Thread: Answers to Fan Q&A 3.14

Answers to Fan Q&A 3.14

Super7 has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 14 questions!

This round of questions were selected by Soothe777.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

1. sailoruranus: On the first wave of retro 5.5" figures, a number of fans have received armor that is too small (especially on He-Man), and the leg joints can be still stiff and brittle. Are these issues being addressed for future 5.5" releases?

Yes, the QC issues with the retro figures have been addressed and corrected going forward.

2. OnlyOneSkeletor: Is it a priority for Super7 to obtain the available MOTUC tooling from Mattel's factory, and how will this affect the way Super7 builds its future selections?

Getting tooling from Mattel has been doable on a couple select projects previously, but because of the extra layer of communication and planning, these projects tend to move much slower than projects using our own tooling. Our priority is to make great products and deliver as timely as possible, so we will continue to use our own tooling for the majority of products.

3. zodak74: Will improvements will be made to your packing & shipping process? A number of fans have received damaged items because the figures are not packed in a shipping box with ample protection around the product.

Yes, we have isolated and addressed the issue with our shipping process to ensure that products are shipped correctly with adequate packing.

4. Soothe777: Why don't you have the factory paint detailed applications onto the faces of the figures?

In the case of Club Grayskull, the faces of our figures are painted to match the cartoon colors of each character and are quite accurate. With Collector's Choice, we match the paint applications to the paint masters created by Four Horsemen, including soft spray details, dry brush, and paint wash applications as needed.

5. bigsexy_j: Why was the Holiday He-Man figure limited to 2 per customer, followed by Super7 cancelling orders, but then a week later BigBadToyStore has the figure with a limit of 10 per customer and they still have the figure in stock?

BigBadToyStore has been our distribution partner throughout the MOTU license. And as with previous releases, we provided BBTS with the opportunity to carry the Holiday He-Man. This arrangement and quantities were set well in advance of the release to the public.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 15!
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions with Super7.
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions with Mattycollector.
    And, have fun discussing Super7's answers to your questions!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Interesting about the Mattel tooling library. Any peek behind the screen is cool by me. :^)
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar

Answers to Fan Q&A 3.14

4. Soothe777: Why don't you have the factory paint detailed applications onto the faces of the figures?

In the case of Club Grayskull, the faces of our figures are painted to match the cartoon colors of each character and are quite accurate. With Collector's Choice, we match the paint applications to the paint masters created by Four Horsemen, including soft spray details, dry brush, and paint wash applications as needed.
    Was this adequately answered, Soothe? I interpreted the question to be asking for a bit more than you got back, here (I.e., why arenít faces fully painted, why are the details on some so much worse than the prototypes, etc), and I thought this answer seemed like a bit of a dodge.
    Last edited by Streamside; January 3, 2019 at 08:33pm.
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    Was this adequately answered, Soothe? I interpreted the question to be asking
    For a bit more than you got back, here (I.e., why aren’t faces fully painted, why are the details on some so much worse than the prototypes, etc), and I thought this answer seemed like a bit of a dodge.
    Seems thorough to me. They detailed what they do for painting faces.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I think the question is worded wrongly which has resulted in a swerving of the issue. Poor show. We would all like to know why the FLESH of the faces is rarely painted on CG figures. Man at Arms was magnificent, Sorceress and Teela waxy faced apparitions. The CG ultimate He Man suffers the same shiny fate.

And to be honest Val, you know that’s the question here.

Despotron and I are on the same page here. Iím more curious about what Soothe thinks re: his intent vs. the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Thanks for picking my question Soothe777,
    I think we got a clearer picture on what could potentially be
    in the next few months at least.
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

If they don't paint the faces, then they at the LEAST need to change the types of plastic used or cut black on the additive that makes the current plastic come out so shiny. What ever the process is, that's your issue. The current process is flawed and I wouldn't even consider that an opinion.

I don't know how anyone can honestly say that the "shiny" look is "better" then what we were getting before. Take one look at the Matty Filmation He-Man and another at the Holiday He-Man for instance. It's night and day in terms of a quality look.

I appreciate the straight forward answer, but I don't think they understood the question about the painted faces. Will need to revisit.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking people are asking for fully painted faces, not head cast in flesh tones with details painted on. In cases like Filmation Sorceress it makes a world of difference and the shine on some of the new figures makes them look not so in line with the Mattel releases.
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Despotron View Post
    And to be honest Val, you know that’s the question here.
    I can't read your mind. And you can't read mine. So ultimately, I have no idea what it is you are gleaning out of these answers. Sorry if that is coming across as harsh, but let's be fair about this.

The original question was more vague (no offense, Soothe777). So if some of you specifically want to know specifically "why the FLESH of the faces is rarely painted on CG figures", then someone should ask that. Because I don't know that. Only you all who have that question will know that.

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    I'm thinking people are asking for fully painted faces, not head cast in flesh tones with details painted on. In cases like Filmation Sorceress it makes a world of difference and the shine on some of the new figures makes them look not so in line with the Mattel releases.
    Thank you for not presuming on me.

If that's the case, we should all consider that we've seen various treatments over the years of casting and paint apps, even when MOTUC was at Mattel. So, if what you proposed is the case for a lot of fans, then hopefully someone will follow up in future Q&As with that specific question.

Heroic Warrior
    Feels like this round of questions was a little bit....not sure of the word..."justify your actions".

I can't read your mind. And you can't read mine. So ultimately, I have no idea what it is you are gleaning out of these answers. Sorry if that is coming across as harsh, but let's be fair about this.

The original question was more vague (no offense, Soothe777). So if some of you specifically want to know specifically "why the FLESH of the faces is rarely painted on CG figures", then someone should ask that. Because I don't know that. Only you all who have that question will know that.

Thank you for not presuming on me.

If that's the case, we should all consider that we've seen various treatments over the years of casting and paint apps, even when MOTUC was at Mattel. So, if what you proposed is the case for a lot of fans, then hopefully someone will follow up in future Q&As with that specific question.
    Good advice! Haha. Just posted in the Questions thread. Hopefully it gets picked.

Good advice! Haha. Just posted in the Questions thread. Hopefully it gets picked.
    The way you phrased it in the question submission thread makes sense to me.

Now that I understand exactly what some of you want, I think I can already guess the response if that question gets picked. Since the Filmation cartoon uses flat tones, I'm pretty sure they are going for that same aesthetic on the figures. And that makes sense, at least from my perspective.

Even with Collector's Choice, I doubt they are going to do the detailed paint apps like they did in the very beginning with Teela. We were told a very long time that the detailed paint application on just the heads added cost to figures. Given how far we are into this line, and how sales have slowed, I would imaging less paint hits to be the norm.

Sorry, not trying to be a wet blanket. I totally understand why that paint process on the head sculpts is desired! But my gut tells me it's not practical at this stage in the line, and also not in line with how the Filmation figures have been treated thus far.

Was this adequately answered, Soothe? I interpreted the question to be asking for a bit more than you got back, here (I.e., why arenít faces fully painted, why are the details on some so much worse than the prototypes, etc), and I thought this answer seemed like a bit of a dodge.
    I don't think so. I think what the question was intending to ask is why don't they fully paint the flesh coloured faces like Matty used to, instead of using the flesh coloured plastic which results in the horrible shiny plastic faces. IMO this is the single biggest problem with the S7 figures and I'd rather not get anymore human figures until they start painting the faces and skin parts.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

It’s a shame that Super7 seem happy to settle for quite accurate faces, rather than striving for extremely accurate faces.

It’s frustrating that they are cutting back on paint apps when you see figures like Marvel Legends at $20 with stunningly accurate face prints. And yes I understand precisely why Hasbro has the budget for that and Super7 doesn’t, but it’s still a shame when your ‘premium’ figures look so much cheaper.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

The way you phrased it in the question submission thread makes sense to me.

Now that I understand exactly what some of you want, I think I can already guess the response if that question gets picked. Since the Filmation cartoon uses flat tones, I'm pretty sure they are going for that same aesthetic on the figures. And that makes sense, at least from my perspective.

Even with Collector's Choice, I doubt they are going to do the detailed paint apps like they did in the very beginning with Teela. We were told a very long time that the detailed paint application on just the heads added cost to figures. Given how far we are into this line, and how sales have slowed, I would imaging less paint hits to be the norm.

Sorry, not trying to be a wet blanket. I totally understand why that paint process on the head sculpts is desired! But my gut tells me it's not practical at this stage in the line, and also not in line with how the Filmation figures have been treated thus far.
    I hear ya. The prototypes are always painted because they have to be, which lends to an even wider chasm between expectation and reality. I think most fans might feel somewhat better if the plastic wasn't so shiny/reflective. If they could matte it down a bit that might be an improvement.

I hear ya. The prototypes are always painted because they have to be, which lends to an even wider chasm between expectation and reality. I think most fans might feel somewhat better if the plastic wasn't so shiny/reflective. If they could matte it down a bit that might be an improvement.
    That makes complete sense, so thanks for pointing that out.

In my head, I knew the prototypes are cast material with a paint app on it, and I know the actual production will be different.

But I can see how for fans when they see a more matte finish on the prototypes, how it's a bit of a shocker to have the gloss of the plastic used at Super7's factory. It's never bothered me much, but I totally understand why some people don't like it.

It's an easy fix, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I was just looking at my latest wave of Star Wars 6" Black figures and those are fine and are NOT painted other then the applications like eyes, lips etc. For those that are curious take a look at those for reference, it's the Dengar wave. Leia Hoth, Lando Skiff etc. It can easily be done if the whole full paint route is too expensive to do.

If they would simply lighten up on whatever is IN or placed ON TOP of the plastic when making them it would make a WORLD of difference. Same thing for the bodies.
    Last edited by Riddle of Steel; January 4, 2019 at 06:20pm.

Despotron and I are on the same page here. Iím more curious about what Soothe thinks re: his intent vs. the result.

Suppose my question wasnít good enough really. Just wanted to know why we get shiny plastic faces. Hopefully that will get addressed in the next round.

Heroic Warrior
    I think you’re question wasn’t the problem the real problem is that they look at these shiny faces and tell the factory to go into production. For example the holiday He man head is a great sculpt but man he looks like a cheap knockoff compared to the original filmation he man I wish they felt the same way about the faces like we do

We’re all in agreement that the shiny plastic faces look like cheap knock offs. We have been complaining about it for ages. The Horsemen have been spot on with the face sculpts (even Teela) only to be let down by the factory when it comes to paint apps or lack there of.

The latest shots of wave 4 show Prince Adam with painted flesh...are we to get our hopes up that these are production samples or are they prototypes?

Quote Originally Posted by Soothe777 View Post
    Suppose my question wasnít good enough really. Just wanted to know why we get shiny plastic faces. Hopefully that will get addressed in the next round.
    Thanks, Soothe. *we* knew what you meant!