Thread: Jordan Peele's US (2019)

Jordan Peele's US (2019)

One of my most anticipated movies of the year! i enjoyed the director's own Get Out in 2017 and one of my fave films of that year as he's a promising new director of the thriller, mystery and horror genres.

Can't wait to see it sunday.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

It's interesting to note that Kenyan actress Lupita Nyong'o (Nakia in Black Panther) plays 2 roles in this movie - Adelaide Thomas and Red, her doppelgänger.
    Last edited by Neophron; March 26, 2019 at 10:46pm.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Please don't spoil the film. Seriously, think!

I just got from seeing Us. So without spoiling anything: I think I liked it? But I don't ever need to see it again. Get Out was much better. There were some scary moments, but it was very.....out there.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

If you liked Get Out, you'll like US. It has the same pros and cons as the first movie.

Good:
    Direction
    acting
    music
    lighting
    tension filled

Bad:
    Third act science doesn't work at a fundamental level.
    The "twist" in US was obvious, figured it out in the first six minutes.

Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    If you liked Get Out, you'll like US. It has the same pros and cons as the first movie.
    I agree with those and the film had a David Lynch and Cronenberg feel to it.

Saw it last nite... I quite enjoyed it. Great tension, some very creepy aspects to it.. and had Tim Heidecker in it... FANTASTIC!
    GIMME TOYS!-

Lots of people seem surprised Jordan Peele went into horror... they clearly never saw the K&P "Family Matters" sketch.

It's nice to see audiences are supporting fresh new original horror films in the mainstream, well not necessarily original as nothing is original but something different like Get Out, A Quiet Place etc. and it's different than another re-adaptation of a book that was previously filmed, another pointless remake like Poltergeist, another pointless sequel/remake/reboot to a dead franchise like Hellraiser or Saw or Elm Street etc. when those franchise should just stay dead and buried as we need new horror icons and new horror franchises. Afterall i do support independent and foreign horror film genres outside the mainstream like Mandy to The Collector films to Thirst (2009) but when there is a mainstream horror film that is different like Get Out or Quiet Place, i support that.

I'm looking forward to Crawl this summer even Scary Tales to Tell in the Dark which are something different and i did liked IT 2017 but in both versions and the book i felt the kid vs monster thing was done better in Monster Squad when in the book/original mini-series i like the adult part better and part 2 might be better than part 1.

I noticed Peele is hosting the "new" Twilight Zone series. I suppose he's now more into the horror scene? While I don't question his ability to host a horror series, I do question the network's need to use an old series title and apparently do remakes of its episodes, rather than simply use a unique title and let it go on its own merits. They've tried similar revivals of the show before and they failed for the same reasons- trying too hard to "update" original episodes or ride Serling's coattails for name recognition, and in this case I wonder if Peele is simply an on-screen host reading a prepared script? Letting him write an anthology horror series would probably do better than superficial updates to old work while he hosts the opening segment. And CBS is limiting the series to their paid subscription service which barely anyone uses which just seems like it's asking the show to tank.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I noticed Peele is hosting the "new" Twilight Zone series. I suppose he's now more into the horror scene? While I don't question his ability to host a horror series, I do question the network's need to use an old series title and apparently do remakes of its episodes, rather than simply use a unique title and let it go on its own merits. They've tried similar revivals of the show before and they failed for the same reasons- trying too hard to "update" original episodes or ride Serling's coattails for name recognition, and in this case I wonder if Peele is simply an on-screen host reading a prepared script? Letting him write an anthology horror series would probably do better than superficial updates to old work while he hosts the opening segment. And CBS is limiting the series to their paid subscription service which barely anyone uses which just seems like it's asking the show to tank.
    I enjoyed the 80s Twilight Zone myself.