Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you support a new mass retail 6 inch line from Mattel alongside S7ís Classics?

Heroic Warrior

Would you support a new mass retail 6 inch line from Mattel alongside S7ís Classics?

Mattel is at a disadvantage in the Boys Toys category after losing the DC license and, more the shame, just a few waves after adding double knee joints and ankle tilts to its basic buck.

S7 is chugging along with 7 inch figures which are great for collectors who have been into MOTUC for 10 years but itís a bit expensive and hard to get into.

Which got me thinking: What if Mattel did the OPPOSITE of what it did when it reused MOTUC for Dark Knight Returns figures and did a Marvel Legends scale MOTU revival leveraging the new DC Multiverse bucks with some downscaled heads and accessories from MOTUC?

It could be a way to get core MOTU back on retail shelves and get the company a needed cash influx and I donít think it would disrupt S7 at this point, particularly if Mattel concentrated on the 6-6.5Ē scale and toy homages, not ultimate versions or Filmation or NA or Grayskull or 200x.

Think of the first two waves of vintage MOTU. Oo-lar head downscaled. Mismatched bracers like the toy and Classics 1.0. Rebirth Superman and Jessica Cruz base bucks. Maybe Collect and Connect Wun-Dar or something but in general focusing on a 2 year plan to get the original 12 out in waves of 4 with adjustments so that every wave gets a He-Man or Skeletor.

I think the ML scale and extra joints are a must for retail and I donít think it would step on S7ís toes. If youíre doing it, Iíd look at a box style in the vein of ML or DCUM or Transformers Siege but with a red rock background and all vintage logos and fonts. A nostalgia grab aimed at people who never got into MOTUC or who lapsed, $20 a pop, a bit smaller than MOTUC and in that ML style and scale. If it works, vehicle or beast rereleases in simplified decos and lower pricepointd around the holidays straight from MOTUC.Thoughts?

Court Magician
    For MOTU to succeed at mass retail, there needs to be some media support. Ie a new cartoon, game, or movie. Cheaper-to-produce lines like Mega Construx and Loyal Subjects have gotten their toe into retail stores, but I donít see the brand getting much more of a push unless thereís media to coincide with it.

I greatly prefer the proportions and sculpting on the traditional MOTUC bodies, but I won't act like I wouldn't buy these. That said, it would be a bit of a hard sell to many to buy the same designs in a slightly smaller scale. I would think they'd need to do more to differentiate it further from the MOTUC look, like taking more visual cues from the 2002 designs. It ain't gonna happen, but I'd be happy to buy them if it did!

Considering that we already have Pops!, Loyal Subjects, Mega Construx, Mondo, Sideshow, Reaction, Collector's Choice, Club Grayskull, and Vintage 5.5...I don't see the need for anything else right now...just my opinion.
    Last edited by depp76; January 11, 2019 at 11:26pm.

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    Considering that we already have Pops!, Loyal Subjects, Mega Construx, Mondo, Sideshow, Reaction, Collector's Choice, Club Grayskull, and Vintage 5.5...I don't see the need for anything else right now...just my opinion.
    I totally agree!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I think if the distribution was done properly, along with the price point, it could very well be a smashing success. Something akin to the Marvel Legends would probably be a really smart move on Mattel's part.
    If they were in that vein, Super 7's toes wouldn't get stepped on and a whole new fan base could open up. Kids and adults alike whom may not have been introduced to the line now have She-ra on Netflix, and that potentially opens up a new fan base. Die-hard collectors have their subscription service through Super 7, but the real money in toys is still the children's wants and impulse buys.
    Funko Pops and Loyal Subjects figures are great but:
    1) They're not really playable action figure type toys
    2) They're not really current and accessible (when was the last time new MOTU was released for either line?)
    I think a line off the DC Multiverse buck would be a good idea to attempt, IMHO.

This is a pretty interesting concept, because there are loads of casual fans out there who have no idea that there was a 200x cartoon and toy line, let alone that MOTU Classics even exists. There are definitely people out there who would buy your figures if they were on pegs.

Heck....I like your idea! A lot! Why?

-20 bucks beats 35
    -No pre-order
    -No need to order sight unseen
    -Ability to Cherry Pick
    -Additional articulation
    -The new 'smaller, sleeker' style would be appealing simply for being different
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 12, 2019 at 02:38pm.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Yes and no.

Yes because any MOTU visibility and the chance to grow the fanbase is a good idea. No, because I suspect that international fans will have a hard time getting the figures. A lot like the Loyal Subjects, Funko, Mega Construx and other US releases.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    Yes and no.

Yes because any MOTU visibility and the chance to grow the fanbase is a good idea. No, because I suspect that international fans will have a hard time getting the figures. A lot like the Loyal Subjects, Funko, Mega Construx and other US releases.
    How hard were DC Classics/Multiverse to get, at least prior to the blue box stuff?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Talon View Post
    For MOTU to succeed at mass retail, there needs to be some media support. Ie a new cartoon, game, or movie. Cheaper-to-produce lines like Mega Construx and Loyal Subjects have gotten their toe into retail stores, but I don’t see the brand getting much more of a push unless there’s media to coincide with it.
    It would be interesting to know if Mattel's license expiring from DC cuts both ways and MOTU comics are going elsewhere.

I think IDW would very aggressively push MOTU and would be up for whatever continuity/etc. Mattel WANTS while ALSO being willing and qualified to supply input.

I think an IDW MOTU would get more shelf presence and visibility than the DC books have gotten. My sense has always been that licensed books are something DC puts a certain amount of effort into but they aren't the company's top priority. At IDW, it would be a top priority.

If anything, there will probably less stuff out there then more. People forget that TRU closed. Mattel was in bad shape before that happened, just imagine how much worse that loss made them. There just aren't that many "unique" places to sell this stuff anymore.

Target, Walmart? Anyone can see that toys aren't exactly a priority in those stores. Heck, it also makes me think of Neca. They got hit hard as well. Then we heard that Target was picking them up to an extent. Well, I don't know about anyone else, but in my area their Neca section is GARBAGE and that's a good 5 Targets worth. A few items scattered here and there, but certainly not enough to seemingly make much of a difference.

Then you have the whole on-line avenue for this stuff. On-line is GREAT, but....how many viable entities can it really support. When everyone's selling in the same market space it gets redundant. Imagine going to a store to buy oranges and there's 50 orange vendors....It's just over-kill when they're all locked up in the same space and unnecessary. Well that's the on-line market.

At the end of the day there's just not enough places to actually support such a niche type of thing IMO as the avenues for mass retail are a dying breed.

Heroic Warrior
    I would totally buy such a line (next to Classics) at retail.... but...

i am a international fan. I would buy it at retail in my country. I don`t want to buy another line via ebay, it's to expensive. I don't buy the MegaConstrux Stuff because of that. If i would see them on shelf i would buy them aallll!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    It would ultimately depend on what any new line looks like, but I highly doubt I'd personally collect anything different from the Masters of the Universe Classics aesthetic at the 6 inch scale. I already have my preferred renditions for nearly every major character.

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    I would Happily support any Retail return for MOTU! I Ideally for me personally, it would be MOTUC-Style articulation and scale, in order to go seamlessly with what I have so much of, lol! I think it will unfortunately not happen until the movie does, but I am there when it does!
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

In theory I support it, but I won't buy it.

The only thing that matters is continuing the vast character depth that's been reached with CC. The opportunity will never come again.

I've been saying from the very beginning that 7" is too big. The loose ankles wouldn't have been nearly as big a deal if the figures were 6". I have DC Universe Classics figures with looser ankles that stand sturdier than MOTUC figures with tighter ankles. 7" is too tall and too heavy for those ankle joints.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I've been saying from the very beginning that 7" is too big. The loose ankles wouldn't have been nearly as big a deal if the figures were 6".
    I've often wondered if the torsos of larger action figures should be rotocast to make them lighter, but that's probably too much trouble.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    This is a pretty interesting concept, because there are loads of casual fans out there who have no idea that there was a 200x cartoon and toy line, let alone that MOTU Classics even exists. There are definitely people out there who would buy your figures if they were on pegs.

Heck....I like your idea! A lot! Why?

-20 bucks beats 35
    -No pre-order
    -No need to order sight unseen
    -Ability to Cherry Pick
    -Additional articulation
    -The new 'smaller, sleeker' style would be appealing simply for being different
    One word destroys this concept, 'resellers'

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    One word destroys this concept, 'resellers'
    Sadly, you make a good point. Since none of this is based on actual conjuncture, I suggest case assortments with NO short packs. It can't prevent reseller's antics, but it helps even the playing field:

Wave 1 - 6 He-Mans, 6 Skeletors
    Wave 2 - 6 Man-at-Arms, 6 Beast Mans
    Wave 3 - 6 Teelas, 6 MerMans

And so on...

Then, down the road, and if the line is selling well, they can 'refresh' so that the Big Guns stay available:

-He-Man vs. Skeletor 2-pack w/ slightly different paint apps ( packaged in streamlined, minimalist bubble cards retailing at 15 bucks )
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 17, 2019 at 03:49pm.
    Odd Man Out

I don't see it happening until the movie.

I struggle with supporting Mattel since they bail on lines so quickly and care more about cash grabs than delivering merchandise on par with Marvel Legends (mostly thinking their DC lines here). They left a really bad taste in my mouth after Thundercats.

IF they do a retail line, I am fully hoping it's compatible with Classics. What Hasbro did right is that no matter what Marvel movie came out they stayed consistent with style and scale so they all fit into one Universal collection. Mattel reinvents the wheel every time there's a movie and none of their stuff goes together. I HATE that. If they do a retail release, I'm not asking for a carbon copy but at least make it compatible.
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Heroic Warrior
    I would buy anything cool that comes out. That said, I don't think MOTU on the DC buck would be popular. I know a lot of casual fans as well as people who loved vintage MOTU that hated 200X because they thought it was too small and missing the beefy proportions synonymous with their vision of what MOTU is.

It's hard to think anything could top classics as far as being a modern update to the vintage line, and too many people already have classics for relaunching them to retail without failure.

Now if you did a whole new line with the same proportions in a different scale, then possibly. I also think vintage style figures would do well.

Today I saw about 20 different local posts on facebook for people spotting the Mega Construx Wind Raider at Wal-Mart. My company sold out of 100 each of the Super 7 Vintage Wave 1 figures in 3 days. So I think there is a lot more demand for MOTU than it gets credit for. It just has to hit the right nostalgia notes to appeal to enough people.

Not interested in this idea for the same reason that I’m not interested in Loyal Subjects, Mega Blocks or even Mondo’s lines - I don’t need any more MOTU. Classics is THE definitive MOTU line that will live on in my collection for years to come. And when it ends, that’s it. I’m done.
    HEY, SUPER 7! I'M PUTTING MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS! LET'S KICKSTART SNAKE MOUNTAIN!

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    I agree with that too
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

If they put action figures in shops in the UK then I'll buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Ham View Post
    Not interested in this idea for the same reason that I’m not interested in Loyal Subjects, Mega Blocks or even Mondo’s lines - I don’t need any more MOTU. Classics is THE definitive MOTU line that will live on in my collection for years to come. And when it ends, that’s it. I’m done.
    I think its cool more licensors are releasing products for MOTU and its a good sign things are changing and that maybe.......maybe....He-Man is getting back into the mainstream market competing with many other toy lines.
    But undoubtely Classics still is the most complete line in terms of character selection, vehicles and will keep exploring the entire 30+ of history, MONDO or some other companies instead will only tend to release the main known characters that appeals the most. I mean I do not see Mondo or Sideshow planning a 200x Evilseed or Icer 1:6 statues just to name a few but it would be cool.
    Plus Hot Toys should get the licence to the 87 movie and possibly the new one, think that? amazing possibilities!
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."

Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    ...Hot Toys should get the licence to the 87 movie and possibly the new one, think that? amazing possibilities!
    Okay. A Hot Toys 87 Skeletor would actually pique my interest.

For the record, I’d love to collect endless MOTU lines, but I only have so much room in my house (and I have a dedicated toy room!) Honestly, I don’t know how some of you folks do it. Where are you putting all of this stuff?????
    HEY, SUPER 7! I'M PUTTING MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS! LET'S KICKSTART SNAKE MOUNTAIN!