Thread: Toy Power Podcast episode 113 - Interview with Brian Flynn of Super7

Toy Power Podcast episode 113 - Interview with Brian Flynn of Super7

Toy Power Podcast has just released an interview with Brian Flynn. He talks about Snake Mountain (cost, method of release etc) the Masters of the Universe Classics line and a whole heap of interesting Masters tidbits!

Interview with Brian Flynn

Thanks to Darren (Fisto) for organizing for Brian to come on the show, and a big thanks to Mr Brian Flynn for making the time!
    "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

Got to listen to the whole thing. Some very interesting stuff about the Masters line, and some history behind the vintage line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thank you, manowar. It was an absolute honour and privilege being able to talk to Brian Flynn about MOTU and the other properties. The vintage stuff, that he talks about seeing is stuff that I can onky dream of. Take Care, Darren
    Please, give the Toy Power Podcast a chance: Here we speak with Brian Flynn, owner of Super7 https://omny.fm/shows/toy-power/113-...-power!podcast.

Just a side note.
    It's pretty well documented that the He-Man toy line was not originally developed to be Conan. On top of that, we have numerous people who no longer work at Mattel who have no real love for Mattel who openly state how He-Man was not started out as a Conan toy line. So the Savage He-Man figure wasn't early version of the line where they were making a Conan figure.

Calling He-Man a Conan knock-off...? Fantasy was big back then, and there were numerous fantasy franchises.
    Conan in 1982 is probably the big daddy.
    But you had the Wizards animated feature as well as the LOTR and Hobbit in the late 70s, quickly followed by the Heavy Metal cartoon in 1981. That magazine and the fantasy mags at the time were hot.
    Then you also had Beastmaster in 1982, as well as Dragonslayer in 1981 (yeah.. I know..) , The Sword and the Sorcerer in 1982 (again.. I know...) and Deasthstalker in 1983 (yeah... again...).
    So while I think it's fair to say Conan inspired a lot of things, including He-Man, fantasy was a hot genre back then. So to'may'to, to'mah'to on that one.

But in regards to that cancelled check Brian was talking about, I'm fairly certain it is in regards to the 1989 lawsuit. In this, Mattel paid an additional 25K in regards to the Conan license and how its termination was handled. That check wasn't about him being paid not to sue them over MOTU.

All we need to do is look at it logically. If the owner of Conan had a case, and it was proven somehow that MOTU was originally a Conan line and Mattel was in the wrong, just how much money do you think it would take to pay off the owners of Conan for a toy line that generated over a billion in sales as a toy and licensing engine?
    The answer is: possibly enough to bankrupt Mattel.

That babbling spiel aside,
    great show as usual, gents! Keep it up.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    This was an interesting interview and good job by the hosts on the questions.

I'm a little apprehensive about how the upcoming movie may effect Super7's license and the overall Masters of the Universe licenses. Will Mattel put a stop on everything Masters of the Universe related? It'd be a shame as I have little interest in the new film and just want more Masters of the Universe Classics.

I appreciated Brian's answers of the 1987 movie figure rights. Would like Skeletor's Troopers and such, but it doesn't sound likely. And quite interesting on the finds from that former Mattel employee estate. Would love to see the sketches, especially more giants planned beyond Tytus and Megator.

Great episode as usual Toy Power team!

I hope Brian double downs on that statement about liking to make obscure stuff and ends up giving us more New Adventures. Though it sounds like the release of the new MOTU movie will probably throw a wrench into them being able to produce MOTU product for a while. Here's hoping that there are plenty more delays for the movie and that it doesn't come out until 2025.
    Last edited by Jean; March 31, 2019 at 04:21pm.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

I really hope doesn't put a stop to all of the MOTU output happening right now for the sake of the movie. Hopefully they see everything being released right now as just a way to bolster it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Listening to the latest episode of Roast Gooble Dinner, it seems that the product designer over at Mondo, Brock, has heard similar things from Mattel in respect to their ability to licences Masters in the 1/6th scale. It certainly sounds like a consistent theme. With that, and the end of the licence to Funko for Pop Vinyl's, it certainly seems that there may be some uncertainty at this stage.

I must admit, I tend to agree with Brian's thoughts on this one. I think particularly the Super7 and Mondo releases are so niche that they are unlikely to impact the general consumers appetite for Masters product leading into a movie. And I think having product out there is better than nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I really hope doesn't put a stop to all of the MOTU output happening right now for the sake of the movie. Hopefully they see everything being released right now as just a way to bolster it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugitoid View Post
    Listening to the latest episode of Roast Gooble Dinner, it seems that the product designer over at Mondo, Brock, has heard similar things from Mattel in respect to their ability to licences Masters in the 1/6th scale. It certainly sounds like a consistent theme. With that, and the end of the licence to Funko for Pop Vinyl's, it certainly seems that there may be some uncertainty at this stage.

I must admit, I tend to agree with Brian's thoughts on this one. I think particularly the Super7 and Mondo releases are so niche that they are unlikely to impact the general consumers appetite for Masters product leading into a movie. And I think having product out there is better than nothing at all.
    I listened to both podcasts, but didn't catch the same vibe from Brock that I did from Brian. I will admit I may have missed it, though.

It would be a shame if Mattel forced all of this product to come to a hault; it would show that after all these years, they STILL don't really *get* this fandom. I understand that the movie is seeking to branch out to a broad audience, but burning the core fans in this way is not the way to do it. We'll still buy the movie line (or at least a good portion of us will)! We've shown that with zero media support, we can sustain Club Grayskull, Collector's Choice, Reaction figures, 5.5 vintage style figures, Loyal Subjects, Funko Pops, Mondo 1/6 figures, and statues from Sideshow and Pop Culture Shock.

CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitoid View Post

Mattel or whoever holds the reins of a possible declination of this movie better think twice before they pave the way so drastically.
    I mean, I really doubt that the new generation (well known for being much more interested in new technologies...) would even spend a cent in any toyline nowadays. Time will tell.
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I listened to both podcasts, but didn't catch the same vibe from Brock that I did from Brian. I will admit I may have missed it, though.
    Yeah I hear what you are saying, Brock is pretty laid back in his explanation of the dealings with Mattel and Brandon to date. But he does note Brandon has moved on and the have commenced conversations with Mattel about future plans. Its still seems that they are unclear, and potentially even Mattel are unclear at this stage due to the movie being in the early inception stages. My interpretation is that Brock eludes to the upcoming movie maybe having an impact on licencing at the 39 minute mark of Roast Gobble Dinner. Brock says in regard to licensing:

"We're Talking to them (Mattel). Sounds like they're still trying to figure out whats going on with the movie stuff, we're still hoping to continue doing this for years to come, but we'll see. You never know. But everything seems pretty cool."

To my mind, it sounds like the movie could have an impact on what companies are able to do. My read of this comment is consistent with what Brian spoke about on the Toy Power Podcast, in that they like to have a year without any licenced product before the movie drops. Hopefully the powers at Mattel do not enforce a year blackout on product before the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It's pretty well documented that the He-Man toy line was not originally developed to be Conan. On top of that, we have numerous people who no longer work at Mattel who have no real love for Mattel who openly state how He-Man was not started out as a Conan toy line.
    Bingo. I have heard it straight from Mark Taylor's mouth that he was working on both Conan and MOTU designs concurrently back in 80-81. They were always intended to be two different things.

I think where sometimes things get muddy and mysterious though is whether or not some of those Conan designs may have quietly slid over into the existing MOTU work flow after Mattel knew they weren't going to pursue the former as a toy line. It's an especially enticing idea when you consider that the same guy was doing design work on both lines.

I like to just leave it vague and mysterious. More fun that way.