Thread: Ever notice that any read along storybook the stories were just dark and creepy?

Court Magician

Ever notice that any read along storybook the stories were just dark and creepy?

I still love the original artwork for the front covers of the old storybooks such as read along books but i swear the stories to read they were pretty much dark and creepy lol

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    I still love the original artwork for the front covers of the old storybooks such as read along books but i swear the stories to read they were pretty much dark and creepy lol
    Couple of the earliest ones were darker, which may be because they only had a rough storyline and possible some earliest minicomics to use as reference.

But majority of golden storybooks I feel were about action and adventure.

He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

A few of them were, and I loved that about them! For a little kid who preferred the early minicomics to the cartoon, those were a nice Filmation alternative. Of course, the storybooks became very Filmation-infused themselves before too long. One scene that stood out to me in particular was in "Caverns of Fear," when Mer-Man attacks He-Man as he's wading into the underground river. Sure, He-Man takes him out pretty quickly, but Mer-Man was presented as an actual threat, and He-Man even seemed pretty freaked out when he sprung upon him from the depths of the river. I also really liked how Skeletor was referred to as "the Dark Lord" in "The Trap." Made him seem that much more regal and formidable.

My main gripe with many of the storybooks was the art. Many of the early ones, particularly some of the Fred Carillo-illustrated ones, had art that looked very rushed and sketchy. The art improved a great deal when they started getting Eduardo Barretto to illustrate them.

Heroic Warrior
    I can't speak for many of the other ones, but I *LOVED* the book-and-record that came with Point Dread. I listened to it until the record was scratched beyond where it could be reasonably played anymore.

Heroic Warrior
    I also strongly preferred the early MOTU mini-comics & the other comics that came with the vehicles, much more than the cartoon itself. While the mini-comics were sometimes dark & almost "gothic" in tone (and reminded me of fantasy comics like Conan the Barbarian in some cases), the cartoon was much more simplistic & "safe", obviously because the main audience was little kids. I also preferred the more serious Man-at-Arms (without the mustache) & the more animalistic, savage Beast Man to the more 'sanitized' representations of these characters in the cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    I can't speak for many of the other ones, but I *LOVED* the book-and-record that came with Point Dread. I listened to it until the record was scratched beyond where it could be reasonably played anymore.
    Really enjoyed that too. I just read & listened to this again - it's been transferred to Youtube. It really brought back great memories, since I haven't heard this for about 34-35 years. Great illustrations by the iconic comic artist Alfredo Alcala, and the sound effects were fairly cool as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU9We5oeClE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUmOLm_NLms

Court Magician
    the classic Slime Pit had its mini comic but there was a cassette read along storybook that also involved the slime pit and they were pretty dark and scary whatever. Pretty much horror basically.

Did the old Masters of the Universe cartoon show even have the slime pit at all or not since the tv show creators thought the slime pit would be too scary for kids?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    Did the old Masters of the Universe cartoon show even have the slime pit at all or not since the tv show creators thought the slime pit would be too scary for kids?
    It showed in a way during one episode of She-Ra. But it's not the same version as final toy.

Since we know Filmation and Mattel worked closely on creating She-Ra and the villains. It's hard to say if Filmation used an earlier concept idea of Slime Pit (kinda like how Tung Lashor is) or if they otherwise wanted to alter it. For in the episode She-Ra and Loo-Kee's girlfriend fall down a trap-door into a huge pit where they are in slime. The slime is making them weak. And we see a skull nearby, out of which slime is coming out slowly.
    The pit also happens to be home to Slyme Pig.

vlcsnap-01057.jpg

vlcsnap-01075.png
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    The Ladybird cassette tape of "He-Man Meets the Beast" scared the **** out of me as a kid. So did "The Iron Master".

I had the cassette tape for the US book "The Thief of Castle Grayskull" and while it didn't scare me, it was REALLY dark, I loved the dark and eerie atmosphere, which was indeed a refreshing alternative to the lighter feel of the cartoon.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    The Ladybird cassette tape of "He-Man Meets the Beast" scared the **** out of me as a kid. So did "The Iron Master".

I had the cassette tape for the US book "The Thief of Castle Grayskull" and while it didn't scare me, it was REALLY dark, I loved the dark and eerie atmosphere, which was indeed a refreshing alternative to the lighter feel of the cartoon.
    COMPLETELY agree. The atmosphere presented by those books/tapes are how I have always preferred to view MOTU. Caverns of Fear is my absolute favorite.

My Toy/Nerd Blog - Ubernerd, Beyond Loserdome https://beyondloserdome.blogspot.com/

Travel down the Rabbit Hole into my take on the Eternian Mythos:

Direct link to the Google Slides - https://goo.gl/0DJy5p

Link to my Thread in the Fan Fiction Forums - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e-MOTU-Mythos)