Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Why He-Man Is "Not on the Table" for Netflix's 'She-Ra' Reboot"

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    And it's not about liking or disliking (sweeping away the paid noise, it stands at a pitiful 16% popularity), if I had presented this as part of my final year presentation, I would not have passed, it fails on pretty much every level!
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry.

Zentron, the additional rules for this forum were added for a reason. If you don't like something? That's fine! You are free to like or dislike whatever you want. But, if you are posting criticism, then it's also up to you to post constructive reasoning behind that criticism.

If you don't think they would do a good job writing a new He-Man cartoon (think being the operative word, as you do not know. none of us know), then you are free to say as such, but then you are to also add examples in a constructive format (not side, snarky, or rude remarks) to support your position.

Please be sure to do this moving forward for any more discussion here on the forums related to the new She-Ra cartoon.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Where does one start with this show, there is nothing really anything good to say about it, the backgrounds are only good a part of the time, but in general, everything is lazily and half done, every episode feels like they're done from a first draft, nothing comes together at all and the animation, at best, average, especially for something done in recent days. I'll be putting up several hour long videos on YouTube lambasting the entire show before I get on to each episode, expect each of those to last up to an hour as well, in several cases, an hour and a half or two.

And yes I could write better stories, I'm sure there's probably many people that visit these forums who could write better stories than what we got... and more coherent ones too! There's official reasons for doing things, then there's the real reasons.

Zentron, the new She-Ra has brilliant animation, fantastic writing, and a compelling story arc with amazing revisions of the characters. It's obviously doing a lot right because more seasons have been ordered. You can be negative all you want, but you can't change the fact that the show is appealing to fans, old and new, and the inclusivity, equality, and diversity are definitely a step in the right direction.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'll be putting up several hour long videos on YouTube lambasting the entire show before I get on to each episode, expect each of those to last up to an hour as well, in several cases, an hour and a half or two.
    I'm interested in listening to your more extended thoughts (I will at least check out the first video that you put up to see if I'd be interested in continuing to watch the rest). I enjoy well thought out criticism whether it's for movies/TV shows that I like or not. If I find the subject matter interesting enough, I enjoy checking out such things.

I have mixed feelings on this reboot. I don't entirely hate it (at least the episodes that I've watched, I got through the first 6 and have yet to watch the rest), but it could be A LOT better IMO from what I have seen so far.

Is Zentron also your Youtube name, or is it something else?

And yes I could write better stories...
    What is your professional writing background? Since you are touting your ability to write better stories as though it is fact, I'd like to check out your resume. I'd also like to check out the accolades you have received for being a good writer. As long as you can back up your claims, I'll certainly give credit where credit is due.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Zentron, the new She-Ra has brilliant animation, fantastic writing, and a compelling story arc with amazing revisions of the characters. It's obviously doing a lot right because more seasons have been ordered. You can be negative all you want, but you can't change the fact that the show is appealing to fans, old and new, and the inclusivity, equality, and diversity are definitely a step in the right direction.
    Uhhmm... compelling story? Maybe. Depends on what you are looking for. But fantastic writing is a bit far stretched, it is far from fantastic. Perhaps a lot of it gets lost in translation from English to German, and I hate the English voices so much that I couldn't stand watching it. "Brilliant animation" is where you completely lost me. Some of the Makoto Shinkai movies like Garden of Words etc. are movies you can attest brilliant animation. She-Ra's animation is mediocre at best, due to the inconsistencies probably even worse than that.
    And we can also be happy that this new version gives us equality and diversity. The old She-Ra show was so regressive it was almost impossible to endure.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    What is your professional writing background? Since you are touting your ability to write better stories as though it is fact, I'd like to check out your resume. I'd also like to check out the accolades you have received for being a good writer. As long as you can back up your claims, I'll certainly give credit where credit is due.
    Noelle Stevenson has almost 0 professional writing background and it is enough to become a show runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Melfis View Post
    Uhhmm... compelling story? Maybe. Depends on what you are looking for. But fantastic writing is a bit far stretched, it is far from fantastic. Perhaps a lot of it gets lost in translation from English to German, and I hate the English voices so much that I couldn't stand watching it. "Brilliant animation" is where you completely lost me. Some of the Makoto Shinkai movies like Garden of Words etc. are movies you can attest brilliant animation. She-Ra's animation is mediocre at best, due to the inconsistencies probably even worse than that.
    And we can also be happy that this new version gives us equality and diversity. The old She-Ra show was so regressive it was almost impossible to endure.

Noelle Stevenson has almost 0 professional writing background and it is enough to become a show runner.
    I do have a professional writing background, and I believe Noelle Stevenson is a very talented writer and producer. I love both Classic and New POP, and neither of them is in any way regressive. Both promote equality and diversity, in regard to freedom fighters battling a totalitarian government. Both have beautiful animation and character portrayals as well as brilliant acting.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

On a 'professional' level, by which meaning having received a fee for something I have written, I got nothing, as I have never saught that life, besides, being 'professional' doesn't guarantee that you can write for smeg! Check out any Ewe Boll movie, the Ghostbusters reboot, the RoboCop reboot, Michael Bay movies, that first American Godzilla movie, there's a plethora of examples in visual media that show a lack of writing talent by 'professionals'... plus most of what I have written for are online comics and I couldn't link in anyway, they are 100% against the rules and most of them are not completed too for various reasons, also the only item I have been recruited to work on which has been rated, the closure of the Palcomix forum led to us abandoning the project and I can't take credit entirely for the story, as I merely rewrote the story with the original creator's permission, though incomplete is rated 4.1 at e-hentai. But you can view part of my Dungeons & Dragons comic in my art thread here in tAnimation.

Extremely off topic now, so I'll just say that story and script writing was a big part of getting my Higher National Diploma in Film & Television Design, and my Bachelor of Arts Degree in Animation... I have many other academic qualifications, but I feel weird as it is just stating those two!

If we're comparing academic accolades, I have a Bachelor Of Arts (Honours) in Liberal Arts Studies, Creative Writing, Professional Writing & Editing, Script Writing, and Film Studies, and I'm a freelance editor and music journalist. I recognise good writing when I see it, and New She-Ra has all that and more. I've had musicians thank me in their CD's liner notes, and send me free gifts, including a CD from Val Kilmer himself, and Susan Cowsill put my article that I wrote for her on her website. I am well qualified to judge the worthiness of many aspects of a film or TV product.

"Has almost 0..."
    Having some is not zero.

But Noelle is not just "some". She has been both a writer and artist working in the comic book industry since 2012, working for both BOOM and Marvel comics. She's also both Eisner nominated and an Eisner winner; a 2-award winner for Lumberjanes I might add.

With me being an eighteen-year veteran professional of the comic book industry, I can assure you how well Noelle is respected for her talent and accomplishments. She has both the writing and artistic chops.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, if memory serves, it was the team who got the award for Lumberjanes, not simply Noelle! Also whenever I see or read an interview of her, she's always saying 'too difficult to write', which if she is as awesome as some people are claiming she is, then I would not expect that to be coming from her.

But back on topic, if we do ever get to see He-Man in the DreamWorks She-Ra, we'll see who is right and who is wrong!

Hmm, if memory serves, it was the team who got the award for Lumberjanes, not simply Noelle! Also whenever I see or read an interview of her, she's always saying 'too difficult to write', which if she is as awesome as some people are claiming she is, then I would not expect that to be coming from her.
    In my experience, when people say something is difficult to write, they are pointing out the challenge of it. When you write for a licensed property that has a history, you know you have a big mountain to climb. You know you have older fans you don't want to ignore, and you also have a new audience you want to connect with because that's vital to the on-going success of an IP, and you also need to create something that appeases those higher up the ladder. It's usually a challenge to find the right tone.

For example, I never thought writing the 200x comic was easy. I had a lot to consider, and this is coming from an uber fan with an intimate knowledge of the brand.

But back on topic, if we do ever get to see He-Man in the DreamWorks She-Ra, we'll see who is right and who is wrong!
    Well, we'll be back to the subjective nature of opinion. I'm sure a new He-Man cartoon, no matter who produces it, will be met with the same scrutiny that any new take on an existing franchise would receive.

True, though every time she has said it, she drops it altogether, even though many people have pointed out how easy it would have been to write in, another person, in a YouTube vid, either yesterday or the day before, pointed out that it would have been easy for her to keep her identity in the confines of the world as it is (I'll link the vid when I find it). So yes there are difficulties in writing, but just because something is difficult, doesn't mean it can't be done! Same thing with art, difficult doesn't mean squat, just presents you with a challenge!

Again I also agree, just like New Adventures, dismissed by many because the character designs looked too different and the setting was different than the Filmation one, those of us who could easily see past that, thought it was awesome... even though the scientists were annoying as heck!

I agree that New Adventures Of He-Man was awesome, and as I love both Classic & New MOTU as well as Classic & New POP, I also believe a remake of NA Of HM would do just as well, mostly because I love Tuskador, Sagitar, Hydron, and Flipshot, as well as Mara, Critta, and Drissi and believe all those characters would benefit from a remake.

I also have to say to JVS3 that writing the MOTU comic may not have been easy, but it sure was awesome and the creative people at MVCreations made it look like it was second nature. I won't lie, I'm not particularly talented as an artist, yet I appreciate great art, but I am a trained writer and would love a chance to work on something awesome like MOTU/POP/NA someday as well as my own ideas and stories.

Totally Dyslexic
    I agree that New Adventures Of He-Man was awesome, and as I love both Classic & New MOTU as well as Classic & New POP, I also believe a remake of NA Of HM would do just as well, mostly because I love Tuskador, Sagitar, Hydron, and Flipshot, as well as Mara, Critta, and Drissi and believe all those characters would benefit from a remake.

I also have to say to JVS3 that writing the MOTU comic may not have been easy, but it sure was awesome and the creative people at MVCreations made it look like it was second nature. I won't lie, I'm not particularly talented as an artist, yet I appreciate great art, but I am a trained writer and would love a chance to work on something awesome like MOTU/POP/NA someday as well as my own ideas and stories.
    For what ever reason 200X and the MVCreation comics didnīt resonate with the audience. I loved both but the numbers proof both have been a failure in the end...

BUT that She-Ra exclusive figured alone proofed POP could have been part of that new canon. Plus all the amazing pictures gbagok provided us for years now. And thatīs why i think creating a world and story where the other parts of the well know narrative doesīt really fit into is selfish and a little ignorant.

Ms. Stevenson is all for "including" and than she is the one who has no interest in including MOTU.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I don't think Noelle Stevenson is at all selfish and ignorant, I would love a new MOTU as much as the next person, but perhaps Ms Stevenson wants She-Ra to have her time in the spotlight first and maybe add some MOTU elements later on. However, I agree that She-Ra needs a chance to prove herself first without leaning on her brother's shoulders so to speak. I don't think MOTU 2002+ or MVC were failures, and I don't care for numbers much, they have their well deserved place in the history of the franchise, and perhaps there might be another chance for MOTU or NA someday, and I hope there is, but this is She-Ra's time.

Totally Dyslexic
    You are right She-Ra doesīt need He-Man to be a strong heroine and the whole property should shine.

Even back in the 80-ties Adora didnīt needed Adam to fight her fights but she missed him and her family once she knew they were part of her life. She chose to spent time with them and thatīs what missing right now if you ask me.

Maybe you donīt feel like 200X was a failure and i can say i certainly never thought they were but i remember the day when i went to my comic store waiting for the new Masters issue being released and the person behind the counter telling me there won't be new issues any more. I was devastated. I hoped that the comics would lead us to Etheria and POP...

As much as i love POP itīs not complete until MOTU is included and vis versa. And that leads to NA. For me all three belong together and should be presented
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    You are right She-Ra doesīt need He-Man to be a strong heroine and the whole property should shine.

Even back in the 80-ties Adora didnīt needed Adam to fight her fights but she missed him and her family once she knew they were part of her life. She chose to spent time with them and thatīs what missing right now if you ask me.

Maybe you donīt feel like 200X was a failure and i can say i certainly never thought they were but i remember the day when i went to my comic store hopping the new Masters comics being out and the person behind the counter telling me there won't be new issues any more. I was devastated. I hoped that the comics would lead us to Etheria and POP...

As much as i love POP itīs not complete until MOTU is included and vis versa. And that leads to NA. For me all three belong together and should be presented
    I agree with all you've said here, especially about MOTU, POP, and NA all deserving a place to shine in the new stories and updated franchises, but I'm just happy that at least part of the mythos is being represented. MOTU has a special place in people's hearts, POP is having it's time to shine, and hopefully NA will follow suit - I especially would love to see an amazing character like Tuskador be brought back. Hating and bashing parts of the mythos achieves nothing but hurts everyone. I'm not saying you've done this, but some have, and it is this negative and non-constructive behaviour that cost us MOTU's time in the sun back in the last decade. I don't want that to happen to She-Ra.

Where does one start with this show, there is nothing really anything good to say about it, the backgrounds are only good a part of the time, but in general, everything is lazily and half done, every episode feels like they're done from a first draft, nothing comes together at all and the animation, at best, average, especially for something done in recent days. I'll be putting up several hour long videos on YouTube lambasting the entire show before I get on to each episode, expect each of those to last up to an hour as well, in several cases, an hour and a half or two.

And yes I could write better stories, I'm sure there's probably many people that visit these forums who could write better stories than what we got... and more coherent ones too! There's official reasons for doing things, then there's the real reasons.
    I guarantee you they will say nothing that couldn't be said in thirty to fourty minutes.

I guess I'm not sure why people won't, or can't, say exactly why they think this reboot exists and why He-man is not in it. Granted, this is my opinion and I'm sure there will be some who vehemently disagree with it and that's fine. My guess is...

...this show is about female empowerment and having a dominant, strong, male lead doesn't fit the agenda. There's seemingly no way to put He-man in it without either emasculating him to some degree or taking some emphasis/effect away from She-ra and what the purpose of this show is. It's odd that people keep wanting to tip toe around the fact that this show is exactly what it appears to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    I guess I'm not sure why people won't, or can't, say exactly why they think this reboot exists and why He-man is not in it. Granted, this is my opinion and I'm sure there will be some who vehemently disagree with it and that's fine. My guess is...

...this show is about female empowerment and having a dominant, strong, male lead doesn't fit the agenda. There's seemingly no way to put He-man in it without either emasculating him to some degree or taking some emphasis/effect away from She-ra and what the purpose of this show is. It's odd that people keep wanting to tip toe around the fact that this show is exactly what it appears to be.
    He-Man and She-Ra being equals wouldn't detract from She-Ra, and I'm sure the creators know that. That said, this new POP show is about She-Ra. He-Man, if he appeared, I'm sure would only have the occasional cameo just like in the vintage cartoon.

JVS3, just wanted to tell you that I really appreciate your style as a moderator and how you deal with people. You do great with people who are upset and are kind to them and it pays off. This is the only website I ever donated to and I think it's because you were fantastic in how you dealt with me during the great e-mail registration crisis years back. You saw past me being upset and into why I was upset, I think.

Just as you're doing with Zentron now. I'm sure He-Man would be proud
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    JVS3, just wanted to tell you that I really appreciate your style as a moderator and how you deal with people. You do great with people who are upset and are kind to them and it pays off. This is the only website I ever donated to and I think it's because you were fantastic in how you dealt with me during the great e-mail registration crisis years back. You saw past me being upset and into why I was upset, I think.

Just as you're doing with Zentron now. I'm sure He-Man would be proud
    I wish people were being kinder to me since my return, the way I've been treated by certain people has made me wonder why I came back, and I feel it's already time to just leave again, permanently that is. I came back to catch up with old friends and to celebrate the New She-Ra series, but it seems it's a crime to be positive about things. Not a lot of people have been kind to me when I've been upset lately, and I have never sought out to be rude or snarky the way so many people in the Anti-She-Ra crowd have been lately. It seems only negativity is rewarded on the forums lately, and that's just not the He-Man.Org I once knew and loved. I would have thought He-Man and She-Ra would be more proud of those who have welcomed their new incarnations with open arms and heart and tried to be positive and rejoicing that we have a new POP in the first place.

Totally Dyslexic
    I wish people were being kinder to me since my return, the way I've been treated by certain people has made me wonder why I came back, and I feel it's already time to just leave again, permanently that is. I came back to catch up with old friends and to celebrate the New She-Ra series, but it seems it's a crime to be positive about things. Not a lot of people have been kind to me when I've been upset lately, and I have never sought out to be rude or snarky the way so many people in the Anti-She-Ra crowd have been lately. It seems only negativity is rewarded on the forums lately, and that's just not the He-Man.Org I once knew and loved. I would have thought He-Man and She-Ra would be more proud of those who have welcomed their new incarnations with open arms and heart and tried to be positive and rejoicing that we have a new POP in the first place.
    I can only speak for myself but iīm amazed how positive you are. I said it before, iīm way more bitter than you but my posts do show that.

But i have the feeling that you are afraid of negativity. You seem to want it all positive and happy. I can appreciate that POP is seen as a success again and i can say it but iīm not agreeing with the product the new showrunners have delivered.

Many decisions confuse me and iīm shaking my head a lot when i watch the episodes. And yes, i watched some multiple times by now. Itīs POP and i want to embrace it and itīs not my cup of tea but still seeing new POP stories is great.

What i want to tell you: Donīt expect people to have the same connection to this POP as you have. But i can say we are celebrating POPs return none the less but everyone in his/her own way and that knowledge should bring joy to you. It does for me