Thread: A couple of questions about swords ...

Widget

A couple of questions about swords ...

Hello!

I'd like to ask a couple of questions to the lore masters of the forum:

1. Depending of what canon you follow when He-Ro dies he gives the Sword of Power to King Grayskull and when King Grayskull dies he imbues his power to the sword...I guess this is a two part question. Who's power is the Sword imbued with, He-Ro or King Grayskull and, when it comes to the action figures why is He-Ro's sword blue and King Grayskull's sword is half blue, half gray?

2. Why is King He-Man using the 200x cartoon sword?

THANK YOU !!!

Those are 2 different stories, in the 200x cartoon, He-Ro doesn't exist.King Grayskull was the first.

In the classics story, the sword has the power called the "Sword of He", and I believe the Trollians (Orko's People) gave He-Ro the sword.

- - - Updated - - -

Something happened to the original power sword, so Man-at-arms made the 200x version of the sword, the sorceress infused with power it so it could be used to channel the power of Grayskull.

So that is why King He-man's sword is the Techo Sword from the 200x cartoon (Really fans kept asking for it, so they worked it into the new classics storyline)

One of the Virginias, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Quote Originally Posted by agriakorn View Post
    Hello!

I'd like to ask a couple of questions to the lore masters of the forum:

1. Depending of what canon you follow when He-Ro dies he gives the Sword of Power to King Grayskull and when King Grayskull dies he imbues his power to the sword...I guess this is a two part question. Who's power is the Sword imbued with, He-Ro or King Grayskull and, when it comes to the action figures why is He-Ro's sword blue and King Grayskull's sword is half blue, half gray?

2. Why is King He-Man using the 200x cartoon sword?

THANK YOU !!!
    The Sword of He(Power) is imbued with the power of the universe. He-Ro added his power to it when he died, followed by King Greyskull when he died.

He-Ro's version of the sword looks blue because that is how it looked when he got it. It changes appearance with each user or protector. The Sword with KG 2.0 is it transitioning from He-Ro to KG, also it double as the power of the sword being drawn from it and being forged into the Orb of Power. To elaborate on the sword color change here are some of the color changes we know of:

He-Ro: Clear Blue with stars
    King Greyskull: Classic Grey and Silver
    Vikor: The 1st Guardian, the sword was a light blue hilt with silver blade
    Wun-Dar: Black Hilt with silver blade
    Oo-Larr: seems to be all silver or grey
    Adam: maroon because it is in disguise, I always thought that it was really supposed to be rust colored so it looks like an "old" sword
    He-Man: when Adam transforms it is back to classic grey and silver because he is KG's direct and worthy heir
    Skeletor/Keldor: for the brief time he had half it was purple
    NA He-Man: Gold tech hilt with green crystal blade is because of adding the power of Starship Eternia to the Power of Greyskull
    Thunder Punch He-Man: the sword turns gold because of the power of THUNDER
    Laser Power He-Man: the sword looks like this original because of the power of LASERS, but now it is because of the Temple of Power on Trolla
    He-Ro II: the swords shape changes slightly but is in the classic colors again because Darius is Adam's son and the next true heir to KG

As for your 2nd question, King He-Man is using the 200X tech sword because the Power Sword has been passed onto Darius/He-Ro II. Adam can still use the Power Sword but his son has now taken over the role of both the sword and the universe's protector. Plus it is an easy way to fit it into the line. Also when King He-Man had returned to Eternia the Power Sword returned to it's original look of classic grey and silver prior to He-Ro II getting it. And again when Darius took the sword it stayed the same color but it changed shape a little looking like the Al Alcala style Power Sword from the early mini-comics.

Prior to the Man-At-Arms arms had made it, with the Sorceress temporarily connecting it to the Orb of Power. This allowed Adam to change into a weaker form of He-Man until he found both halves of the real Power Sword. The Sorceress did give him the grey half to start with but he had to rescue the purple half from Skeletor. When he got both halves they turned maroon until his 1st TRUE transformation in He-Man, were it became the classic silver and grey KG colors. Again because Adam is the 1st true and direct heir to KG. I think it was also said somewhere that Cringer didn't even become Battle Cat until Adam united the sword. Not sure where I heard that though.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties. I get comic books, novels, & ViewMaster Reels as well. If you want to discuss this stuff & other things, then PM me here on the .org. I enjoy anime, video games, & sci-fi, too. DC or Marvel, it's all good.

That's interesting and enlightening.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

A couple of questions about swords ...

The story of the sword is convoluted and confusing. IMO all of the “official” stories diminish its specialness.

The best usage of the sword IMO is in the MOTU/Thundercats and the MOTU/Injustice comics. It’s the key to unlock the orb of power. The less said about who made it the better.

Can we play “share your head cannon?” In the Hadleyverse, He made it. In the beginning, He planted the Star Seed in Eternia to create the cosmos. When He laid to rest, his essence became the Orb and Sword was created as the key to unlock it. Castle Grayskull grew from the ground/his body to protect it all (nobody built the dang thing). Those who knew of He and guarded the castle called themselves He-Men. They followed the teachings of He Who Was and awaited the coming of He Who Will Be.
    Last edited by hadley; March 13, 2019 at 01:22pm.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    I think griffen's answer sums it up pretty well.

If I may add something, I think the sword of He in the hands of He-Ro was blue with starts because he was a Cosmic Warrior (not to be confused with the Cosmic Enforcers). So it makes sense this sword had also that cosmic look. About the power of the sword, I think the sword had already some magic in it, becuse it was given to He-Ro by the Overlords of Trolla to combat evil. And then, the power of King Grayskull was added to the sword when he died. To my understanding, the original power of the sword was captured by the Orb, and the sword is a mean to invoke it, so to speak.

About the other techno-sword, according to classics canon, it's an invention of Man-at-arms, and was used by Adam when he was still in the quest to reunite both halves of the Sword of He. When Adam passed the power sword to his son Dare (AKA He-Ro II), I suppose taking again his old electronic sword that served him well in his youth made a lot of sense.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Widget
    Thank you, guys !!!
    What reading material would you guys recommend? Also, I thought none of the "He-Men" wielded the actual "Sword of He" they just protected it. So it went first to He-Ro, then King Grayskull, prince Adam and finally Dare, the only ones able to tap into the sword's power.

One of the Virginias, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    Quote Originally Posted by agriakorn View Post
    Thank you, guys !!!
    What reading material would you guys recommend? Also, I thought none of the "He-Men" wielded the actual "Sword of He" they just protected it. So it went first to He-Ro, then King Grayskull, prince Adam and finally Dare, the only ones able to tap into the sword's power.
    Some of the guardians did carry and use it, but they only had half. Easier to guard something when it is right in your hand. We know for sure that Vikor, Wundar, and Oo-Larr each carried the "good" half during their time in "office".

As for recommend reading material:

Kid Stuff books with tapes or records
    Golden Book Super Adventure, Heroic Champion, and Hardcover Books
    All of the Minicomics for MOTU, POP, & NA
    All of the Bios, Maps, and Minicomics for MOTUC
    Finally every episode from MOTU and POP produced by Filmation, The NA cartoon, the live action movie, and the 200X cartoon
    Any of the USA and UK magazines
    Any and all of the collection books produced by Dark Horse
    The entire run of DC MOTU modern run of comics that fall under the "Eternity War" banner and those that were right before it but were also the same series just using the MOTU title
    The 5 part vintage run by DC comics which came as the 3 part "To Tempt the Gods" storyline and the 2 part crossover with Superman

Most of the books can be found in either the .org archives or by doing a search via YouTube. Also all of the cartoons are on YouTube for free and the '87 movie became "free to view with ads" on YouTube recently. Keep in mind a LOT of this stuff will of conflicting facts but that is because they have different writers, are different media, or have even have different countries of origin.

The last recommendation would be the German audio play cassettes if you can understand that language. Again there are copies of these on YouTube for free.

I collect MOTU/POP, Transformers, Garfield the Cat, & 80's/90's Book & Tape/Record Sets. I collect VHS & DVD of 80's-00's properties. I get comic books, novels, & ViewMaster Reels as well. If you want to discuss this stuff & other things, then PM me here on the .org. I enjoy anime, video games, & sci-fi, too. DC or Marvel, it's all good.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by griffen112182 View Post
    Some of the guardians did carry and use it, but they only had half. Easier to guard something when it is right in your hand. We know for sure that Vikor, Wundar, and Oo-Larr each carried the "good" half during their time in "office".

As for recommend reading material:

Kid Stuff books with tapes or records
    Golden Book Super Adventure, Heroic Champion, and Hardcover Books
    All of the Minicomics for MOTU, POP, & NA
    All of the Bios, Maps, and Minicomics for MOTUC
    Finally every episode from MOTU and POP produced by Filmation, The NA cartoon, the live action movie, and the 200X cartoon
    Any of the USA and UK magazines
    Any and all of the collection books produced by Dark Horse
    The entire run of DC MOTU modern run of comics that fall under the "Eternity War" banner and those that were right before it but were also the same series just using the MOTU title
    The 5 part vintage run by DC comics which came as the 3 part "To Tempt the Gods" storyline and the 2 part crossover with Superman

Most of the books can be found in either the .org archives or by doing a search via YouTube. Also all of the cartoons are on YouTube for free and the '87 movie became "free to view with ads" on YouTube recently. Keep in mind a LOT of this stuff will of conflicting facts but that is because they have different writers, are different media, or have even have different countries of origin.

The last recommendation would be the German audio play cassettes if you can understand that language. Again there are copies of these on YouTube for free.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    I think griffen's answer sums it up pretty well.

If I may add something, I think the sword of He in the hands of He-Ro was blue with starts because he was a Cosmic Warrior (not to be confused with the Cosmic Enforcers). So it makes sense this sword had also that cosmic look. About the power of the sword, I think the sword had already some magic in it, becuse it was given to He-Ro by the Overlords of Trolla to combat evil. And then, the power of King Grayskull was added to the sword when he died. To my understanding, the original power of the sword was captured by the Orb, and the sword is a mean to invoke it, so to speak.

About the other techno-sword, according to classics canon, it's an invention of Man-at-arms, and was used by Adam when he was still in the quest to reunite both halves of the Sword of He. When Adam passed the power sword to his son Dare (AKA He-Ro II), I suppose taking again his old electronic sword that served him well in his youth made a lot of sense.
    It did already have power in it, the energy that created the universe also known as the "Aura of the Gods". Some of that energy also made the Star Seed on Eternia and the Star Tree on Trolla.

As for the Orb of Power that is the "Aura of the Gods" that was in the sword but somewhat separated from it. But that energy had a lot added to it over time. The orb was pulled from the Power Sword after King Greyskull's death. The magic and energy we know that was added to it over time were:

The Aura of the Gods was the start
    Magic from the Overlords of Trolla
    He-Ro's magic and essence
    Possibly some of the energy from the Horde Techno Virus(maybe but not likely)
    King Greyskull's magic, might, and essence
    Queen Veena(KG's wife) magic and energies
    The magic and wisdom from the Council of Wisdom
    The magic and wisdom of El-Dor
    Possible the essence, knowledge, and power from He-Ra the Granddaughter of He-Ro and KG who served as a guardian(maybe from the MOTUC Bios)
    Energy from the Star Seed
    Energy from the Ram Stone(maybe)
    Energy from Count Marzo's Ruby(maybe)
    The energy from the Cordidite Crystal(200X)
    Energy from Point Dread and the Talon Fighter
    Energy from the Three Towers of Eternia
    Energy from the Crystal Castle of Etheria
    Energy from the Crystal Fall
    Power from the Starship Eternia
    Power from the Temple of Power/Star Tree
    The magic contained within the Sword of the Ancients(Filmation)
    Whatever Mysterious magic that was hiding on Earth
    Possibly some of the energy from the Cosmic Key(maybe)
    The essence, knowledge, and energy of Vikor
    The essence, knowledge, and energy from Wun-Dar
    The essence, knowledge, and energy from Oo-Larr
    The essence, knowledge, and energy from Prince Adam/He-Man/King He-Man
    The essence, knowledge, and energy from Prince Darius/He-Ro II

and that is what we know of or at least can speculate on. There is still a LOT of other magic and even tech energies that we don't know about because the store's power started at the Big Bang and got a bunch more added between the 5000 year period between KG/He-Ro and Prince Adam. We have 5 worlds that added to the Power Sword and the Orb of Power. Those worlds we know for certain are:

Trolla
    Eternia
    Etheria
    Earth
    Primus

That is about all I have for now, but that is still a lot of power stuffed into this Sword.

The Sword of He(Power) is imbued with the power of the universe. He-Ro added his power to it when he died, followed by King Greyskull when he died.

He-Ro's version of the sword looks blue because that is how it looked when he got it. It changes appearance with each user or protector. The Sword with KG 2.0 is it transitioning from He-Ro to KG, also it double as the power of the sword being drawn from it and being forged into the Orb of Power. To elaborate on the sword color change here are some of the color changes we know of:

He-Ro: Clear Blue with stars
    King Greyskull: Classic Grey and Silver
    Vikor: The 1st Guardian, the sword was a light blue hilt with silver blade
    Wun-Dar: Black Hilt with silver blade
    Oo-Larr: seems to be all silver or grey
    Adam: maroon because it is in disguise, I always thought that it was really supposed to be rust colored so it looks like an "old" sword
    He-Man: when Adam transforms it is back to classic grey and silver because he is KG's direct and worthy heir
    Skeletor/Keldor: for the brief time he had half it was purple
    NA He-Man: Gold tech hilt with green crystal blade is because of adding the power of Starship Eternia to the Power of Greyskull
    Thunder Punch He-Man: the sword turns gold because of the power of THUNDER
    Laser Power He-Man: the sword looks like this original because of the power of LASERS, but now it is because of the Temple of Power on Trolla
    He-Ro II: the swords shape changes slightly but is in the classic colors again because Darius is Adam's son and the next true heir to KG

As for your 2nd question, King He-Man is using the 200X tech sword because the Power Sword has been passed onto Darius/He-Ro II. Adam can still use the Power Sword but his son has now taken over the role of both the sword and the universe's protector. Plus it is an easy way to fit it into the line. Also when King He-Man had returned to Eternia the Power Sword returned to it's original look of classic grey and silver prior to He-Ro II getting it. And again when Darius took the sword it stayed the same color but it changed shape a little looking like the Al Alcala style Power Sword from the early mini-comics.

Prior to the Man-At-Arms arms had made it, with the Sorceress temporarily connecting it to the Orb of Power. This allowed Adam to change into a weaker form of He-Man until he found both halves of the real Power Sword. The Sorceress did give him the grey half to start with but he had to rescue the purple half from Skeletor. When he got both halves they turned maroon until his 1st TRUE transformation in He-Man, were it became the classic silver and grey KG colors. Again because Adam is the 1st true and direct heir to KG. I think it was also said somewhere that Cringer didn't even become Battle Cat until Adam united the sword. Not sure where I heard that though.
    I know that oolar in the mini comic had the gray silver but I thought the green set that came with the end of wars weapons pak was meant for oolar , otherwise who would it go to?

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    I know that oolar in the mini comic had the gray silver but I thought the green set that came with the end of wars weapons pak was meant for oolar , otherwise who would it go to?
    That set is meant for Adam's version of He-Man. They are supposed to be his weapons transformed by the Horde Slime Pit. So basically they go with the upcoming Power-Con Slime Pit for the 2019 con. They were originally meant as a tease/preview of things to come.

Addendum: I just remembered those green weapons are also supposed to function as the transitional form between "Original" He-Man's Power Sword and when it became NA He-Man's Power Sword. The sword goes green then crystalizes, with hilt turning gold and finally getting it's more sci-fi style design. This transformation is because Adam used the Power Sword to tie the mysterious power within Starship Eternia's reactor core with the power inside Castle Greyskull. This power may have also been connected to the energies in the Crystal Castle also since the new canon has She-Ra joining the journey.

Oo-Larr's weapons were the silver and grey like Adam's He-Man because he was the last guardian before we got to the prince. He was the one that created the last bit of mythos and mystery that "He-Man" is an eternal protector of the sword and a threat to evil. He gave Adam cover by acting as He-Man until Adam came of age. And since Adam's transformation in He-Man makes him look older, depending on which canon you follow, helped make it appear that they were 2 separate people. It was a flimsy trick but it worked to hide Adam's secret for quite awhile. Plus this is a planet with magical beings running around, so a near immortal barbarian warrior is not to out of place.
    Last edited by griffen112182; March 29, 2019 at 11:05am.

As for your 2nd question, King He-Man is using the 200X tech sword because the Power Sword has been passed onto Darius/He-Ro II. Adam can still use the Power Sword but his son has now taken over the role of both the sword and the universe's protector.
    Just to clarify, He-Man's son's name is Prince Dare, not Darius. Darius is the leader of the Galactic Protectors in the Tri-Solar System.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

That set is meant for Adam's version of He-Man. They are supposed to be his weapons transformed by the Horde Slime Pit. So basically they go with the upcoming Power-Con Slime Pit for the 2019 con. They were originally meant as a tease/preview of things to come.

Addendum: I just remembered those green weapons are also supposed to function as the transitional form between "Original" He-Man's Power Sword and when it became NA He-Man's Power Sword. The sword goes green then crystalizes, with hilt turning gold and finally getting it's more sci-fi style design. This transformation is because Adam used the Power Sword to tie the mysterious power within Starship Eternia's reactor core with the power inside Castle Greyskull. This power may have also been connected to the energies in the Crystal Castle also since the new canon has She-Ra joining the journey.

Oo-Larr's weapons were the silver and grey like Adam's He-Man because he was the last guardian before we got to the prince. He was the one that created the last bit of mythos and mystery that "He-Man" is an eternal protector of the sword and a threat to evil. He gave Adam cover by acting as He-Man until Adam came of age. And since Adam's transformation in He-Man makes him look older, depending on which canon you follow, helped make it appear that they were 2 separate people. It was a flimsy trick but it worked to hide Adam's secret for quite awhile. Plus this is a planet with magical beings running around, so a near immortal barbarian warrior is not to out of place.
    Wait your saying this green set should be going with adam? Not sure how that makes sense, how the colors correspond. It makes more sense that kg and heman have the same set or colors, as adam is the rightful heir to the power sword and the green set go to the jungle heman, oolar. That and him being the only one not having a set. I just don’t see the correlation between adam and that green set.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Just to clarify, He-Man's son's name is Prince Dare, not Darius. Darius is the leader of the Galactic Protectors in the Tri-Solar System.
    Dare is short for Darius. That is his nickname and many media have stated that as so.

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    Wait your saying this green set should be going with adam? Not sure how that makes sense, how the colors correspond. It makes more sense that kg and heman have the same set or colors, as adam is the rightful heir to the power sword and the green set go to the jungle heman, oolar. That and him being the only one not having a set. I just don’t see the correlation between adam and that green set.
    They are for the between time from after MOTU but just before New Adventures. The Power Sword's green look is a transitional form between the 2 main designs. It is meant to go with both Prince Adam, Regular He-Man and NA He-Man. It is how the sword looks going from grey and silver metal to green crystal with gold metal. Like the KG 2.0 sword is a transition between He-Ro's blue star sword and KG's grey and silver Power Sword.

Heroic Warrior
    Dare is short for Darius. That is his nickname and many media have stated that as so.
    Name one. Not because I don't believe you or anything, I would just like to see one, because this is compeletely new for me.

They are for the between time from after MOTU but just before New Adventures. The Power Sword's green look is a transitional form between the 2 main designs. It is meant to go with both Prince Adam, Regular He-Man and NA He-Man. It is how the sword looks going from grey and silver metal to green crystal with gold metal. Like the KG 2.0 sword is a transition between He-Ro's blue star sword and KG's grey and silver Power Sword.
    Now that you mention it, maybe this should be DARES power sword set, like a post transformation for the power sword from the new adventures design back to the original power sword look, with the power of starship eternia within it.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Capeträger View Post
    Name one. Not because I don't believe you or anything, I would just like to see one, because this is compeletely new for me.
    I'm also curious what media states this.

Also while the lineage and collection of info about Sword of Power and Sword of Protection here is very diligent. If we are going by MOTUClassics canon, there's no mention of something like Veena bringing her power also to the Sword for example. The info we have is about King Grayskull adding his power and Elders. But not Veena...
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Capeträger View Post
    Yeah I goofed on that one. I must have seen some other fans using the name Darius somewhere else. Dare is his name and that is all I can find in the legit sources. But Dare does kind of work as a short version of Darius anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I'm also curious what media states this.

Also while the lineage and collection of info about Sword of Power and Sword of Protection here is very diligent. If we are going by MOTUClassics canon, there's no mention of something like Veena bringing her power also to the Sword for example. The info we have is about King Grayskull adding his power and Elders. But not Veena...
    I answered the name issue in the above comment. As for the rest, I felt Veena was at least one of the supporting heroes to whoever the main guardians were at the time. Also she may not have added her power to the sword but she may have added it to the Orb like the rest of the council did. Of course her power may have instead been passed through the lineage of successive Sorceress that followed her.

I have got to be careful with my memory, I can easily mix up fan discussions with actual canon. Memory is a messy thing to deal with. I hope we get more info of the other guardians and what all became a part or the Power Sword/Orb of Power/Castle Greyskull.

Heroic Warrior
    I have to say, one of my favorite concepts officially added to the canon is that the Sword changes color and shape depending on who uses it and how. Skeletor gets it, it's purple. Adam's sword doesn't look like He-man's sword. Powered up... powered down.. .sci-fi... Alcala style... The sword mophs as needed by the personality of the user.

We’ve definitely got a lot of fan canon in this thread. For my two cents, regarding the weapons pack green weapons, I just give them to snake armor he man.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

The lime green power sword goes well with Dragon Blaster Skeletor. I gave an extra purple power sword and the lime green battleaxe to my DC Primal Age Joker; they look a lot better in his hands than the dinky little hatchet he came with. I also gave an extra Merman sword to the DC Primal Age King Shark, so now he too can dual-wield. I have my Marvel Legends Spiral figure currently holding Spirit of Grayskull's glow-in-the-dark sword and ax. (She's got six hands - five that can hold weapons - so she's almost like a living weapons rack.) She's also holding the silver Sir Laser Lot sword that came in one of the MOTU Classics weapons packs. I like that there are many color variations for the different weapons in MOTU Classics; they're just the right size to work well with lots of other action figure lines.