Thread: Power-Con 2018 - Origins of Masters of the Universe Classics Panel

Power-Con 2018 - Origins of Masters of the Universe Classics Panel

It was first teased in a glass cabinet at SDCC in 2007. And now the line has run for an impressive ten years. Come find out how one of the most popular toy lines of all time got started and has endured for so long.
    Featuring: Four Horsemen, Bill Benecke, Scott Neitlich, David Voss
    Moderator: Brian Galbreath
    Video editing: Daniel Benedict

Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Very nice watch.

I can still remember those few.....that no longer seem to be around now....that were always angry,always going to the BBB,always contacting Mattel. I guess they really did sink the ship. But a new ship with super7 was around the corner.

Fact is love him or not,Scott(toyguru) was and is the face of motuc.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Heroic Warrior
    I've been waiting a while for this one! Thanks for uploading it, Val! Great stuff!

Some interesting tidbits:

The next wave of MOTUC vs DC was going to have Man-At-Arms vs Batman, Deadshot vs Trap Jaw and Sy-Klone vs Red Tornado.

Stridor was meant to be released by Mattel as well as a lot of the figures already released by Super7 (except Wrap Trap).

Prince Keldor and Randor 2-pack from the Origin of Skeletor mini-comic was going to be a SDCC exclusive.

Hans Hammer Holder was meant to be released in MOTUC as a mirror to Tuskador (I think I'm remembering that phrasing right, but correct me if I'm wrong).
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Vintage Attack Trak, POP Vintage Variants completed, NA Vintage completed, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Ice Armor He-Man, Skeleteen

Thank you for uploading these panels. It's definitely piquing my interest in 2019's Power-Con.

Yes, thanks for posting all these videos, I'm watching them back to front, very interesting!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Thanks for posting!

Very interesting about the production numbers. Finally got confirmation. The original goal was 7,000-8,000 units per figure and went up to about 14,000 to 15,000 (mentioned a bit after the 8 minute mark).

Also interesting that Hans Hammer Holder and Lady Slither were in the original plans for 2016 by Mattel.
    Last edited by The All American; January 5, 2019 at 11:51am.

On a side note, I'm excited to see what Super7 does on it's own once they are past fulfilling the plotted-out-by-Mattel Classics/Collector's Choice line. What characters they might think are cool to produce as action figures and all that. I do hope to see Lady Slither and Hans Hammer Holder in an upcoming wave, but am equally excited about "surprises" (assuming the Four Horsemen are still cranking out the sculpts and designs).

ToyGuru singing the same song again. But at the same time, I get it. Look at what happened after he left. Mattel didn't want to pay anybody to do what he did, and that's just ridiculous. Nobody in the world wants to do an insane amount of work with zero compensation.

Anyway, this was really interesting! I often wondered what the 'magic' numbers were.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 5, 2019 at 05:14pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Very interesting about the production numbers. Finally got confirmation. The original goal was 7,000-8,000 units per figure and went up to about 14,000 to 15,000 (mentioned a bit after the 8 minute mark).
    It's not far off our own fan estimates back in the early days of Classics, when all of else were speculating on numbers. And, of course, those numbers have fallen quite a bit sense then (the natural decay of a toy line)

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Nobody in the world wants to do an insane amount of work with zero compensation.
    Weeeeeell... I do an insane amount of work for the Org and Power-Con on a regular basis for zero compensation.
    It takes a certain type of "crazy" to give the fan base a number of the things that have been enjoyed for year.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It's not far off our own fan estimates back in the early days of Classics, when all of else were speculating on numbers. And, of course, those numbers have fallen quite a bit sense then (the natural decay of a toy line)

Weeeeeell... I do an insane amount of work for the Org and Power-Con on a regular basis for zero compensation.
    It takes a certain type of "crazy" to give the fan base a number of the things that have been enjoyed for year.
    Yup,I remember the number around here always being around 10,000 as the average guess. Not far off.

As for your work Val, I see you as motu. All of it. The amount of information from your conventions is just unreal. The amount of work on this site is unmatched and we have 13 (I believe,counting individual figures) amazing figures which most of them we would never have gotten with out power con.

I so bad want to come but I have said before I don’t think I can fly. Anyone ever ride a train cross country before? Anyway,these videos may be the closest I come. And I am very grateful for everyone’s great work. Thank you.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Oops. Sorry JV....looks like I stuck my foot right in my mouth.

Seriously though, we would be totally lost without you!!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 5, 2019 at 09:14pm.
    Odd Man Out