Thread: A question for techies

Master of New Adventures!

A question for techies

So I've got several Mac computers and I often get pop-ups about updating my software. The pop-ups also cleverly ask me if I want automatic updates in the future. But here's the thing: I've updated a few times in the past and when I do it usually changes stuff -- my technical term -- and I have to start learning something different all over again with no discernible difference in how my computer operates. Is it really all that important to update? Should I update every time it asks me to do so or should I opt for automatic updates or just keep declining them? Hell, I'm so low tech that I'm worried 'they' might know I'm asking this question and get ticked off.

Thanks.

My hubby says for a Mac you should only update once or twice a year.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Thanks for that, Icey, and thanks to your hubby.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    My hubby says for a Mac you should only update once or twice a year.

He loves Macs. He said truth be told they really do not even have to be updated that much. Most of the nasty things you can get on your computer really do not apply to Macs (from my understanding). I could be wrong though, I tend to glaze over when the hubby starts to talk geek - LOL!

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I tend to glaze over when the hubby starts to talk geek - LOL!
    You should say "speak geek" for the rhyme.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

There really is no need to update all the time, as long as your machine is running smoothly, no need. When there’s a big OS update you may want to update since older operating systems will eventually not get the necessary attention from the devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    You should say "speak geek" for the rhyme.
    Ha, much better! It is really bad when all of his friends are over and they are ALL speaking geek

Ha, much better! It is really bad when all of his friends are over and they are ALL speaking geek
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Speak geek is all Greek for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to one and all for the advice.

Chris here...

I've been a Mac user since January 2011 and I tend to pick & choose which updates I install or don't install. On average when I get a notification of an update to the operating system (as opposed to an app-specific update) I will tend to wait a few weeks before I do so.

Icey's husband is correct that Macs are immune to a lot of the computer viruses that are around, which mainly target Windows PC's (partly because of their greater prevalence, and partly because Windows is easier to hack into, LOL!). However, the sick perverted minds that come up with these computer viruses are now starting to come up with stuff to try & target Macs - so I would say that installing a security update every now & then is probably a wise precaution, just to be safe.

Something I would consider carefully is when you get a notification to update your actual operating system itself - e.g., my current Mac is running macOS 10.12 Sierra, and I keep getting notifications urging me to upgrade to macOS 10.14 Mojave. I tend to resist these without research, as sometimes in my experience you can upgrade the OS on a Mac and find the hardware isn't up-to-date enough to handle it, ditto if your Mac runs a lot of third-party apps these can sometimes stop functioning on a newer OS than they were designed to work with. That's not to say that I would never update the OS, and there are instances where it's a good idea - but when in doubt I would say don't do it.

As a side note - I adore Apple Mac computers, and even though they have damn near bankrupted me over the years I would never, ever go back to Windows - especially modern-day Windows. Truthfully, being a Mac user has saved me HOURS of wasted time trying to fix problems, and HOURS of frustration. It's wrong to say that they never crash, never slow down, never develop faults, but when I think back to my time using Windows machines, these issues are literally 500% - 1000% less when compared to those days!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

It took Kim ten years to get me to switch to Mac. I wish I'd done it nine and a half years sooner.

Totally agree with you, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

I've been a Mac user since January 2011 and I tend to pick & choose which updates I install or don't install. On average when I get a notification of an update to the operating system (as opposed to an app-specific update) I will tend to wait a few weeks before I do so.

Icey's husband is correct that Macs are immune to a lot of the computer viruses that are around, which mainly target Windows PC's (partly because of their greater prevalence, and partly because Windows is easier to hack into, LOL!). However, the sick perverted minds that come up with these computer viruses are now starting to come up with stuff to try & target Macs - so I would say that installing a security update every now & then is probably a wise precaution, just to be safe.

Something I would consider carefully is when you get a notification to update your actual operating system itself - e.g., my current Mac is running macOS 10.12 Sierra, and I keep getting notifications urging me to upgrade to macOS 10.14 Mojave. I tend to resist these without research, as sometimes in my experience you can upgrade the OS on a Mac and find the hardware isn't up-to-date enough to handle it, ditto if your Mac runs a lot of third-party apps these can sometimes stop functioning on a newer OS than they were designed to work with. That's not to say that I would never update the OS, and there are instances where it's a good idea - but when in doubt I would say don't do it.

As a side note - I adore Apple Mac computers, and even though they have damn near bankrupted me over the years I would never, ever go back to Windows - especially modern-day Windows. Truthfully, being a Mac user has saved me HOURS of wasted time trying to fix problems, and HOURS of frustration. It's wrong to say that they never crash, never slow down, never develop faults, but when I think back to my time using Windows machines, these issues are literally 500% - 1000% less when compared to those days!

Take care...

Nerd & Geek here... you'll find my name in the design credits of hundreds of games, mostly movie based titles like Transformers and Spider-Man.

The only updates you should worry about are security updates on PCs. On a Mac, you can literally go a year or so without applying a update.

I've owned Apple computers for nearly 40 years, starting with an Franklin Apple 2 clone I used in high-school and collage. I also have a PC laptop and a PC for VR games. So I have some perspective.

If you are working on your computer, for example creating artwork or video, Macs are the best. The OS works. Macs are stable as can be, the one I'm typing on right now hasn't been restarted in months but there are no signs of slowdown or memory leaks.

If all you are doing is playing games and surfing the net, PCs are the best. Cheaper and more games. But the OS is terrible, navigating files is a nightmare and the constant updates drive me nuts. My PC has be restarted at least once a week. I don't have access to my emails or any personal info on my PC. It's only used for games.

Mac Problems -
    One of the CPUs on my PowerMac died, I took it into the Apple store and they had it fixed (for free) two days later.
    OS get corrupted, reinstall OS and computer is just as it was.
    Aftermarket videocard fan died, not the fault of Apple.

PC Problems -
    OS get corrupted, reinstall OS... it wiped the computer clean. Had to reinstall everything.

After owning the DELL XPS PC for less than two months, the power supply stops working and when the technician came to my house with replacement parts he was unable to get it to turn on.
    So I had to ship the computer across the country and wait 2 weeks to get it back.

The "fixed" runs PC for less than a month, the power supply still isn't working and when the technician came to my house with replacement parts he was unable to get it to turn on.
    So I had to ship the computer across the country and wait 2 weeks to get it back.

The "fixed" PC arrives and died seconds later, the power supply stopped working and when the technician came to my house with replacement parts he was unable to get it to turn on.

I demanded a replacement, which they agreed to provide, but the PC model I purchased was no longer being made, thus...

Went from -
    3.6 Ghz to 4.4 Ghz
    1070 GTX to 1080 GTX
    DVD burner to Blu-Ray burner
    120 SSD to 512 SSD
    Windows 10 Standard to Windows Pro

A decent upgrade, but if that was my main work computer I would have lost about 20k while waiting to get it repaired and replaced.
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

Thanks for that comprehensive information, BV. Especially appreciate that you put it in terms a low-tech guy like me can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    Nerd & Geek here... you'll find my name in the design credits of hundreds of games, mostly movie based titles like Transformers and Spider-Man.

The only updates you should worry about are security updates on PCs. On a Mac, you can literally go a year or so without applying a update.

I've owned Apple computers for nearly 40 years, starting with an Franklin Apple 2 clone I used in high-school and collage. I also have a PC laptop and a PC for VR games. So I have some perspective.

If you are working on your computer, for example creating artwork or video, Macs are the best. The OS works. Macs are stable as can be, the one I'm typing on right now hasn't been restarted in months but there are no signs of slowdown or memory leaks.

If all you are doing is playing games and surfing the net, PCs are the best. Cheaper and more games. But the OS is terrible, navigating files is a nightmare and the constant updates drive me nuts. My PC has be restarted at least once a week. I don't have access to my emails or any personal info on my PC. It's only used for games.

Mac Problems -
    One of the CPUs on my PowerMac died, I took it into the Apple store and they had it fixed (for free) two days later.
    OS get corrupted, reinstall OS and computer is just as it was.
    Aftermarket videocard fan died, not the fault of Apple.

PC Problems -
    OS get corrupted, reinstall OS... it wiped the computer clean. Had to reinstall everything.

After owning the DELL XPS PC for less than two months, the power supply stops working and when the technician came to my house with replacement parts he was unable to get it to turn on.

The "fixed" runs PC for less than a month, the power supply still isn't working and when the technician came to my house with replacement parts he was unable to get it to turn on.

The "fixed" PC arrives and died seconds later, the power supply stopped working and when the technician came to my house with replacement parts he was unable to get it to turn on.

I demanded a replacement, which they agreed to provide, but the PC model I purchased was no longer being made, thus...

Went from -
    3.6 Ghz to 4.4 Ghz
    1070 GTX to 1080 GTX
    DVD burner to Blu-Ray burner
    120 SSD to 512 SSD
    Windows 10 Standard to Windows Pro

A decent upgrade, but if that was my main work computer I would have lost about 20k while waiting to get it repaired and replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    It took Kim ten years to get me to switch to Mac. I wish I'd done it nine and a half years sooner.

I wonder why we don't all have MACs, then? I've never had one.

I wonder why we don't all have MACs, then? I've never had one.
    I don't follow your logic.

When did Kim first try to get you to switch?
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

I didn't know she knew Mer-Man's Minon! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I didn't know she knew Mer-Man's Minon! LOL.
    I too am confused!

I Posted: "It took Kim ten years to get me to switch to Mac. I wish I'd done it nine and a half years sooner."

Then you posted: "I wonder why we don't all have MACs, then? I've never had one." The inference somehow relating to my not taking Kim's advice for over nine and half years and that you and everyone else would have if she gave it to you, thus BV's post of: "When did Kim first try to get you to switch?"

BV was trying to be clever and funny...and I think he did a pretty good job.

I too am confused!