Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 1 talkback and discussion - *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

I've finished the first 3 episodes.
    I actually really liked it.
    While I do think the original designs are much better, tge story is really making up for it.
    The bright colors and backgrounds really add a lot.
    Onto the next 3...

Heroic Warrior
    I wanna see and hear more from mara.
    The she ra before adora

What do you think of...

Octavia's new look?

octavia1.jpg

octavia2.jpg
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Where did you find It?

I totally missed Octavia

Which episode?

Finally getting to watch. Just finished the first 2 episodes.

Adora seems to have some major gaps in her basic knowledge I'm not entirely sure make sense if the Horde is playing it smart. Princesses being evil, chaotic beings is a nice touch, but why conceal the existence of parties or horses? Especially when the cadets show a certain level of camaraderie (sans Catra who seems like the outsider), and actively congratulate each other. And what exactly did Shadow Weaver think was going to happen when Adora was sent to Thaymoor, that she'd just overlook the civilian structures while mindlessly trying to pound the "fortress." It's like someone had a good idea, but then took it too far to keep the Rebels from seeming incriminating.

Did love Catra purring when she mentioned she wanted to destroy something. And her reaction to the "mouse." That she'd figured out the true nature of the Horde and Shadow Weaver was a nice twist, especially after how the creators have been playing up her and Adora's friendship. Sadly, now that I see it in practice though, it feels somewhat lacking. Like Catra only glommed onto Adora because everyone knew Adora was going places. Hopefully they expand on their relationship and give us more of a reason for the two of them to be friends beyond "were raised together." And is it wrong that I hope Lonny gets to be a more important character. This Catra seems at her best when she has someone to fight against.

Glimmer is pretty cool. Definitely like that she's so free with the teleports this time, even if I question why she must "recharge." Sure OF Glimmer had a stamina problem, but putting it like that could be foreshadowing. I do find it funny that while Adora clearly strains to lift the Sword of Protection, Glimmer has a much easier time holding it. Maybe the sword is still responding to Adora's tainted life over Glimmer's more purely good one?

I said before it seemed like they were making Bow something of a Sokka clone, and I stand by it. On the 0lus side, he also doesn't seem near as much a strawman as others have said. Definitely see shades if the old Flynn-Style hero from the original, though with a toned down ego that should hopefully keep him out of buttmonkey territory.

The plot was rather predictable, but then between being an origin story AND all the leaked footage, I can't say I'm surprised. But still, it was a fun little romp. Gonna have to go through the series proper and see what kind if WMGs I can come up with as everything gets revealed. Already have a doozy of one, but since it relies on information we're not supposed to have, I don't want to post it and spoil for anyone who doesn't know.

Well, off to see more.

Edit: Found Loo-Kee!
    Last edited by Asher Tye; November 13, 2018 at 08:40pm.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Just watched the first two - brilliant!
    Loved the Adora/Catra interplay. Bow 2.0 was my favourite, I knew he would be. Can’t wait to meet the rest of the cast in Episode 3. Interesting move not having Hordak in at the start builds mystery.
    Surprised Horde troopers were human. Lighthope seems similar to The Sorceress, can’t wait to see how that all ties together. Was the Crystal Castle destroyed? So many things o.O

So I binged every episode today (I took off of work sick). While some episodes were border line bad (like the Entrapta castle one), over all I am very, very impressed! My favorite character is actually Scorpia! She may be dumb but there is a lot going on with her back story. I really, really like the dynamic between Catra and Adora, very complex and a lot of gray area. And the last episode was very cliche but I loved it for that!

I am just over the moon with this show and am really looking forward to the next season!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    So scorpia is definitv a lesbian
    So os netossa and spinderlla

A gay seahawk and gay looking catra

Why do they do this?

Is there a reason?

Iíve only watched through episode 5 (where you meet Scorpia and Seahawk), and iím wondering where you got that they were gay?

Not that I have a problem with varied orientations (in fact Iím all for diversity), I didnít catch anything that defined them as gay. Yes, Scorpia was amazon-like, but she was also quite butch in the original series ó remember that voice? And, Seahawk is flamboyant, but flamboyant does not equal gay. Especially when he referenced riding in the Love Tunnel with Mermista.

Again, being flamboyant or butch is totally fine, and so is being gay, I just wouldnít automatically assume one means the other.

Or do they discuss this more in future episodes?

Okay so clearly they're going for Han Solo when it comes to Sea Hawk.

And is that She-Go doing Scorpia?! AWESOME!

Widget
    Super excited to hear Octavia appears in later episodes. I'm only on ep. 5 (Mermista ep).

I love the relationship between Adora and Catra. Definitely the show's strongest aspect.

I'm a fan of Bow, but it does irritate me how these shows always have the male character be the lighthearted comic relief.

I really disliked Glimmer at first, especially her design, but she's grown on me. Angella has a great design though.

Hordak is far more menacing in this show than he ever was in the original. I dig it.

Sea Hawk is great fun. I was getting major bi vibes from him, for the record (in terms of his sexuality).

Mermista was one of my favorites in the original but not a fan of her look here. I hope her personality will grow on me.

Shadow Weaver would look much cooler without the ears showing.

Where's Leech?!

Scorpia has a great design but I'm not loving her carefree attitude.

Perfuma was a poor choice to start off with. She was just so zany and ridiculous. My boyfriend hates her.

I also really like Angella's general with the scar across her face. And hope we see more of Spinnerella and Netossa soon.

I must confess that I have not watched the New She-Ra series episodes yet (I've been a little busy with a lot of different things), but I hope to watch it all soon. I don't know if I'll be "binge watching" but I'll definitely have watched it by the weekend.

I just had to add that Octavia looks amazing, and I'm so glad Tallstar mentioned Sweet Bee and Peekablue. I was afraid they would be left out. Since there has been mention of The Star Sisters, my only concern now is where are Double Trouble and Flutterina?
    Last edited by Mikey; November 13, 2018 at 09:55pm.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

A part of me wonders why the character designers made so many asymetical models for the characters.

Widget
    Just finished the season (was lucky enough to work from home this morning, phew). There's a lot I really like about it, a couple things I love, and a few things I'm shaky on. Like most critics I feel like the show picked up in the back half of the season, and dang, Princess Prom was boss.

I think my two big negatives were mentioned by other folks already...

*The Entrapta intro ep feels really flat, and in general I don't know what to make of her arc.
    *The theme song is indeed awful. I skip it every time. There's some article on Bustle saying it's a tribute to '80s power ballads. Nah dawg. Gonna put on some late-era Heart // pretend Roxette's "Listen to Your Heart" is the theme song instead.

I also kinda feel like the first season should've been double the length, with all the stuff there's still to explore... the finale didn't 100% do it for me. But I'm absolutely invested already, and I kinda think there's nowhere to go but up.

But other than that, man, I really dug this ride. Very happy She-Ra is back and I hope kids love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian View Post

Perfuma was a poor choice to start off with. She was just so zany and ridiculous. My boyfriend hates her.
    I loved this choice, honestly!

Perfuma's ep felt like this series' version of "Duel at Devlan" - She-Ra has to convince a village to stand up for themselves. Except this time they're hippies instead of cowards.
    I thought that was kind of a neat twist!
    Last edited by EricButRebooted; November 13, 2018 at 11:03pm.
    My podcast (note: very political, very bad jokes): http://www.nerdologues.com/podcasts/...gressive-power

We have about 4 episodes left to watch. Overall I really like what Iím seeing so far, and my daughter loves it. I will say that I found my attention wandering during the Entrapta episode.

I would like to see them go into a little more detail as to why Catra was raised in the Horde.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished episode 11.
    I'll have to save the last 2 for tomorrow.
    I really like it.
    TBH, I think it would be great for kids 5-10, yet, parents can totally watch and even laugh.
    Bow is hilarious. He really is the best part to me.
    I like Glimmer's character better in this show.

Heroic Warrior
    one of the things i like about this show is Sea Hawk. mainly the parts about him lighting boats on fire. (is that a sign of pyromania?)

Heroic Warrior
    Mermista is that kind if woman I would get into trouble with
    Gosh how much I dislike girls like her.
    She truly is totally unsympatic.

All in all this is very much for girls and their problems ...less mystic and magic

Watched the entire season! And I must say WOW...it was fantastic! Some real funny moments and some moments gave me goosebumps! Especially when they discuss the 1st ones. I hope this show lasts for at least 100 episodes

I'm only on episode seven; is there any backstory revealed about the Horde?

This creepiness is everything!

Who is that, Tallstar?

Vultak
    perhaps or has Hordak gone bonkers?
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

The Good: The Story
    The Bad: The voices and some of the wonky characterizations
    The Ugly: The character designs and the childish, Steven Universe animation, don't love that Glimmer is a bigger girl, sorry. Don't like that bow is frail, (don't mind him black actually) but would prefer him more manly and muscley, he's whimpy looking. And please fem She-ra's look up more. I guess I'm just looking for more adult looking characters instead of kids. This is something that's bugging me.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

From the clips I've seen (I'll be watching the episodes soon enough) the characterisations look amazing and Glimmer and Bow look and sound great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Who is that, Tallstar? perhaps or has Hordak gone bonkers?

Shadow Weaver with the mask off.

I always wondered what Shadow Weaver looked like under her hood in the original series and under the mask in the new series. Now I'm going to have nightmares.