Thread: Answers to Fan Q&A 3.13

Answers to Fan Q&A 3.13

Super7 has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 13 questions!

This round of questions were selected by wayne-klops.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

1. ero: Through your partnership with Mattel, do you still have access to their factory and their MOTUC tooling library? If so, are you open to producing certain items through them that you couldn't on your own due to tooling costs?

We do have access, however the ability to take on new products there depends on the state of the available tooling, as much of it is quite old. We are always open to exploring what is possible!

2. sailoruranus: A number of fans feel there are problems with the female buck. Would Super7 fix the height issue, and also return to the original leg articulation?

It really depends on the project. The reality is that the cost of new tooling is difficult to overcome, and is feasible only if we are able to spread that cost across multiple figures. We are open to considering an update, provided there are enough characters available to use the new tooling.

3. wayne-klops: Is it your intention to put all first-release Filmation characters (ones that never had a toy before) in Club Grayskull, which means the simpler aesthetic?

We approach this on a case-by-case basis. With some of the more obscure characters, it may not be realistic to create two separate versions: one for Collector's Choice and one for Club Grayskull. So we pick the version we feel would make the coolest toy possible.

4. bObA_fEtt_Ox: Do you have a clear road map for Club Grayskull to finish that MOTUC subline with the last thirty Filmation variants?

We have a roadmap for where we are taking the line, but it is a more general approach as opposed to focusing on finishing only the animation variants. There are a lot of other characters available to also choose from: characters that had toys in the 80s that differed from the cartoon, characters that were on the cartoon but did not have a toy in the 80s, characters that were on the cartoon and had a modern toy in Collector's Choice, etc. All of these would be cool to see as Club Grayskull figures, so we try to find a balance of all of them when planning the line.

5. mjw41: What new information, if any, can you provide us about the upcoming MOTUC Snake Mountain playset pre-order and production?

Snake Mountain is at the factory and we are finalizing the pricing and shipping logistics now so that we can provide a solid plan to customers. Stay tuned for an announcement!

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 14!
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions with Super7.
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions with Mattycollector.
    And, have fun discussing Super7's answers to your questions!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    This is the best group of questions and answers we’ve ever got it actually seemed like they tried to really give a good answer really excited about Snake mountain

So wait, they haven’t updated the female buck for Filmation She-Ra then?

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Well...I mean....wasn't there some Filmation cartoon that featured mostly female characters? Seems like there could be enough characters to justify that buck in Club Grayskull alone.....
    VBulletin Total Ignore provides improved ignore functionality and removes quoted messages and any post made by an ignored user in a thread.

Information on how to download: https://greasyfork.org/en

The user script itself: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/91...n-total-ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Despotron View Post
    So wait, they haven’t updated the female buck for Filmation She-Ra then?
    They have. We saw this in person at Power Con.

She's fixed in a lot of ways (shin height; torso size)

And as far as female Filmation characters:

Catra (the Classics one is very close, but a proper Filmation one with her cat form would be awesome)
    Entrapta
    Adora
    Magestra
    The Enchantress
    Zilora
    Sibylline
    Glimmer (same case as Catra)
    Perfuma
    Mermista
    Mortella
    Queen Marlena
    Frosta
    Ileena
    Queen Baleena
    Lady Valtira
    Kittrina
    Spydra
    Queen Elmora
    Last edited by bcrduke; December 6, 2018 at 11:23pm.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra, Slamurai, Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Mini-Comic/Vintage Toy costume Catra, The Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, The Twiggets, Melaktha, Sagitar, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, Weapons Paks, Fuerza T figures, 200X Sorceress, King Miro.

Filmation Variants: Prince Adam, Adora, Count Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Modulok, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I don’t think she-ra is a « fix ».she just needed unique tooling because of her unique torso and boots, so they could not use the Filmation Teela / Hawke buck on her. There is something really wrong with the Teela torso and lower legs that have yet to be fixed. Sorceress has the same issues.

Hopefully when they get around to Adora and all the other females Brian listed in his previous post, they will fix that female buck. She-ra and Granita were lucky to get their own unique buck! And yes, having seen various stages of the Filmation She-ra at various shows, she is a stunning figure in terms of sculpting and proportions! She will hopefully be setting a new standard for upcoming Super 7 female figures!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    They have. We saw this in person at Power Con.

She's fixed in a lot of ways (shin height; torso size)

And as far as female Filmation characters:

Catra (the Classics one is very close, but a proper Filmation one with her cat form would be awesome)
    Entrapta
    Adora
    Magestra
    The Enchantress
    Zilora
    Sibylline
    Glimmer (same case as Catra)
    Perfuma
    Mermista
    Mortella
    Queen Marlena
    Frosta
    Ileena
    Queen Baleena
    Lady Valtira
    Kittrina
    Spydra
    Queen Elmora
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    The answer to question 4 seems very clear on their intention to sustain the Club Grayskull by also re-exploring some characters already made in Club Eternia / Collector's choice: Shokoti, Icer ...
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    The answer to question 4 seems very clear on their intention to sustain the Club Grayskull by also re-exploring some characters already made in Club Eternia / Collector's choice: Shokoti, Icer ...
    To my question I had been badly wanting a reply for months, so thanks wayne-klops to have picked it up, they are indeed talking about :

- Filmation variants from toys, so basically the 30 remaining figures you can see in that poll thread :
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...fter-SDCC-2018

- Filmation characters only seen in the cartoon : Hunga, Colonel Blast, Kittrina, Admiral Scurvy, Red knight, Catra cat form, Twiggets, Melaktha.

- Filmation characters we have in CC but for this I only see Evil Seed and Count Marzo who has modern toys from 200X and Filmation variant, but Evil seed has been done already. I do not understand the reply the way you did buddy
    I could be wrong but if not, I do not know and I heavily doubt, even if I found that nice to have proper Filmation characters for the ones you mentionned and others we already got, if they would make again Icer, Shokoti, Strong Arm, Batros, General Sundar, Bugs Bunny...
    Last edited by bObA_fEtt_Ox; December 7, 2018 at 09:41am.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    I do not understand the reply the way you did buddy
    I could be wrong but if not, I do not know and I heavily doubt, even if I found that nice to have proper Filmation characters for the ones you mentionned and others we already got, if they would make again Icer, Shokoti, Strong Arm, Batros, General Sundar, Bugs Bunny...
    Believe me, that was a sentence full of resignation, I tend to be prepared for the worst these last few months.
    I guess the imminent return of Collector's choice is more than welcome for me lately.
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    1. ero: Through your partnership with Mattel, do you still have access to their factory and their MOTUC tooling library? If so, are you open to producing certain items through them that you couldn't on your own due to tooling costs?

We do have access, however the ability to take on new products there depends on the state of the available tooling, as much of it is quite old. We are always open to exploring what is possible!
    This answer confuses me. If they have access to the Mattel's tooling library, why they had to re-sculpt everything from scratch for the waves we've seen so far (except 1st wave of Ultimates and Stridor)?
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    This answer confuses me. If they have access to the Mattel's tooling library, why they had to re-sculpt everything from scratch for the waves we've seen so far (except 1st wave of Ultimates and Stridor)?
    I don’t know why the answer confuses you they made it very clear they are allowed access but new projects depend on the condition of the existing tooling most of it is very old and maynot be useable any longer.

As I understand it a tooled mold will only get just so much use out of it before its no good to use any more.
    Last edited by mjw41; December 7, 2018 at 06:35pm.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Kittrina, Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor.

Those answers make me optimistic about a Filmation Count Marzo for the first time in awhile, I just hope it isn't false hope. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I don’t know why the answer confuses you they made it very clear they are allowed access but new projects depend on the condition of the existing tooling most of it is very old and maynot be useable any longer.

As I understand it a tooled mold will only get just so much use out of it before its no good to use any more.
    I made very clear why it confuses me: if they had access to the tooling library, why they had to re-sculpt? If the tools are not usable, there's no tooling library at all to talk about. Or shoud we suppose all of the toolings for figures issued so far by Super 7 were unusable because of their bad condition? Too many assumptions we have to make, so it is not clear the situation of Mattel's tooling library, IMO.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Hollywood Warrior InspectorZartan's Avatar
    The answers to both 3 and 4 leave me concerned that we’re going to see more examples of characters like Dree-Elle and Montork who end up only getting released in the Club Grayskull line/packaging. I hope that’s not the case. It still pains me (well as much as any toy could pain me) that Drew-Elle and Montork were released that way. I’m going to wait and see but I just have a bad feeling these lines may no longer fit my collector desires going forward. We’ll see. I guess the good thing is there’s tons of stuff Super7 is doing with MOTU that I really enjoy. The bad news is I’d trade all that just to keep the Classics line going as it was instead of this splintering that has happened with the new direction of Club Grayskull
    TOP WANTS
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Malektha/Twiggets/RedKnight
    200X:Miro/Hawke/Illumina/BoneWarrior/ABCGiants
    NA:Nocturna/Sagitar/Kayo/Lizzor/Hoove/Vizar/
    Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    JETLAG:Sebrian/Andros/Drissi/Gleep/UR
    MISC:Delora/MOPDemons/LtAndre/EvilRobot/Damon
    BEASTS:Clawdeen/Storm/Bionotops/Mantisaur/
    TyrantisaurousRex/Moonbeam/Sundancer

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

We approach this on a case-by-case basis. With some of the more obscure characters, it may not be realistic to create two separate versions: one for Collector's Choice and one for Club Grayskull. So we pick the version we feel would make the coolest toy possible.
    Just my personal opinion, but the coolest toy possible would be something with more detail as we see in Collector's Choice versus the oversimplified Club Grayskull stuff. The lack of details in Club Grayskull lack the in-hand wow factor we got in MOTUC for a decade. I really wish figures like Filmation Tung Lashor had more detail. The back of his head looks like a red cue ball. What's cool about lack of details in a collection of much more impressive sculpts?

Heroic Warrior
    For one thing they’re accurate to their onscreen appearances which is fantastic. I say keep doing what S7 has been doing

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, roboto, shadow weaver, entrapta , adora, moss man, stratos, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

"I like Santa!" Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Honestly some of the tooling questions don't make much sense. I understand that tooling is expensive, don't get me wrong. But since Super 7 took over, on average a lot of the figures have had more unique tooling than when Mattel was producing them. Look at how many figures, especially in the Filmation line, now have unique torsos and even sometimes arms, etc. with the armor as part of the sculpt, rather than using the generic torsos, arms, etc. and making armor to put over them.

They can make all of these character specific pieces with apparently no problem, but making some general parts for the female figures to correct the general height and articulation issues, and which can be reused for many female figures, is somehow apparently outside of their budget?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Just my personal opinion, but the coolest toy possible would be something with more detail as we see in Collector's Choice versus the oversimplified Club Grayskull stuff. The lack of details in Club Grayskull lack the in-hand wow factor we got in MOTUC for a decade. I really wish figures like Filmation Tung Lashor had more detail. The back of his head looks like a red cue ball. What's cool about lack of details in a collection of much more impressive sculpts?
    I agree with you. I am pretty much resigned to the perceived fact that Collector's Choice days are numbered, which is understandable considering the obscurity of remaining characters. So I hope Super 7 can deliver to us what I think are must-have in Collector's Choice:

Starburst She-Ra
    King Miro (2000x)
    Hunga the Harpy
    Skeleteen
    Sorceress (2000x)
    Saryn
    The remaining vintage NA figures

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I agree with you. I am pretty much resigned to the perceived fact that Collector's Choice days are numbered, which is understandable considering the obscurity of remaining characters. So I hope Super 7 can deliver to us what I think are must-have in Collector's Choice:

Starburst She-Ra
    King Miro (2000x)
    Hunga the Harpy
    Skeleteen
    Sorceress (2000x)
    Saryn
    It appears that way. It makes sense though. The Filmation figures are probably cheaper to make and are less of a risk for them now.

It'd be a shame if collector's choice is in fact dead. The filmation figures don't do it for me at all and I'd really love to see...

Tuvar
    Baddrah
    Slime-Pit He-Man

...before they close the doors on MOTUC. Dylamug was phenomenal
    "Peanut nostrils, happy clams."
    -Michael J. Nelson

Hollywood Warrior InspectorZartan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post

Starburst She-Ra
    King Miro (2000x)
    Hunga the Harpy
    Skeleteen
    Sorceress (2000x)
    Saryn
    Not a bad list for the most part. I would hate to see Collectors Choice end as I still think there are a lot of characters I’d like to see in the line—but at the same time with the reality of Dree Elle (whose been my #1 top want for 5 or 6 years) and Montork (whose been in my top 5) likely never being in the Collectors Choice line I’ve found myself becoming more indifferent to how long the line continues. Like I want it to keep going, but there’s no one currently missing that represents a bigger hole in my carded Classics display than the seemingly permanent absence of Dree-Elle. So right now I think Miro is a must and I’d be disappointed if we don’t get to him and I’d really like to see NA finished just to say “we did it”, but beyond that while I hope it keeps going there are no other characters beyond those that we could get that will make the line feel “more complete” compared to the gap of incompleteness left by the missing Trollans.
    TOP WANTS
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Malektha/Twiggets/RedKnight
    200X:Miro/Hawke/Illumina/BoneWarrior/ABCGiants
    NA:Nocturna/Sagitar/Kayo/Lizzor/Hoove/Vizar/
    Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    JETLAG:Sebrian/Andros/Drissi/Gleep/UR
    MISC:Delora/MOPDemons/LtAndre/EvilRobot/Damon
    BEASTS:Clawdeen/Storm/Bionotops/Mantisaur/
    TyrantisaurousRex/Moonbeam/Sundancer

I know S7 has not said CC line is going to end, but we're reasonably speculating there are signs for it to be a low priority line or maybe it will end given the apparent success of what became a competitor: CG line. So, in that realm of speculation it would not be a good argument coming from S7 to end the line because what is left are obscure characters: everything else (like Reaction figures, for example) from S7 looks pretty obscure and niche to me, producing obscure characters for niche collectors should be their natural market, they're not mass producers, as far as I know.

@ man-at-work : Add this to their slogan and "Light Hope" saves the day!

This round of questions does not leave me feeling very confident about the future of Collectors Choice.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast