Thread: HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie franchise idea

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie franchise idea

I have my own vision of a possible He-Man movie franchise, building up a world like they did with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    Everything takes place on Eternia, a world where magic and technology are one. There's no going to Earth here, nor a love story between Courtney Cox and Robert Duncan McNeill.

The stories will focus on Prince Adam's journey as He-Man, and many of the original supporting characters, and the never-ending battle to save Eternia against Skeletor and the forces of evil.

I would like the vibe for a possible MOTU movie franchise to be colorful and fun and optimistic, with lots of epic action and adventure, with an Avengers movie type feel, while also adding the dark and horror elements of the original concept of MOTU.

FIRST FILM:

TITLE: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Power of Grayskull.

The first film will tell the origins of He-Man and Skeletor. King Randor's backstory will also be part of the story. The King Grayskull story will act as a prologue.

It will follow the fun-loving Prince Adam's journey to becoming He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe, and his first battle with the evil Skeletor. Would like to see He-Man becoming a leader and symbol of hope for the Eternians.

Original characters such as Man-at-Arms, Teela, Battle Cat, Evil-Lyn and Beast Man and original characters from the first waves of the original toyline will be supporting characters. Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain will also be in the film.

SECOND FILM:

TITLE: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 2: The Snake Men Unleashed.

The next film will take one year after the events of the first film.

He-Man and his fellow Masters must prepare for the invasion of the Snake Men, an ancient army of serpentine warriors, led by the vile King Hssss.

This film would also see the fall of Skeletor and his minions, as King Hssss reclaims the throne of Snake Mountain.

Other characters such as Zodak, Buzz-Off, Webstor, Stinkor, and the original Snake Men warriors will be introduced.

THIRD FILM:

TITLE: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 3: Return of the Evil Horde.

The next film will take two years after the events of the second film.

He-Man and the Masters must reluctantly join forces with old enemies to once again save Eternia from the return of the Evil Horde, led by their ruthless leader Hordak.

This film will also focus on the origin story of She-Ra, and Teela's ascension to becoming the new Sorceress of Grayskull.

Other characters such as Clamp Champ, Moss Man and Scareglow will appear.

FOURTH FILM

TITLE: The Legend of She-Ra

It will take place between the events of Return of the Evil Horde and The Last Battle.
    The fourth film will tie into the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe franchise, a lot like the Filmation series. It will solely focus on She-Ra bringing back hope and freedom to Etheria.

After reuniting with her twin brother He-Man and defeating Hordak, She-Ra returns to Etheria to help the Rebellion fight against the remaining forces of the Evil Horde, led by her childhood friend turned archenemy Catra.

Will feature other POP characters such as Glimmer, Bow, Queen Angella, Swift Wind etc.

FIFTH FILM

TITLE: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 4: The Ultimate Battleground

It will take place six months after the events of the third film and the final film of the franchise.

The story will be about Skeletor returning to Eternia, more powerful than ever, on a final quest to acquire the powers of Grayskull.

He-Man engages on the fight of his life, reuniting old friends and allies from across the universe in the ultimate battleground. But who will win?
    She-Ra will return to help her brother, and he will also see the love story between He-Man and Teela come full circle.
    "A true hero fights for justice and loves kindness." - He-Man, Buzz-Off's Pride, 2002.

I think assuming that you can get a whole big franchise out of MOTU is a little... optimistic. I mean sure there's possibilities, but I have some severe doubts about jumping in planning for five movies. After all, for example Green Lantern was supposed to start a shared universe, and then it bombed and Man of Steel had no connection to it, even though originally it was going to be part of the same 'verse.

Another example: the Monsters shared universe started with that Dracula Unbound movie or whatever it was called, and that didn't do so well, so then they went ahead with The Mummy remake, and that bombed, and so it came to pass that the movie franchise was basically a bust.

I'd rather see a more detailed concept for the first movie than just "it's an origin for He-Man, Skeletor and Grayskull," before moving on to the sequel. What's the aesthetic like? What's Prince Adam's arc? What's He-Man's arc? What are the twists and turns from the original cartoon version? Etc.

For one thing, Man-at-Arms and the Sorceress have been friends for a long time, studying and learning the secrets of the universe and Castle Grayskull, and the history of King Grayskull himself, and the prophesied chosen one to wield his sword and bring back hope to Eternia. So Man-at-Arms would train Adam since birth to prepare him for his eventual destiny to become He-Man.

And Keldor's past will be explored, telling how his fascination with magic and power drove him mad, and how his adoptive younger brother King Randor chose to serve his people rather than fight for power. And Keldor would go on a dark path himself to becoming Skeletor, instead of being helped by Hordak.

So far, it's just my idea for a possible franchise. Wanted to hear people's opinions. And what do you mean, twists and turns? I would like to stay as close to the source material as possible.
    "A true hero fights for justice and loves kindness." - He-Man, Buzz-Off's Pride, 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Roye View Post
    what do you mean, twists and turns? I would like to stay as close to the source material as possible.
    There's so much, and such varied, source material that I regard the MOTU franchise as being fundamentally... incompatible with itself, to a certain extent. I mean, for one thing, Keldor's existence was only brought up late in the classic era, and there's definitely no sense in either the early minicomics or Filmation that Skeletor is He-Man's uncle, but you want to show Keldor as Randor's brother, and show him becoming Skeletor, and without Hordak's intervention, so that's, you know, that's a choice you're making about what variations of the MOTU world you find most compelling.

For one thing, Man-at-Arms and the Sorceress have been friends for a long time, studying and learning the secrets of the universe and Castle Grayskull, and the history of King Grayskull himself, and the prophesied chosen one to wield his sword and bring back hope to Eternia. So Man-at-Arms would train Adam since birth to prepare him for his eventual destiny to become He-Man.
    That's a divergence as well, the idea that Man-At-Arms knows that Adam is destined to become He-Man eventually. It's kind of interesting, but I do wonder why Duncan would keep it a secret from Randor and Marlena, as well as how knowing he's destined to be this great chosen one would shape Adam's young psyche. Alternately, if Adam doesn't know that Duncan's training him to be He-Man, then how does he feel about finding out his teacher has been manipulating him for so long? See what I mean about twists and turns? There's implications to every choice you make about the world and its inhabitants.

And Keldor's past will be explored, telling how his fascination with magic and power drove him mad, and how his adoptive younger brother King Randor chose to serve his people rather than fight for power. And Keldor would go on a dark path himself to becoming Skeletor, instead of being helped by Hordak.
    Ironic, that Randor achieved power despite wanting only to serve, while Keldor craves power and becomes only a Lord of Destruction. I can see some thematic resonance there!

Heroic Warrior
    OP had it right as a general concept movie pitch in terms of the titles. That is exactly how a MOTU franchise should look as a movie franchise- the movies should be 1) He-Man origin/Skeletor, 2) Snake-Men, 3)Evil Horde, 4)She-Ra, and 5) a final team up. That gives room to showcase all the villains. And yes, allows us to experience the "source material".

The details about Keldor/Randor are besides the point at this stage.

Not sure why this obvious idea had to be threadshit on.

I would like to see something like this in feature length animated films. I'm not putting down the OP for his idea, in fact I love it! I just feel that with animation you have more freedom to portray your story concept exactly how you'd like to without all of the limitations of live action. Hell, most of the "epic" live action movies rely on so much CGI as is, they might as well be animated films anyway. With regard to the attention of there being "so much, and such varied, source material that I regard the MOTU franchise as being fundamentally... incompatible with itself", I agree that there is no way for there to be a definitive or 100% accurate portrayal of the material available....but, if we are using Marvel as inspiration as the OP suggests...they didn't stick to their own material and changed the story of the MCU to work for the movies WITH HUGE SUCCESS! There's no reason it couldn't work for MotU....plus, we all know the movie is different than the book

I love this idea and would love for it to be explored more. Please don't leave me out if you move forward. I'd love to follow along on this journey