Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The he-men before he-man

Heroic Warrior
    Oo lar is the best

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    Oo lar is the best
    Well, he is basically mini-comics He-Man, so ... yeah.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capeträger View Post
    Judging from the Bios, Vikor seems to come right after Grayskull.
    Torak ... can they use Torak? I don't know. But he gives off a stone age vibe, so I would actually put him in an age before Grayskull.
    And Vykron wasn't a He-Man at all, just a gladiator.

(In my personal canon, I have Oo-Lar and Wun-Dar switched around era-wise, but that has nothing to do with classics.)

I'm not completely comfortable with calling all the guardians of the sword He-Men, but it's what Mattel did, so I will go with it, I think.
    It all depends on what sources you take as relevant. If you go by MOTUC canon, then you have to rule out Torak, Megaton Man (Tony Guerrero's) and Vykron. In my case, I'm taking as valid sources every concept I know intended to be He-Man. So, MOTUC-Canon-wise you're correct.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    Two "Hemen" who we havent gotten yet who I think deserve a spot would be
    Torak
    Attachment 118387

and Tony Guerrero He-man aka "Megaton" (unused heman name from when the line was still in development)
    Attachment 118388
    Something just feels too fake on Torak. I dont know how he would have faked it, but it just seems ...I just dont trust that guy anymore. Tony Guerrero He-Man I SUPER WANT in classics. I NEED it to be official. He's definitely in my head canon.

- - - Updated - - -

And Vykron wasn't a He-Man at all, just a gladiator.

(In my personal canon, I have Oo-Lar and Wun-Dar switched around era-wise, but that has nothing to do with classics.)

I'm not completely comfortable with calling all the guardians of the sword He-Men, but it's what Mattel did, so I will go with it, I think.
    As to Vykron...with that outfit I cannot exclude him. He's to obviously "a part" of that mythos. We do not know what part that really could have been, but I see tons of potential in it, and I definitely include him. As to official...not yet I guess.

I also was iffy on the whole "He-Men" thing BUT I love the bios and I love consolidating the entire property into a cohesive story. Truely epic. Due to the nature of all the contrary and different stories it doesnt always fit elegantly but I still love it. So the He-Men thing I've grown accustom to.

As I like to point out I was really weirdly iffy on Skeletor being Adams uncle, and it is not needed, but I've accepted it and actually have grown to love the concept, though it's ok if they left it behind "next time" as well.

Court Magician
    Is it known what happened to all the previous He-Man before Oo-Larr/Prince Adam? Do we know for instance how they died?

Heroic Warrior
    We know how He-Ro and King Grayskull died (He-Ro in a battle against the Horde, saving Grayskull). In fact, for King Grayskull, we have two different versions, 200x and Classics (killed by Hordak during the final battle against the Horde) and DC (assassinated on Hiss' orders).
    Vykron's death is in his Classic's bio (ripped apart in the arena by his opponent, Gygor), but in that bio he is clearly not a He-Man.
    For the others, no, nothing.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    We know how He-Ro and King Grayskull died (He-Ro in a battle against the Horde, saving Grayskull). In fact, for King Grayskull, we have two different versions, 200x and Classics (killed by Hordak during the final battle against the Horde) and DC (assassinated on Hiss' orders).
    Though if you take the DC 2012-2016 canon into hand. He-Ro comes after King Grayskull as one of the surviving children.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Not all of the bios have to be as tragic as those from Toyguru in MOTUC canon. So I want to believe other He-men had a more peaceful or heroic ends:

1. Wun-dar: became a Cosmic Enforcer
    2. Vikor: after battling so many years different enemies, he ruled his own kingdom, married a beautiful woman, had a son and passed the custody of the sword of He to this son after proving he deserved it. Died old in peace.
    3. Vykron: the arena stuff is not for me, so he was the He-man of the jungle, died in battle, but not ripped apart by Gygor: he fought bravely an insanely huge army of beast men following Gygor's orders. Although he was killed by the massive wounds, he left the battle filed covered of the dead bodies of his enemies as if he alone was an army of heroes.
    4. Oo-larr: he handed over the sword of He, battle axe, etc. to Sorceress, after knowing the advent of the ultimate He-Man (Adam). He aged wisely and strong and ruled his tribe, becoming an ally for Randor as Chief Oo-Larr. Eventually (as some alternative bios I've seen) he shared some adventures with Adam, and Adam accepted the wise counsel of the old He-Man.

For Torak and Guerrero's He-Man I will have to think some more.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Though if you take the DC 2012-2016 canon into hand. He-Ro comes after King Grayskull as one of the surviving children.
    Indeed, but I don't think we know how that version died. Or do we?

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Something just feels too fake on Torak. I dont know how he would have faked it, but it just seems ...I just dont trust that guy anymore. Tony Guerrero He-Man I SUPER WANT in classics. I NEED it to be official. He's definitely in my head canon.

- - - Updated - - -

As to Vykron...with that outfit I cannot exclude him. He's to obviously "a part" of that mythos. We do not know what part that really could have been, but I see tons of potential in it, and I definitely include him. As to official...not yet I guess.

I also was iffy on the whole "He-Men" thing BUT I love the bios and I love consolidating the entire property into a cohesive story. Truely epic. Due to the nature of all the contrary and different stories it doesnt always fit elegantly but I still love it. So the He-Men thing I've grown accustom to.

As I like to point out I was really weirdly iffy on Skeletor being Adams uncle, and it is not needed, but I've accepted it and actually have grown to love the concept, though it's ok if they left it behind "next time" as well.
    I took one look at Torak, and said to myself "Michael Dukakis, beefed up like He-Man"; that's your problem with it.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    How con anyone NOT love TORAK??! Sure, his Sword is a little nondescript, but he sports THE MOST POWERFUL SIDEBURNS IN THE UNIVERSE!! [^D

I would love to see Guerreror (as some fans have nicknamed him), and Megaton Man, and of course Torak all get their (overdue) due in Masters Classics continuity, including each of them getting a figure if at all possible! There is a huge gap in the checkered history of Eternia's defenders of the Sword. These guys could certainly be of some help in there somewhere! :^)
    Feel the same way how can you not want him and that skeleton warrior in the background of torak pic, I said it before and I’ll say it again, that should be satma, Skeletor with horns.
    DF200FCE-2699-468B-A69D-580E68FEBDEA.jpeg

How can anyone Not Love TORAK??! Sure, his Sword is a little nondescript, but he sports THE MOST POWERFUL SIDEBURNS IN THE UNIVERSE!! [^D

I would love to see Guerreror (as some fans have nicknamed him), and Megaton Man, and of course Torak all get their (overdue) due in Masters Classics continuity, including each of them getting a figure if at all possible! There is a huge gap in the checkered history of Eternia's defenders of The Sword. These guys could certainly be of some help in there somewhere! :^)

- - - Updated - - -

Feel the same way how can you not want him and that skeleton warrior in the background of torak pic, I said it before and I’ll say it again, that should be satma, Skeletor with horns.
    DF200FCE-2699-468B-A69D-580E68FEBDEA.jpeg
    I was considering that Skeleton warrior as well. I was thinking, just to be different, that he might be an ALLY of Torak! :^)
    Last edited by Snake_Man; November 24, 2018 at 09:14pm.
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

How can anyone Not Love TORAK??! Sure, his Sword is a little nondescript, but he sports THE MOST POWERFUL SIDEBURNS IN THE UNIVERSE!! [^D

I would love to see Guerreror (as some fans have nicknamed him), and Megaton Man, and of course Torak all get their (overdue) due in Masters Classics continuity, including each of them getting a figure if at all possible! There is a huge gap in the checkered history of Eternia's defenders of The Sword. These guys could certainly be of some help in there somewhere! :^)

- - - Updated - - -

I was considering that Skeleton warrior as well. I was thinking, just to be different, that he might be an ALLY of Torak! :^)
    His sword reminds me of the one that came with oolar

I love the whole "He-Men" idea. Warriors chosen to protect the sword until the true He-Man is born. Each given a little bit of power and/or weapons and maybe, a little bit of their wisdom and knowledge transferred to Adam when he raises his sword.

In my mythos, I see the first 4 mini-comics as Oo-Lar's story, with a young Man-at-Arms and Teela-Na. The Green Sorceress (not Goddess!) only apppears in the first mini-comic and Teela-Na is made Sorceress in the second. She is able to leave Castle Grayskull at will and it's not until Skeletor steals part of her to make Teela that she must stay in the Castle, because the power in the castle is keeping her alive.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Based on the pattern established (more or less) in Classics over the years, Eric and I pretty much have it in mind that the various concepts and prototypes of He-Man and She-Ra were the ancient heroes who protected the Sword of Power over the millennia.

I know we dropped little bits of information, here and there, on some of them for the upcoming bios, but we didn't go too far afield into naming every single one.

I think we mostly touched on the established ones, and worked out a way to include one that probably should have been designated as a past protector of the sword.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; March 1, 2019 at 06:29pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I hope we see He-Ra & Torak soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Artistix View Post
    I hope we see He-Ra & Torak soon!
    I Second that!
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Heroic Warrior
    I've grown accustomed to the idea. I see it as more of a Thor Corps kind of idea. The alternate dimension/time He-men are only fun when they travel through time and team up.

I started my shelf with he-man, King Grayskull and NA He-man as a team of He-men from the past, present and future... since then I added She-ra, King He-man (with a movie power sword) and a homemade Blackstarr into the circle. They look pretty cool all together.

I also love the idea that the power sword changes shape and color based on who wields it. Alcala, Original, Filmation, even StarSword are all the same sword in my canon :P
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Based on the pattern established (more or less) in Classics over the years, Eric and I pretty much have it in mind that the various concepts and prototypes of He-Man and She-Ra were the ancient heroes who protected the Sword of Power over the millennia.

I know we dropped little bits of information, here and there, on some of them for the upcoming bios, but we didn't go too far afield into naming every single one.

I think we mostly touched on the established ones, and worked out a way to include one that probably should have been designated as a past protector of the sword.
    I assume the one you speak of is has a large wardrobe and meet a gruesome death at the hands of a vicious enemy, which I wholeheartedly agree should have been appointed a protector of the sword of he

Heroic Warrior
    Inspired by this, I made a thread about my version of the He-Men in the fanfiction section.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...207-The-He-Men

Torak is not in it. He is in ther entry about Sorcerer Kings instead.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Sorcerer-Kings

Hexcellent Horror Hostess

The he-men before he-man

Inspired by this, I made a thread about my version of the He-Men in the fanfiction section.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...207-The-He-Men

Torak is not in it. He is in ther entry about Sorcerer Kings instead.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Sorcerer-Kings
    Very cool!!!! I love that you're going so deep in your exploration of the lore!!
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; March 2, 2019 at 10:42pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Vikor was one of the first. "He-Man of the North", he was active not long after the death of King Grayskull, and faced down many horrible threats, including (but not limited to!) The Crimson Countess.

Attachment 118376

Shortly thereafter, He-Ra stepped into action.

Attachment 118377

Although as far as I know, she never actually laid hands on the actual Power Sword, she did do a tremendous service to the forces of good, by helping to prevent King Hsss and his Snake Men from escaping their imprisonment in the Void. He-Ra's paternal grandfather is He-Ro, and her maternal grandfather is King Grayskull, so to say that she has "got it going on", legacy-wise, is something of an understatement!

After this, there is a HUGE blank spot in our knowledge of the historic men of He. Literally thousands of years pass, without a single name or memorable action being acknowledged.

About 50 years before the birth of Prince Adam, Vykron puts in his appearance.

Attachment 118378

While a worthy and versatile combatant, Vykron is also known to have never gotten anywhere near the Sword of Power, and his most famous footnote is the way he died, torn in two in Choloh's Vine Jungle arena by the vicious Gygor.

Then: Oo-Larr!

Attachment 118379

Operating for a brief period just before the birth of Prince Adam, this savage jungle "He-Man" made sure that a lot of the earliest Masters of The Universe stories were able to remain "canon" in an all-encompassing MoTU mythos.

And then, of course, came Prince Adam himself. And after him, his son, Dare, the Second He-Ro.

Attachment 118380

If there are any others I'm forgetting, I'm sure that someone else will be able to fill you in.

Take Care! :^)
    Snake man you forgot Wun-Dar 100 years before adam

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Something just feels too fake on Torak. I dont know how he would have faked it, but it just seems ...I just dont trust that guy anymore.
    Don’t trust what guy?
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Snake man you forgot Wun-Dar 100 years before adam
    *D'oh!* Thank You, facet! I KNEW I was forgetting SOMEONE, but completely drew a blank on WHO! It makes my oversight a little bit MORE ridiculous, that the Original poster mentioned Wun-Dar, and then I left him out anyway! {^)

Luckily, You and several others picked up my slack. :^)
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

*D'oh!* Thank You, facet! I KNEW I was forgetting SOMEONE, but completely drew a blank on WHO! It makes my oversight a little bit MORE ridiculous, that the Original poster mentioned Wun-Dar, and then I left him out anyway! {^)

Luckily, You and several others picked up my slack. :^)
    No worries got your back bud