Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Omnibus book from DC this February, 2019

What always bothers me with these big collections is that the art disappears into the inside fold and makes for frustrating reading.

1496 pages is impressive. However, I wonder how many of those pages are printed interviews, alternative cover pages, etc., i.e. "bonus" pages.
    For me, I compare it to a movie with the "bonus" content.
    I never watch that stuff.
    It's just "fluff".
    I'd rather reduce the "fluff"/price/page count.
    I'll get it for $100, no more.
    The reality of reading it more than once is slim to none.
    I have both volumes of The Walking Dead and they were $65 each, the first one I got for $40 on Amazon via cyber monday sale.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    1496 pages is impressive. However, I wonder how many of those pages are printed interviews, alternative cover pages, etc., i.e. "bonus" pages.
    For me, I compare it to a movie with the "bonus" content.
    I never watch that stuff.
    It's just "fluff".
    I'd rather reduce the "fluff"/price/page count.
    I'll get it for $100, no more.
    The reality of reading it more than once is slim to none.
    I have both volumes of The Walking Dead and they were $65 each, the first one I got for $40 on Amazon via cyber monday sale.
    You have to put this in perspective. The Walking Dead Omnibus has 560 pages for 65$ up to 78$ (not even acknowledging the fact that they got a 100$ cover price) and the Motu Omnibus has 1500 for 150$ (currently 135$ on Amazon) which is almost the same amount. And you also have to consider that TWD is only black and white and not color. I think this price is more than justified.
    Furthermore, I don't think there will be a lot of "fluff". If you add up the pages of the TPBs you almost get your 1450 pages. The only deplorable thing is that they couldn't wait for another 2 or 3 months to actually also include the Injustice vs Motu series.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOrko View Post
    Well, strictly speaking, there are other DC comics missing besides the Injustice crossover if you take minicomics into consideration:
    - The first and second series of the vintage minicomics were produced by DC (I think there were 11 DC vintage minicomics: 4 + 7)
    - The last 5 MOTUC minicomics were also produced by DC (the first 3 were produced by Dark Horse). Sadly they weren't included in the Minicomics Collection either (only the Dark Horse ones were included).
    Thanks for the info ,I had forgotten the mini comics , luckily we already got it.

So only four regular comics DC released in the 80's about MOTU
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; February 1, 2019 at 10:11pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Given the sheer size of the book, collecting some things never collected before, I think this omnibus was in the works long before Injustice vs. MOTU was announced and that is at least part of the reason it wasn't included.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    ... if you take minicomics into consideration:
    - The first and second series of the vintage minicomics were produced by DC (I think there were 11 DC vintage minicomics: 4 + 7)
    No.

First wave (4 booklet) minicomics are from Mattel. Given to Don Glut who had apparently strict letter-count in the stories, and art by Alfredo Alcala.

Then Mattel had it licensed to DC so they did wave 2 and expanded the mythos. Texeira on art; 7 issues only. No longer the barbarian He-Man who lived in a hut he made with bare hands.

After that its back to Mattel again and you get Larry Houston, Lee Nordling and others in their little group handling it.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    No.

First wave (4 booklet) minicomics are from Mattel. Given to Don Glut who had apparently strict letter-count in the stories, and art by Alfredo Alcala.

Then Mattel had it licensed to DC so they did wave 2 and expanded the mythos. Texeira on art; 7 issues only. No longer the barbarian He-Man who lived in a hut he made with bare hands.

After that its back to Mattel again and you get Larry Houston, Lee Nordling and others in their little group handling it.
    Mmm... I assume you're right. Nevertheless I knew I had read somewhere that the first 11 minicomics where produced by DC:

The text is almost the same. Isn't it weird?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    The text is almost the same. Isn't it weird?
    Indeed. One is from a very, very old version of org. Back then we didn't even know for example who illustrated cardbacks. So there were many holes in our collective MOTU knowledge.

And the other, seems to have copied that text.

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Widget
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like the recent issues have been collected in chronological order, as is frequently the case in such omnibuses, or it would've been advertised as an essential selling point, especially if the collection is later released digitally. Let's hope this is just a promotional oversight.

I am a HUGE, HUGE fan of these kinds of collections, so part of me is very tempted to get it. But I have a problem justifying the expenditure when I already own all of the contents as either loose issues or graphic novels. Conversely, for display purposes in my MOTU library, I prefer a nice-looking tome like this over a handful of GNs and a bunch of floppies.

Maybe if it goes on deep discount I'll bite.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Widget
    I already own the 201x stories as individual issues on comiXology, which is why I'd be tempted to buy a digital version if they are reordered chronologically, for ease of rereading. However, I just can't see why I'd be interested in a hefty paper tome as opposed to something I can read in comfort on the large iPad Pro or whatever improved screens are released in the future.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Computor View Post
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like the recent issues have been collected in chronological order
    I think the titles are just in alphabetical order for the main 2012-2016 run on the back-cover blurb.
    -Then crossover specials like "DC Universe vs MOTU" and "Thundercats.."
    and then vintage materials.

Agreed its an odd order to write them down. But pretty sure the material inside is in chronological release order for the 2012-2016 volumes.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    But pretty sure the material inside is in chronological release order for the 2012-2016 volumes.
    Actually I meant the (approximate) chronological order of events, not release, like the one determined here. That way the various connections become much clearer, and besides it’s something new and different from the original reading experience. That is the principle used in IDW’s large TMNT and Transformers collections, for example.

It does include all the 80s DC comics. Look carefully at the backcover from the pics linked by heavy-eternium: "... DC comics presents #47, Special Masters of the Universe Preview and Masters of the Universe (1982) #1-3..."
    That's good. Not having seen a copy of the actual book, all I had to go on was the solicitation text. That often changes by the time a book is actually published, but DC also has a habit of baffling exclusions with some of their collections, so it was really up for grabs until it actually was printed. Glad to know those are included!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm so thrilled that DC is finally releasing all of their full-size MOTU comics in one collection! Ok, Injustice vs. MOTU is not included, but that is ok. I wonder if there is any chance the Star MOTU comics can be collected? I am guessing that would be up to Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I am a HUGE, HUGE fan of these kinds of collections, so part of me is very tempted to get it. But I have a problem justifying the expenditure when I already own all of the contents as either loose issues or graphic novels. Conversely, for display purposes in my MOTU library, I prefer a nice-looking tome like this over a handful of GNs and a bunch of floppies.

Maybe if it goes on deep discount I'll bite.
    Keep an eye on Barnes & Noble.com... they usually have some incredible discounts on new collections and/or buy one-get-one sales.

I just picked up the new Marvel Conan Omnibus from them for $65 (normally $125...)
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Keep an eye on Barnes & Noble.com... they usually have some incredible discounts on new collections and/or buy one-get-one sales.

I just picked up the new Marvel Conan Omnibus from them for $65 (normally $125...)
    Thanks! Good tip!
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Just a heads up for anyone interested in buying this: It's a deal of the week at Instocktrades, making it $75 with free shipping. You likely won't ever see a better deal on it than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone interested in buying this: It's a deal of the week at Instocktrades, making it $75 with free shipping. You likely won't ever see a better deal on it than this.
    Wow! Never heard of this site, and assuming shipping isn't bad, I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

** update ** just put my order in! Free shipping. No tax! Plus, I used PayPal credit. Came out cheap!!! I did some research, and lots of people vouched for them (even redditers.) Thanks again for the recommendation.
    Last edited by ehenyo; February 20, 2019 at 10:58am.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the heads-up! I cancelled my pre-order with Amazon and ordered on with Instocktrades! That is a bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Wow! Never heard of this site, and assuming shipping isn't bad, I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

** update ** just put my order in! Free shipping. No tax! Plus, I used PayPal credit. Came out cheap!!! I did some research, and lots of people vouched for them (even redditers.) Thanks again for the recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up! I cancelled my pre-order with Amazon and ordered on with Instocktrades! That is a bargain!
    No problem, glad to help! I order most of my trades from them. They're usually cheaper than Amazon, and they pack their books much better. My only complaints with them are that it often takes them several days to ship an order out, and then they usually use UPS Smartpost, which takes awhile to arrive. That's easy to deal with in light of the positives, though!

It's currently marked down to $91.21 on Amazon right now. When I preordered, there were promotions and coupons that gave me $5 and 10% off. So, my total is $77.09 at the moment. That price on InStockTrades is awesome too!

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    It's currently marked down to $91.21 on Amazon right now. When I preordered, there were promotions and coupons that gave me $5 and 10% off. So, my total is $77.09 at the moment. That price on InStockTrades is awesome too!
    Good. It looks like enough people were spooked by the price that they had to get it adjusted.

This is amazing!!

Thanks for the heads-up, DF!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This is amazing!!

Thanks for the heads-up, DF!!
    Happy to help!