Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you support a new mass retail 6 inch line from Mattel alongside S7s Classics?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Ham View Post
    Okay. A Hot Toys 87 Skeletor would actually pique my interest.

For the record, I’d love to collect endless MOTU lines, but I only have so much room in my house (and I have a dedicated toy room!) Honestly, I don’t know how some of you folks do it. Where are you putting all of this stuff?????
    This is a concern Id have as well which is why Id kind of want a line like this to have a clear focus like original 12 or top 12 main Filmation characters with more or less an intended cutoff (excluding BAFs or exclusives) beyond which focus might be on new stuff or MYP stuff or Netflix POP in a realistic style as adults. MOTUC already has the business of people who want everything. This would be, in my head, more of a closed-ended pop up line for the less affluent masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    This is a concern I’d have as well which is why I’d kind of want a line like this to have a clear focus like “original 12” or “top 12 main Filmation characters” with more or less an intended cutoff (excluding BAFs or exclusives) beyond which focus might be on new stuff or MYP stuff or Netflix POP in a realistic style as adults. MOTUC already has the business of people who want everything. This would be, in my head, more of a closed-ended pop up line for the less affluent masses.
    That’s an interesting take on it. That could maybe be something that would work.
    HEY, SUPER 7! I'M PUTTING MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS! LET'S KICKSTART SNAKE MOUNTAIN!

COBRA, you have the coolest ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    ...I’d kind of want a line like this to have a clear focus like “original 12” or “top 12 main Filmation characters”.... This would be...more of a closed-ended pop up line for the less affluent masses.
    Brilliant. This makes a great concept even better.

Ya wanna know something weird? I only had 15 of the original vintage figures, and that was all I ever wanted. As the line went on, I found many of the later characters and their gimmicks to be flat out lame. ( That was just my own personal feelings....to each his own! ) I was totally content with what I had, and I never stopped loving them.

I would love a 'limited' line like this. With today's buyers having the shortest attention spans ever, it's probably a good idea to have an end in mind.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; January 22, 2019 at 05:52pm.
    Odd Man Out

A 6" version of Classics doesn't really scream out to me as something I need to buy...

I wish they would further the motu mega construx or make motu imaginext (Both of which could go far with vehicles and accessories for a smaller price tag) But when Ban-dai decreased thunder cats classics from 8" to 6" I, along with many, dropped it and never looked back. I wouldn't personally drop classics, but as long as classics was being sold, I wouldn't buy a slightly smaller version of what I already have. If classics stopped and mattel created a slightly smaller figure at retail for motu... I still probably wouldn't buy it. It'd have to be something truely unique, if it was just a slightly smaller, slightly cheaper reproduction of what I already have.... I'd pass it up...

Now, if it was a 6" highly articulated version of, say 200X, then you'd get me invested... but not if its just more classics only an inch smaller....
    It always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to edit this signature

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Itd have to bring something new to the table. I wouldnt support shrunk-in-the-dryer Classics, and I would have to be really wowed by the design if theyd do more swimmers build DCUC style figures. MOTU has to be all Schwartzeneggered out if ya know what I mean. If they use a Flash or Superman style body, its going to take a lot to get me on board.

I would "maybe" buy just the core to keep in package. But am happy with my classics.

However, I think an even larger potential would be had with a 3 3/4 articulated scale as it would be easier to produce, have an affordable price point, and open more possibilities for vehicles and playsets. Perhaps, we can get a original-size Grayskull using the original molds, that can be compatible for both original and new, 3 3/4 scale lines. Similar to how the Power of the Force used original vehicle molds for the new line. The package, I'd envision to be similar to original packaging with some homages to the 200x and even classics.

The figures themselves would could similar to the interchangeable Gylos system with more articulation using ball joints. So they have a retro sensibility, durability, and appeal to both kids and collectors, alike.

So if you have a basic $10.00 figure with one accessory, that would more than likely be more alluring to parents than a 20-25$ figure. It would leave more room in the Toy Aisle, and can be compatible with other lines like Star Wars.

A series of video shorts similar to Transformers Cyberverse can be developed at a minimal cost. They can be stand-alone episodes similar to the Minicomics and lead towards a 2 part story arc towards the end of each figure series.

You can have a vehicle +figure set at $25.00

The other thing you can have are Build a Figure parts, which could be compatible with the figure or be used to build one solid figure. For instance, you can build a roboto, but let's say one part comes with he-man .He-man can have a cybernetic roboto arm.

Think of the potential with army builders such as the "Horde", "Snakemen" . So I'm thinking classics at a smaller more playable scale.

Now, there are also elements like Chip Tech that can be applied to video game apps and or online database about the story. Or can be used to interact with the mini episode to help determine the outcome.

Each wave can have a motu hero, potp hero, horde member, skeletor henchman, snakeman, and misc ( 200x/New Adventure ) with every following wave having a He-man and Skeletor return in their original form along with a variant.

Also, simple, minimally painted accessory packs would be great as well.

Then we can also bring back mail-away figures as well.

We can also re-do the giants and can re-use the original classics bucks. So in this universe they would be " Giant" larger figures.

The key demographic would be for the nostalgia folk along with their kids.
    Last edited by Metalogan; Yesterday at 11:17pm. Reason: mistake