Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry DiTillio passes away

Larry DiTillio passes away

He-Man and She-Ra writer Larry DiTillio has passed away.

J. Michael Straczynski on Facebook and Twitter:
    About an hour ago, I learned that writer and all around family guy Larry DiTillio had passed away after a long illness.

This is so sad! I always had hoped to meet him at a future Power Con. What a huge impact his writing made on my childhood, as well as so many others here. This is gut-wrenching

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Yeah, I had hoped to meet him at a Power-Con as well. I know he went to one of the early ones, but not the last 3 I had gone to. He wrote for many shows of my childhood.

So sad. He wrote some of the best of MOTU Filmation. He will be missed.

Rest well Larry, thank you, my prayers for you and your family.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Ah damn, he was one of my favorites. Granamyr sheds a tear tonight, my friends.
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Snake Mountain stands, Wind Raider, and the Griffen

Sad news. May he rest in peace.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Oh man that sucks he died, may he RIP.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Very sad news to hear this, my condolences to his family and friends.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Heroic Warrior
    So sorry to hear this.

He named the Princess of Power! He wrote my faviourate She-Ra episode the Crystal Castle. Im gutted I will never get to meet him and shake his hand. But how lovely he got to see and appreciate all the love out there for his work on She-Ra and He-man and many other shows. Rest in Peace Larry. Much Love sent to you and your family.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

This hit me a lot harder than I expected. I only had a brief online interaction with him, but it left a lasting impact on me. I wrote a little about it on my blog.

Thanks for everything, Mr. DiTillio. I'm sorry I never got to say it in person.

Sea Hawk

Heroic Warrior
    The man was a genius . The world is a lesser place now . As a child and an adult , I dont normally care for names on credits but he was the exception . Not just HeMan and She Ra .

Many many other favorite and beloved toon episodes had his name immortalized on my brain .

RIP.

When Filmation tried to neuter She-Ra and to add insult to injury refused to give us story editor credit for the work we were doing, I forced the issue that we had to leave.
    How nice of JMS to exploit Larry's passing for sake of whatever his frustrations are with Filmation. None of that is true. NONE. The man himself has said he left because he wanted to work on "Bionic Six".
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Rebel Engerizer Bunny Princess Adora NJ's Avatar
    RIP Larry and thank you for everything you did. You help shape the person I am and my love of animation.
    For a peace and love in our universe- MotU and POP together !
    I have the power, and so can you!

Follow me on the Council of the First Ones Podcast.

Support The Great Rebellion Collector's Club

Princess Adora NJ

R.I.P., Mr. DiTillio.

Thank you for all the memories and inspiration!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I had the pleasure of inviting Larry to Power-Con several times. When he came to the show, it was always like chatting with a fellow fan instead of with my favorite He-Man and She-Ra writer.

Admittedly, I was kind of star-struck when I first met Larry, but he instantly put me at ease when we both naturally launched into a geekout conversation about Lovecraft, Laurel & Hardy, horror hosts, and role playing games. I remember in our email conversations leading up to his first time at Power-Con, he actually looked me up online and started asking me about Penny Dreadful and talking about classic horror.

Here was this great writer and creator for animation, sci-fi (Babylon5) and fantasy role-playing, but he was also clearly one of “us.” He even brought board games to Power-Con one year because he wanted to game with attendees.

I remember he seemed a little grumpy when I mentioned the then-new Mattel Granamyr figure (the memorable dragon character he created, among many other fan-favorite characters). He had no idea they’d made a toy of him. I offered to bring him over to the display case but he replied, “Nah that’s ok.” Later though, he found me and, smiling, said, “Ok, I DO wanna see Granamyr. Can you show me where it is?” I took him there, and I could tell he was really delighted to see this massive representation of his character. He had a big smile on his face and said, “Wow.” Then he frowned and said, “I dunno why they put that helmet on him. I always hated the helmet.” He gave the toy a good look then asked, “Do you think Matrel could send me one?” I replied, “They certainly should. You created him. Let’s ask right now.” At the time, the brand manager was Scott Neitlich. Scott wasn’t at the booth, so I took Larry to one of the young Mattel employees and introduced them. Larry gave them his contact info and, later, I followed up with Scott. I hope Larry got his Granamyr. He never did tell me whether he did or not.

Occasionally, we’d message each other, usually about some geeky thing or when I’d want to ask him a question about one of his characters.

I wish I had kept in better touch with Larry in recent years. He will be greatly missed.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    Very sad. He wrote stories that really connected with kids and had real substance to them rather than pandering and lame jokes like so many. That's a special gift.

I'm glad at least he is no longer suffering with his illness. He leaves an amazing legacy.

He will be missed. His contributions to many different forms of entertainment during the 80's were a big part of my childhood. God bless you Larry!!!

Master of New Adventures!
    Oh no! This is just tragic. Larry was a writer of towering talent and a true gentleman. He'll be missed...terribly.

R.I.P.

Snake Men Enthusiast QueenQuetzale's Avatar
    So sad I never got the chance to meet him... he created one of my favorite characters and wrote some of my favorite episodes, not just of the Filmation cartoons, but of 200x as well. He will be dearly missed.
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

Filmation Most Loved: Hordak, Catra, Sorceress
    NA Most Loved: Crita, Hoove
    MYP Most Loved: Skeletor, Orko, Snake Men
    MOTUC Most Wanted: MYP Skeletor, MYP Kobra Khan, Enchantress

Reposting my thoughts from Facebook:

I met him over 20 years ago at BotCon, he was a riot. I had printed out one of his Beast Wars scripts for him to sign. When I came up to him, he noticed it, and took hold of my forearm. "Where did you get this?" he said. "You aren't supposed to have this! SECURITY!!" Then he grinned from ear to ear and erupted in laughter. <3

He'll be missed. R.I.P.
    Where's the rest of the Vintage New Adventures?
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Hoove, Chef Allen, Catra variants, Starburst She-Ra, Hunga the Harpy
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon, Skystalker, Shecky

Another one of the great ones from our childhood lost. Very sad day indeed. May he Rest in peace, and blessings unto his family.
    Last edited by Cringer_luvr; March 18, 2019 at 04:03am.

Thank you for inspiring generations of fans and leaving a wonderful legacy for us to share!
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

Feeling a bit shocked. Very sad at the passing of such a great writer.