Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entrapta – Hero? Villain? Victim?

Totally Dyslexic

Entrapta – Hero? Villain? Victim?

I saw that people seem to enjoy her new characterization. Her new personality seems to connect with people.

Iīm not one of those people and i simply do not get her. Some people say they think she has some kind of autism. Has that been confirmed somewhere?

Her voice isnīt resonating with me as well. That shrieking and yelling makes it almost impossible for me to listen to her.

But the most annoying thing for me is the way they animate her hair. Instead of hair streaks the animators decided to translate the ponytails like extra arms with actual hands. Her hair is forming hands with fingers. Unlike before or the way Marvels Medusa uses her hair. The way they chose to use them reminds me more of Marvels Doctor Octopus tentacles with their robotic fingers.
    Her hair doesīt feel like hair to me and therefor losing itīs purpose.

The way she got left behind felt very forced as well and Entrapta all of a sudden decides to stay put. Ten minutes before that she was running around ignoring her friends and the mission but all of a sudden she can focus for days?!? The whole thing felt very convenient for the people who knew Entrapta had been a true villain before and not a left behind by her friends victim.

I hate that she feels like a victim now and the Horde is simply using her. Pretending to be friends with her. Scorpia is just dump and also used by the Horde...that whole friends thing isn't working for me as well but thatīs different topic.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

The voice isn't big for me either.

Don't know what to say about the hair. For me it works simply because I can see the strands of hair working in unison to form more complex body parts like hands, which would be a natural image for manipulating items in fine detail. She also uses the braids to suspend her body, act as a work bench, and move around.

They made a big deal about Entraptra running off pretty much drilling it into her head that she needed to stop doing that. The point made was that she listened at exactly the wrong time to do so, hence her apparent death. I don't think she was focusing for days, it's fairly apparent she was moving around the Fright Zone's pipework before Catra caught her and using that robot to explore what she could, operating on the idea that her friends would come get her.

Doesn't the Classics bio for Entraptra say she was originally a relative of Angella whom Catra swayed to the Horde's side with talk of improving her reputation? That was probably where the idea for this Face/Heel turn developed from. As to using her, it seems that's part of Horde culture for this universe, but that doesn't negate their ability to be friends.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    The voice isn't big for me either.

Don't know what to say about the hair. For me it works simply because I can see the strands of hair working in unison to form more complex body parts like hands, which would be a natural image for manipulating items in fine detail. She also uses the braids to suspend her body, act as a work bench, and move around.

They made a big deal about Entraptra running off pretty much drilling it into her head that she needed to stop doing that. The point made was that she listened at exactly the wrong time to do so, hence her apparent death. I don't think she was focusing for days, it's fairly apparent she was moving around the Fright Zone's pipework before Catra caught her and using that robot to explore what she could, operating on the idea that her friends would come get her.

Doesn't the Classics bio for Entraptra say she was originally a relative of Angella whom Catra swayed to the Horde's side with talk of improving her reputation? That was probably where the idea for this Face/Heel turn developed from. As to using her, it seems that's part of Horde culture for this universe, but that doesn't negate their ability to be friends.
    No, the classics bio just says that Catra recruited her and that she is following Hordak after he abandons Etheria. That bio is talking about her two colored hair and that she has the longest hair in all of the land. The figures hair is one color and Double Troubles...Mischiefs hair is actually longer that Entraptas... that bio was written for the vintage figure and doesīt fit for the classics figure at all.

Catra is not a good friend, she is basically in love with Adora and now acts as if Adora broke up with her and she hates her now. Scorpia is used for her rune stone and is simply to dump to realize that. She has no where else to go so she stays. Kyle is a lost kid but has no where to go and no one to talk to.

The whole Horde feels like a bunch of desperate "loser" so far including Shadow Weaver

In the original series they wereīt fleshed out that much but at least they had personalties now iīm feeling sad for them and they donīt feel that much of a threat as well. They were changed from quirky not so serious stereotype villains to sad victims. Iīm not sure i like that.

I had hoped for Entrapta to choose to become a Horde member and that Catra used some wit to turn her but that Stockholm Syndrom thing is not my thing.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

None of the above!

Her voice is kinda grating, it's almost as if the voice actress is holding her nose when she is performing Entrapta's voice!

I definitely agree, her defection was clearly forced writing, just going back to her dialogue, it makes no sense "I was just waiting for my friends to get back! They had trouble finding me before, so I figured I'd make it easy for them and just stay put right here!" "This angry feline person seems to be correct... they're not coming back for me!" HELLO!!! The door closed, the chamber got purged by fire, to them you burned up and died, why on earth would you be thinking they would be back if that happened?? The whole scenario is idiotic, it should have simply been her choice to join the Horde, despite them being even more useless and weak than in the 80s show, if they were going to have her crawling about in the walls, it should have been to spy on the Horde, then try to call the others to let them know that she was actually OK, that she had jumped inside her robot, or something, told them the Horde's plan and they come and rescue her and do some damage to the Horde!

Personally I love the new Entrapta, she reminds me a lot of DC's Harley Quinn, in both personality and voice. I love everything about New She-Ra.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    None of the above!

Her voice is kinda grating, it's almost as if the voice actress is holding her nose when she is performing Entrapta's voice!

I definitely agree, her defection was clearly forced writing, just going back to her dialogue, it makes no sense "I was just waiting for my friends to get back! They had trouble finding me before, so I figured I'd make it easy for them and just stay put right here!" "This angry feline person seems to be correct... they're not coming back for me!" HELLO!!! The door closed, the chamber got purged by fire, to them you burned up and died, why on earth would you be thinking they would be back if that happened?? The whole scenario is idiotic, it should have simply been her choice to join the Horde, despite them being even more useless and weak than in the 80s show, if they were going to have her crawling about in the walls, it should have been to spy on the Horde, then try to call the others to let them know that she was actually OK, that she had jumped inside her robot, or something, told them the Horde's plan and they come and rescue her and do some damage to the Horde!
    I agree the scenario felt forced and rather stupid to me. But i have to admit Bow disappointed me the most in that episode. First he doesīt care for Kyle. For Bow friendship is super important but than he is annoyed by a kid who clearly wants to be his friend and than he just gives up. He didnīt give up on saving Glimmer, why did he gave up so fast with Entrapta?

Entrapta with her concentration issues should have been one of their priorities but she wasnīt. Yes, they are acting like kids who are playing some dangerous games but thatīs why i say these characters shouldīt be children. Where are the bright moon guards? Where are the adults? Like Netossa and Spinnerella? This whole scenario was forced to teach them a lesson...*sigh*
    But this is not a group of kids wondering around in the woods after getting lost at summer camp.

And thatīs why iīm wondering if Entraptas condition is mentioned or just speculate? If they know she has issues itīs their responsibility to look after her... they failed on so many levels with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Personally I love the new Entrapta, she reminds me a lot of DC's Harley Quinn, in both personality and voice. I love everything about New She-Ra.
    Your positivity is amazing. I have never been like that. EVER!

As is said i do like some of the ideas the show has but i canīt stand the character designs. Entrapta ended up with an okay redesign but i think she looks more like Gypsy from Gilmore Girls wearing a bad wig for Halloween but was called for a car emergency and has no time to change before getting oiled and dirty under a car.

I see why this new Entrapta reminds you of the poster girl for Stockholm syndrome but she was created years after Entrapta. I see the similarities now i actually havenīt before you mentioned it and now this new version for Entrapta feels even less original to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    No, the classics bio just says that Catra recruited her and that she is following Hordak after he abandons Etheria. That bio is talking about her two colored hair and that she has the longest hair in all of the land. The figures hair is one color and Double Troubles...Mischiefs hair is actually longer that Entraptas... that bio was written for the vintage figure and doesīt fit for the classics figure at all.

Catra is not a good friend, she is basically in love with Adora and now acts as if Adora broke up with her and she hates her now. Scorpia is used for her rune stone and is simply to dump to realize that. She has no where else to go so she stays. Kyle is a lost kid but has no where to go and no one to talk to.

The whole Horde feels like a bunch of desperate "loser" so far including Shadow Weaver

In the original series they wereīt fleshed out that much but at least they had personalties now iīm feeling sad for them and they donīt feel that much of a threat as well. They were changed from quirky not so serious stereotype villains to sad victims. Iīm not sure i like that.

I had hoped for Entrapta to choose to become a Horde member and that Catra used some wit to turn her but that Stockholm Syndrom thing is not my thing.
    I think it's an interesting take on the Horde to have them be made up of outcasts and "losers" who don't quite fit the mold, and I'm hoping there's a real intent behind it. In the old days the Horde were still monsters, but they were largely unsympathetic, even Modulok, because we never got a sense of why they were the way they were. New Scorpia pretty well sums it up that she didn't fit in with the regular princesses, and you get the sense Catra has that same feeling of "not good enough," especially given how readily Shadow Weaver passed her over for "perfect" Adora (this despite Catra being everything Shadow Weaver claimed Adora was). And look, even the princess who didn't quite fit in with the others wound up moving to the Horde, even if by accident.

It hits an interesting note to think there may be some sort of accidental exclusionary idea on the part of the good guys. That maybe the bulk of their enemies wouldn't be their enemies if someone hadn't accidentally created this situation. Nothing I've seen so far indicates the Horde any more just uses people than the Alliance. If anything, Kyle not being "liquidated" due to his own failure as a minion says they're not in the business of just taking tough guys. And Scorpia herself is a Force Captain in her own right and clearly has the accompanying security clearance. The idea that being friendly with her family also netted Hordak the Black Garnet may not hurt, but given how long ago that was, it doesn't seem all that far fetched they still find value in her.

I said somewhere else, this season was great for developing Catra. Now hopefully the writing team knows to give her a bit of a rest and focus on other characters for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree the scenario felt forced and rather stupid to me. But i have to admit Bow disappointed me the most in that episode. First he doesīt care for Kyle. For Bow friendship is super important but than he is annoyed by a kid who clearly wants to be his friend and than he just gives up. He didnīt give up on saving Glimmer, why did he gave up so fast with Entrapta?

Entrapta with her concentration issues should have been one of their priorities but she wasnīt. Yes, they are acting like kids who are playing some dangerous games but thatīs why i say these characters shouldīt be children. Where are the bright moon guards? Where are the adults? Like Netossa and Spinnerella? This whole scenario was forced to teach them a lesson...*sigh*
    But this is not a group of kids wondering around in the woods after getting lost at summer camp.

And thatīs why iīm wondering if Entraptas condition is mentioned or just speculate? If they know she has issues itīs their responsibility to look after her... they failed on so many levels with her.

Your positivity is amazing. I have never been like that. EVER!

As is said i do like some of the ideas the show has but i canīt stand the character designs. Entrapta ended up with an okay redesign but i think she looks more like Gypsy from Gilmore Girls wearing a bad wig for Halloween but was called for a car emergency and has no time to change before getting oiled and dirty under a car.

I see why this new Entrapta reminds you of the poster girl for Stockholm syndrome but she was created years after Entrapta. I see the similarities now i actually havenīt before you mentioned it and now this new version for Entrapta feels even less original to me...
    Wasn't the covert rescue the alternative to Angella just surrendering for her daughter's life? It seemed a bit of a rehash of when Skeletor caught Adora and Randor was ready to send the army to level Snake Mountain, but Man-At-Arms counseled caution. The same logic should apply. If Angella had sent the royal guard, Glimmer was as good as dead.

- - - Updated - - -

None of the above!

I was thinking more like a female Urkel.

It's been pointed out Entraptra doesn't exactly understand other people. It might not have occurred to her that they didn't think she survived given that she did. A fact is usually seen as a given, after all.

She definitely seems to be on the spectrum to me. We have two highly functioning Autistic kids in our extended family and they have some of the same quirks (they get fixated on things, tend to be loners, etc).
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

She may be fixated, get distracted, a loner, but considering how smart she is presented as being, I wouldn't have put her as being stupid enough to think that they had simply abandoned her!

She may be fixated, get distracted, a loner, but considering how smart she is presented as being, I wouldn't have put her as being stupid enough to think that they had simply abandoned her!
    I honestly do not think she has a side, that is part of being a loner. She is obviously more interested in studying the people and world around her than really developing any real attachments/friendships. I also think because she is a student of the world that makes her a bit more gullible. She does not have a strong personality like the rest of the Princesses. She is incredibly book smart, but she is not street smart.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Don't think street smart really applies in this situation, she along with everyone else was told that the rooms would be purged when they closed, I don't think Entrapta would have not known what that meant, plus she had to escape from the flames, so she clearly did know.

The whole part was as it was supposed to be, a way to get her onto Team Horde! It would have been better to have her start as a Horde scientist and more believable.

Don't think street smart really applies in this situation, she along with everyone else was told that the rooms would be purged when they closed, I don't think Entrapta would have not known what that meant, plus she had to escape from the flames, so she clearly did know.

The whole part was as it was supposed to be, a way to get her onto Team Horde! It would have been better to have her start as a Horde scientist and more believable.
    She knew and she did escape. It's just the method she used to escape the flames wasn't something the others would have thought of doing, so they think she's ashes. From her point of view it was probably zero risk beyond getting trapped behind that blast door, and it never occured to her none of the others would see it like that.

Had she started on the Horde, wouldn't they have needed a reason for her not to be running experiments on the Black Garnet herself though? Part of her function was as an independent researcher who was cracking First Ones tech ahead of the more mystically based Shadow Weaver.

Had she started on the Horde, wouldn't they have needed a reason for her not to be running experiments on the Black Garnet herself though? Part of her function was as an independent researcher who was cracking First Ones tech ahead of the more mystically based Shadow Weaver.
    It would have made it a lot more fun and interesting to have it that way though, we could see her being frustrated that she couldn't directly study the Black Garnet and trying to study it behind Shadow Weaver's back whilst trying not to get caught by her!

Totally Dyslexic
    I think it's an interesting take on the Horde to have them be made up of outcasts and "losers" who don't quite fit the mold, and I'm hoping there's a real intent behind it. In the old days the Horde were still monsters, but they were largely unsympathetic, even Modulok, because we never got a sense of why they were the way they were. New Scorpia pretty well sums it up that she didn't fit in with the regular princesses, and you get the sense Catra has that same feeling of "not good enough," especially given how readily Shadow Weaver passed her over for "perfect" Adora (this despite Catra being everything Shadow Weaver claimed Adora was). And look, even the princess who didn't quite fit in with the others wound up moving to the Horde, even if by accident.

It hits an interesting note to think there may be some sort of accidental exclusionary idea on the part of the good guys. That maybe the bulk of their enemies wouldn't be their enemies if someone hadn't accidentally created this situation. Nothing I've seen so far indicates the Horde any more just uses people than the Alliance. If anything, Kyle not being "liquidated" due to his own failure as a minion says they're not in the business of just taking tough guys. And Scorpia herself is a Force Captain in her own right and clearly has the accompanying security clearance. The idea that being friendly with her family also netted Hordak the Black Garnet may not hurt, but given how long ago that was, it doesn't seem all that far fetched they still find value in her.

I said somewhere else, this season was great for developing Catra. Now hopefully the writing team knows to give her a bit of a rest and focus on other characters for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't the covert rescue the alternative to Angella just surrendering for her daughter's life? It seemed a bit of a rehash of when Skeletor caught Adora and Randor was ready to send the army to level Snake Mountain, but Man-At-Arms counseled caution. The same logic should apply. If Angella had sent the royal guard, Glimmer was as good as dead.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking more like a female Urkel.

It's been pointed out Entraptra doesn't exactly understand other people. It might not have occurred to her that they didn't think she survived given that she did. A fact is usually seen as a given, after all.
    Scorpia has proofen herself, she is strong and not bright, she has always been a good soldier.

Angela wanted to give herself up as ransom... stupid idea. But where was the captain of the guard who attended the alliance meeting? Adore could have asked her she would have been a great help and iīm sure she would have helped as would have Spinnerella and Netossa! Adore could have asked them to join them to have some pros at her side.

The Rebellion isnīt doing so well thatīs for sure. Adora should use her strategy knowledge more often and Glimmer is clearly trained but her mood swings are no help and Queen Angela knows that.

As i said before Entrapa starting out as a good princess fells wrong and forced to me. She could have been an independent but Imp could have found her first and Catra could have lured her to help the Horde as a tech specialist.
    Others mentioned that Entrapta doesīt care that much for people and who is surrounding her anyway.

Definitely another in the loooooooooooooooooong list of bad ideas on this new show!

The storylines in the new series don't feel forced at all in my opinion, the whole show flows naturally, and although I will always love Classic POP, I love how the new series' continuity flows brilliantly.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The storylines in the new series don't feel forced at all in my opinion, the whole show flows naturally, and although I will always love Classic POP, I love how the new series' continuity flows brilliantly.
    Madame Razz felt very forced to me. The old person who seems to have lost their mind but in the end is wise and knows more than you think felt very on the noise for example. Very much like original Yoda, if you ask me.

And in Entraptas case she being kept in shackles and handcuffs but easily removing herself similar to Roger Rabbit felt forced as well. Letsīchange up the characters and make them different but many things felt inspired by things we have seen before many times. Maybe the new audience havenīt seen those things but we have.

And who ever says but itīs not your She-Ra. Why not? Why canīt she be everyones ? Me being old doesīt mean iīm not allowed to have opinions on the new version. Surprise everyone with new ideas and new concepts...i donīt think they accomplished that.

Madame Razz felt very forced to me. The old person who seems to have lost their mind but in the end is wise and knows more than you think felt very on the noise for example. Very much like original Yoda, if you ask me.

And in Entraptas case she being kept in shackles and handcuffs but easily removing herself similar to Roger Rabbit felt forced as well. Letsīchange up the characters and make them different but many things felt inspired by things we have seen before many times. Maybe the new audience havenīt seen those things but we have.

And who ever says but itīs not your She-Ra. Why not? Why canīt she be everyones ? Me being old doesīt mean iīm not allowed to have opinions on the new version. Surprise everyone with new ideas and new concepts...i donīt think they accomplished that.
    Enrtraptra being able to remove her shackles at will works for me though. Her hair is prehensile and its unlikely the Horde have any method for countering such an unusual ability short of shaving her bald. Like trying to keep a shapeshifter prisoner in a cage, or how Mr. Fantastic used the air holes in cement to escape one of Dr. Doom's deathtraps. Tropes get repeated throughout all media. While it might be nice to have absolute originality, such talent is beyond rare these days. I'm sure a look into storytelling's past would reveal any number of Yoda-like beings who showed up before a muppet was given Albert Einstein's lip. (Sorry, I've been sitting on that one for so long.) It's hopeful that the next time (or even a future incident) they need to restrain Entraptra someone will have learned from that mistake and been able to neutralize her abilities.

Totally Dyslexic
    Enrtraptra being able to remove her shackles at will works for me though. Her hair is prehensile and its unlikely the Horde have any method for countering such an unusual ability short of shaving her bald. Like trying to keep a shapeshifter prisoner in a cage, or how Mr. Fantastic used the air holes in cement to escape one of Dr. Doom's deathtraps. Tropes get repeated throughout all media. While it might be nice to have absolute originality, such talent is beyond rare these days. I'm sure a look into storytelling's past would reveal any number of Yoda-like beings who showed up before a muppet was given Albert Einstein's lip. (Sorry, I've been sitting on that one for so long.) It's hopeful that the next time (or even a future incident) they need to restrain Entraptra someone will have learned from that mistake and been able to neutralize her abilities.
    Put Entrapta in a force field similar to Glimmer, problem solved. It seemed tech based and not magical. Glimmer could only escape because of her transportation powers.

You donīt have to invent the wheel anew but inspire to find new variants

Put Entrapta in a force field similar to Glimmer, problem solved. It seemed tech based and not magical. Glimmer could only escape because of her transportation powers.

You donīt have to invent the wheel anew but inspire to find new variants
    Ah, but that's the thing, Entraptra is not a runestone Princess and very much is not of interest to the Horde. I don't think Catra and Scorpia actually got a chance to fight her beforehand during the raid so it's unlikely either of them knew they had anything but a techie in their clutches with absurdly long hair. Add to that they were interrogating the girl at the time. and it seems more like a case of Catra not going her "homework," one of the flaws she does have.

Weelllll, she is still a princess, so it's is still going to be of the highest priority for the Horde to take her down!

Weelllll, she is still a princess, so it's is still going to be of the highest priority for the Horde to take her down!
    Highest seems to be overstating her importance. If Drill didn't have a runestone, and no first ones tech, it doesn't seem like Hordak has a reason to prioritize them.

Totally Dyslexic
    Highest seems to be overstating her importance. If Drill didn't have a runestone, and no first ones tech, it doesn't seem like Hordak has a reason to prioritize them.
    In this canon i donīt have the feeling Etheria is important to Hordak.

Shadow Weaver is involved with the cadets. She is from Etheria so she knows there are runestones and First Ones tech. Hordak himself canīt be bothered if you ask me.

Entrapta is not on anyones list, thatīs for sure.

The original Entrapta was treated well by Hordak he even let her stand beside his throne and he interacted with her almost respectful. Things he didnīt do with a lot of his minions.

Iīm not sure this Hordak would do the same with this new version of Entrapta to be honest.

In this canon i donīt have the feeling Etheria is important to Hordak.

Shadow Weaver is involved with the cadets. She is from Etheria so she knows there are runestones and First Ones tech. Hordak himself canīt be bothered if you ask me.

Entrapta is not on anyones list, thatīs for sure.

The original Entrapta was treated well by Hordak he even let her stand beside his throne and he interacted with her almost respectful. Things he didnīt do with a lot of his minions.

Iīm not sure this Hordak would do the same with this new version of Entrapta to be honest.
    It really depends. It has been stated Hordak is searching out First Ones Tech, he's just not so much into the whole "ruler of Etheria" thing beyond keeping whatever areas of the planet have the tech he's looking for. In all likelihood, Shadow Weaver was trying to use Hordak for her own plans of conquest and since she was the only one able to make the Black Garnet DO anything, he didn't really have a lot of choices to replace her with. The moment Entraptra provided a more effective, less secretive alternative, SW was out on her robes. And original Hordak seemed rather fond of Modulok too, a fellow tech-head. If this one has a similar interest, Entraptra may very well be an Island of intelligence in an ocean of mystical ignorance he'd want to keep around. Not be friendly, maybe, but he has been shown fairly reasonable so far, so it depends on how well she's able to increase his control.

Defiitely one of my favorite characters this go round! I don't see her as good or bad but that she has her interests and will find a home with those who appreciate them. I hope that renewed interest in her may spur on demand for her to be released in Club Grayskull. Her Filmation version was very different than what we got in Classics --- plus they could give us bendy hair ala Squeeze's arms!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2019!!!

Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey Squall Starburst She-Ra ScratchinSound Catra Grot Caz Drissi Crystal Moonbeam/Sun Dancer Meliac NA Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Kowla Red Eye Brightmoon Palace Guards