Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do the KIDS in your life think of the new She-Ra?

POP and Customs Lover! heftysmurf76's Avatar

What do the KIDS in your life think of the new She-Ra?

Went to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving today and i had aspirations of asking if my cousin would consider introducing her daughter(my second cousin) Bryn who is 4 years old, to the new She-Ra. I was ecstatic to find out that not only does Bryn LOVE the show, but she has watched it from start to finish FOUR times!!! That's more than *I* have seen it!!!! I was thrilled to the point of clapping and squees of delight!!!

I asked Bryn who her Favorite character was, she was a little shy at first but finally she told me "Glimmer"!!!! I wish I had recorded it, I was so thrilled!

I've seen comments in other threads about little girls(and boys) who are discovering the new She-Ra, I'd love to hear more stories of new She-Ra fans in your life young and old!!!!
    Last edited by heftysmurf76; November 22, 2018 at 08:00pm.

I'm still the youngest person in my family, but I agree, it's awesome that kids are discovering this amazing new series, and perhaps over time they may enjoy the original series as well. I've always loved multiple versions of my favourite properties. The more, the better, I always say, when it comes to properties like MOTU/POP.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

My daughter now runs around yelling "for the honor of unicorns!", and I just walked passed my son who was watching it by his own choice.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I have two daughters: 6 and 4 yo. They love the new She-Ra. They have watched the whole season and are eager to do it again. They're really looking forward some dolls. They love the old episodes, but now they like these better.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    My daughter now runs around yelling "for the honor of unicorns!", and I just walked passed my son who was watching it by his own choice.
    I have a passion for unicorns too, I have figurines, a mirror in a gilded frame with embossed unicorns, and a few paintings.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Mine really dig it! My son’s favorite character is Catra, but he drew this fan art:

My daughter digs it also but is only 3, so is mostly into swiftwind (because unicorns are her favorite thing in the world rn).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

When we first started seeing the new images and trailer both of my kids said they did not like it. They have been reared watching 80's cartoons and they have pretty much rejected a lot of shows and toys that are different from G1s (I think I made them toy and cartoon snobs). I decided that it would be hypocritical to rail against it without watching it, so we did. My kids really enjoyed it. I just asked them who their favorite characters were and Kaydence said 'She-Ra' and Stephen said 'Angella.' The both really liked Sea Hawk. Their major critiques were as follows: They do not like the theme song, they do not like the transformation sequence and neither one of them were fond of Frosta or Glimmer. My college aged cousin watched it and she was not fond of the entire thing (she said she fast forwarded through a lot of stuff she didn't like, but was not specific). She had never seen the original.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

My granddaughter likes it, but only wanted to watch the first episodes, my youngest son likes it, but only watch the first 4 episodes.

I've seen them all, and like it.

Heroic Warrior
    I asked my sister

My 8 year old nephew said it's girls **** anything like this.
    But he liked swift wind and sea hawk

POP and Customs Lover! heftysmurf76's Avatar
    LOVE seeing everyones replies to this thread! Thank for sharing! KEEP EM COMING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    Mine really dig it! My son’s favorite character is Catra, but he drew this fan art:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...83a083fd61.jpg

My daughter digs it also but is only 3, so is mostly into swiftwind (because unicorns are her favorite thing in the world rn).

THIS is my favorite reply! i love seeing new fan's art!!!! SO awesome!!!!!

Oh my god that Shadow Weaver sketch is adorable. Keep it! That's a keeper.

IceyCat, I love that you named your kid Kaydence. Beautiful name.

I actually like the theme song quite a bit. Different from the original but cool nonetheless.

Did any of the kids comment on the She-Ra costume? Did they prefer the original or the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Did any of the kids comment on the She-Ra costume? Did they prefer the original or the new one?
    Both of my kids said they prefer the original costume/look. I know I got lambasted in the one thread for this, but my daughter's major complaint was that the characters were not pretty enough. The original characters are very pretty and feminine. People keep saying that little girls do not like 'pretty,' but that simply is not true. I am sure there are some little girls who do not, but all of the ones I know are really girly. Heck, I was a tom boy growing up but I was drawn to beautiful cartoons characters (She-Ra, Jem, Lady Lovely Locks, Rose Petal, etc.) because I loved dressing up and being pretty too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    IceyCat, I love that you named your kid Kaydence. Beautiful name.
    Thank you! She was incredibly hard to name because every time we liked a name people would butcher it or come up with weird nicknames for her. I was going to spell her name 'correctly' as Cadence, but everyone had a hard time pronouncing it for some reason. I changed it to Kaydence and so far that seems to be easier to pronounce and she loves the K. Being Carol Ann I always thought C's were kind of boring to write.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

My boy (11) liked the show. Girl (13) was really impressed and talk about series to all her frieds and now they all have wached it, talked about it, hoped season 2 arriving soon and watched Filmation versions from youtube to get a substitute because there were only 13 episodes. And ofcourse netflix is the original one for these teens. I have such good time listening their opinions.
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

My daughters, 7 and 10, both really liked it! They were skeptical from the preview (original POP is a big favorite) but they both were won over after the first couple of episodes. My younger daughter is absolutely obsessed with the theme song and will not let us skip it! My older daughter was really missing Swift Wind and was thrilled when he showed up again and that he could talk and got cool armor. We all had some interesting discussion about decisions the characters made, and how different characters treat one another.
    That fan art of Shadow Weaver is AWESOME!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Both of my kids said they prefer the original costume/look. I know I got lambasted in the one thread for this, but my daughter's major complaint was that the characters were not pretty enough. The original characters are very pretty and feminine. People keep saying that little girls do not like 'pretty,' but that simply is not true. I am sure there are some little girls who do not, but all of the ones I know are really girly. Heck, I was a tom boy growing up but I was drawn to beautiful cartoons characters (She-Ra, Jem, Lady Lovely Locks, Rose Petal, etc.) because I loved dressing up and being pretty too.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! She was incredibly hard to name because every time we liked a name people would butcher it or come up with weird nicknames for her. I was going to spell her name 'correctly' as Cadence, but everyone had a hard time pronouncing it for some reason. I changed it to Kaydence and so far that seems to be easier to pronounce and she loves the K. Being Carol Ann I always thought C's were kind of boring to write.
    My 13 yo daughter (was She-ra for Halloween when she was 6) did not like it and prefers the origional. When I asked what the old one had that the new one did not .....she said she liked the art and stories in the origional better.

Adora absolutely adores the show. As a matter of fact, so do my wife and I.

We're only on episode nine or ten, but it's been good so far. It was made for the kids, and it succeeds.

Adora wants to make "review" videos of each episode. I think it'll be fun to do with her when we have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    Adora absolutely adores the show. As a matter of fact, so do my wife and I.

We're only on episode nine or ten, but it's been good so far. It was made for the kids, and it succeeds.

Adora wants to make "review" videos of each episode. I think it'll be fun to do with her when we have the time.

That's so sweet that you named your daughter Adora! It's a beautiful name, made all the better with its POP relevance. Review videos would be awesome, I might do written ones, I'm not so good with technology.

I bought a She-Ra DVD box set for my coworker's daughter last Christmas and she loved it. Her mum sent me a photo of her holding a sword aloft proudly on Christmas Day and I was so happy.

She is seven years old now and was introduced to the new version last week. She says it's "weird and dumb" (I blame youtube for making a Welsh girl talk like an American!) but she did like Swift Wind and Catra.

I showed the first two episodes to my boys. They didn't really care for it. They feel it is a "girl's show" and none of the characters sucked them in. They never really attached that label to the original show. There is so much out there these days for shows that you can view both past and current shows that you gotta grab the kids in fast.

I watched it with my 15-year-old daughter, and she loves it! She loves most of the characters including Bow, Glimmer, Perfuma, Sea Hawk, Catra, Entrapta, Mermista, Adora. She really enjoys the relationships between Glimmer, Bow, and Adora and between Catra and Adora but mostly between Angella and Glimmer. She laughs at Sea Hawks' antics (Adventure!) but I think she finds the character of Glimmer as very similar to her and the stuff she is dealing with. In fact, she already stated her next cosplay is this new Glimmer!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by tmthor View Post
    My 13 yo daughter (was She-ra for Halloween when she was 6) did not like it and prefers the origional. When I asked what the old one had that the new one did not .....she said she liked the art and stories in the origional better.
    Yeah there is just something magical about the original. You really cannot catch lightning in a bottle twice (if you know what I mean). My kids are not fond of most modern cartoons. I think I may have turned them into screen snobs - LOL!

My 5 year old son called it boring. My 13 year son said it was ok but he likes the old one better.

Yesterday my daughter was supposed to be practicing hand writing, but I looked over and she was doodling this instead.

46810986_771097483224212_3757651283654213632_n.jpg

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Yesterday my daughter was supposed to be practicing hand writing, but I looked over and she was doodling this instead.

46810986_771097483224212_3757651283654213632_n.jpg
    She-Ra and her old pal Q-bert! Haha, now she can caption the picture for handwriting practice, I guess!

"We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    She-Ra and her old pal Q-bert! Haha, now she can caption the picture for handwriting practice, I guess!

Right? I was clued in that she was not writing when she said (in Q-bert's voice) 'So much blood' (from Pixels) - LOL! What a little turkey!