Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Episode 13: "The Battle of Bright Moon" (SPOILERS!)

  1. #1
    Loco Motu Vato ehenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    10,131

    Episode 13: "The Battle of Bright Moon" (SPOILERS!)

    Hi - a lot has changed since the 200x days. We couldn't binge all the episodes back then; as each episode was released, we'd discuss it... in detail! Now, you can binge all the She-Ra episodes at once; so, it's not quite the same. I'm proposing we set up a thread for each episode so we don't have to choose to stay out conversations until we've seen the whole season.

    This thread is for Episode 13: "The Battle of Bright Moon". Please only discuss what was shown in this episode and those leading up to it.

    Thank you.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    733
    I can't be the only one who was wondering where all those guards and rebels we saw during the first few episodes were when Catra's army invaded. I don't mind the BFS taking center stage in the battle, it for them to be the ONLY defenders somewhat stretched my limits of belief.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Cheshire Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    399
    Ya, though sadly this feels like an animation issue - like they just didn't have the resources to animate a full on battle scene; which is why there were no guards fighting and the Horde troopers were mostly confined to the tanks.

    It wasn't a great finale for me, I'd hoped we'd learn a little more about the First Ones or Grayskull but nope.

    I wasn't really a fan of the rainbow magic Deus ex Machina; it got a little too My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (which the first 2 seasons of, are great IMO) for my liking - also the character designs look not-so-hot in monochrome; their flatness is accentuated.

    Glimmer's glitching was also similarly just resolved by the princesses all combining powers which also left me a bit disappointed. I guess I feel like they should have made the finale a 2 parter, it would have been beneficial to see the other princesses being swayed by Brightmoon's beacon instead of them just all showing up to save the day after abandoning the Princess Alliance (I mean Frosta literally fortified herself and her subjects in their kingdom previously).

    all in all I dug Season 1, not quite Avatar or Korra dug but I have hopes that this story and world will better grow into themselves in future seasons, bring them on.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    660
    I liked it overall, even if things got rapped up a bit to easily at the end. I thought the other rebels showing up to save the day was fine, but the skittles attack felt tacked on and pointless.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    733
    So, out of curiosity, what's going to be used to prevent Hordak from just reusing all that tech and starting up this disaster again? Clearly the system is suffering age degradation, yes, but there should be some way to keep the Black Garnet from going so out of control again. Especially if the human regulator is unreliable.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,934
    This seemed like a really rushed finale to me.

    Extremely odd that Bright Moon’s army disappeared or hid inside the castle. And that neither Mermista or Frosta brought their armies. Of course, despite saying she was gathering the entire Horde, Catra seemed to show up with about 50 Horde Troopers if that.

    They were also very excited about the Princess Alliance, yet the number of people at the Princess Prom suggests it’s still tiny. At the very least they didn’t have the name checked princesses Sweet Bee and Peekablue.

    The magical rainbow wave also seemed like a cop out and unnecessary since they were already victorious. I did like the battle armour for She-Ra, Bow and Glimmer, especially Glimmer.

    I was surprised that She-Ra didn’t fare better against Catra. As Adora she seemed to be able to hold her own, so as She-Ra it should be a walk in the park. Light Hope is obviously right about Adora’s attachments holding her back.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    This seemed like a really rushed finale to me.

    Extremely odd that Bright Moon’s army disappeared or hid inside the castle. And that neither Mermista or Frosta brought their armies. Of course, despite saying she was gathering the entire Horde, Catra seemed to show up with about 50 Horde Troopers if that.

    They were also very excited about the Princess Alliance, yet the number of people at the Princess Prom suggests it’s still tiny. At the very least they didn’t have the name checked princesses Sweet Bee and Peekablue.

    The magical rainbow wave also seemed like a cop out and unnecessary since they were already victorious. I did like the battle armour for She-Ra, Bow and Glimmer, especially Glimmer.

    I was surprised that She-Ra didn’t fare better against Catra. As Adora she seemed to be able to hold her own, so as She-Ra it should be a walk in the park. Light Hope is obviously right about Adora’s attachments holding her back.
    I think i might be less her attachment to Catra holding her back and more that Catra knows how to push her buttons and keep her off balance.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Posts
    2,921
    I think the finale was the best episode of the season. It introduced a new action figure we'll all want to buy - Battle Armor She-Ra - gave each supporting character dialog and a decent amount of time, and set up a good amount of suspense for next season. I'm still in shock that Entrapta has turned. This series isn't without its flaws, but overall it's keeping me entertained. After this episode, I'm especially excited to see where the MotU franchise goes next.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

    If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

  9. #9
    Ancient One zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    14,347
    I found the finale to be wholly satisfying. I guess I didn't feel that it felt rushed because I ended up watching episodes 9 and on in one fell swoop, so it felt more like I was watching an animated movie moreso than individual episodes. The way this season wrapped up also made it feel for me personally that if this season were the only one we ever got, I would feel like it was a "whole", rather than had it ended on some weird cliffhanger (or like MYP He-Man where the story just stopped/fizzled because Season Two wasn't complete, if that makes sense).
    There's so many places the show can go, though... and I'm hoping in a Season Two we find out A) more about Hordak, B) how Shadow Weaver makes a comeback, C) what will happen when the Rebellion finds out Entrapta is still alive, and D) whether Entrapta stays with the Horde or goes back to the Rebellion (her character seems such that she'd just as easily hop on Swift Wind with She-Ra and take off for the Whispering Woods once they tell her "We thought you were dead!").
    Also, Adora's been asking questions of Light Hope about The First Ones... the next two have to be: "What is Eternia?" and "What is Grayskull?"

  10. #10
    Loco Motu Vato ehenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    10,131
    So was the finger tapping Hordak did something he did in the Filmation She-Ra, or was it a nod to Daniel Benedict and Van Staples for "Fall of Grayskull"?
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

  11. #11
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,311
    It definitely felt rushed. With at least 52 episodes ordered right off the bat, they didn't really have to do that. The limited animation hurt since we should have saw more of an army on both sides.

  12. #12
    Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    2,240
    Loved the throwback to the opening credits of the original show, with the rebellion standing on a rocky outcrop with a rainbow. Yes ; My Little Pony : Friendship is magic got all the friends together to weaponize their friendship in a destructive rainbow blast in just two episodes, It took She-Ra 13 episodes to do the same, but there were lots of character driven things to work through. All in all damn good, if you ignore the whole, "She-Ra is useless without the alliance" plot point. can't wait to see where it goes from here
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    111
    I felt satisfied and also longing for Season 2. I can see the points that it may have been rushed a little and the rainbow power cooperation was not original. Perhaps my only real surprise was that Catra was the main villain on the battlefield, but I should not have been since that has been the character arc. But I don't have an issue as long as we see other Big Bads in the future.

    Kinda weird how She-Ra doesn't seem to be The Most Powerful Woman in the Universe, nor does she display the wisdom of Grayskull- she's pretty much Tom Hanks from Big as opposed to Captain Marvel/He-Man. I still never warmed up to her tiara- she looks like a Valkyrie.

    Anyway, nice wrap up.

  14. #14
    Loco Motu Vato ehenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    10,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    I still never warmed up to her tiara.
    I didn't care for the tiara she wore for most of the show, but I really liked the upgraded, thicker one that shows up in this episode.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

  15. #15
    master of accessories facet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,733
    When glimmer got her dads staff she should have also gotten the tiara as a way of tapping into the moonstones power kinda like shadow weaver with the black garnet. It was a source of power for her the the media from back in the day so they should have kept that theme going. As for mermista where’s her trident she had from the beginning, and a sword for sea hawk( laser rapier or photon cutless) hate when lack of details like this take away from the show.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    When glimmer got her dads staff she should have also gotten the tiara as a way of tapping into the moonstones power kinda like shadow weaver with the black garnet. It was a source of power for her the the media from back in the day so they should have kept that theme going. As for mermista where’s her trident she had from the beginning, and a sword for sea hawk( laser rapier or photon cutless) hate when lack of details like this take away from the show.
    Shadow Weaver's mask stone seems just a way to bypass the restriction on being a Princess, not a power source in and of itself. We've seen Glimmer can directly recharge, and this weakness might have been built into the Runestones by the First Ones to keep any individual Princess from just abandoning her post (both Glimmer and Shadow Weaver suffer withdrawal when their powers are low). Only She-Ra has a personal Runestone she can carry with her, which is probably what made her so devastating in the past.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I will say I like at the end when Hordak seems about to punish Catra for failing to take Brightmoon. It's an interesting lesson using a villain that actually standing up for your accomplishments nets you better results than just making excuses.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  17. #17
    Totally Dyslexic
    Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,427
    I just re-watched the last episode.

    I have to re-watch stuff sometimes to see it with some distance.

    But She-Ra is way to weak in this episode. Catra should have been at least unconscious after She-Ra pinned her between herself and the rock. Where was her power the first time she appeared as She-Ra were the ground was breaking and things like that?

    In this show they use She-Ras power similar to how FILMATION used Glimmers powers - super powerful when needed and almost none existing when the plot needs her to vulnerable.

    Entraptas arch is weird as well. A few episodes before she was taken as a prisoner and now she stands in front of Hordak himself proclaiming she knows more than ever before about the first ones tech and smiling when Catra is saying everything is destroyed and Etheria is theirs for the taking. She clearly knows whatīs going on and has no stockholm syndrome. She enjoys having power.

    And i hate they way the draw She-Ras hair!
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    204
    I can sort of forgive Frosta,s army not showing up . Maybe she used her powers to get there ASAP and her army is catching up ?
    Not sure if Mermista even has an army so that's okay .

    Bright moons castle guard and rebels have no excuse to not be there . That's a major inconsistency . How hard is it to add a 2 minute scene showing brightmoons finest no names attacking a few horde tanks while the main characters did their thing ?

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I just re-watched the last episode.

    I have to re-watch stuff sometimes to see it with some distance.

    But She-Ra is way to weak in this episode. Catra should have been at least unconscious after She-Ra pinned her between herself and the rock. Where was her power the first time she appeared as She-Ra were the ground was breaking and things like that?

    In this show they use She-Ras power similar to how FILMATION used Glimmers powers - super powerful when needed and almost none existing when the plot needs her to vulnerable.

    Entraptas arch is weird as well. A few episodes before she was taken as a prisoner and now she stands in front of Hordak himself proclaiming she knows more than ever before about the first ones tech and smiling when Catra is saying everything is destroyed and Etheria is theirs for the taking. She clearly knows whatīs going on and has no stockholm syndrome. She enjoys having power.

    And i hate they way the draw She-Ras hair!
    Even at her most powerful this version of She-Ra is nowhere near as strong as the godlike level Filmation put her at, plus even then she dosn't seem to be able to tap into her full strength at will and Catra pretty clearly has some degree of super strength herself, since she can rip robots apart.

    That being said I hope She-Ra dosn't end getting worfed to much in later seasons.
    Last edited by A Dalek; February 3, 2019 at 06:45pm.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I just re-watched the last episode.

    I have to re-watch stuff sometimes to see it with some distance.

    But She-Ra is way to weak in this episode. Catra should have been at least unconscious after She-Ra pinned her between herself and the rock. Where was her power the first time she appeared as She-Ra were the ground was breaking and things like that?

    In this show they use She-Ras power similar to how FILMATION used Glimmers powers - super powerful when needed and almost none existing when the plot needs her to vulnerable.

    Entraptas arch is weird as well. A few episodes before she was taken as a prisoner and now she stands in front of Hordak himself proclaiming she knows more than ever before about the first ones tech and smiling when Catra is saying everything is destroyed and Etheria is theirs for the taking. She clearly knows whatīs going on and has no stockholm syndrome. She enjoys having power.

    And i hate they way the draw She-Ras hair!
    Seems like the She-Ra we saw when she first transformed was more an "all modes unlocked" version. A taste of She-Ra's full power meant to overwhelm any opponent and make up for a novice user's potential lack of battle prowess. What she's displaying now is just the level of power she can handle, hence why Light Hope Synergy wants her to train.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I can sort of forgive Frosta,s army not showing up . Maybe she used her powers to get there ASAP and her army is catching up ?
    Not sure if Mermista even has an army so that's okay .

    Bright moons castle guard and rebels have no excuse to not be there . That's a major inconsistency . How hard is it to add a 2 minute scene showing brightmoons finest no names attacking a few horde tanks while the main characters did their thing ?
    I believe Mermista does have an army, or at least a navy. Her kingdom was only so deserted because the citizens had abandoned it as the shield failed, but there were still guards hanging around her. Whether or not she got her military back up to snuff afterward is open for debate.

    But I do agree. The animators could have reserved some of the budget to let Brightmoon's army take up some of the slack, or even throw in the line that most of their military forces were 9ccupied dealing with the unnatural disasters currently sweeping the planet thanks to Entraptra monkeying with the Black Garnet.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  21. #21
    Totally Dyslexic
    Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Seems like the She-Ra we saw when she first transformed was more an "all modes unlocked" version. A taste of She-Ra's full power meant to overwhelm any opponent and make up for a novice user's potential lack of battle prowess. What she's displaying now is just the level of power she can handle, hence why Light Hope Synergy wants her to train.



    I believe Mermista does have an army, or at least a navy. Her kingdom was only so deserted because the citizens had abandoned it as the shield failed, but there were still guards hanging around her. Whether or not she got her military back up to snuff afterward is open for debate.

    But I do agree. The animators could have reserved some of the budget to let Brightmoon's army take up some of the slack, or even throw in the line that most of their military forces were 9ccupied dealing with the unnatural disasters currently sweeping the planet thanks to Entraptra monkeying with the Black Garnet.
    Why do you blame the animators for something the writers should have thought off?

    This scene does feel more like a "superheroes come together/ assemble" than an actual defending the castle scene. And itīs clearly written as such.

    My guess now is the choice to make them all teenager to make it more reasonable that all of them seem to be untrained and unaware what they are capable off. Spinnerella was so powerful in FILMATION that they decided to avoid her completely and not even shown her again. Her she is just used randomly and even Netossas magical nets are underused.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Why do you blame the animators for something the writers should have thought off?

    This scene does feel more like a "superheroes come together/ assemble" than an actual defending the castle scene. And itīs clearly written as such.

    My guess now is the choice to make them all teenager to make it more reasonable that all of them seem to be untrained and unaware what they are capable off. Spinnerella was so powerful in FILMATION that they decided to avoid her completely and not even shown her again. Her she is just used randomly and even Netossas magical nets are underused.
    I can blame both, but if the scene calls for a big battle it shouldn't be that difficult to put in a few extra bodies, especially if they look alike as army builders tend to.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  23. #23
    Totally Dyslexic
    Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    I can blame both, but if the scene calls for a big battle it shouldn't be that difficult to put in a few extra bodies, especially if they look alike as army builders tend to.
    I donīt know their schedule but normally the drawing artists donīt have a lot to say. They are trying to do their best and to hit their deadline.

    If the writer didnīt write in the guards, no animator would ask if she or he can put in even more characters to animate.

    In FILMATION the writers sometimes gave no specifics for the background and the background artists went wild and gave us amazing scenery. I donīt think thatīs common that animators do extra stuff that isnīt asked except a hidden easter egg or something and especially not in a big fight scene where there is a lot going on.

    But as Lokus and you said they really should have shown the guards protecting Angella at least.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I donīt know their schedule but normally the drawing artists donīt have a lot to say. They are trying to do their best and to hit their deadline.

    If the writer didnīt write in the guards, no animator would ask if she or he can put in even more characters to animate.

    In FILMATION the writers sometimes gave no specifics for the background and the background artists went wild and gave us amazing scenery. I donīt think thatīs common that animators do extra stuff that isnīt asked except a hidden easter egg or something and especially not in a big fight scene where there is a lot going on.

    But as Lokus and you said they really should have shown the guards protecting Angella at least.
    I guess that's true, but honestly I just find it bizarre not to go the extra mile for a project you love unless specifically told not to.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  25. #25
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,311
    It seemed like they had no issues putting a lot of characters in the background of the prom episode, so not sure why they couldn't have done the same for this episode.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •