Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Where are the toys for this show?

Like I was saying a couple months back: At this point in time it's difficult for us to get a good sense of whether or not the series is popular with kids, but in terms of impact on the internet with teens and the 20-something crowd I'd say it's definitely a hit. There is still a steady stream of artwork and cosplays rolling in on social media months later, the Season 1 trailer views for She-Ra have exceeded the earliest comparable ones for Voltron, the official DreamWorks She-Ra Twitter account has significantly more followers than Voltron's did at the same point time (which is doubly impressive since the latter account was started years before and already had thousands of followers to begin with) etc. So, in some respects, the existence of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power has already been transformative.

Now do the aforementioned successes and benchmarks necessarily mean that the result will be high ratings for the series and remarkable toy line sales? Absolutely not. For example, Netflix divulged that The Boss Baby: Back in Business cartoon is a huge success for them. However, if you look at something like the number of user ratings on IMDb for that cartoon series, you'll notice it's pretty low for being such a huge success. (A big reason for that is because very young kids aren't signing up to IMDb to rate things.) You cannot always count on those numbers correlating with actual viewership. Same thing with She-Ra, which has way more user ratings than The Boss Baby: Back in Business. That one isolated piece of information doesn't tell us much.

Having said that, I do feel like a lot of these teens and 20-something fans would be open to buying the toys if they saw them at retail. Noelle posted a picture of the Super7 She-Ra and Catra figures that she got awhile back. That tweet got a pretty big response. I do think it would help a lot if influencers like her got the momentum going before the toys hit the shelves.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Like I was saying a couple months back: At this point in time it's difficult for us to get a good sense of whether or not the series is popular with kids, but in terms of impact on the internet with teens and the 20-something crowd I'd say it's definitely a hit. There is still a steady stream of artwork and cosplays rolling in on social media months later, the Season 1 trailer views for She-Ra have exceeded the earliest comparable ones for Voltron, the official DreamWorks She-Ra Twitter account has significantly more followers than Voltron's did at the same point time (which is doubly impressive since the latter account was started years before and already had thousands of followers to begin with) etc. So, in some respects, the existence of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power has already been transformative.

Now do the aforementioned successes and benchmarks necessarily mean that the result will be high ratings for the series and remarkable toy line sales? Absolutely not. For example, Netflix divulged that The Boss Baby: Back in Business cartoon is a huge success for them. However, if you look at something like the number of user ratings on IMDb for that cartoon series, you'll notice it's pretty low for being such a huge success. (A big reason for that is because very young kids aren't signing up to IMDb to rate things.) You cannot always count on those numbers correlating with actual viewership. Same thing with She-Ra, which has way more user ratings than The Boss Baby: Back in Business. That one isolated piece of information doesn't tell us much.

Having said that, I do feel like a lot of these teens and 20-something fans would be open to buying the toys if they saw them at retail. Noelle posted a picture of the Super7 She-Ra and Catra figures that she got awhile back. That tweet got a pretty big response. I do think it would help a lot if influencers like her got the momentum going before the toys hit the shelves.
    It seems like missing Christmas 2018 was a mistake, because waiting until post season 3 (Iím speculating here) to release toys for one holiday push seems to be the next best thing (SDCC to hype, then release for Xmas), but realistically only gives you maybe one big push for the toy line. I suppose not every cultural phenomenon needs to be commodified and realized in plastic (we know weíre getting books, already), but it sure would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

I am NOT surprised in the least by the no show by Mattel ....the past performance of this company was the best future predictor. Sad sad indeed

Heroic Warrior
    Well, that's a shame. I hope Mattel goes BIG for the release in "Fall 2019" because there may not be an opportunity for a second wave / series depending upon how Netflix rolls out the remaining episodes as "seasons".

I would have thought that Mattel would have considered how Playmates' Voltron line did and tried to improve upon their release pattern. But, it appears not.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    Well, that's a shame. I hope Mattel goes BIG for the release in "Fall 2019" because there may not be an opportunity for a second wave / series depending upon how Netflix rolls out the remaining episodes as "seasons".

I would have thought that Mattel would have considered how Playmates' Voltron line did and tried to improve upon their release pattern. But, it appears not.
    They decided to go even farther in the opposite direction!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    How do we know the show is popular? Itís possible Mattel is privy to the ratings and decided it isnít cost effective to make toys based on the show.
    Eh! Seems somewhat popular at least. It won some kind of award and they've decided to do a season 2. Also it rates fairly high on Rotten Tomatoes..?

But yeah, you're right. We don't know for sure and you could be onto something with your second point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I don't think popularity and hype for She-Ra and the Princesses of Power will die down by this Fall. After all, Voltron's cartoon didn't peak with Season 1 and the massive fan base that it currently has happened over time.

The main thing I'm wondering about, is if DreamWorks / Netflix will reduce the number of episodes in later seasons, to stretch it out, so that any consecutive waves of Mattel She-Ra toys happen during or in close proximity to new seasons, if that makes sense.
    Good point! It will be verrrrry interesting.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringer_luvr View Post
    I am NOT surprised in the least by the no show by Mattel ....the past performance of this company was the best future predictor. Sad sad indeed
    Mattel has a new CEO. Let’s give him a chance to improve the company.

Heroic Warrior sandrockgundam04's Avatar
    I worry the same thing that happened with the Netflix Voltron line will happen here, it came out late as well and ultimately ended up being clearanced everywhere, and hardly anyone could even find the almost mythical pilot action figures (I've still never seen one in person). Seems like a huge miss to not be ready to launch a toy line with the show, but at the same time I know its a huge investment and there's always the chance the show flops. At the same time, being too late could be just as bad.

Didn't Hasbro recently acquired the distribution rights to Precure? I would assume that would be aiming for the same demographic as She-Ra. If that ends up taking off in the west it might eat up some potential toy sales for the She-Ra line, so can Mattel really afford to wait on that kind of thing?

Heroic Warrior sandrockgundam04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    Didn't Hasbro recently acquired the distribution rights to Precure? I would assume that would be aiming for the same demographic as She-Ra. If that ends up taking off in the west it might eat up some potential toy sales for the She-Ra line, so can Mattel really afford to wait on that kind of thing?
    They have Glitter Force, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by sandrockgundam04 View Post
    They have Glitter Force, yeah.
    That's pretty cool, I hope for it's fanbases sake that they do a better job with it than Saban did.

I introduced my friend’s 4yo daughter to this show after watching it with my son and I know he was hoping to find her some toys from the show, since she absolutely loved the show. But nothing...

When are the Super7 She-ra/Catra set of 2 coming out? They don't seem to be mentioned in any of their updates...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    When are the Super7 She-ra/Catra set of 2 coming out? They don't seem to be mentioned in any of their updates...
    Super7 sent out an email on January 15th stating that the figures had arrived in their warehouse and would be shipping in the next few coming weeks. So at this point it should be any day now.

^^^Thanks!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

EP Grupo recently created a page for She-Ra and a few other Universal properties.

http://www.epgrupo.com.br/she-ra/

There's nothing really new on the page, except for listing Larissa Chiba as Brazil's "Franchise & Marketing Manager" for She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. She has been with NBCUniversal Media, LLC since December, 2017.

I've been thinking about why Mattel hasn't shown anything toy related lately as I've been rewatching through the show with my wife. My daughter and I watched it back when it released and since then my daughter has wanted more She-Ra toys. She has three MOTUC She-Ras (well 2 and an Adora) but I'd love to be able to walk into stores and buy her something. That being said, she's definitely more intrigued by the Filmation and 200x series. She likes the new She-Ra but there are definitely episodes she skips.

One thought I've had while watching this show is that I'm not sure who the target audience is. I wonder if Mattel isn't sure either.

As a longtime adult MOTU fan, I know this show isn't for me. I like parts of it but I'm not the target audience and Mattel isn't going to try to sell me toys.

Watching it with my kid, I really don't think she's the target audience, either. The show isn't "adult" or anything, but it's clearly not made with young kids in mind, unlike previous MOTU shows. Parents aren't going to be scooping these up for kids unless the parents are MOTU fans.

I think the audience for this show is really and truly a late teens/ early 20s audience, typically not your buying toys/ disposable income audience. While that age group/ demographic might be fairly active on social media, tumblr, etc. I just don't see it as a big toy buying audience.

My other thought is that while I'm sure Mattel probably appreciates the income/ brand awareness, they may not want to "push" the show fearing that it could compete or affect the performance of the film. While I'm all about folks liking what they like (I dig POP), Mattel could fear that if consumers begin to see MOTU as a girl's brand (I know the show isn't called MOTU and is its own separate license) it could damage the credibility of the brand with boys when the film comes out. Again, this was brought up and dismissed in the Toys that Made Up episode related to the vintage lines, but I remember Scott Neitlich often stressing that Mattel liked brand harmony with the same style/ design/ etc. being present across the brand, so it seems possible.

Edit: Considering it sounds like reps stated that toys would be coming this Fall, but with nothing shown, I expect to see a small line or a line that relies more on vintage aesthetics rather than relying too heavily on the new show. I could be wrong, though. I still think Mattel has reasons they didn't put toys out for the launch of the show. It's there property. They knew the show was coming.
    Last edited by Barbecue17; March 28, 2019 at 03:35pm.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I've been thinking about why Mattel hasn't shown anything toy related lately as I've been rewatching through the show with my wife. My daughter and I watched it back when it released and since then my daughter has wanted more She-Ra toys. She has three MOTUC She-Ras (well 2 and an Adora) but I'd love to be able to walk into stores and buy her something. That being said, she's definitely more intrigued by the Filmation and 200x series. She likes the new She-Ra but there are definitely episodes she skips.

One thought I've had while watching this show is that I'm not sure who the target audience is. I wonder if Mattel isn't sure either.

As a longtime adult MOTU fan, I know this show isn't for me. I like parts of it but I'm not the target audience and Mattel isn't going to try to sell me toys.

Watching it with my kid, I really don't think she's the target audience, either. The show isn't "adult" or anything, but it's clearly not made with young kids in mind, unlike previous MOTU shows. Parents aren't going to be scooping these up for kids unless the parents are MOTU fans.

I think the audience for this show is really and truly a late teens/ early 20s audience, typically not your buying toys/ disposable income audience. While that age group/ demographic might be fairly active on social media, tumblr, etc. I just don't see it as a big toy buying audience.

My other thought is that while I'm sure Mattel probably appreciates the income/ brand awareness, they may not want to "push" the show fearing that it could compete or affect the performance of the film. While I'm all about folks liking what they like (I dig POP), Mattel could fear that if consumers begin to see MOTU as a girl's brand (I know the show isn't called MOTU and is its own separate license) it could damage the credibility of the brand with boys when the film comes out. Again, this was brought up and dismissed in the Toys that Made Up episode related to the vintage lines, but I remember Scott Neitlich often stressing that Mattel liked brand harmony with the same style/ design/ etc. being present across the brand, so it seems possible.

Edit: Considering it sounds like reps stated that toys would be coming this Fall, but with nothing shown, I expect to see a small line or a line that relies more on vintage aesthetics rather than relying too heavily on the new show. I could be wrong, though. I still think Mattel has reasons they didn't put toys out for the launch of the show. It's there property. They knew the show was coming.
    Eh I think the demographic is probably people who grew with ATLA (along with people who watched ATLA in their teens), considering how the show mostly apes that style. Which would probably expands the age range of the demographic to the late 20's.

Anyway as I mentioned before Hasbro might be able to net the kids demographics depending on what they do with the Precure/Glitter Force franchise (not guaranteed by any stretch judging by how things went for Saban with said franchise). So it might be for the best that She-Ra aims for the teens/20 somethings audience.

Even if the intended audience is teens and Millennials, they would still buy the toys as collectors. So why not at least make toys for them? I find toys and similar merch in Hot Topic and FYE for older-skewing cartoons like Rick & Morty, so then there should be some She-Ra toys. I think even a small PVC figurine set or something.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Mattel recently filed for a new trademark. (This is the first/only She-Ra and the Princesses of Power trademark in the database.)

SHE-RA AND THE PRINCESSES OF POWER

ic 041. Us 100 101 107. G & s: Entertainment services; entertainment services, namely, providing animated television programs and webisodes featuring children's entertainment via a global computer network; entertainment services in the nature of animated television programs in the field of children's entertainment.

Heroic Warrior
    More figures please! I loved the Catra and She-Ra figures that Super7 put out. Keeping them carded so I canít speak to their articulation, but I really like how they look. And from this latest season, Iíd be all for the variants too.