Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Omnibus book from DC this February, 2019

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Omnibus book from DC this February, 2019

I think it should have its own thread. That is huge!
    From DC Comics:

"The DC Comics adventures of He-Man, prince of Eternia, are collected in a single, massive Omnibus at last! DC COMICS PRESENTS #47, HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #1-6 (2012), HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #1-19 (2013), HE-MAN: THE ETERNITY WAR #1-15, DC UNIVERSE VS. MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #1-6, HE-MAN/ THUNDERCATS #1-6 and the MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE specials THE ORIGIN OF HE-MAN #1, THE ORIGIN OF SKELETOR #1 and THE ORIGIN OF HORDAK #1 and more!

From such legendary creators as James Robinson (Starman), Dan Abnett (Aquaman) and Keith Giffen (Justice League International), the further tales of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe are here! Collects He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #1-19, He-Man: The Eternity War #1-15, DC Universe vs. Masters of the Universe #1-6, DC Comics Presents #47 and He-Man/Thundercats #1-6."

Hardcover for $150.00 consisting of 1496 pages!
    Available in comic shops February 20th, 2019
    and on Amazon February 26th, 2019.
    Click here to pre-order yours on Amazon!

Freddie tweet

https://twitter.com/Freddieart/statu...46950282203136

motu__a_kiss_for_good_luck_by_nebezial_d31szt5-fullview.jpg

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    I don't get it. What exactly is an "omnibus" release? The quoted text seems to say it is a collection of the modern ("Nu52") DC releases. But then that tweet talks about "awesome stories from the last 20 years"?

OTOH, the $150 price tag seems a bit too steep for a 1,500 page book, doesn't it? They're charging 10 cents per 78-sqin page (for comparison, the Dark Horse 1,200-page minicomics sold for $30 at 2.5 cents per 54-sqin page). Especially for a re-release of "old" stuff that (supposedly) has already paid back its original production costs.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    I don't get it. What exactly is an "omnibus" release? The quoted text seems to say it is a collection of the modern ("Nu52") DC releases. But then that tweet talks about "awesome stories from the last 20 years"?

OTOH, the $150 price tag seems a bit too steep for a 1,500 page book, doesn't it? They're charging 10 cents per 78-sqin page (for comparison, the Dark Horse 1,200-page minicomics sold for $30 at 2.5 cents per 54-sqin page). Especially for a re-release of "old" stuff that (supposedly) has already paid back its original production costs.
    Omnibus is just all the collected issues for that series or story. In this case, it's all the MOTU that were released from 2012 to 2017 including crossovers and one shots.

The price does seem way too much, given a Batman omnibus for a popular story arc goes for less but I guess that's DC for ya. I'd expect the price to drop to $60 not long after release.

Granted the price is a bit high (I hope it goes down) but the book looks beautiful , I love DC motu, especially the She-Ra arc and Enternity war, and I would love to have all of that put together. Also the book includes a lot of art work and Sketches... and the DC present #47, I never had a physical copy.

Wish it can be made available in my country.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

The omnibus collections are very nicely-made hefty oversized hardcover collections with a hefty price tag to match. I love the format, but the price and sheer size and weight keeps me from getting many of them. They're so massive and heavy that it's tough to read one comfortably. I think it's awesome that there's one on the way devoted to MOTU comics, though! I do have a few gripes with it, however.

1. That is some ugly-ass cover art.
    2. It doesn't include everything. Putting aside the Marvel/Star comics, which I really wouldn't expect, "From Eternia with Death," the 16-page story that was printed as a bonus story in a bunch of DC's comics in 1982, is not included. The three-issue miniseries that followed it is missing, as well. I could understand their omission if this was exclusively a collection of the recent comics, but as DCCP #47 is included, it's baffling that they'd exclude the other MOTU comics that were its contemporaries.
    3. This only applies to me, and isn't a criticism of the collection itself, but I already have all but two of the TPB collections. Those two are now out of print, and go for ridiculous prices on the secondary market. I'd prefer new printings of those to this omnibus that I can't really afford. Again, though, that's an issue for me personally, not an objective flaw with this collection.

So yeah, this is a hard pass for me. For those who do want it, though, I recommend instocktrades.com. IT'll be discounted at least 42%-- more if it's their deal of the week the week it releases-- orders over $50 ship for free, and they pack their shipments better than anyone I've ever bought anything from. I order practically all of my trades from them. The only negative is that they sometimes take up to five days to get an order shipped, and they've been using UPS Smartpost to ship packages lately, so it takes about twice as long for them arrive for me than they did when they shipped via USPS media mail.
    (I swear I'm not paid to endorse them, I'm just a very satisfied customer! They're the best, especially for huge, expensive books like this!)

The price is a no-brainer... To not buy. :'(
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    2. It doesn't include everything. Putting aside the Marvel/Star comics, which I really wouldn't expect, "From Eternia with Death," the 16-page story that was printed as a bonus story in a bunch of DC's comics in 1982, is not included. The three-issue miniseries that followed it is missing, as well. I could understand their omission if this was exclusively a collection of the recent comics, but as DCCP #47 is included, it's baffling that they'd exclude the other MOTU comics that were its contemporaries.
    It does include all the 80s DC comics. Look carefully at the backcover from the pics linked by heavy-eternium: "... DC comics presents #47, Special Masters of the Universe Preview and Masters of the Universe (1982) #1-3..."

By the way, "From Eternia with Death" is actually the title of DCCP #47 while the story from the Special Preview was titled "Fate is the Killer".

Sadly, it won't include the Injustice crossover miniseries.
    Last edited by DarkOrko; January 27, 2019 at 10:01am.

I had been hoping Dark Horse would do a collection of the older comics, like their mini-comics collection. Not just the old DC stuff, but also the complete Star Comics series (including the movie adaptation) and all the comics for 200X. But, it's been a few years since DH put out any MOTU books like that.

I started the initial mini-series and thought it was sub-par, so didn't bother with the rest of the series. Someone on another forum told me that it picks up after that, but I've not heard much else. I want to buy it, but if it's all the same calibre as the initial mini-series I'll have to skip it. Any advice would be appreciated

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    I started the initial mini-series and thought it was sub-par, so didn't bother with the rest of the series. Someone on another forum told me that it picks up after that, but I've not heard much else. I want to buy it, but if it's all the same calibre as the initial mini-series I'll have to skip it. Any advice would be appreciated
    IMHO it gets gradually better from the initial miniseries to the Eternity War arc that closes that continuity. I found it interesting and even surprisingly complex. Maybe it won't be good enough for you anyway if you really despised the first miniseries (I didn't like it much either).

The first mini series is terrible ,bad writing,it feels non-MOTU and the art is so irregular ,there are three different versions of castle Grayskull .Then the series gets better and better , the Despara arc is good,the She-Ra arc is awesome and the eternity war is the most epic thing I ever seen in a motu media.
    IMHO the MOTU comics from DC are revolutionary for the MOTU parameters

I really want this book so bad but the price is criminal ,why so high? how much was the original price of the minicomic collection ? I think it was not even half

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I really want this book so bad but the price is criminal ,why so high? how much was the original price of the minicomic collection ? I think it was not even half
    Just going by page-count math,
    the hardcover (which is a plus) is 1496.
    At $ 150.00 for the omnibus, that's 10 cents a page.

The modern comic book is 32 pages (which includes ads).
    It started out in 2012 at $2.99, which is 9 cents a page.

By the time we got to 2016 with the ThunderCats crossover, it was 3.99 for a 32 page comic (again, that includes the ads).
    That's 12 cents a page.

Considering you are getting the story and no ads, and it's a hardcover, it looks like you are getting your money's worth.
    Plus, 150.00 is the retail price. I would not be surprised if the actual price on Amazon drops to 120.00 or lower.
    Hardly criminal when compared to the cost of floppies.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    I started the initial mini-series and thought it was sub-par, so didn't bother with the rest of the series.
    You actually can easily skip the Volume1 Trade story.
    It's a real shame some fans dropped reading the series after that. Because it does get better and heck. It lasted over 4 years. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Going with Vol2 onward, and including JLU vs MOTU story it fills in the events needed. But does it in much better way.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Multor View Post
    I had been hoping Dark Horse would do a collection of the older comics, like their mini-comics collection. Not just the old DC stuff, but also the complete Star Comics series (including the movie adaptation) and all the comics for 200X. But, it's been a few years since DH put out any MOTU books like that.
    I couldn't agree more. I bought all the MOTU Dark Horse hardcovers so far. The mini-comic collection and the newspaper strips were super fun to read! I totally want the Marvel Star comics in a hardcover like those!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Just going by page-count math,
    the hardcover (which is a plus) is 1496.
    At $ 150.00 for the omnibus, that's 10 cents a page.

The modern comic book is 32 pages (which includes ads).
    It started out in 2012 at $2.99, which is 9 cents a page.

By the time we got to 2016 with the ThunderCats crossover, it was 3.99 for a 32 page comic (again, that includes the ads).
    That's 12 cents a page.

Considering you are getting the story and no ads, and it's a hardcover, it looks like you are getting your money's worth.
    Plus, 150.00 is the retail price. I would not be surprised if the actual price on Amazon drops to 120.00 or lower.
    Yeah, considering how much content is included and it's a hardcover, this is a pretty reasonable price. When Amazon first put it up for pre-order, it was cheaper. I think I preordered it for $121.00 or something. The price will go back down, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I get it ,definitely its price is worth it ...but it's a lot of money

Perhaps two volumes wouldn't have been a bad idea

Heroic Warrior
    It's great that it includes all of the 80s DC MOTU comics!

I know I definitely have to get this book! Even if I have to save up for it, I also have all the other hardcover MOTU books.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Yeah, considering how much content is included and it's a hardcover, this is a pretty reasonable price. When Amazon first put it up for pre-order, it was cheaper. I think I preordered it for $121.00 or something. The price will go back down, I'm sure.
    Thanks for that info. I wonder why they would suddenly bump it back up?
    Maybe they jumped the gun when they weren't supposed to on offering that 121.00?
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

This is IT!!!! A must Have. I skipped on many single issues so this is my chance to have it all in one. Looking forward to the release date.

Once it's released, instocktrades.com will have it much cheaper. I get all my HC comics from them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Could we say this book include all the MOTU comics printed by DC through the years? (except Injustice vs MOTU crossover )

Could we say this book include all the MOTU comics printed by DC through the years? (except Injustice vs MOTU crossover )
    It sure looks that way.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Widget
    Well, strictly speaking, there are other DC comics missing besides the Injustice crossover if you take minicomics into consideration:
    - The first and second series of the vintage minicomics were produced by DC (I think there were 11 DC vintage minicomics: 4 + 7)
    - The last 5 MOTUC minicomics were also produced by DC (the first 3 were produced by Dark Horse). Sadly they weren't included in the Minicomics Collection either (only the Dark Horse ones were included).