oh my!!
    Articulated Cringer & Catra in Cat form would be Pawsome, too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagnataur View Post
    What are your fave horror anthology films?

Heroic Warrior
    I have many of these anthology films, but I MUCH PREFER anthology television series:
    Tales from the Darkside, probably my favorite because its so weird. Crypt of course, but don't forget The Hitchhiker, Monsters, The New Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Night Gallery....

Even the 80s Twilight Zone, never cared much for The Ray Bradbury Theatre though but its OK.

Of course The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits are classics, while mainly science fiction, they did dip into Horror now and again.

For films I think the best ones are
    Tales of Terror
    Twice Told Tales
    Asylum
    From Beyond the Grave
    Crypt and Vault are decent as well.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I have not yet. Recommended?
    Yes, but just know ahead of time it is a very slow/leisurely film. There's not much happening. It's more about mood/mystery/atmosphere, but it's definitely worth a view.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What are your fave horror anthology films?
    Well, I haven't seen many; frankly, I hadn't realized there were so many! lol...actually, I think the only one I've seen is Twice-Told Tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    I have many of these anthology films, but I MUCH PREFER anthology television series:
    Tales from the Darkside, probably my favorite because its so weird. Crypt of course, but don't forget The Hitchhiker, Monsters, The New Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Night Gallery....

Even the 80s Twilight Zone, never cared much for The Ray Bradbury Theatre though but its OK.

Of course The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits are classics, while mainly science fiction, they did dip into Horror now and again.

Tales of Terror
    Twice Told Tales
    Asylum
    From Beyond the Grave
    What about Creepshow?

One of the Virginias, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post

Tales of Terror
    Twice Told Tales
    Asylum
    From Beyond the Grave
    Episodes from "Tales From The Cryptkeeper" are on YouTube for free. Uploaded ever Thursday by the Retro Rerun Channel. Also Donkey Kong Country, 6teen, and if you are in Canada Hey, Arnold.

They will be posting Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Bob and Margaret, Dog City, and Sam and Max soon. There are some other shows as well but those are the ones I remember most.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties. I get comic books, novels, & ViewMaster Reels as well. If you want to discuss this stuff & other things, then PM me here on the .org. I enjoy anime, video games, & sci-fi, too. DC or Marvel, it's all good.

This is a very hard topic. For my wife it would be a toss up between Creepshow and Trick r Treat. While I love Cat's Eye, Twilight Zone (Movie) and Tales from the Darkside.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

http://give.transplants.org/goto/justintrease

Quote Originally Posted by Jobber View Post
    Trick r Treat.
    Hmm, I wouldn't have thought of calling that an anthology, but yeah, I guess it is.

I recorded that last week and gave it a whirl. I absolutely loved the cinematography and setting; it was a perfect showing of a classic Halloween night---but it went into slasher/gore territory, and that's too much for me. So I ended up using the fast forward button some, while trying to savor the feel of the atmosphere.

I cought another Amicus Flims Anthology flick this weekend..

The house that Dripped Blood... it was great... i could watch that stuff all day long!!
    GIMME TOYS!-

Quote Originally Posted by Jobber View Post
    This is a very hard topic. For my wife it would be a toss up between Creepshow and Trick r Treat. While I love Cat's Eye, Twilight Zone (Movie) and Tales from the Darkside.
    What do you think of Creepshow 2, Body Bags, Tales from the Hood, Tales from the Crypt the movie etc?